JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Leadership

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (1 Samuel 22:2) Why were David’s men attracted to him? What did they have in common? Why kind of men were these? What difficulties do you think David probably had in leading them?

David's men were attracted to him because of his leadership ability, they felt protected under David's command. These men were all either related to David or men who were enemies of King Saul. These were military men. I think David's difficulty in leading these men would be to control them. Their background is diverse and if not controlled they could turn on each other.

• 3 weeks later...

Q1. (1 Samuel 22:2) Why were David’s men attracted to him? What did they have in common? Why kind of men were these? What difficulties do you think David probably had in leading them?

David's men were attrracted to him because they have heard of him and his triumphs. He was certainly a man of God. People with problems such as owing debt and those with prices on their heads needed a leader. Many of these people were his own family! Some difficulties David may have had with them would include stealing, depression, and maybe some unresolved hurts.

Wow! Thank you, Dr. Wilson, for your insightful musing that - in the retelling of David's deceit while fleeing from Saul - Jesus may have been telling the Pharisees that, "[t]he Bible itself gives examples of flexibility in interpreting the rules." Sometimes, I struggle with stricture in adhereing to all parts of Torah. I had never considered that in my own musings of Scripture. Knowing that God allows a little wiggle room - makes me laugh and helps me relax a little.

Q1. (1 Samuel 22:2) Why were David's men attracted to him? What did they have in common? Why kind of men were these? What difficulties do you think David probably had in leading them?

Jesus is so like David, isn't he? I think that David's men were attracted to him because David did what seemed impossible: Killed a giant, helped alleviate Saul's night terrors, led his men to victory even more than Saul had asked for, and escaped Saul's wrath. All in a day's work! They were attracted, at first, probably because of his pluckiness and his refusal to fight with what would be cumbersome to him. I would guess that he gained some measure of real respect from the lesser and less physically strong men in the trenches. Surely, God was with him. When David defeated Goliath, even more respect gained David. With each successive victory, more soldiers flocked, and probably fought tooth and nail, for a place in David's army. You can't buy respect like that.

Their faith in God, their respect for David, and surely knowing that God had Chosen David and was with him in the battles, were a few of the things held in common by the soldiers. David represented to them, even if the words weren't with them yet, "If God be with us, who can stand against us?"

Not to say that things were easy-peasy for David in leading his "motley crew." He had family, he had friends, he probably had people - whom he'd never met, but who had only heard about him -- in his band of merry men. There may have been a Judas Iscariot (whose role in Christ's life simply fascinates me) or two. Jealousy, in-fighting, trying to keep down the inevitable "who's gonna sit at your right hand" arguments. And what if there were thieves among them? Who decided who got how far up in David's army? Who did David trust -- if anybody -- to impart wisdom, mediate disputes, and settle skirmishes? I'm sure David had his hands full, discovering a day or two, in the life of a father and a king.

(1 Samuel 22:2) Why were David's men attracted to him?

They were attracted to David because as well were begins pursued by Saul as well. , and probably a few bandits who are wanted for various crimes. Many have a price on their head.

What did they have in common?

Some of the men were being unfairly harassed, perhaps unjustly persecuted as was David; some of the men either had something against Saul or Saul had something against them. Unlike David some of these men committed a crime.

They all were considered a threat to Saul's reign, they all were fugitives due to one reason or another.

Verse 2" And every one that was in distress, and every one that was in debt, and every one that was discontented, gathered themselves unto him; and he became a captain over them: and there were with him about four hundred men."

Why kind of men were these?

These men every one that was in distress - debt or discontented

What difficulties do you think David probably had in leading them?

Not sure at this point, later in Scripture some wanted to kill Saul whereas David did not. At this point he perhaps was concerned about their welfare, the provisions etc.., in verse 3 he makes accommodations for his probable elderly parents. 4 - 6 hundred men, some of these men had wives and children. The difficulty may have simply been affirming assurance, assurance of what next.

Q4:1 Because of his success as a leader, his victories in battles and is a man of God.

2 They were considered a threat to Saul, enemies to himm and fugitiveslike himself running from Saul.

3 These men were in distress, in debt and or discontented with aprice on their heads

4 Concerned fortheirwelfare and probably concerned that the people wanted to kill Saul for having them in exile.

Also remind them regardless of how they felt he could not kill a king that God had anointed.

Why were David’s men attracted to him? THEY HAD A COMMON ENEMY.

What did they have in common? SAUL WAS IN PURSUIT OF THEM.

Why kind of men were these? MEN WHO WERE IN DEBT AND DISAGREEMENT WITH SAUL.

What difficulties do you think David probably had in leading them? REBELS REBEL.

ipb.global.registerReputation( 'rep_post_77174', { domLikeStripId: 'like_post_77174', app: 'forums', type: 'pid', typeid: '77174' }, parseInt('0') );

Q1. (1 Samuel 22:2) Why were David’s men attracted to him?

He was a good leader, he had God's lead and blessings, thus he was successful

I think they felt safe with him, and admirired his ability.

They were hunted by Saul, for some reason they lost favour with Saul.

I would guess all kinds of men, a gret veriaty. This was good practice for David to lead the country, 400 different personalities to lead

Feeding them all must have been a chalenge. Hiding such a big group of people from the goverment was also impresive. Keeping all in harmony and happy showed real leadership.

Preventing them to turn to crime for income must have taken wisdom from God to handle.

They were a wild, disconnected group of men looking for a leader and a common cause, while David was a rugged, warrior and a true leader but with the heart of a shepherd. v 2 : everyone in distress or in debt or discontented comprised this "army" of men. (v1:his brothers and all his father's house went to him also.) They were an army "waiting to happen", and having heard of his exploits and the women chanting: "Saul has slain his 1,000, and David his 10,000", they flocked to David to become their commander.

They were all disenfranchised (today's term), on the run, in trouble, in debt, needing help, away from family and security of homes and family....all needing protection.

What kind of men were these?

Rugged, probably with an itch to fight and settle scores, unruly, lawbreakers, wild...the rabble of society.

I would imagine there were many who thought of themselves as leaders, but lacked the skill to lead, who had difficulty submitting to his authority. Just the magnitude of taking responsibility for 400 of societies outcasts is unimaginable! Finding food and other necessities would cause most to be dismayed! In every group there are always factions, disharmony, grumbling, murmuring, passive aggressive anger,....they were already discontented to begin with, and I'm almost certain David's band would be no different. There are always those with the victim mentality, who are so easily offended. There may have been some who watched to see if his family received favoritism. (Think of the groups that come together in churches!) He undoubtedly used his shepherding experience.....that of kindness and building loyalty and trust so they would want to follow him, rather than being "whipped" in order to do so.

Q1. (1 Samuel 22:2) Why were David's men attracted to him? What did they have in common? Why kind of men were these? What difficulties do you think David probably had in leading them?

David's men were of different categories namely, members of his family like his nephews and men who had a price on heir heads and were wanted by the law.

The second group (apart from his relatives) were all people who were on the other side of the law.

David's major difficulty was probably that of making these wanted men to be subjected to an authority- David's authority.

David's men were of different categories namely, members of his family like his nephews and men who had a price on heir heads and were wanted by the law.

The second group (apart from his relatives) were all people who were on the other side of the law.

David's major difficulty was probably that of making these wanted men to be subjected to an authority- David's authority.

Q1. (1 Samuel 22:2) Why were David's men attracted to him?

Number one, I believe they understood very well that God was with David as they saw and heard of his mighty wisdom and military power, and over and over he escaped from the hand of the evil king of Israel and the military might of Saul, looking for his leadership, wasn't he a commander of 1,000 men.

They were all suffering from the cruel and unjust restraints placed on them; they were burdened down with the harsh authority and rule of King Saul.

They were an oppressed people.

Why were David’s men attracted to him?

1. They knew David was a great warrior and leader.

2. They all were be pursued by Saul and/or wanted to overthrow him.

3. They were men that owed money, rebels and bandits.

4. They all were wanted for various crimes and had a price on their heads. David may have difficulties keeping them united and under his authority.

The men were attracted to David, because they knew he was anointed of God and would soon be the King of God's people. If they stayed with him they knew David would take care of them and their families. These were all mighty warriors and believed in fighting for a cause and David has one of the best.

Having mighty warriors in a vast number you will have many that will have their own ideas how to do things, I'm sure David had to get stern with many of them, even at one point they were wanting to kill David. These are the type people that warriors are.

brother MikeGod Bless-I think I hear wedding music, the bride of Christ (the church) is about to be called home, and the wedding garment cannot have one spot are wrinkle on it.

Any rebel leader will attract the disenfranchised. In David's case God was also motivating the right people to join David's cause. Joab in particular became the general of David's army and a valuable military leader, David's right hand man.

I reckon they were all sick of the now lunatic King Saul's rule and realized that David would be a much better king.

All kinds of people rallied to David. Soldiers who'd fought under him, people who had lost property to Saul's soldiers when it was siezed, probably a few unsavory types as well like bandits and outlaws, and David's own family.

He had to feed them. He had to keep them from being detected by those loyal to Saul. He had to keep them from in-fighting. He had to keep them motivated. He had to also make sure that his agenda became thier agenda.

Q1. (1 Samuel 22:2)

Why were David's men attracted to him?

A reason why these men were attracted to David could be that they knew David was God’s anointed king and therefore saw no future with Saul. They had in common the fact that they were being pursued by Saul and therefore joined with David for their own survival. Some must have been family members escaping from being killed by Saul solely for being related to David. The rest could have been social outcasts, opportunists, outlaws, rebels, deserters, and traitors. It must have been most difficult for David to control and lead such a diverse group of men. The fact that he did proves his great leadership abilities. I think the major difficulty must have been to discipline them and getting them all to obey him and to have them function as an efficient unit.

(1 Samuel 22:2) Why were David’s men attracted to him?

The anointing draws men to you

Some were in trouble, others were angry or in debt. They were all Saul's ``enemy``s

Soldiers

Others were angry full of revenge and David was not in the spirit of revenge so guiding some men with so much anger it was his difficulties

Q1. (1 Samuel 22:2)

David's men were attracted to him because they wanted protection as they knew the how powerful David was.

What they had in common is that, they were all being pursued by Saul.

These were people who owed Saul money and were being hounded for repayment, some were rebels who wanted to overthrow Saul, and a few were bandits who were wanted for various crimes.

The difficulties thatDavid had in leading these men include the different backgound of these people. Some were relatives others not. Secondly is the different reasons for siding with David. Probably others just wanted to be protected but not necessary that they respected David. And thirdly, is the different characters of these people. Some were bandits and some rebels and some were just humble people who failed to pay their loans.

Q1. (1 Samuel 22:2) Why were David’s men attracted to him? What did they have in common? What kind of men were these? What difficulties do you think David probably had in leading them?

I believe David's men were attracted to him for different reasons. His family members were of course family and would have the belief that he was to be King someday. There probably was family loyalty involved with them and they had turned from Saul who treated David horribly. The "outcast" or "fugitives" were probably drawn to his reputation as a great warrior. One who had even "outdone" Saul. They were at odds with Saul, so they chose to side with David, probably hoping to ride on the coat-tails of a new regime that they hoped would come.

What they had in common was Saul. He was their common enemy. They were all fugitives because of him.

I imagine these men were rough men. Some probably had criminal backgrounds, some were rebellious of Saul's authority. Some I'm sure were very capable men overlooked by Saul. Most probably had a vendetta against Saul. David's family was with him too, so many were loyal and loved David.

I think David probably struggled with uniting the group for God's cause. When so many personalities come together, but are uniting with their OWN motives or vendettas in mind, it is hard to win each one over to have a Godly motive. Some were their because they loved David. Some were there for his protection. Some were rebellious characters or hardened men with their own objectives. It would have been imperative for David to unite them for God's cause and win their respect and to establish his God given authority.

1 Samuel 22:2

Q). Why were David's men attracted to him?

A). David begins to attract others whom Saul is pursuing.

#

Q). What did they have in common?

A). All those who were in distress or in debt or discontented gathered around him, and he became their leader.

#

Q). Why kind of men were these?

those who owe money being hounded for repayment, rebels who want to overthrow Saul, and probably a few bandits who are wanted for various crimes. Many have a price on their head....

#

Q. What difficulties do you think David probably had in leading them?

A). Some of the difficulties David probably had were solving individual problems, establishing and maintaining unity along with feeding them and their families!

Why were David's men attracted to him? David led them in victory in battle and they saw him defeated Goliath so they respected him and they saw that Holy Spirit had left Saul and was now with David. What did they have in common? What kind of men were these? According to Saul, rebels, outlaws. Saul had many men who left his army and went with David because they didn’t like him and/or he had a price on their head to have them killed. Most of them like and respected David. What difficulties do you think David probably had in leading them? The difficulties David might have had in his leadership is maintaining loyalty to his men and Saul because he still was king and he did not want to kill him. Also, maintaining all the men's women and children, such as, housing, food, and clothing without getting caught and killed by Saul.

I am sure that many of them had heard of David's ability to lead Saul's army into battle and the victories that came. Then they saw that David was a good leader that was able to elude Saul's men.

King Saul was after all of them for some reason. None of them were safe at their homes.

David's army consisted of outlaws, rebels, tax evaders, the discontent, and his physical family. They all have a good reason to join with David.

They had one purpose: keep alive, away from King Saul. But David had to bring their thinking about direction to the one purpose. Most of the men were self directed and David had to change that so they would follow him. And being their leader meant he had to provide all their needs and the needs of their families.

Q1. (1 Samuel 22:2) Why were David’s men attracted to him? Because they were wanted men as well and knew David's notoriety. Some were of course related to him and they feared for their lives too.

What did they have in common? They were all seeking somebody they could be in league with because of their fear of Saul's rule.

What kind of men were these? Gypsies, tramps, and theives many of whom were highly experienced in battle.

What difficulties do you think David probably had in leading them? I think they had a lot of respect for David because of his earlier successes.

David's men were attracted towards him because they believed in Davids leadership ,his past victories and his faith in God. They wanted a leader to lead them and also free them from Saul who was pursuing them.

They were all in trouble,in debt,discontented and were pursued by Saul.

These were all men who were pusued by Saul,rebelled against him.

David would definetley have some trouble leading them because they were all of different backgrounds.He also had to maintain them and their families. Not a easy task to lead a group of 400 all of different kind

People were attracted to David because he was a natural born leader and was successful in all his undertakings. They believed he was someone who could help them with whatever trouble they had. These men were common people like David and his family. David probably experienced many of the same problems as any leader (disharmony; and, in general, discontent among his troops) with the speed and ways he did business.