JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Wilderness Psalms

Q4. (Psalms 18, 34, 54, 56, 58, 59, 142) In these ascriptions to these psalms, how many celebrate happy occasions? How many arise from struggles? What does this tell you about David’s relationship with God? What does this tell you about his faith during trials? Which is your favorite among these psalms? Why?

• 1 month later...

Q4. (Psalms 18, 34, 54, 56, 58, 59, 142) In these ascriptions to these psalms, how many celebrate happy occasions? How many arise from struggles? What does this tell you about David’s relationship with God? What does this tell you about his faith during trials? Which is your favorite among these psalms? Why?

In these Psalms, one celebrated a happy occasion. The rest are psalms that arise from struggles. These were physical or mental struggles, David was not at peace. From these Psalm one can surmise that David's faith during his trials was very strong. Among these my favorite is psalm 63, this is a reminder to us - in the midst of any situation just eremember God is not far away, He's there with you; as He promise never to leave you. Praise the Lord!.

• 3 weeks later...

All of these passages reflect celebration, in that, regardless of the situation, David still finds reasons to rejoice. Whether it's knowing what God can do or seeing what God has done, David's praise and faith were worth celebrating just because he could pray, praise, and be faithful. There is an element of inherent joy in feeling so close to God's Heart.

All of these passages arise from struggle. In the midst of struggle, David sings God's praises. In the aftermath of struggle, David sings God's praises. Before the struggle even begins, David sings God's praises. Seems to me that singing God's praises, while singing to God of his (David's) faith in and gratitude for God, was what kept David sane. Even while pretending to be insane. David's relationship with God inspires me to want to be even closer with God in my daily comings and goings and beings. God and David's relationship was warm, comforting, and fluidly-bound -- God was truly David's best friend and closest compainion. Even when David didn't think God could or would hear his cries, he never stopped singing to and praising God. David's faith in God helped him to move mountains.

I don't have a single favorite; all are my favorite. If I could write a song, it would go like this:

I love you, O Lord, my strength.

The Lord is my rock, my fortress, and my deliverer,

my God, my rock in whom I take refuge,

my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

I call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised;

Save me, O God, by your name,

and vindicate me by your might.

Hear my prayer, O God;

give ear to the words of my mouth.

Be gracious to me, O God, for people trample on me;

all day long foes oppress me;

my enemies trample on me all day long,

for many fight against me.

All day long they seek to injure my cause;

all their thoughts are against me for evil.

They stir up strife, they lurk,

they watch my steps.

As they hoped to have my life,

so repay them for their crime;

in wrath cast down the peoples, O God!

O God, break the teeth in their mouths;

tear out the fangs of the young lions, O Lord!

Let them vanish like water that runs away;

like grass let them be trodden down and wither.

Let them be like the snail that dissolves into slime;

like the untimely birth that never sees the sun.

Sooner than your pots can feel the heat of thorns,

whether green or ablaze, may he sweep them away!

For who is God except the Lord?

And who is a rock besides our God?—

the God who girded me with strength,

and made my way safe.

He made my feet like the feet of a deer,

and set me secure on the heights.

He trains my hands for war,

so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

You have given me the shield of your salvation,

and your right hand has supported me;

your help has made me great.

My vows to you I must perform, O God;

I will render thank-offerings to you.

For you have delivered my soul from death,

and my feet from falling,

so that I may walk before God

in the light of life.

With a freewill-offering I will sacrifice to you;

I will give thanks to your name, O Lord, for it is good.

O magnify the Lord with me,

and let us exalt his name together. Amen

In these ascriptions to these psalms, how many celebrate happy occasions? NONE, THOUGH VICTORIOUS, WHO COULD BE HAPPY RUNNING FROM DANGER?

How many arise from struggles? ALL OF THEM

What does this tell you about David's relationship with God? WHILE HE WAS A MAN AFTER GOD'S OWN HEART; GOD STILL PUT HIM THROUGH THE TEST.

What does this tell you about his faith during trials? THOUGH WE ARE TESTED, IF WE KEEP OUR EYES ON GOD, HE WILL BE WITH US.

Which is your favorite among these psalms? 63.

Why? THROUGH IT ALL, DAVID NEVER STOPPED PURSUING OR PRAISING GOD.

In these ascriptions to these psalms, how many celebrate happy occasions?

All are happy occasions, although all are tough occasions as well. Job tells us that the good and the bad comes from God. God uses tough times to sactify us. How can it be a sad occation when God is busy with us, when God is taking an interest in us, when God is showing us that He is protecting us.

How many arise from struggles? All, David had quite a hard life. God was really working with him, and later, when he became king, he sinned seriously, so God had to correct and sanctify him again. So often we do the same. God prepares us for what He needs us to do, and once we taste success through Him, we are so happy at what we achieved, that we loose focus on God Who gave us the ability and help to get there, so we stop seaking His will, and then we bring hard times on ourselves so that God can pull us back into His will.

What does this tell you about David's relationship with God?

At this time he was fully focussed on God, and he experienced God all the time. There is nothing that builds your faith as experiencing God. There is nothing that builds your relationship with God as faith. Faith is build on a physical level through experience, and on an intelectual level through studying the Bible and scriptures. With David in hideout and having a priest with him, ha had plenty time and oppertunity to enhance his faith on both levels, and thus build his relationship to a maximum that was possible.

Later we will see nothing breaks your relationship as sin does, disobedience in any way.

What does this tell you about his faith during trials? His faith became stronger because he experienced God

Which is your favorite among these psalms?

Why?

Pick any one, they show us that David knew God in his life, just as we have to. 63 is a little bit extra special, showing how he knew God at all levels in his life, even when most people would have complained.

Q4:4

1. In all these Psalms celebrate happy occasions to David. He know that God always kept him safe from harm and God and

Answered all his cries in need.

2. All these Psalms arisefrom David's struggles.

3. David has God in his his heart. Because of his strong faith this what created his strong relationship between him and

God.

4. During his trails he upheld his faith in his heart for God. He never let go of his faith no matter how hard the situation and

struggles was for him God was forever in his heart through his faith

5. Psalm 142 is my favorite.

Because I can complain to God for He listens and response to my cries. HE will always help us in our times of need.

Out the 7 Psalms listed, I think only two Psalms, Psalm 18 and 34 celebrate happy occasions. Five others were prayers of deliverance from the enemy or complaints about the schemes of the wicked.

This shows that David relationship with God was close. He would run to God when in need or in trouble and also knew when to burst into praise and worship of God for deliverance.

I personally love the Psalms and would listen or read them from the beginning towards the end enjoying the the different swings of the Psalmist's moods that result in praise and cry for deliverance.

David praised the Lord no matter what he was going through. At least four of the seven psalms were ones of thanksgiving and praise while the others were more prayers for vengeance on the wicked. This shows that David had faith in the Lord amidst his whirlwind of troubles. He had a true relationship with God.

My favorite psalm is Psalm 59 and I like this because I have seen the favor of the Lord before and how those oppposing me would be so cruel, but God fought those battles for me.

Q4. (Psalms 18, 34, 54, 56, 58, 59, 142)

In these ascriptions to these psalms only one psalm, Psalm 18, celebrate happy occassion.

How many arise from struggles?

11 arise from struggles.

This tells me that, the Lord was always with David and that is why David managed to overcome various difficulties.

What does this tell you about his faith during trials?

Even during trials his faith was firm.

Which is your favorite among these psalms? Why?

My Favourite is Psalm 18 because it reminds us to give thanks to the Lord after He has answered our prayers.

I believe that two of these psalms give a positive voice to David: Psalm 18 & 60.

I believe that there are 6 of these psalms that have to do with David struggling.

David was more ready to write about his struggles and his petitions to God rather than the times he could rejoice in his writings.

David was totally dependent upon God and His working with him. David wanted to know what God want him to do and was almost always in prayer to God.

Psalm 51 is the one that I can relate to the most.

Why?

Because it shows the humbleness of David and his being open to God. This is the way I need to be in my repentance and renewing.

Psalm 18 is the one which is a celebration psalm

All the others arise from struggles.

David always looks up to His God. His faith is so firm that He only cries aloud to God . He knows only His God and none can deliver Him.

His faith is firm and he always trusts His God.

Psalm 34 is my favorite psalm

It gives me lot of strength as I say it and every word of it relates to my circumstances of life

(Psalms 18, 34, 54, 56, 58, 59, 142) In these ascriptions to these psalms, how many celebrate happy occasions?

Psalms 34, I love it's progression and also how it may have been birthed. Most of the psalms you have listed here do not celebrate happy occasions. Nonetheless they for me express that the writer knew whom was his Help, whom to turn to.

Most were from a place of struggle. From what we can gather from Scripture carnage is not associated with David. Instead of David withholding his feeling (imploding / exploding) and then unleashing the fury felt, he laid them down, he casted his burdens to whom was able to carry them, to whom was to vindicate rightly if vindication was required.

That he in fact had one, that he honored God; that he believed God was whom God said He was, and that David believed as such.

Not only was his faith similar to Job, but that he also heavily relied on God. Though he faced trial, test and temptation one after another he sought the Lord. Although on occasion he slipped he sought the Lord. He believed that God was not only Redeemer, Sanctifier and Vindicator, but also that he was worthy of all glory, all honor, al praise. Praise that go beyond a dance or a song, praise that is lived according to His Counsel.

Of these mentioned 34, I don't know if I have a favorite, perhaps 23

Why? Perhaps because it has been one that I was introduced to early in life, perhaps because of what it says. Again I'm not sure if I could say that is my favorite, I like so many, 41, 42, 27, 63, 73, 91, etc I'm not sure for me if there is a favorite!

I as well like the psalms that emphasize upon God's majesty such as Marveling at God's Majesty in Creation Psalms 8, 19, 139 and others.

Q4. (Psalms 18, 34, 54, 56, 58, 59, 142)

Which is your favourite among these psalms?

Why?

These are all songs of praise. Of these 7 psalms, all arise from some kind of struggle except for psalm 18 – which is also my favourite as it shows David’s unshaken trust in God. Here we read how David praises our Heavenly Father with one metaphor after metaphor to describe all that the Lord was and had been to him. And this also expresses my gratitude for all the loving care I have experienced in my life – He is my strength. David expresses his love for the Lord who had shown mercy to him throughout his many struggles. He goes on to describes the Lord as his strength, his rock, his fortress, his deliverer, his shield, his stronghold, and the horn of his salvation. God was the only one he could solely depend on, and trust entirely. Although he was being hotly pursued by ungodly men who sought his life he knew the Lord’s ability to completely rescue him. I particularly like a verse 11 in psalm 56, “In God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me? What a mighty Saviour we serve!

Psalms 18, 34, 54, 56, 58, 59, 142

Q). In these ascriptions to these psalms, how many celebrate happy occasions?

A). Only Psalm 18 celebrates a happy occasion. in Psalm 18 He sang to the LORD the words of this song when the LORD delivered him from the hand of all his enemies and from the hand of Saul.

#

Q). How many arise from struggles?

A). Six of the listed psalms arise from his struggles (34, 54, 56, 58, 59, 142)

#

Q). What does this tell you about David's relationship with God?

A). David demonstrated faith and a reverential fear of God. He also had a strong desire to obey God's commandments.

#

Q). What does this tell you about his faith during trials?

A). David's faith during trials was steadfast and immovable.

#

Q). Which is your favorite among these psalms? Why?

A). My favorite is psalm 18 because it's a tribute to God's victory in a human life.

Most of the Psalms listed do not subscribe to happy times. Most were written in desperate situations where David cried out to the Lord for help!

This tells me, that David's relationship with God was very intimate and trusting. David knew he was in desperate need of God's protection, guidance, love and comfort. He cried out to the one he was SURE could help him.

This tells me his faith was very strong. He "felt" desperate in his situation, but he had "faith" that God could set things right. He knew that God could protect him and help him. Usually he cried out to God in alarm, but then you can see his faith rising up in most of the Psalms. He starts to praise God in his storm. An ever present help in time of trouble. From there he sometimes gets very vocal about what he "thought" God should do to his enemies, but then gives way to submitting to who GOD is an HIS righteousness in the situation. David was humble before God and that demonstrates much trust.

One of my favorite Psalms (among many!) is Psalm 63. I love it because it shows David's heart for seeking God. It shows his complete dependence on God and his longing for his presence. I love the verse, "Because your love is better than life, I will praise you." He sought God with all his heart. "I remember you while I'm lying in bed; I think about you all through the night." He rejoices in God and the relationship they have. "You are my help, because of your protection I sing. I stay close to you; you support me with your right hand." He laments about his enemies, but the lament quickly turns to joy! "But the King will rejoice in his God! All who make promises in his name will praise him, but the mouths of liars will be shut!"

When I'm going through hard times and I'm on my bed unable to sleep....I remember this Psalm and draw strength from it. I can bring those troubles to God, knowing He is my help. I can praise God remembering all His past faithfulness and experience joy in turning my complaints to praise! I too can be comforted and lifted up and say, "But I will rejoice in my God and I know I'll be praising His name because He will set things right for me!" It's just such a strengthening Psalm!

Q4. (Psalms 18, 34, 54, 56, 58, 59, 142) In these ascriptions to these psalms, how many celebrate happy occasions?

There are no "HAPPY OCCASIONS" listed here except for the times David's heart gives "PRAISE" to the God of Israel, praise for His great "MERCY" and "DELIVERANCE".

I give praise to the God of Israel for sending to me my Refuge, God's Son, a "HAPPY OCCASION" for me, for sure!

They all arise from struggles, but David's "PRAISE" did not arise only out of his struggles.

"PRAISE" was on his lips at all times, David was like a green olive tree in the house of God: his trust was in the mercy of God forever and ever.

David feared the God of Israel and in that relationship David knew first hand that the angel of the LORD encamps about them that “FEAR GOD” and He will deliver them.

David did taste and he saw that the LORD is good, in that relationship David learned, “blessed is the man who puts their trust in God”.

I believe David spoke of his relationship with the LORD as we read in (Psalm 34:9) O fear the LORD, ye his saints: for there is no want to them that fear him.

Psalm 59:13 Consume them in wrath, consume them that they may not be: and let them know that God rules in Jacob unto the ends of the earth. Selah.

Why?

Judgment is coming to the nations that do not fear Him, so that the world will know that the God of Israel’s rule is in Jacob, in Israel unto the ends of the earth, and one day soon the promised Messiah of Israel will come in all of his glory for the world to see.

I believe that promise is coming very soon. :mellow:

Q4. (Psalms 18, 34, 54, 56, 58, 59, 142) In these ascriptions to these psalms, how many celebrate happy occasions? How many arise from struggles?

Just about all but one are "struggle psalms". David wrote mainly out of adversity.

What does this tell you about David’s relationship with God? What does this tell you about his faith during trials?

David depended on God for deliverance and safety. As the annointed king-to-be of Israel he came to depend on God for his daily survival. I notice also that David praised God, even in the toughest of times. David's faith was the greatest when the times were the hardest.

Psalm 142 is my current favorite out of those listed in this discussion. It most accurately protrays my own life struggles against hostile people who are in opposition to me in my life and career. I draw great encouragement from David's struggle psalms.

There is praise to God in all, but there doesn't seem to be any really happy occasions. David is in need of God throughout all these passages, which tells me God was David's ALL; David knew all of his needs and desires are met through God. David adored God. David's faith was steady during trials. My favorite is Psalm 34 because it speaks to me and uplifts my spirit when I read it.

In these ascriptions to these psalms, how many celebrate happy occasions? I only really saw one, (Ps. 18), however, in all of them David never forgets to give God the praise even in the midst of his struggles. How many arise from struggles? All arises from some type of situation that he was struggling with. What does this tell you about David's relationship with God? David loved God, and in his time of need David lean and depend on God as his confidant, and he continues to praise and give Him the glory and honor in all his circumstances. What does this tell you about his faith during trials? David had strong faith in God while he was going through his struggles, he constantly prayed and consulted with God and he continued to trust and believed in God. Which is your favorite among these psalms? Why? I Choose Psalms 142, the prayer for God to be my refuge in my time of need. Why? At one time I was going through a situation at my workplace where I felt that they tried to snare my integrity and character BUT GOD took what they meant for my evil and turn it into something good. THANK YOU JESUS!

(Psalms 18, 34, 54, 56, 58, 59, 142) In these ascriptions to these psalms, how many celebrate happy occasions?

None, it was about pouring his heart to the Lord

All of them

What does this tell you about David’s relationship with God?

Father and son relationship. This is how the Lord Jesus relate with the Father.

David has a very strong faith. he never depend on his own strength.

All of them. David new to whom must pour his heart, to whom he must run to. God was everything to Him (my prayer is to learn from his example to have a heart after God to be humble

Our of Psalms 18, 34, 54, 56, 58, 59, 142, only Ps. 18 & 34 are somehow celebratory where David celebrates God for his victory over his enemies. The rest of them stem out of situations of struggles and opposition.

David has a deep seated connection with the heart of God where he relied on His presence and vindication coming out of his heart allegiance to God. Also, David had such tremendous faith in God's justice that he would not even dare take justice in his own hands. Somehow David knew that having a right connection with God would assure his final deliverance from oppression (Ps. 34:18). His heart remained focused on honoring God no matter what circumstances he went through.

My favorite Psalm in that list is Ps. 34 because of the tremendous tone of victory emanating from it! It is also loaded with promises and encapsulates a life of victory in God while making it clear that life is not trouble free.

Q4. (Psalms 18, 34, 54, 56, 58, 59, 142) In these ascriptions to these psalms, how many celebrate happy occasions?

None

All of them.

What does this tell you about David’s relationship with God?

I love David's relationship with God! I've endeavored to do the same in mine, in that he was transparent, honest, trusting, and full of love for His Father!

I believe scripture shows us the pattern He desires...that of an only child of the Perfect Heavenly Parent/Father, able to come with skinned "knees", heart break, trouble, fear, needing deliverance, able to express anger and outrage, and dancing and singing jubilant praise when He blesses us, and yet continuing to praise Him in the midst of whatever befalls us, always knowing we are His beloved child.

David clung to the Lord, no matter what was going on. His faith never waivered. I can't think of a time when David was in unbelief. He never blames God for trouble, but runs to Him when there.

Which is your favorite among these Psalms? Why?

Each Psalm has been my favorite at one time or another. Psalm 18 has encouraged me a number of times in the middle of the night when I was feeling desperate for the Lord's help...and love the majestic and powerful way David described the Lord delivering him and bringing him "forth into a large place, because He delighted in David. (I've discovered the "large Place" is God Himself as a result of waiting, humiliation, trials, loneliness, betrayals......) In Psalm 34 It comforts me to be reminded The Angel of the Lord encamps around me, and His eyes are always toward me, His ears to my cry! Psalm 54 comforted me greatly when I was slandered by lies when 2 believers allowed Satan to use them, "The Lord delivered me out of every trouble when evil rose up against me", He vindicated me and disciplined His wayward son and daughter.

All that said, I LOVE His Word...it is my food every day and night. The longer I've walked with my Lord, the more precious has His Word become. How I praise and glorify Him! I long to see Him face to face!

None. They all came forth out of his struggles.

David did not expect to lie on a bed of roses because of his relationship with the Lord. He trusted in the Lord like one would trust in a good friend.

This is a difficult one. I like 34 because of the way it beautifully reads and ascribes praise and glory to God. It is a real beauty. I also like plalm 142.

This shows what to do when you are brought 'very low". It shows who will care for you, none but our Lord. What a wonderful God He is. This one is probably my favorite of these psalms. It tells it like it is in this world and how helpless we are without the only one who can be a true Friend who is with us all the time. Thank you dear Friend, our Lord Jesus Christ.

God Bless

Jen

Romans 15:13

Most of these psalms are not celebrating a happy time.

All of them have arisen from struggles.

He could always praise God and trust Him in his troubles.

He did not lose faith during these times, but he did suffer.

Today I like 18 the best. He shows His trust in his mighty God. I like the large view of God!

Of the ones listed Psalms 18 would have been the only one that celebrated a happy occasion. All the rest seem to arise from struggles. This tells me that David had a close relationship with God and that he always trusted God during the trials of his life.

Psalm 18 is my favorite among those that are listed because it is one of being a conqueror.