JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 2 months later...

From the Psalms of David, how does David seem to strengthen himself in the Lord when things are going bad? What devotional exercises does he adopt?

He calls on God when things are tough, "In my distress I called to the LORD", he knows where to find help.

He trust in God for guidance and freedom, "The LORD is my light and my salvation" he knows to keep his focus on God

He also knows God is Almighty, he is protected from any attack "whom shall I fear?"

He builds his confidence and faith on the Rock of salvation. "The LORD is the stronghold of my life -- of whom shall I be afraid?"

He praises God in all situations, as Ps63 is a beuitiful example, also Ps34.

"I will extol the LORD at all times;

his praise will always be on my lips.

My soul will boast in the LORD;

let the afflicted hear and rejoice.

He draw strength from his experiances with God. He saw God working in his life, thus he knew God will help him again.

" He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand." (Psalm 40:1)

He was actively searching for God, just as we must find the Kingdom of God by actively searching God and His Kingdom in all we do.

"As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God."

He hands over his problems to God, he comunicates all that happens with him to God

"These things I remember as I pour out my soul"

He encourages himself by reminding himself what an awesome God he serves.

"Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God."

He raises his request to God, he tells God what he wants, but he still searches God's will. He knows to stay true to God.

"Be merciful to me, O God, for men hotly pursue me; all day long they press their attack.

My slanderers pursue me all day long; many are attacking me in their pride. When I am afraid, I will trust in you.

He find rest in God, although he is being attacked and going through difficult times, he is at peace.

"My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation, he is my fortress, I will never be shaken."

What is the focus of his faith?

God. He finds strength in God, he trust God and he searches God's will

From the Psalms of David, how does David seem to strengthen himself in the Lord when things are going bad? RETREAT INTO THE PURSUIT AND THE PRESENCE OF GOD.

What devotional exercises does he adopt? PRAYERS OF ACKNOWLEDGEMENT AND PETITION

What is the focus of his faith? GOD

Q2. (1 Samuel 30:6) From the Psalms of David, how does David seem to strengthen himself in the Lord when things are going bad?

David gets quiet, pours out his heart to the Lord, honestly and respectfully; he cries for help and comfort; then speaks what he knows of and has experienced in the Lord's goodness and faithfulness to him. Then he gives thanks and worships his Lord in expectant hope and assurance the the Lord has heard and the answer is on the way!

What devotional exercises does he adopt?

It seems that "Asking, seeking, knocking" would apply. Also, he sought the Lord with his whole heart, as one who is "up to date with God", not as a stranger who only comes when he needs something. David was a worshipper, and offered praise and worship, no matter what was going on....he always prayed from the perspective that God is Good all the time, is always faithful, and loves me as his own child.

Always in the Lord, and the desire to be obedient, rather than in his own ability or wisdom.

He praised the Lord, sought Him, waited for Him, trusted in God and rested in Him.

He cried for help from the Lord, sang hymns, prayed for God's leading.

His focus was on who God is and His power & strength!

David knows where his strength lies, without a intervention of Gods power he does not have a chance. When he says that his heart panted like a thirsty deer, that is almost at the point of dying if he does not get a drink. I don 't know about the condition everyone else was in but David was going to get a hold of no matter the cost. This is what I call the bulldog mentality, go after and don 't turn loose.

You can touch God in many ways, singing, praising Him. I have noticed when tour start talking about the greatness of God He always seems to show up.

Maranatha Brother Mike

David knows where his strength lies, without a intervention of Gods power he does not have a chance. When he says that his heart panted like a thirsty deer, that is almost at the point of dying if he does not get a drink. I don 't know about the condition everyone else was in but David was going to get a hold of no matter the cost. This is what I call the bulldog mentality, go after and don 't turn loose.

You can touch God in many ways, singing, praising Him. I have noticed when tour start talking about the greatness of God He always seems to show up.

Maranatha Brother Mike

How does David strengthen himself in the Lord when things are going bad? What devotional praises does he adopt? What is the focus of his faith?

I believe that David went to his secret place, within himself, a place where he was able to be alone with God even in the midst of his present surroundings; and he began to call upon the Lord of his help as he has done many times before. I also believe that David found himself at one of the lowest times in his life; and he had to deciede whether to throw it all away or to call out to God for His forgiveness; and His rescue.

David didn't make a snap decision, instead he sang praises unto the Lord, He worshipped him, he told the Lord that he knew that GOD was the God of his salvation and that he knew God would show him the way. He put his faith to work; and his faith was sure and unwavering. He found strengh in the Lord of his salvation.

God is his focus, the ever present help in the time of trouble. He realized that God was waiting to answer his prayers, to restore everything which was lost from them. David knew if his praise and worship were sincere with humility the Lord would answer.

David teaches us the way we should appear before mankind in our times of trouble and distress. He teaches us that we do have a choice, we can either allow ourselves to fall off the deep end of dispare, or we can fall down on our knees and remember the things that God has done for us and know for certain that he will be there again. God is waiting ready to forgive, rescue; and restore, all we need to do is strengthen ourselves , yet again in the Lord our God. Amen! and glory to God.

Q2. (1 Samuel 30:6)

From the Psalms of David, how does David seem to strengthen himself in the Lord when things are going bad?

No matter what our trouble or trial, it's always good to look back and recall the goodness of the Lord. This is what David did. David remembered how the Lord delivered him from his enemies and specifically from Saul. He had learned during his years running away and hiding that ultimate success had depended on faith in the Lord and patience during His providential working. He knew there was no one to turn to for strength in such an overwhelming crisis except the LORD. It is when we read the Psalms that we begin to get an understanding of what David must have been going through; his inner turmoil and his deep love and trust for the Lord. He strengthened himself by realising: that God is his refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble (Psalm 41:1); by putting his trust and hope in the Lord (Psalm 9:10); waiting patiently and turning to the Lord (Psalm 40:1); by acknowledging that God had delivered him from all his fears (34:4); and by hearing his cries for help (18:6).

David pours out his heart to the Lord, honestly and respectfully; he cries for help and comfort.

Always in the Lord, and the desire to be obedient, rather than in his own ability or wisdom.

No matter what our trouble or trial, it's always good to look back and recall the goodness of the Lord.

He strengthened himself by realizing: that God is his refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble ;

By putting his trust and hope in the Lord ;

Waiting patiently and turning to the Lord ;

By acknowledging that God had delivered him from all his fears ;

By hearing his cries for help .

Q2. (1 Samuel 30:6) From the Psalms of David, how does David seem to strengthen himself in the Lord when things are going bad?

David firstly acknowledges that God is his source of hope. He pours out his heart to God in his distress. He also praises God in anticipaton of receiving Divine help. He knows God will rescue him.

Praise and worship as well as petitioning God for the help he needs to keep going in the face of continual adversity.

Almighty God . . . no one else.

(1 Samuel 30:6) From the Psalms of David, how does David seem to strengthen himself in the Lord when things are going bad?

David knew how to pour his heart to the Lord in every situation

praise and worship

In the Lord God

He "called" and "cried" to him in Psalm 18:6

He encouraged himself by saying that "The Lord is my light and my salvation" and his "stronghold" in Psalm 27.

He "praised" Him and "sought" Him in Psalm 34.

He "waited patiently for the Lord" in Psalm 40

He "thirsted for God", "poured out his soul" to Him, and put his "hope in God" in Psalm 42.

He "trusted in" God in Psalm 56.

and he found "rest in God alone" in Psalm 62

What devotional exercises does he adopt? Prayer, thanksgiving, praise, and supplication.

What is the focus of his faith? David trusted the Lord for his help, strength, and hope at all times, but especially in his weakest moments.

From the Psalms of David, how does David seem to strengthen himself in the Lord when things are going bad?

No matter what our trouble or trial, it's always good to look back and recall the goodness of the Lord. This is what David did. David remembered how the Lord delivered him from his enemies and specifically from Saul. He had learned during his years running away and hiding that ultimate success had depended on faith in the Lord and patience during His providential working. He knew there was no one to turn to for strength in such an overwhelming crisis except the LORD. It is when we read the Psalms that we begin to get an understanding of what David must have been going through; his inner turmoil and his deep love and trust for the Lord. He strengthened himself by realising: that God is his refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble (Psalm 41:1); by putting his trust and hope in the Lord (Psalm 9:10); waiting patiently and turning to the Lord (Psalm 40:1); by acknowledging that God had delivered him from all his fears (34:4); and by hearing his cries for help (18:6).

I really liked your comment about "David remembered." How often we forget where our strength comes from.

Q2. (1 Samuel 30:6) From the Psalms of David, how does David seem to strengthen himself in the Lord when things are going bad? What devotional exercises does he adopt? What is the focus of his faith?

From the Psalms David strengthens himself by humbly coming before God and seeking refuge in Him and asking for strength. He draws on the character of God and the promises of God to come to his aid.

David adopts songs and psalms of thanksgiving and praise and draws on scripture to proclaim who God is. He is very prayerful and not only ask God for help, but proclaims the righteousness of God and the strength of God and all the attributes God has shown to him in intimacy of His faithfulness.

The focus of his faith is the love of God and the faithfulness of God to His servant David.

Q2. (1 Samuel 30:6) From the Psalms of David, how does David seem to strengthen himself in the Lord when things are going bad? What devotional exercises does he adopt? What is the focus of his faith?

David pours his heart and tell God his pains; the threat of his enemies and then appeal for his intervention and declares his trust/ faith in Him

David worships, praises God and asks God for help then declares his dependence on God's unfailing love and love.

(1 Samuel 30:6) From the Psalms of David, how does David seem to strengthen himself in the Lord when things are going bad?

I believe he does so by surrendering unto God! He acknowledges God as being All wise, All knowing, All power. He glorifies God, he acknowledges God as his guide his source to move forward, and lastly if there was any iniquity he repents of it.

Worth ship, worship, praise, and prayer.

"My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him.

He alone is my rock and my salvation;

The focus (center, heart, focal point) of his faith is God Himself!

From the Psalms of David, how does David seem to strengthen himself in the Lord when things are going bad? God is David's Rock and Salvation and his fortress (shield) in time of need. David goes to God and gets comfort and joy from Him.

What devotional exercises does he adopt? David is always, praying and giving thanks and praises and glory and honor to God. He always seeks protection from his enemies.

What is the focus of his faith? Hope, Trust, and Believed in God. ..David is one of my favorite biblical male people why because he knew he was a man with faults and that may him relatable to me, but he always knew that he can seek God and repent. God is David rock and salvation.

From the Psalms of David, how does David seem to strengthen himself in the Lord, when things are going bad?

David has had many experiences with God in his life and he knows, without a doubt, that the Lord God will listen to him. David has "faith vision" and can see the end result of his faith, in hope. God has always taken care of David and he trusts, He will do the same in every situation.

Whatever is hurting David, he pours out what is on his mind, opens his soul and lets it speak. David knows that God will deliver him and waits on Him. David liked to write down his hurts and praise to let others share in his true worship of the Lord God.

GOD! God alone! God in all His majestic splender!!

In his distress he called to the Lord and he cried to God for help.

Putting your hope in God for He will yet praise him and when he is afraid, he will trust in God.

His belief and strong faith in God.

His soul finds rest in God alone

He is his fortress, I will never be shaken

When the men were talking about stoning David, David found strength in the Lord and reminded himself of what God can do, has done and what He is as described in the psalms. In particular, Psalms 18:6, 56:1-4, 62:1-2

David seem to strengthen himself in the Lord when things are going bad by going to the Lord, praising, worshipping and exaulting God and trusting that He will bring him out of all his troubles. He has adopted a daily exercise of worshipping the true and living God. David focuses his faith on the omnipotence of God.

From the Psalms, how does David strengthen himself?

- He cries out to God

- He seeks the Lord

- He waits on the Lord

- He praises Him

- He boasts of God's abilities

- He reminds to himself what the Lord had done for him in the past

- He makes declarations as to who the Lord is and His mighty deeds

- He makes known his inner state & feelings (my soul pants...)

- He puts His full confidence in the Lord

He was "centering down," and sought to come into a state of inner peace that would allow him to become more sensitive to God and his guidance.

God Himself is the focus of His faith. David knew God because of his intimate dealings with Him and because of the mighty things he was able to do in the past (killing a lion, a bear and Goliath) thanks to the Lord who had intervened on his behalf. Somehow David could build on what he knew of God from his past experiences.

From the Psalms of David, David seems to strengthen himself in the Lord when things are going bad by calling for the Lord for resolution.

He keeps on praying, calling and crying for the Lord.

The focus of his faith is the believe that, there is nothing impossible when he calls for the lord.