JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. The Battle Is the Lord's

Q3. (1 Samuel 17:47) Why do we so often forget that “the battle is the Lord’s”? What does that phrase actually mean? How can we avoid the arrogance of pulling God into our battles (“God is on my side”), rather than engaging in His battles (“I am on God’s side”)?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (1 Samuel 17:47) Why do we so often forget that “the battle is the Lord’s”? What does that phrase actually mean? How can we avoid the arrogance of pulling God into our battles (“God is on my side”), rather than engaging in His battles (“I am on God’s side”)?

We often forget that “the battle is the Lord’s” because we allow personal and communal experiences to step in the fight the battle. That phrase actually mean to cast your care on God and allow Him to fight your battle, be it financial, health problem, etc.; any problems that one might face. We can avoid the arrogance of pulling God into our battles (“God is on my side”), rather than engaging in His battles (“I am on God’s side”) by always stepping aside and allow God to protect us and trust him to save us through every situation.

I forget that the battle is the Lord's because rebellion is still part of my spirit, my solace in the midst of a storm. I will win the battle, regardless of what God thinks, boasts my ego. Some traits take baby-toe- step journeys, with a lot of Saul wrangling in the process. I am in formation. What that means is that I shall practice praying "into Your hands, I commend my spirit," not just in Compline, but all throughout the day and night. Another great use for my phone's calendar reminder. That way, I won't be tempted to arrogantly proclaim God as mine. I will more deeply know that I am His.

Q3. (1 Samuel 17:47) Why do we so often forget that "the battle is the Lord's"? Information overload, arrogance, pride, and failure to read our Bible to "refill our TRUST AND BELIEF."

What does that phrase actually mean? Regardless of how strong we are; this is God's world, we are here to provide flesh; His Spirit does the rest. All battles are his as Satan daily incites them to win us over to his world.

How can we avoid the arrogance of pulling God into our battles ("God is on my side"), rather than engaging in His battles ("I am on God's side")?

Remain humble, prepared, and informed. We must remember that it is His world. We are simply tools and clay in the Potter's hands.

Q3. (1 Samuel 17:47)

Why do we so often forget that “the battle is the Lord’s”?

We often forget that "the battle is the Lord's" because of our pride and arrogance.

What does that phrase actually mean?

That phrase actually mean that, God will act on our behalf when we trust in him and are obedient to his voice.

How can we avoid the arrogance of pulling God into our battles (“God is on my side”), rather than engaging in His battles (“I am on God’s side”)?

We can avoid the arrogance of pulling God into our battles ("God is on my side"), rather than engaging in His battles ("I am on God's side") by engaging Him in matters which they please Him and not on those which we want but do not please Him.

Q3. (1 Samuel 17:47) Why do we so often forget that "the battle is the Lord's"?

I believe there are many reasons why we forget "the battle is the Lord's – there are two major reasons that I believe can sum it up –

1. Our lives DO NOT show that “We fear God", we do not strive to serve Him, we do not obey His voice as rebellion is in our hearts forgetting (Pro. 10:27) the fear of the LORD prolongs life

(Pro. 14:27) the fear of the LORD is a fountain of life that one may turn away from the snares of death.

(Pro. 19:23) fear of the LORD leads to life, and whoever has it rests satisfied; he will not be visited by harm

2. The battle we are facing IS NOT "God's battle", but a battle the flesh has brought on us, for we have become unfruitful, allowing formality, our hearts are lukewarm to the things of God, forgetting what 2 Corinthians 7:1 tells us, Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the FEAR OF GOD.

The battle is the LORD'S meaning I believe is found in (1 Samuel 17:46) that all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel

I believe we are drawing closer to the “GREAT BATTLE OF THE LORD” and we will see the Lord's judgment coming against the nations that commit genocide against Israel, against Israel's God, and those who have put their trust and faith in the God of Israel’s Son.

Ezek. 25:17 And I will execute great vengeance upon them with furious rebukes; and they shall know that I am the LORD, when I shall lay my vengeance upon them.

Therefore we must be strong in FAITH as David was and put on our full armor of God, so that we will be ready to stand against the powers, the GIANTS of this world, for the Bridegroom is coming for the bride who has replaced those stones with OIL, enough oil to keep her lamp burning, as she is watching and waiting for His coming. :)

Q3. (1 Samuel 17:47) Why do we so often forget that “the battle is the Lord’s”?

Because we feel overpowered by the circumstances around us and feel like the whole world is closing in on us. We try to trust God but end up just asking for His help in solving the peripheral problems and not the central issues.

We're just soldiers in God's army. The really big picture, the universal picture, the ultimate battle, is God vs evil in all its guises. God's long range plan is to bring all creation under Christ and to place Jesus over all. Everything that happens in the world is happening under God's sovereign control and will eventually, within the time frame set by God, reslove into God's and Jesus' inevitable total victory. Even back in David's time God was laying the foundations for the Messianic Kingdom by establishing David to be the earthly ancestor of Jesus. David's very first victory over Goliath laid the cornerstone for the Kingdom of Heaven. Everything we do in the service of God is another step towards God's total victory.

That's a mighty big overview of what Christianity is about, but there's more. In our individual lives we need to be victorious over our personal spiritual and worldly enemies . . . in ways that honor God, and not ourselves. God is also about supplying us with the help we need. But we need to keep in mind that God is in control and that we serve Him and no the other way around.

How can we avoid the arrogance of pulling God into our battles (“God is on my side”), rather than engaging in His battles (“I am on God’s side”)?

That's not easy! Wars have been fought by armies who claimed they had God on their side. I think the safest way to go is to ask God to help us in a way that will bring glory to HIS name and not our own. So the old "God please make me win the lottery" is a useless prayer. "Give us this day our daily bread" is the right prayer to pray.

This question is the mirror of all that I have experienced recently. I have said unto the skies many time: "Where are you Lord? This battle is too much bear!" and I would receive no answer(or so I thought) and would begin to try with my own hands and still fail. It is a tough journey for Believers. The phrase could actually mean, let Him handle it. In other words once you have called on the Lord in prayer, you have to cast your cares on Him. this means one of two things: 1) he will gently lead you into appropriate steps as He works things out, or 2) step back.

We can avoid the arrogance od pulling God into our battles by remembering Proverbs 3:5 "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding."

(1 Samuel 17:47) Why do we so often forget that “the battle is the Lord’s”?

Simple answer we attempt to handle situations, circumstances and events in our own strength.

Just as King Saul and the other Israelites saw Goliath as an impassable obstacle, we see most mountains or their likenesses as obstacles. The thing that is before us, tangible or intangible, is before us, and most often our first recourse is to respond / act with or within our own strength or with the resources that we have available. Even though David did likewise, prior to his encounter with Goliath he perceived that he was fighting for The Lord.

The Scriptures gives the depiction that David is being used by the Lord, that he is the Lord’s instrument, vise David simply seeking to overcome the circumstance. Although Goliath was a physical being, there was something spiritual going on as well. Prior to the battle Goliath spoke of his gods, and cursed God; David speak of the True and Living God would deliver / save. Even though the things may be tangible, nevertheless those that are His, wrestle not against flesh and blood.

There are more verses than 1 Samuel 17:47 that conveys “the battle is the Lord’s” (2 Chronicles 20:15, Zechariah 4:6, Exodus 14:13-18; Judges 7:2-7), they do not say this in exactness; however they carry the same concept. I believe the phrase simple mean to trust, obey, and surrender to Him. As He guides, He will provide, the deliverance may arrive supernaturally as it did when Hezekiah needed Him against the Assyrian king or as it was when here as David was an instrument being used.

It is my belief that the phrase does not mean the Lord desires that we go out to engaging in violent physical actions on His behalf saying that it is for His cause.

(Arrogance / haughtiness / arrogance self-importance). Simply by ascribing to His Will, placing His Will first and not our own. By honoring Him in all that we do, as we remain in intimate relationship to Him we will recognized His voice. As we recognize His voice we will act / move accordingly. He may instruct that we do something or He may instruct that we remain still.

Motive is extremely important, pure motives unto to Lord is key!

Q3. (1 Samuel 17:47) Why do we so often forget that "the battle is the Lord's"? What does that phrase actually mean? How can we avoid the arrogance of pulling God into our battles ("God is on my side"), rather than engaging in His battles ("I am on God's side")?

We forget that the battle is the Lord's because we usually want to do things our way. We want to get solutions immediately. We get fearful and dismayed. We want to engage into battle on our own.We fail to keep the word of our testimony.We forget that it is HIM that avenges us and gives the sterngth. Without HIM we can do nothing. (Ps.18:34,39)

The phrase means that God is a man of war. His promises are yes and amen. It means that it is God that fights for you while you hold your peace. We need to know that GOD is the LORD. (Exodus 14:13-14)

We can avoid the arrogance by trusting God to see us through HIS own plan (Jer. 29:11)

Avoid rebelling gainst GOD in disobedience. We fail to live up to God's will for us which is in HIs word.

Our side: is self dependant, failing to align with HIs word. Self seeking and it is ver LIMITED. we lose faith.

GOD's side: We are never ashamed when we line up with the word. We are successful on God's side.

Rev (12:11)

Q3. (1 Samuel 17:47)

Why do we so often forget that "the battle is the Lord's"?

How can we avoid the arrogance of pulling God into our battles ("God is on my side"), rather than engaging in His battles ("I am on God's side")?

We so often forget that the battle is the Lord’s because we are so self-centred and want to do everything our way. We want to be in control instead of handing over to our Lord. We need to hand over our battles to God allowing Him to be in control – remembering “when I am weak then I am strong.” The Lord will make us mighty in his own fight and we will be confident of victory. Can the Lord be defeated? The battle David had was done for the glory of God. For he had come to the battle in the name of our Lord, the true and living God, not any false god of the Philistines. Goliath had ridiculed God and blasphemed His name, and the world had to be shown who the true God was. By defeating Goliath, David had brought great honour to the name of our Lord. In actual fact this was a contest between the true God of Israel and the false gods of the Philistines. This was a victory for our Lord. We need to recognise that we can have victory only by our faith and confidence in God. Not forgetting who we represent and the promises He has made to us. His power is always available to us, for God wants to use His people to magnify His name to all the nations of the earth. Make it God's cause and never let it become a personal and selfish matter.

We often forget the battle is the Lord's because from the day we are born we are taught what we should expect in life and how we are to act and what we need to achieve to get it for ourselves. This of course is all set on a worldly standard. We set out to "conquer" and "win" and submitting to anything other than our will is rare.

To know the battle is the Lord's is to be submitted to HIS will, not our own! This is an about face to all we have learned. Our pride has to go along the wayside and "our" plans are given over for "HIS" plan. We give up the control and accept God's sovereign state. Once we learn that, then we can humbly wait on Him to win those battles in life we face or to get clear direction for His will in our lives. His will becomes our will and we have a GREAT advocate in that, that nothing can come against!

We can avoid arrogance in trying to pull God into our battles (God is on my side) by first, not assuming we know everything. We need to be prayerful for direction and we need to be humble in receiving it. We need a clear understanding of God's Word so our thoughts are aligned with truth. But I think it imperative we don't "march forward" with our own views. We need to WAIT many times and see where God leads things because we often times want to hurry to get from point A to point B in our finite vision but God is also bringing other areas to completion before the wholeness of His infinite will is to be realized!

I can only speak for myself, and my reason is that for half of my life I didn't know the Lord! I grew up in a neglectful abusive home and believed that I was on my own, that there was no one who would or could help me, and that as a child (and into adulthood), I had no resources. It has taken a number of years as a believer to 'renew my mind", and erase the old messages. But when in a crisis it's almost always a knee jerk reaction to go back to what I knew....it still happens, but now only for a minute or two, then I engage with the Lord and know that I'm never alone, He is my shield and buckler and owns all the resources I could ever need.....Once I get to that place, I can relax and trust Him to handle the situation.... without me or intervening on my behalf and guiding and giving me wisdom for the next step.

It means to me that God is Sovereign and as in Ps 199:91 "All things serve God", which includes Satan. So whatever the battle I'm in or is coming against me, He is the victor, and will bring victory and the outcome will serve His purposes and my good. It means He has unlimited resources, including thousands of angels He can dispatch if He desires, to enter the fight and subdue evil forces. It means that I'm to remember that the war is not with flesh and blood but with unseen powers and principalities who hate Him and hate me, and I'm to cry "Abba, Help", and "He comes running." It means when I've called out to Him and no guidance or the next steps to take have been given, I'm to STAND! If it's an inner battle with sin or subduing the flesh, I've learned that my will power is zilch! But He does "all things well", and delights in being asked to help me! That way I don't depend on my strength alone, and He gets the glory for every victory!

I would say, Stop and ask Him before being pulled into a battle! "Father, is this something worth fighting for? Something You want me to be involved in? If so, How? Please show me! If not, I put it in Your capable hands and I'll stand on the sidelines and pray, or in some cases, detach and disengage and let go of wanting to have a say in the outcome!

Q3. (1 Samuel 17:47) Why do we so often forget that "the battle is the Lord's"? What does that phrase actually mean? How can we avoid the arrogance of pulling God into our battles ("God is on my side"), rather than engaging in His battles ("I am on God's side")?

Being raised by one of the "Greatest Generation" I was raised to pullmy self up by my own boot straps. Independence was a highly repsectable virtue. The problem was that often God was left out of that equation. If I needed any type of help for my battles that was a sign of weakness. Even though as I grew older I have realized the error in that teaching I still slip back into that "stinking thinking" at times.

"The battle is the Lord's" points to the fact of the soveringty of the Lord. He ask us to come to him and he does so because he wants to be our guide. He knows the way of the Lord and if we depend on Him we will stay in God's will. But we have to remeber that the battle is the Lord's and not ours. It's ludicrous for us to try and fight any battle outside of Jusus's guidance.

We must always remember that God is the creator and we are the created. We are responsible to live a life totally committed to him. We are the followers never the leader.

We forget the battle is the Lord's because we are used to fighting for ourselves. We lack practical faith that leaves our circumstances in God's hands because we believe in our our abilities. The battle is the Lord's means that in conflict, God is for us and is there to help you overcome. We need not go through our conflicts with human solutions which never result in positive results but use God's methods like faith, fasting, prayer etc whch seem 'weak' in our minds but actually are stronger as weapons than any thing human we would resort to.

To avoid pulling God into our battles but engaging in his instead we need to ask for wisdom from God to know the difference. Fighting battles is not about us and our honour but God and his honour. When we realise this, we will fight his battles and use his weapons.

Q3. (1 Samuel 17:47) Why do we so often forget that “the battle is the Lord’s”? Habit. I am so accustomed to being in charge, or listening and following the directions of someone else, I forget toturn everything over o God. At home, I do the same. All my daily activities, my very life is a battle. Good v.s. evil. I need to be on Gods side always.

What does that phrase actually mean? God is here, with us everywhere. The battle could be choices, decisions, childcare, the list is endless, but we need to be on Gods side in it all

How can we avoid the arrogance of pulling God into our battles (“God is on my side”), rather than engaging in His battles (“I am on God’s side”)?Remember how puny and frail we are, then look how mighty and awesome God is. Ask Him.

1 Samuel 17:47

Q). Why do we so often forget that "the battle is the Lord's"?

A). So often we trust in our own strength. Or, just as bad, feel powerless and defeated because we don't have any strength.

#

Q). What does that phrase actually mean?

A). David makes it clear that he is coming with Yahweh's power and authority.

#

Q). How can we avoid the arrogance of pulling God into our battles ("God is on my side"), rather than engaging in His battles ("I am on God's side")?

A). God will act on our behalf when we trust in him and are obedient to his voice.

* All answers are quoted from the lesson.

We often forget "the battle is the Lord's" because we want to win the battle on our own or we are too busy trying to help God fight our battle.

I believe this phrase means ("The battle is the Lord's") we belongs to the Lord and he will fight our battle as he has done for me many,many times when I turned to Him.

1 Peter 5: 6-7

Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that He may lift you up in due time.

"Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you."

How can we avoid the arrogance of pulling God into our battle? Be humble unto God.

1 Peter 5: 5

"God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble."

We often forget that the battle is the Lord's, when we step out of faith and trusting in Him. We do not have enough faith to know that God have already given us the victory. Like saul and the men of Israel, allowed their perception of goliath to put fear in them. When we are allowing on our own strength we have took on our own battle. Jesus said, in this world we are going to have trials, but be of good cheer for He had overcome the world. When we donot know that God has given us the victory, we tend to take on solving or handling our problems on our own strength. When this happen, we have forgotten the battle is the Lord's.

What does that phrase actually mean? How can we avoid the arrogance of pulling God into our battles (“God is on my side”), rather than engaging in His battles (“I am on God’s side”)?

We can avoid the arrogance of pulling God into our battles when we stop stepping out of the will of God. We are Children of God and we must obey Him. Because we live in this flesh body, we tend to chase after our wants. we feel because God is on my side i can do what I want, behave like i want and have what i want. Most of the time this kind of thinking put us in trouble and we want God to come to our aid. When it comes to engaging in God's battles, it is more spiritual then fleshly so we put more value of the fleshly thing then the spiritual. We do not know how to deny ourselves, we judge other wrongly instead of helping others, and we do not intercede or pray for others as we should. We have to stop be self-center and become Christ Center and know because we are Christ disciples we have enter a war. Satan come to kill steal and destroy and if we are going to engaged in God's battle we must spread the Good News. Lifes is at stake. This is not our home. We are in God's Army, on God's Side fighting for souls.

Q3. (1 Samuel 17:47) Why do we so often forget that "the

battle is the Lord's"? What does that phrase actually mean?

How can we avoid the arrogance of pulling God into our

battles ("God is on my side"), rather than engaging in His

battles ("I am on God's side")

We tend to forget that battle is the Lord simply because we fail to put that matter into the hands of the Lord. We are rather proud,arrogant and not submissive to the Lord. We take it in our hands and do everything to fight it out because we chose not to trust God.

The phrase actually means is when you have committed yourself entirely to the Lord.all thats concerning me is the Lords. He will fight it out for me ,rather deal with me and equip me with power and grace and strength to march on and fight the battle. He is with me all the time and through Him I can win .

Obedience,trust and submitting totally to the will of God reduces my arrogance of pulling Him into our battles. Prayer praise and worship and spending time daily with the Lord and his word makes me hear more of Him. The spirit of the Lord will guide us ,instruct us and help us face any battle provided I abide and remain in the Lord. Childlike faith in the Lord and submitting my will to Him will surely help us win any battles

IGNORANCE

God is looking for the man who is helpless, the man who does not dependon his own strength, on his own understanding GOD he is looking for the man who is totaly dependend on Him alone.

By stop following our own plans instead of God.

Isaiah 30 v 15 The holy Lord God of Israel had told all of you, “I will keep you safe if you turn back to me and calm down. I will make you strongif you quietly trust me.”

Mark 12:20 As we love Him we honor Him, loving Him means doing His Will because we treasure and value His plans. "Loving Him means expanding all our emotional, spiritual, mental and physical energy for His sake and not our own. Though we still relate to others and have activities in this world, everything is reference to His central role in our lives." Chris Tiegreen

Submit to the Lord, Seek counsel of the Lord, Remain in His Will,

Isaiah 31:1-3

1 Woe to them that go down to Egypt for help; and stay on horses, and trust in chariots, because they are many; and in horsemen, because they are very strong; but they look not unto the Holy One of Israel, neither seek the LORD! 2 Yet he also is wise, and will bring evil, and will not call back his words: but will arise against the house of the evildoers, and against the help of them that work iniquity. 3 Now the Egyptians are men, and not God; and their horses flesh, and not spirit. When the LORD shall stretch out his hand, both he that helpeth shall fall, and he that is holpen shall fall down, and they all shall fail together.

Isaiah here once again condemns the Judeans for relying on human strength and or influence (Egypt) instead of God. The people of God here think they are wise but instead are foolish. True wisdom rest with God, and He knows best how to overthrow Assyria.

Mark 12:20 As we love Him we honor Him, loving Him means doing His Will because we treasure and value His plans. "Loving Him means expanding all our emotional, spiritual, mental and physical energy for His sake and not our own. Though we still relate to others and have activities in this world, everything is reference to His central role in our lives." Chris Tiegreen

Submit to the Lord, Seek counsel of the Lord, Remain in His Will,

Isaiah 31:1-3

1 Woe to them that go down to Egypt for help; and stay on horses, and trust in chariots, because they are many; and in horsemen, because they are very strong; but they look not unto the Holy One of Israel, neither seek the LORD! 2 Yet he also is wise, and will bring evil, and will not call back his words: but will arise against the house of the evildoers, and against the help of them that work iniquity. 3 Now the Egyptians are men, and not God; and their horses flesh, and not spirit. When the LORD shall stretch out his hand, both he that helpeth shall fall, and he that is holpen shall fall down, and they all shall fail together.

Isaiah here once again condemns the Judeans for relying on human strength and or influence (Egypt) instead of God. The people of God here think they are wise but instead are foolish. True wisdom rest with God, and He knows best how to overthrow Assyria.