JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 2 months later...

Why do the men blame David?

They are human, we all try to find reasons why stuff happens. We ask "what went wrong, who did what?". In this case David took his men to fight against Israel, the answer must have looked obvious to the men. David took his men to attack God's nation, so they must have thought God punished them for marching against Israel. I think most of us whould have blamed David as well!!

Why is the situation so explosive at this point.

The men lost their families, they must have thought they were outside God's will because of what they did and where they stayed. They also knew Israel was under attack from its age old ennemy. They further knew the other leaders didn't trust them, if Israel was defeated there was no reason for the leaders not to attack David's little band as well.

They knew their town was attacked because they raided the very same people who now took their families, and the reason it was possible was because David didn't leave protection behind to take care for the families.

What does David do in the situation?

He sep search God. He is also weeping, but he knows the only place to find strength is to seek God. He has to be within God's will if he wants to have any solution to his problems.

He doesn't argue with his men, he doesn't try to justify himself, he doesn't rush off and try to correct the situation, he search God and His will. We must be the same.

He called a priest and enquire from God the next step to take. He wants to stay in God's will. How many of us would have rushed off to find our families? David took the time to take the correct action, to stay within God's will.

Earlier in the book we saw when Jonathan acted within God's will and God caused chaos within the ennimy camp, Saul called the priest to ask for God's will, but when he saw what was happening he told the priest, dont worry, let's attack. It shows clearly the diffenence between David and Saul. David takes time to stay within God's will.

Also David give praise to God where it is due, Saul wanted to kill Jonathan because he wanted the glory that belonged to God through Jonathan (Sam14), because jonathan took action through doing God's will.

David clearly was a better leader

We saw when David got upset with Nabal he acted out of his own will and nearly made a big mistake. This time he didn't act out of his own will, he wanted strength from God, leadership from God. He obviously learned his lesson from the mistake that he made with Nabal.

What is David feeling?

Grief, he was crying. He was also feeling hopeless, we see that he had to draw strength from God. He must have been afraid as well, his own men wanted to kill him, but he knew where his help would come from, so he asked guidence from God.

Why doesn't he act immediately?

He knew he had to 1st get direction from God. He knew he had to stay within God's will. When we act too soon we do our own solution instead of following God's guidence to get a perfect solution.

Q1. (1 Samuel 30:1-6) Why do the men blame David? NO ONE ELSE TO BLAME; HE IS THE LEADER AND THEIR FAMILIES WERE LEFT VULNERABLE TO OTHERS BECAUSE THEY FOLLOWED HIS ORDERS.

Why is the situation so explosive at this point. THE PAIN IS REAL. THE MEN WANTED TO STONE THE LEADER. THE LEADER FEELS THEIR PAIN.

What does David do in the situation? HE TURNS TO GOD.

What is David feeling? PAIN, PERPLEXITY, AND PONDERING.

Why doesn’t he act immediately? IT IS A GOD THING...ONLY GOD CAN PROVIDE THE RIGHT RESPONSE.

Blaming someone else for the problem at hand puts the guilt on that person, the men where so mad because David left no one to guard them. Also they were out helping the Philistines. I is a very critical moment, because of the tension of everybodys family is gone and the city burned.

David immediately without hesitation to find his comfort in the Lord, their can be no better place to turn when there seems to be no answers. David knows without a doubt his answer and help will come from God if he just stands still and not react out of anger. David and the whole group of men are tired and broken with grief of their lost, but although David knows that the men hats him, he seeks his comfort in the man who can. The God of man will not let his servant down, and the faith that David has in his God l, all will be well.

Maranatha Brother Mike

Q1. (1 Samuel 30:1-6) Why do the men blame David?

Typical behavior in crisis....figure out who to blame then focus the anger there. Somehow, focused anger makes us feel less impotent. David was their leader, and in their grief they may have thought: David "should have known better", "should have sought the Lord first in order to avert the crisis".

Why is the situation so explosive at this point. What does David do in the situation?

If the men had sought to avenge their rage on David, they'd have killed him. Being the lover of God that he was, he got alone with his God and sought His guidance, "encouraged himself in the Lord". Then sought Abiathar the priest to bring the ephod in order to "hear" what the Lord would tell him to do.

What is David feeling?

He and the men wept until they had no more strength to weep. Exhausted, frightened, angry, vulnerable, grieved, confused, responsible, perhaps abandoned by God, in the moments before he sought His guidance, but not hopeless, or in unbelief, or he wouldn't have sought the Lord.

Why doesn’t he act immediately?

I love that he didn't react, but waited until the Lord answered, so he could respond with wisdom and assurance. He didn't know what to do...pursue and perhaps run into an ambush where he and his men would be killed, or rush off without the Lord's strength and make things worse, fail to find and recover their precious families. David was a man who knew the Lord and almost always sought guidance before acting (except in the situation with Bathsheba, and when he took the census).

The men blame David, saying it was he who took them away from Ziklag and to Achish & the Philistines. The destruction happened because they were gone.

They were all mourning, angry and hurting. The leader is always blamed, so they were becoming more & more upset as time went on. David chose to be strengthened by the Lord. He knew where the power was--not in himself--so he sought the Lord.

David is upset & mourning with the rest of them. He probably felt guilty they were not able to guard the city & their families.

He valued his time with the Lord, to get His leading for them, for comfort & peace, and to seek counsel before reacting.

Q1. (1 Samuel 30:1-6) Why do the men blame David? Why is the situation so explosive at this point. What does David do in the situation? What is David feeling? Why doesn’t he act immediately?

Didn't the blame game begin in the garden? It has never stopped. It is a situation that has caused extreme distress and so they cast blame. I wonder if any of them mentioned to David leaving a few men behind to protect the camp before they went off with the Philistines or did they all just go along with it?

The emotions, unexpectedness and seriousness of the situation caused extreme emotions on all parts.

David refreshes himself in the Lord. It will clear his mind and give him strength and wisdom. He is at this time feeling very alone as the leader, very responsible and uncertain.

He needed the refreshment for his soul that only the Lord can and will provide. He also knew he needed the Lord's help for what he would do.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

Q1. (1 Samuel 30:1-6)

What is David feeling?

In his effort to flee Saul, David had sought asylum with the Philistines. Having been based at Ziklag, David and his army had moved north to Gath, to support the Philistines. So all their attention was focused on the confrontation between Israel and the Philistines. In moving up north they had left their homes at Ziklag vulnerable to attack. This is exactly what happened – the Amalekites destroyed Ziklag and took all the women and children captive. On their return the men had all expected to be reunited with their families only to find it destroyed and deserted. They had lost their wives, and children; not even knowing if their loved ones had been slain. David and the men were distraught with grief, lifting up their voices and weeping. Eventually grief turned to bitterness, anger, and rebellion. Now, David’s men blamed him for what happened, as it was his decision to go north. They wanted to stone him – they are obviously not thinking clearly, as now is the time they needed his leadership more than ever. David had an explosive situation on his hands. David in his is distress turns to the Lord. David knew that the encouragement he needed could only come from the Lord. So he does not retaliate immediately but first seeks guidance from God. He ordered Abiathar the priest to bring the ephod and together they sought the will of the Lord.

(1 Samuel 30:1-6) Why do the men blame David?

"the soul of all the people was grieved, every man for his sons and for his daughters" "all his men were very bitter about losing their sons and daughters"

The reasons could have been many, the lesson points towards if they had not been away, that could have very well be a reason. I believe that the reason is the same as it has been since the beginning, emotionally they were pressed. Because they were pressed emotionally they look for some one to blame, as they looked for someone to blame cause and effect came into play, this happened because.

I learned something many years ago that I earnestly try to live by, unfortunately I have failed more times than I have been successful. H.A.L.T. Never may a decision when you are hungry, angry, lonely, or tired. Translation never make an important decision when you are emotional due to pressing circumstances.

Note: Many times I have heard of David at Ziglag, and often, more than often the focus is going into the enemies camp to retrieve what the devil has stolen. Many sermons and song have been written concerning. I love another facet that is not often talked about, the sovereignty of God, though the circumstances are bleak, He allowed or ordained David and the men to return when they did. The Amalekites had just left, the destruction and the emptiness was visible, the fire and the smoke was visible, however they could not move but so fast with women, children and the booty.

Why is the situation so explosive at this point?

At that time, in the moment of suspense there was an emotional powder keg, all kinds of emotions were amidst, sadness, confusion, disbelief, ANGER, etc, the men (thought in their hearts) "spake of stoning him" When someone is anger often it doesn't take much to set them off, a word, pointing of a finger, a look, etc.. it doesn't always require the laying of hands when rage or when someone is near rage to go off. A man not long ago attacked a women at the airport because she continued to cough, he thought that she was spreading a disease of some sort when in truth she had coughing asthma. She was brutally assaulted, he was arrested all because he reacted in anger and haste.

David upon seeing the camp in the state of destruction wept aloud until just as the men did until he had no strength left to weep. Even though the men spoke to stone him, even though they sought to place the blame upon him, David did not retort an accusation, a word of offense nor defense. David turn to his Help, he turn where the others should have. "David encouraged himself in the LORD his God." "David found strength in the LORD his God." David could not turn to the men, he turned to God, the only one that could provide what was needed. The foundations had failed, but the Foundation was still firm, David was shocked, he had lost all, everything--wives, family, possession, comrades in arms, their fidelity, their confidence, and the their trust. David hit rock bottom, and this drove him to total dependence on God.

This has happened to me on many occasions, not beibg int total dependence on / of the Lord! Love this, Psalm 11, it does not speak directly to 1 Samuel 30, there is still merit, and I believe applicable, verse 3 " When the foundations are being destroyed, what can the righteous do?" "If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do?" My translation, when valued social norms or physical, emotional, mental things, are being or have been destroyed, what can those who are in intimate relationship with God do. Some can say what that should have been doing all along, but the truth of the matter is that we don't; always.

David was anointed but not perfect, nor are we, we are being perfected as we abide. The favor of God was upon him, one can look at many instances and see this, even during the time David made the decision to dwell among the enemy.

What is David feeling?

He was feeling some of the same emotions that the men felt, his family was among those that were taken. Perhaps he also felt betrayed by the men, instead of empathy they provided anger towards him. Perhaps because he was the leader his all that he felt was amplified, multiplied. Perhaps do to all that he was internalizing he was partially blind to what the men felt about him, he was broken, wounded, BUT he knew the Healer, he knew who could help.

I believe he doesn't act immediately because he doesn't know what do think, much less what to do. I don't know if he went through what many of us do, "why is this happening to me? Why did this happen to me? Truthfully I don't know why he didn't react immediately, however I am glad that he didn't. It could have been that he rarely ever reacted immediately to any given situation. What we do know from this passage is that he did not remain is a state of paralysis, he sought the Lord, he placed his will into the hands of the LORD, by consulting Him, before reacting to the men before him and towards those who had carried out this terrible act.

David found strength, courage in the Lord instead of looking for a scapegoat, somewhere to throw blame, he turned to the Lord.

David’s men were feeling great pain when they realized their loved ones were taken away and they were not there to protect them, I believe it was because of this pain that they allowed "GRIEF-BITTERNESS” TO FILL THEIR SOUL”, it was because of this “BITTERNESS OF THE SOUL” that the men blamed David

"BITTERNESS" is a corrupting force and if not dealt with, will lead one away from God and the soul will not be at "PEACE".

David’s men allowed their “GRIEF” to fill their soul, therefore they blamed David.

What is David feeling?

David is "DISTRESSED".

David’s soul is troubled and upset for his family was also taken away and he was not there to protect them.

I believe it wasn’t just because his men were threatening to stone him that troubled David so; besides his loss, I believe David was “DISTRESSED” because their soul was filled with "BITTERNESS - GRIEF".

David understood very well their loss, for it was his loss also, David also knew, in order for him to press forward in “FAITH” he must not allow "GRIEF BITTERNESS" to fill his soul, David knew he must stay stong in God, therefore he inquired of the LORD.

This situation called David to be strong, therefore he strengthened himself in the LORD his God.

David did not want “GRIEF” to take hold of his soul; he understood full well in order for a man of God to stand strong he must allow his “FAITH” to take hold.

David knew the only way he could find encouragement was to seek after God’s wisdom; David remembered the strength he had from the LORD as when he in faith fought the giant.

David does not act immediately because he is learning to wait upon the LORD'S timing.

David learned as we read in Psalm 18:6 it is in those times of "DISTRESS" that one must call upon the LORD, waiting to hear His voice, not just in times of trouble, but each and every day, it should become a habit of the mind, waiting for God’s perfect timing and not ours.

David’s men were feeling great pain when they realized their loved ones were taken away and they were not there to protect them, I believe it was because of this pain that they allowed "GRIEF-BITTERNESS” TO FILL THEIR SOUL”, it was because of this “BITTERNESS OF THE SOUL” that the men blamed David

"BITTERNESS" is a corrupting force and if not dealt with, will lead one away from God and the soul will not be at "PEACE".

David’s men allowed their “GRIEF” to fill their soul, therefore they blamed David.

What is David feeling?

David is "DISTRESSED".

David’s soul is troubled and upset for his family was also taken away and he was not there to protect them.

I believe it wasn’t just because his men were threatening to stone him that troubled David so; besides his loss, I believe David was “DISTRESSED” because their soul was filled with "BITTERNESS - GRIEF".

David understood very well their loss, for it was his loss also, David also knew, in order for him to press forward in “FAITH” he must not allow "GRIEF BITTERNESS" to fill his soul, David knew he must stay stong in God, therefore he inquired of the LORD.

This situation called David to be strong, therefore he strengthened himself in the LORD his God.

David did not want “GRIEF” to take hold of his soul; he understood full well in order for a man of God to stand strong he must allow his “FAITH” to take hold.

David knew the only way he could find encouragement was to seek after God’s wisdom; David remembered the strength he had from the LORD as when he in faith fought the giant.

David does not act immediately because he is learning to wait upon the LORD'S timing.

David learned as we read in Psalm 18:6 it is in those times of "DISTRESS" that one must call upon the LORD, waiting to hear His voice, not just in times of trouble, but each and every day, it should become a habit of the mind, waiting for God’s perfect timing and not ours.

Q1. (1 Samuel 30:1-6) Why do the men blame David? Why is the situation so explosive at this point. What does David do in the situation? What is David feeling? Why doesn't he act immediately

Because David left the camp without leaving some men to guard it. They believed that it was David's fault

Because the men were already tired from the long trek and found their loved ones and valuables all taken away.

David turned to God, wept, sang quietly and asked God's intervention.

David didn't act immediately because he needed to wait and know God's counsel on the issue

Just as the men would have praised David for victories won, they also blame him for losses they suffer.

David's men have lost their families and their possessions. In their grief they could very well turn on David or desert him altogether.

David looks to God to keep himself focused. He knows God will help him regain what's been taken.

What is David feeling?

David would be feeling exactly the same as his men. He'd lost his family as well. But unlike his men David is quietly confident that God will help him reverse this terrible situation.

It is important to let the men grieve. Give them time to come to terms with what has happened. Then David doesn't want to go off ill-prepared either. We read that he calls for the priest and the ephod to determine if he should pursue the raiders. Only when God gives him the OK does David go after them.

Q1. (1 Samuel 30:1-6) Why do the men blame David? David had every one the soldiers join the Philistines 50 miles north to join their forces to fight against Saul.

Why is the situation so explosive at this point. The men are exhausted and feel defeated because everything that they hold dear have been taken and may have even been killed.

What does David do in the situation? He weeps with the rest of the men and goes to the Lord for strength and courage.

What is David feeling? According to Sameuel 30:6a, he is "greatly distressedl."

Why doesn’t he act immediately? He needed to go to the Lord for his strength.

-David's men blamed him, stating that David made them go North with their Philistine enemies.

-The situation was so explosive because some of his men were talking of stoning him to death.

-In this situation David quietly prayed and asked our God for strength.

-David is feeling downcast, exhausted, weak and grief stricken.

- David didn't act immediately because he trusted God and knew He would give him strength and help him in this situation.

God has heard my prayers and answered me in so many situation that I have faced in life. He rescued me when it seems that it was no way out. MY GOD WAS ALWAYS WITH ME. THANK YOU LORD THROUGH OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST.

Why do the men blame David? They felt he took all the men and left their home camp unprotected and caused the Amalekites amry to come in and take their women and children and burn their land. Why is the situation so explosive at this point? Although, God intervened and worked it so they did not have to fight against Saul’s and his army, they left their family and went there to help fight with the Philistines who are their enemies. David and his men had been dismissed after just traveling miles there and then having to turn back and travel miles back to find out that their entire family and land is gone, there is no wife of child or love to come home to because your love ones are gone. What does David do in the situation? David turns to God for comfort and encouragement and he also sought council of the Lord about the situation, regarding should he or shouldn’t he go after the men that took their family. What is David feeling? David was sadden and greatly distress by what had happen in verse 4 it said that he wept with his men, because David also had his wives taken too. I also felt that David being the man that he was felt very responsible for what had happen but he knew just who to turn to (v.6). David could've went around continue feeling depressed or retaliated towards the men that were upset and ready to stone him, but instead he sought for encouragement/strength from The Lord. Why doesn't he act immediately? Remember David was also greatly distress and he knew his men were upset and tired from their previous journey and he didn’t want to stir the pot so to speak, so he did what he trusted best he sought the Lord.

(1 Samuel 30:1-6) Why do the men blame David?

For all the people were very angry in their sorrow for their sons and daughters being taken captive. "If David hadn't made us go north with our Philistine enemies, this wouldn't have happened,"

None of them expected to get home to such extremely and shockingly situation

Just to pray

What is David feeling?

Depressed deeply troubled like everyone

He waited upon he Lord

The men blame David because he took them to the north to fight the Philistines without leaving anyone take care of their famiilies.

The situation is so explosive beacuse they never expected such a tragedy to happen.

David strengthens himself in the Lord and choses to trust Him.

David is alarmed and worried as well.

He always inquires of the Lord. He waits upon the Lord now to reveal His will to him in prayer.

Q1. (1 Samuel 30:1-6) Why do the men blame David? Why is the situation so explosive at this point. What does David do in the situation? What is David feeling? Why doesn’t he act immediately?

The men blame David because he led them and took all the men to fight in the north. They felt that some men should have been left to protect the women and children and now all of them had been taken captive.

The situation is so explosive because each man was bitter in their own hearts and talked of stoning David. This was a rebellion against their leader.

David, is himself devastated at their loss. But he, does not let the anger and bitterness overcome him. He instead, turns to God and quiets himself, praying to God and trusting Him to help in the situation.

David is feeling every bit of grief the others feel, but he reacts to it in a different way.

He doesn't act immediately because he knows that he needs to seek God and he needs to wait on God for help and for wisdom for the means to bring their families back home.

David is their leader and made the decision to go with the Philistine army into battle with Saul and the Israelites. The leader of a group, always bears the responsibility for what the group does by his leading.

Why is the situation so explosive at this point?

David and his men have left the Philistine army and went back home to Ziklag to find it destroyed and their families gone. Having taken 3 days to return home, all were weary and tired and each one wanted to blame someone - their leader, David.

What does David do in this situation?

David is tired! He has lost his family! He weeps! But he does not let his anger control him and he turns to the Lord God to seek help and comfort.

What is David feeling?

He is feeling hurt, that he wasn't there to protect the city. He is feeling ashamed that he took his men away from their families. The only way out of despair is to seek his hope in the Lord God.

He is wise enough to realize that making decisions when feeling depressed is never the right decision. But most of all he takes the time to seek his master - the Lord God of the Heavens. David needs guidance on what to do.

They came home to find Ziklag destroyed with smoke arising from the ashes. They felt that David took them from their homes and families; also David should have left some men behind to protect and defind them.

Not only the Amalekites had raided Ziklag and burned it, and had taken captive the women and all who were in it, both young and old.

Sitting by himself. He sits in the dust with tears running down his face, but he is praying. He is singing quietly to himself and to the Lord

David was distress his men lost faith in him. The men was talking of stoning him; each one was bitter in spirit because of his sons and daughters.

He must connect with the lord himself so that he can find strength to go on?

I have taken some time writing my responses because these chapters do require a little thought, even though the bible is right before me.

So, perhaps David's conquests in war and his killings have brought destruction upon Ziklag-in other words, they know who David is. This is an explosive moment because both David's wives: Jezreel and Abigail have been captured as well. David was distressed but found stength in the Lord.

The men blamed David because he was their leader and felt that he should have provided protection for the wives and children while the husband were away. The situation is so explosive at this point because the men were already feeling as rejects because the Philistine army did not want the accompanying them to battle. David in this situation did what we all should do when faced with a problem that you need the power of God to resolve; David prayed to God then he turn around and thank God through encouraging himself in the Lord. Right then David was feeling what a sheep would feel when faced with an almost impossible situation and then having to depend on the Good Shepherd. David didn't act immediately because he waited on spiritual guidance, which was given to him by the Lord.

It's part of being human I guess to blame others even for things that they are not necessarily responsible for... our society is also wired in such a way as to find the "culprit", the one who somehow has to take the blame for "justice" sake... I wonder how many folks have been imprisoned or sentenced unjustly just to satisfy due justice for a committed crime... nothing to do with God's Justice for sure!!

Why is the situation so explosive....

When things such as close family members are in danger of being killed by an enemy, perspectives do change a lot. And David's army at this point is tired and emotionally strained. Fatigue and stress combined with fear of losing their own families are at the heart of such strong reaction against David who had led these men so far and protected them and their families from many other dangers (including king Saul).

He goes to God. He cries out to Him. He knows his life is not as valuable as God's mercy... He knows he can trust God's goodness to resolve the problem but he needs to find God and strength in Him first!!!! David knew that this was a very dangerous situation that required God Himself before any action could be taken!!!

What is David feeling?

He feels helpless, poor in spirit, hopeless and empty. He knows he cannot do anything in his own strength...

He wants to figure out the will of God in this situation... he doesn't want to move out of sheer human passion!! He knows how God can bring success to him as he seeks God's strategy!! David had much experience in trusting in the Lord than his own strength... He knows better than moving out of impulsiveness.

David is the leader over them and It was him that had an agreement with Achish the Philistine King. Of course most of us would like to shift the blame to someone else and not ourselves during this distressing times.

The men had not had time to think on anything, so they are not rational. All they are thinking about is their family and blaming themselves for not being around for them.

The best thing for anyone of us to do in that situation is seek God in the mist of our troubles. I know that David felt hurt about his family as well but at the same time he has to stay focus of his surrounding and seek God. Because God is Deliverance, He is our help in times of trouble, and He has the answer.