JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. (1 Samuel 28:7-14) Why do you think God condemns occult practices of communi-cating with the dead and channeling spirits of the dead? How might such practices open Christians to victimization and oppression by evil spirits? What should you do if you’ve been involved in such practices in the past?

• 2 months later...

Why do you think God condemns occult practices of communi-cating with the dead and channeling spirits of the dead?

THERE IS ONLY ONE SPIRIT; THE HOLY SPIRIT. ALL ELSE IS JUST............

How might such practices open Christians to victimization and oppression by evil spirits? ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE HOLY SPIRIT CAN BE MANIPULATED BY MAN FOR MAN'S PURPOSES.

What should you do if you’ve been involved in such practices in the past? REPENT!!

God condemns these practices because we are to communicate with God alone. Communicating with other spirits, opens the door to Satan!

It's an open door for Satan & his cronies to step in.

Confess & repent. Perhaps seek godly counseling to help you turn your life around.

When a person consults the dead it goes against total reliance on God. Matthew 8:22 says "Let the dead bury their dead". Christians should repent if they opened themselves to any type of occult practice.

(1 Samuel 28:7-14) Why do you think God condemns occult practices of communi-cating with the dead and channeling spirits of the dead?

God new that we will end up worship the dead. In Africa most of people worship the dead thinking they are the ones who protect them and give them jobs, food etc. What they do they will slaughter an animal to thank their gods

How might such practices open Christians to victimization and oppression by evil spirits?

Esaia 30 v 10 Which say to the seers, See not; and to the prophets, Prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits:

11 Get you out of the way, turn aside out of the path, cause the Holy One of Israel to cease from before us. Once you get involve in such practices you will only want to hear what you want.

What should you do if you’ve been involved in such practices in the past?

I have been involved in that for a very long time. I saw the useless of it and i will never go back in that situation again (I HAVE REPENTEND)

Q4. (1 Samuel 28:7-14) Why do you think God condemns occult practices of communicating with the dead and channeling spirits of the dead?

God condemns it because it is "IDOLATRY", a stumbling block before the believer, there is but one God that sits upon the throne, it is David's God, the God of Israel and our faith tells us that God's Son sits at his right hand, the scriptures warn us not to go after other god's, for our God is a jealous God, a God to be "FEARED".

1Chronicles 10:13 Speaks clearly how serious this is, "Saul died for his transgressions which he committed against the LORD, and against the word of the LORD, which he kept not, and also for asking counsel of one that had a familiar spirit, to enquire of it.

I believe it started when he let "REBELLION", bitterness against God's commandments to take hold of his heart, it is the same as “WITCHCRAFT”, and a heart of “REBELLION” is a heart that does not desire to enquire of the LORD: therefore God slew him, and turned the kingdom over to David.

What should you do if you've been involved in such practices in the past?

I would say "REPENT" setting your hearts desire unto serving God, a life that desires to enquire of the LORD and to do it.

We are anointed, we have the power of the Holy Spirit in us, now it is up to us to enquire of the LORD, for it is through "REPENTANCE" that our HEARTS desire is to follow Him.

Q4. (1 Samuel 28:7-14) Why do you think God condemns occult practices of communicating with the dead and channeling spirits of the dead?

God is the ONE and ONLY God, the source of ALL wisdom and truth. Seeking guidance from any other is idolatry and witchcraft....whose source is our enemy and God's.

How might such practices open Christians to victimization and oppression by evil spirits?

By consulting them, the door may be opened to them to come in and oppress, confuse, depress, mislead the believer. They are seducing spirits, whose aim is to mock God and destroy His children. To consult them is as good as an invitation....it's like saying, God's guidance isn't enough for me, what say you? (and expecting to hear anything with value or truth!)

Before I became a believer I was being seduced by a spirit of divination....(I thought I just had amazing psychic power, pretty heady stuff for a 17 year old!) I knew who was on the phone when it rang and told my family, and was always right. I told a friend's mother the siren was an ambulance coming to my house a block away...however there was as yet no sound of siren....but a bit later she heard it and we went outside and saw the ambulance pull up in front of my house. I ran home to see my oldest brother being taken to the hospital with polio. I predicted my own death before age 40, when I was 5 years old, as had been "revealed to me". (I'll be 70 on Christmas Day). Satan himself woke me one night appearing as an angel of light, and told me things about the future, which thrilled me so much that I told others, only they were all lies! (I thought it was Jesus appearing to me, and when the lies were discovered, I thought Jesus had lied to me!) On a 2 day trip for two to Las Vegas which I won in a radio contest at age 17, my mother went with me. While alone sunbathing by the pool, a well dressed, suave man approached me and invited me to come to work as a dancer at the Tropicana! (I shudder now to think what I would have become had I accepted his offer) There was an all out battle for my soul, in many areas. I was constantly whispered to "why don't you end the pain now and kill yourself", which my older brother had done at age 28, and which was a very appealing way to escape the abuse and terror of my childhood! I never SOUGHT nor invited these "advances", but they came, none the less.

When I became a Christian at age 30, I experienced PEACE and JOY for the first time in my life, but the taunts to kill myself continued until 6 years ago when I went through deliverance. I learned about renouncing the ties to the occult and of worshipping the "angel of light" which I had thought was Jesus that long ago night. There was much to deal with in that hour, but the oppression left, the desire to die or to commit suicide left, the spirit of heaviness which hung over me day and night, left, the debilitating terror and horror which often attacked me, leaving me shaking and with panic attacks, ended!

I praise God for setting me free, and for snatching me like a "brand from the fire" and for saving me! I praise Him for those who are fearless in standing in the gap for those who are bound, and helping to set me free and deliver me from Satan's vicious oppression!

HE BROUGHT ME OUT OF DARKNESS INTO HIS GLORIOUS LIGHT!

Q4. (1 Samuel 28:7-14) Why do you think God condemns occult practices of communicating with the dead and channeling spirits of the dead? How might such practices open Christians to victimization and oppression by evil spirits? What should you do if you've been involved in such practices in the past?

God clearly condemns this in Deuteronomy. First we are to worship the Lord our God with all our heart, mind, and soul. Second when you take your eyes off God and place them on anything else you are in danger but to get into the area of the occult you are in clear and present danger of the worst kind. Third God is a jealous God and He will punish this evil behavior and that is what it is. Demonic forces can enter and establish a stronghold when we aren't even aware if we give opportunity. Look at this world and look at the world of the Israelites and the practices around them. These people are feeding the evil nature in them and because it feels good because it comes natural to the natural man they fall for it as being an okay thing.

REPENT! REPENT! REPENT! Pray for God to drive out anything that is against Him. Pray in the name of Jesus our Lord and Savior! Pray that He will out of His complete mercy lead us on the paths of righteousness and that we will desire that path with all our heart, mind, and soul.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

Q4. (1 Samuel 28:7-14) Why do you think God condemns occult practices of communi-cating with the dead and channeling spirits of the dead?

Because it's too easy to be deceived by Satan and his demons. How could anyone possibly know who is really speaking through the medium?

I know there are people today who claim to communicate with the dead on behalf of the living and they tell them things that only the dead person would know. However Satan also knows and can use that to deceive a person hungry for knowledge from what he/she truly believes to be their dead relative. More people have been deceived and led into spiritual bondage by necromancy than we can imagine.

Even a Christian can be deceived. There are "deceitful spirits" whose very job it is to . . . wait for it . . . deceive!

Once under the influence of a deceitful spirit the poor unfortunate person is then open to demonic oppression and in some cases even possession. I'm definitely not exaggerating here. I personally know of a family who used to cast out demons and made the mistake of engaging in a dialog with a demon to get "inside info" on how Satan's forces operate. The demon spoke through the possessed person and offered the info. Of course, Satan had the time of his life spinning lie after lie which that family believed and then taught to their church family of which they were elders. The wise course of action would have been to bind the demon in Jesus' name to silence and tell it to get out. Satan is a liar and the father of liars. Don't listen to him or believe things mediums tell you, even if they seem well intentioned.

Repent. Then in the name of Jesus reclaim your life. Renounce in Jesus' Name all control given willingly or unwittingly to demonic forces and ask God to fill you with His Holy Spirit. You may need the assistance of your pastor or someone trained in deliverance ministry as well. If in doubt, don't try going it alone on this. Seek professional Godly help.

Because e loves us, because He is jealous for us. Throughout His Word He warns against doing so. The Apostle Paul kinda summed it as he rebuked Elymas in Acts 13:4-13, this guy was a sorcerer nonetheless all those that deal in this area deceive in one way or another. God throughout His Word warns against consulting with any who practice the likeness of these practices. Isaiah 8:18-19 and others that were inspired by the Holy Spirit warns people to seek God and none else. The counsel of any other that is not God, or that is not inspired by God leads us away from God. The children of Israel both northern tribes and the southern tribes went into bondage because they worshipped other gods, because they adhered to those with familiar spirit, because they did not adhere to the Spirit.

God condemns these evil practices and His little ones participating / partaking of them because they have the potential to lead us astray.

So many passages speak of this practices as deceiving: Daniel 2:27, Ezekiel 13:8, and others.

1 Chronicles 10:13 - 14 gives us a snap shot as to why Saul died, he enquired not of Him who saves.

The heart (mind) of man when not influenced by the Holy Spirit is wicked, those who practice such things are against the Lord, those who seek such things are not strengthen by the Spirit, therefore they are lead astray, some into bondage as were the children of Israel, some unto to death spiritual and possibility physical, even worse maybe the second death which is eternal.

Those said to have this ability deceive, prey and manipulate which leads to victimization and oppression.

With the help of the Holy Spirit stop, Repent, return unto the LORD of lords, KING of kings.

Q4. (1 Samuel 28:7-14)

Why do you think God condemns occult practices of communicating with the dead and channelling spirits of the dead?

God condemns occult practices because it is a turning away from Him and a deliberate statement that we do not trust Him for our future. How foolish is it that we do not depend on our Creator for His daily guidance. Most people want to know the future and turn to occult practices. This is most dangerous for Christians as it makes them vulnerable to victimization and oppression by evil spirits. It is much more wise to turn to God’s Word – our only dependable light in this world’s darkness. So in times of crisis, instead of turning to God for wisdom, we find people consulting demons, and this only increased their moral and spiritual darkness. God forbids His people to dabble in this satanic system. The increase of the occult in our own day is evidence that people are deliberately rejecting God's Word and turning to Satan's lies. I have never been involved in such practices and thank the Holy Spirit for protecting me. I trust God’s gospel of grace and His Word, knowing this will take care of all evil spirits.

We are given the commandment to worship one true God and not to have any other gods. Chosing any other source is violating the commandment of God. When we resort to occult practices,we turn away from God and put our faith in other mediums. God's wrath will definetley fall upon us. It is dishonoring the living God and therefore God codemns such pratices.

If we have involved oursleves in such forbidable practices repent before the Lord and ask the Lord to deliver us from trouble and sin and sin no more.

Occult pracitces open the door to Satan and his agents to enter our life. He is like a roaring lion about to devour anyone. When an open invitation is given to him through such pracitces we are open to oppression and he will kill and destroy us.

Why do you think that God condemns occult practices of communicating with the dead and channeling spirits of the dead?

All occult practices are the work of Satan. When a person participates in it, he or she is allowing demons to enter your soul and cause you trouble. I know a man who used to be a male medium and he showed pictures of what would happen at séances. It was not good. It was the work of Satan.

By going to séances and allowing the evil spirits to control you, you will have the burden of evil spirits in your soul until Jesus drives them out. They will control you and make you do things you do not want to do.

What should you do if you have been involved in such practices in the past?

Seek out a good Christian friend who will pray with you and study the Bible together. You must repent of all issues involving the occult and not look to it again. Put your full trust in Jesus Christ as your deliverer and follow Him alone.

Interesting what parts of the lessons encourage deep thought, reflection, and shared insights . . . and which ones don't. :)

Q4. (1 Samuel 28:7-14) Why do you think God condemns occult practices of communi-cating with the dead and channeling spirits of the dead? How might such practices open Christians to victimization and oppression by evil spirits? What should you do if you’ve been involved in such practices in the past?

The realm of spirit is Spirit's domain. When spirits reveal themselves to me, I take it only as a sign that their spirits still touch mine, not as an opportunity to initiate conversation and/or purposely seek to channel them through me. I have met and learned of two such people: prophets through whom God speaks and charlatans who seek only spiritual contact, outside of God's real influence. When one engages in the latter, one can never know for sure who may be using that one's spirit, mind, and body -- and in what ways such may be manipulated. It would be in our best interests -- in all peoples' best interests -- to let God be God and not try to do His Work in His Stead.

I quit.

Why do you think God condemns occult practices of communicating with the dead and channeling spirits of the dead? Because anything that is not of God is not righteous and about trusting and worshiping God. God said there shall be no other gods before me for, I am the Lord God am a jealous. Therefore if you are dappling into these areas you maybe worshiping evil and demonic practice and God is not please. How might such practices open Christians to victimization and oppression by evil spirits? Christians fall victims to a lot of these practice often times when they in distress from losing a love one or if they are going through very hard times and they need some words of comfort and encouragement. They lose patient and hope and trust in God and seek answer from these sources. What should you do if you've been involved in such practices in the past? I grew up in a church that taught us to fear and respect God so I tried my best to stay far away from any involvement from these practice. However, when I was a teenager before I got save and came into the true knowledge of Jesus Christ as my Savior, I use to buy those monthly roll up horoscope to read to tell what my future hold, so I guess I was naively dappling into astrology practice instead of turning to Jesus for answer. I know now that the horoscope are one of the gateway for falling trap into these other pactices. You might start worshiping the star gods or moon gods etc...seeking answers but they are not of The True God. I have since then turn from my wrong doings and repented and now I look to the true God for answers.

Why do you think God condemns occult practices of communicating with the dead and channeling spirits of the dead?

We must trust God for guidence in everything in our lives. Why would you like to communicate with a spirrit, the only Spirit that must matter to you is the Holy Spirit.

God will reveil to us what we need to know about the future and the after life, trust God to lead you where you are safe and within His will.

Also, messing around with spirrits expose you to dangers that we are not to be involved in at all. When you start messing with spirits, you are moving out of God's will and protection. You are not only tresspassing, you are openly disobedient to God. Until you repent, you are now piling up sin and removing yourself from God's protection. You are exposing yourself fully to demonic attack. Since you are doing this of free will, you are turning your back on God and allowing Satan access to yourself. You are not able to resist these powers without God protection.

REPENT. Confess your sins and beg forgiveness. Turn around completely and ask the Holy Spirit to clear out all traces that these spirits might have left within you.

Hand your whole life, body and soul to God and ask Him to wash you clean with the Blood of Jesus, give you protection through the Blood of Jesus and then follow the guidence of the Holy Spirit.

God wants us to seek Him in all things. Seeking others and their methods is the opposite of what a Christian should do. God is protecting us from being open to evil. We are the temple of the Holy Spirit. We should not jeopardize Him leaving us like He did Saul. God is quick to forgive us for anything we do, all we have to do is repent.

God condemns such practices because He wants us to go to Him in all things. He wants us to be protected from any kind of medium that satan could use to mislead us. We are of the light, not the darkness of the world of the dead.

We can be open to becoming victims of satan. If we don't as Gd about everything, who is good and loves us, then we are open to being deceived and drawn into things that are not good for us and may even suck us into the dark world of satan.

Before I was saved, I did some of these things. I was reading Horoscopes and consulting mediums about my future. Even as a child, it was considered "fun" to go to a seance and see what would happen. I had to repent of these practices and ask to be freed from what ever strongholds I had allowed into my life because of them. I had to ask God for forgiveness for not trusting Him as my sole provider and for not trusting in His guidance day by day. I look back now and think the whole thing was pretty creepy and dark and a false sense of security. I wonder what I EVER was thinking to want to see anybody come back from the dead! I'm very sensitive to rebuking anything like that that even comes near me! Even adds over the inter-net or horoscopes to read. I just want to steer as clear of any of that as possible! It is not from God and if it's not from God....then we know who is behind it!

It's a sin! Communicating with the dead is forbbiden by God.

We must stay away away from occult practices of any kind because involvement in the past that may have contaminated us spiritually

or made us vulnerable to Satan's deception or oppression. These are very dangerous practices that can harm us spiritually.

We we renounce and repent of any accult practices ask God to forvie us of our sins and cleanse us, we pray. Teach us to walk close to him. In Jesus' name, we pray Amen.

Q4. (1 Samuel 28:7-14) Why do you think God condemns occult practices of communicating with the dead and channeling spirits of the dead? How might such practices open Christians to victimization and oppression by evil spirits? What should you do if you've been involved in such practices in the past?

Because it exchanges the place of God for satanic agents.

Christians who consult mediums other the living God may be controlled by Satanic agents because they (Christians) have accepted the satanic agents

Quit immediately and repent.

Q4. (1 Samuel 28:7-14)

Why do you think God condemns occult practices of communicating with the dead and channeling spirits of the dead?

God condems occult practices of communicating with the dead and channeling spirits of the dead because such practices are not real. They are a hoax, demonic and pychologically lure people from the truth, they move away from God.

Such practices might open Christians to victimisation and oppression by evil spiritis by making them obey the instructions of satan which are always against God. They harm the people spiritually.

If I have been involved in such practices in the past, I should repent and ask God for the forgiveness.

I think that God condemns occult practices from communicating with the dead and channeling spirits of the dead because we are to look forward and not backward. We should not be consulting the dead for the living.

These practices are open to Christian victimization and oppression by evil spirits because they would be able to tell you anything they wished to tell you and you have no way of verifying what was said. So in effect you would be communicating with the evil one.

If we have been involved in such practices in the past we should repent of them and not do it anymore.

God condemns this type of practice because it is contrary to righteousness. It is satanic and of evil nature. "In addition He state though shall have no other god before me because I am a jealous God".

The bible says that we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. So if we open the door to those types of spirits and allow them into our lives we are in for a rude awakening. It would lead us to a life of destruction.

If you have been involved in such practices then you should begin to repent and seek God to the utmost.

I think that God condemns occult practices of communicating with the dead and channeling spirits of the dead because they are saying, by this action, that God cannot provide them with the answer that they are seeking. Though some might not see how Matthew 6:33 ties in to correcting this type of thinking, it is in fact most appropriate; "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." Everything that we need, in the will of God, is ours when we seek first the Kingdom of God. Having this truth as our guide when desiring to acquire knowledge will help us focus on God and His Kingdom.

When Christians dabble in the occult the enemy, Satan, has been given free access to attach demonic forces to the person and their family.

If you've been involved in such practices in the past, confess it as a sin, ask God for forgiveness and the Holy Spirit to empower you to resist the temptation even as you seek the Kingdom of God.