JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. (1 Samuel 16:14-23) From Saul’s perspective, why is David summoned to court? From God’s perspective, what seem to be the reasons for this service in Saul’s court? What things tend to prevent us from learning from God in the midst of the circumstances in which we find ourselves? What might make us more teachable?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is another place where my fundamental understanding of the text pushes against what is written before me. I am not so sure that God sent an evil spirit. I think it more likely that Saul saw his nightmares and troubling thoughts as something evil sent from God, rather than seeing his nightmares and troubling thoughts as direct manifestations of his fears concerning his fate. Thinking of God as vengeful would likely evoke the effects that Saul underwent, much like a child -- fearing its parents' wrath for disobedience -- starts imagining all the stuff that mom or dad might do as they hear "Wait til your father/mother gets home." For me, I don't think that God's power leaves me. It's jsut that I naturally feel less and less power-filled, the further away I allow my disobedience and arrogance to take me from my faith in God and my listening to and for God's Voice within me. To put it another way, I don't think that God abandons me to my arrogance and rebellion. God is still with me. It's my own fault when I choose to ignore that. God doesn't torment me with nightmares and troubling thoughts. The fact that I can't possibly justify my rebellion, regardless of how I try to explain and/or justify it, is enough to drive me mad with frustration. So, I think that Saul's perspective of David's presence in the court may have caused him some confusion in the beginning (although I have no proof of that). But eventually, I think that Saul was glad the boy was there for several reasons -- not the least of which is that when David sang and played, Saul got somewhat of a reprieve from the torment he caused himself, and he could rest easy that regardless of how far he'd gotten away from listening to and for God's Voice, God's Voice was still right there, speaking to him.

I have been discovering the funniest thing in my journey with God: I have absolutely no problem with praying when I'm in the midst of some painful and less-than-desirable circumstance following my foolish arrogance and rebellion. Not a problem at all. Listening for and to God . . . well, when I literally hear God saying, "Are you finished now? Are you ready to listen yet?" I laugh with God laughing at me, because I've gotten all wound up in thinking that if I just think hard enough and long enough, if I yell and scream and wail like a baby long enough, then eventually, I'll figure things out. Fortunately, God has amazing and wonderful patience with me. I never hear, "Shut up already!" (as someone as impatient as me can be likely to say from time to time). From the moment I say, "Okay, God. I give up. Please, you do it," I find that I'm all good, that God doesn't need me to tell Him what I want or what I need. My mom has a saying: "God's got it worked out while you're still trying to figure it out." She laughs at me, too, by the way.

I realize, too, that I don't find myself in not-so-desirable circumstances. I put myself there, with every less-than-listening-to-God choice that I make. Listening to and for God doesn't mean that I won't be affected by others' choices, by the way. It just means that regardless of who makes those choices, God is right there, in the midst of them, to help me to learn what I need to learn in the less-than-fun aftermaths and to celebrate in joy with me when I get to enjoy the fun and funny circumstances.

What makes me more teachable is asking myself, "Where do I see God, in the midst of all this?" In that moment, I learn more from God than I could ever learn, left to my own devices. One day, I hope to ask that more often so that God can use each moment as a teachable moment for me.

Q4. (1 Samuel 16:14-23) From Saul’s perspective, why is David summoned to court? From God’s perspective, what seem to be the reasons for this service in Saul’s court? What things tend to prevent us from learning from God in the midst of the circumstances in which we find ourselves? What might make us more teachable?

From Saul’s perspective, David summoned to court to relieve him of the stresses and anxiety that he experienced. When David played his harp Saul's evil spirits went away for a time. From God’s perspective, David was there to learn the nuts and bolts of the court for the time he would be in the kings chair. Things that tend to prevent us from learning from God in the midst of circumstances in which we find ourselves are distractions which feed the flesh and turn our eyes away from God. We might be more teachable the closer we come to God. The more we seek Him the closer we become and our spirit is open to learn of Him and obey His Will.

Q4. (1 Samuel 16:14-23) From Saul's perspective, why is David summoned to court? To soothe him when troubled by evil spirits.

From God's perspective, what seem to be the reasons for this service in Saul's court? Familiarity with his new territory.

What things tend to prevent us from learning from God in the midst of the circumstances in which we find ourselves? Since we don't understand, we reject.

What might make us more teachable? Trusting that God knows what He is doing.

Q4; 1. To provide him relief, from his demon inspired schizophrenia.

2. God was teaching David, by experience the diference between having the Holy Spirit, on and in your life vs. Saul's torment from an evil spirit. Fear hath torment and perfect love casts out fear. 1Jo. 18. This fine tuned David's heart toward God and His Anointed Word. The difference between fear and love is shocking!

3. The constant pull towards the enticement of working the thing out by ourselves. It is always the timeless opposite doctrinal poles; is it by works? Or is it by faith? Any tendency towards "works" impairs our learning. But as we rest, in "faith" we recieve from the Lord.

4.By resting in God! Heb. Ch 4.

From Saul's perspective, why is David summoned to court?

David was called to help the king, to sooth him, to make him feel God's presence again. To calm him down. From God's perspective, what seem to be the reasons for this service in Saul's court?God is a graceful God. When we are disobedient, rebellious, God send us hard times to call us back to Him. God gave Saul every chance to repent and come back to Him. It was his own choice to cling to his own will, to persists in his rebellion.

From David's perspective, God was working with him, training him, giving him all the time he neededto praise God with music. This was a great oppertunity for David to learn the work in a kingdom and to praise God.

What things tend to prevent us from learning from God in the midst of the circumstances in which we find ourselves?

We want to fix our own problems. We follow our own ideas instead of waiting for God's directions. We are stuggling so we have this attitude that "Just hold on God, let me just fix this and then i will get back to you" Instead of just handing over control over to God straight away.

What might make us more teachable?

From Saul's perspective, David was summoned to court to provide music that soothes and brings healing to him.

From God's perspective, God wanted David to go through training as apprentice in government affairs as he would soon be the one to replace Saul as the next king of Israel.

We may not learn from God in the midst of circumstances if we only want God to tell us why He allowed such things to happen to us. We should be more interested in finding out what God wants us to learn from the circumstances that befall us.

To become more teachable, we should accept the fact that God allows certain things to happen to us in order to teach us something and then ask Him to tell us whatever He wants us to learn.

Q4. (1 Samuel 16:14-23)

From Saul's perspecctive, David is summoned to court to play music to Saul so that he can be calmed from the fears that were coming upon him when the Holy Spirit was removed from him due to his disobedience to God.

From God's perspective, what seem to be the reasons for this service in Saul's court?

From God's perspective, the reasons for this service in Saul's court seem to expose him to the skills of governing, to learn him the art of leadership from that nation's leaders. It is also to give him time to write his songs as in the sheep fields he did not have the opportunity to write down the lyrics to his songs. In Saul's court, David has that ability.

What things tend to prevent us from learning from God in the midst of the circumstances in which we find ourselves?

The things that tend to prevent us from learning from God in the midst of the circumstances in which we find ourselves are arrogance, stubborness, impatience, rebellion.

That might make us teachable are obedience, listening carefully to the voice of God, accetting the Holy Spirit and the arrangement of God.

Saul wants David to play music.

God wants David to learn politics.

We often pay attention to other things that are not from God.

We better quit all bad things, don't watch bad programs on the telly, things like that.

Before going into the question of "God sending an evil Spirit to Saul" I'd like to focus on the first part which asks why would Saul summon David to begin with? After reading and re-reading 1 Samuel 16, I figure Saul needed someone to calm him with music. He needed someone whom he can trust and he could see the Spirit of the Lord all over David.

But what prompted his needing music from a Shepherd Boy?

The text says "Now the Spirit of the LORD had departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the LORD tormented him." (16:14). When we use the term Spirit, that could actually mean anything bad being sent. Saul was afflicted emotionally(the bad spirit) and needed the Lord all the more. I do believe God can do all things, but it seems we'd rather just understand the loving New Testament God instead of the one from the Old Testament as well who never changes and is in control. This could be a way to make Saul more teachable.

Sometimes great events and terrifying ones are sent to help us grow in the Lord. David was sent to Saul for his own growth. Saul had an evil spirit to deal with so he may be humbled and absorb good vibes from David.

Q4. (1 Samuel 16:14-23) From Saul’s perspective, why is David summoned to court?

God had removed His presence and anointing from Saul, and he was now vulnerable to the torment of an evil spirit who filled the vacancy of the Lord's Presence now gone from him. We are instructed to sing unto the Lord, to give thanks and praise and dance in worship to Him. David and his musical skill was summoned as a substitute "comfort" for the comforter now gone from Saul and who no longer had a song to sing or worship to offer the Lord.

From God’s perspective, what seem to be the reasons for this service in Saul’s court?

I believe the purpose was for David to learn "how NOT to be king" by learning from Saul's behavior. It was also to train David through trial and hardship...a "Kingly Boot Camp" for the time he would reign.

I can only speak for myself. In the early years, it was impatience, immaturity, wanting my own will (had to learn gradually that is not an option most of the time), self pity, fear that God had abandoned me (childhood wounds, unhealed), pride, and ignorance. In later years, the one that crops up, especially if I'm weary and the trial has been long, is discouragement. I get over that pretty quickly, from the years of learning that He is absolutely trustworthy and always knows what is best for me.

A pastor once told me to follow the F.A.T. principle: remain faithful, available and teachable. I think "a surrendered spirit, soul and body sums it up for me.

Saul is "battered" (spiritually speaking) as a result of the evil spirit from the Lord. Music seems to calm him for awhile, and David is ostensibly the provider of that music. However, David is teachable and relies on God everyday. Thus the Lord is able to teach him about governing from the place of kingship.

When I find myself surrounded by something new and sometimes intimidating, I often focus on the situation at hand instead of on what the Lord is doing through it. I need to be more like David, accepting with grace whatever God deems good for me. I need to look to God in every situation, or I am not being teachable.

David was summoned to court to relieve the stresses and anxiety that Saul experienced. God still loved Saul. God still cared for him, even though Saul was far away from Lord.

God created an opportunity for David to learn how he should function as a king for Israel- from Shepherd to King.

Things that tend to prevent us from learning from God are that we are not aligned with Holy Spirit. We get distracted very quickly due weak flesh. We should be always willing to teachable by shedding our pride and reading the word of God and meditating and praying. This will help us to surrender and obey to God.

EY Jackson,

I agree with your eloquent point that God does not torment us. The devil is great at persuading us and manipulating us to sin. Then the devil turns on us and tries to convince us that it is impossible for us to be Christian because of how terrible we have been. You will find this strategy of the devil in Job where he is called the accuser.

Q4. (1 Samuel 16:14-23) From Saul's perspective, why is David summoned to court?

We saw what can happen when one opens their heart to the spirit world, Saul’s heart was not after God's, he was not following the Holy Spirits lead and instead went his own way, it is called "MANS FREE WILL" - Samuel associated rebellion, Saul's bitterness, with that of witchcraft, of the spirit world; and we see the fear Samuel had of Saul, that he would murder him.

From Saul's perspective David was summoned to calm the distressing spirit that he believed came from God, (I believe came when he opened his heart to the spirit world, the same as witchcraft)

David was a handsome and skillful person, but most important of all, I believe Saul summoned David because he was told the "LORD was with David".

If I were in distress I too would want a person who feared God to be called.

From God's perspective, what seem to be the reasons for this service in Saul's court?

What I learn from God's perspective is the reason for David's service in Saul's court is that we understand - it is the Spirit of God that can calm the distressing spirits that trouble us.

God used the source of music to calm Saul, but I believe it was because David was empowered with the Holy Spirit and that the calming peace came through the Spirit of God.

This story shows me how important the heart is in pleasing God - the heart of Saul was rebellious, bitter, haughty and proud where David sings of his heart as we read in Psalms 131.

Psalms 131:1-3 A Song of degrees of David. LORD, my heart is not haughty, nor mine eyes lofty: neither do I exercise myself in great matters or in things too high for me. Surely I have behaved and QUIETED myself, as a child that is weaned of his mother: my soul is even as a weaned child. Let Israel hope in the LORD from henceforth and forever. :)

a) From Sau's perspective David is summoned to court so that when the evil spirit came upon him David would be able to play the harp with his hand, so that he (saul) is refreshed and well. He sees this move as a benefit to himself.

B) From God's perspective David is summoned to court according to God's succession plan. This is a process and learning opportunity to take over from saul. This is more of an induction program from God for David. God is just announcing David's ability to the people.

c) What prevents us from learning from God is canality. Lack of faith that God is able to save us and fight in our behalf. Failure to recognise God's move and hearing of God's voice.

d) Challenges usually come to shake us up. God used an evil spirit to shake saul and creat a need for Saul to require David. Used the war to announce David and show us that the battle is the Lord's and also that by strength (Goliath) can no man prevail. God can use anything, I cor 1:27-28. God uses foolish things of this world to confound the wise.

From Saul’s perspective, why is David summoned to court?

David is summoned to court to become the court musician to play music to help calm the spirit that was tormenting Saul.

From God’s perspective, what seem to be the reasons for this service in Saul’s court?

God was preparing David for reigning as King. David was learning the in's and out's how to govern.

Distractions of things of the world. Sometimes in the midst of our circumstances we forget about the Creator and put self in the way by trying to do things on our own.

Put our trust in God. Be obedient to His word and the Holy Spirit will be with us to help guide us.

1 Samuel 16:14-23

Q). From Saul’s perspective, why is David summoned to court?

A). King Saul's servants prescribe music to help calm him when these fearful spells come upon him. One servant recalls David's musical ability: ...Here's a fine musician described in heroic terms. Plus, "the Lord is with him." How could Saul resist that kind of recommendation!

Q). From God’s perspective, what seem to be the reasons for this service in Saul’s court?

A). As the story unfolds, it seems that God wants David in Saul's court to be exposed to the nuts and bolts of governing, to learn the art of leadership from that nation's leaders. It is a kind of apprenticeship for the future king of Israel. It also may have been a time for writing songs.

Q). What things tend to prevent us from learning from God in the midst of the circumstances in which we find ourselves?

A). Paul says that God judges rebellion by giving people fully over to their sin and its fruits (Romans 1:24-26). For the Holy Spirit's power to leave us because of our persistent sin and disobedience is a sobering matter indeed. Let us strive not to grieve the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 4:30).

Q). What might make us more teachable

A). I believe we can be more teachable if we become willing to trust God enough to pray and obey rather than succumb to our doubt, fear and selfish desires.

Saul had been sent an angel of judgement and he was in constant misery. I believe his mind was given over to darkness and he was given over to the things of darkness. Deviant thoughts, fear and paranoia. His physicians prescribed music for comfort and David was brought in to play instruments and sing for Saul as this soothed him.

From God's perspective, why was he there?

To learn the in's and out's of governing. I'm sure he learned many things to help him in his future reign as King, but more importantly what NOT to do that caused Saul's downfall.

What keeps us from learning from God in our circumstances?

I think pride is a major area that keeps us from learning. We are raised to be self sufficient in the world and we carry that into adulthood. Living a life of faith in God though, is living dependent on Him. We don't like being dependent and we love being self made.

I also see trust in God as an issue once we do decide to be dependent. We know we "ought" to be obedient and go with God, but we fear what He is doing or leading us into. Only as we grow in knowing His character and trustworthiness and faithfulness, do we learn from Him a better way to do things in our circumstances.

Being in prayer for humbleness and having a willingness to learn more about God. We need to be God chasers. Hot in pursuit of Him. He will not only reveal himself in our own lives, but remind us of His faithfulness for generations! When we see how faithful He has ALWAYS been from the beginning, we can begin to see that His truths are the way to go and we embrace them and live them and see the benefits of them.

Q4. (1 Samuel 16:14-23)

The Spirit of the LORD has departed from Saul and he most probably became afflicted with a form of mental disorder caused by an evil spirit. David had become a musician of note and was summoned to Saul’s court so that David’s music would lift the king out of his depression. From God’s perspective we see God arranging it, that through David’s musical abilities he was introduced to the palace of the king. It is here that David would gain first-hand practical experience in leading a nation. Adverse circumstances can be looked upon as a negative or positive one. If we react negatively, we demonstrate a lack of faith in God’s sovereign plan for our lives. It is then that we do not learn from these experiences. A positive reaction, however, has many benefits and there is a lot God will teach us. If only we remember that all trials benefit us as believers. God allows this to happen in our lives to develop different aspects of our character. As we grow spiritually we become more teachable, and each trial strengthens our faith and we become more and more dependent on our Heavenly Father.

David was a musician and therefore Saul found comfort when the evil spirit was tormenting him. He appointed Saul to sing and play music tp drive the evil spirit away.

God used this particular situation in Davids life for a higher purpose. God chose David to be the future king of Israel and hence placed him in the training camp of Saul's court so that David could learn the art of governing and everything that a King was supposed to know about ruling.God puts us in places we think we are there for somebody,but God uses these places of training camps for us to learn things to be put in future use according to our calling.

What prevents us from learning from God in our circumstances is unbelief,faith in other people and things,doubts etc. We tend to go everywhere and to everything rather than first running and seeking the presence of God.

What makes us more teachable is a humble and a childlike spirit. We must be open to teaching and correction. This can come only with a repentant heart and a heart of humility.

Recognising that God is above all and the Spirit of the Lord is the teacher,I humble myself everyday to learn and be taught rather than believing in my strength

Q4. (1 Samuel 16:14-23) From Saul’s perspective, why is David summoned to court?

David was summoned to Saul's court because his advisors thought that bringing David who played the harp (kinnor) and sang so well would relieve Saul of his anxieties, panic attacks, depression, or whatever it was that Saul was suffering from.

God wanted David to experience the life of the court and what governing His people might be like, and to have David write the Psalms we enjoy today.

When we look at circumstances as a hassle or a bother in our lives we will also think of the circumstance as the same instead of a learning opportunity or experience.

No matter what happens think of it as an opportunity to learn and grow.

1-From Saul's perspective, why is David summoned to court?

David is summoned to court because of the gift and skill of God in Him.

The bible said in V.18, “David knows how to play the harp; he is a brave man and warrior. He speaks well and is a fine-looking man, and the Lord is with him”

2-From God's perspective, what seem to be the reasons for this service in Saul's court?

In God’s perspective, David is being prepared to be in the national stage before He begins to lead. The effectiveness of his service is a persuasive tool that God is with him.

3-What things tend to prevent us from learning from God in the midst of the circumstances in which we find ourselves?

We have tendency to put our program or plan above God’s. That leads us to execute our own agenda. Many times those things we’re concern about don’t have anything to do with the one we’re called for.

4-What might make us more teachable?

Our experience in life proof that we’ll no long be satisfied unless we fellow and obey God’s commend.

David was summoned by Saul to the court to become the court's musician to ease Saul's evil Spirit when it came on him.

From God's perspective, David was learning the arts and works of becoming a King.

Things that pervent us fro learning from God in the midst of our circumstances in which we find ourselves are: We want to solve the circumstances ourselves rather than waiting on God to lead us through, he knows the end results.