JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 2 months later...

David is gracious in his memorial psalm. How does he remember Saul's life?

David remembers that Saul was anointed by God. He focus on the possitive, he remembers how God worked through Saul while Saul was still in His will. He also remember's that Saul worked hard for the nation, even though much of this was done out of selfishness, David remembers the positive. When we live close to god we often only see the good in everybody.

How does the Chronicler remember Saul's life?

He see how Saul was selfish, how Saul tried too use God for personal gain. he saw how Saul became self focused and not God focused.

How do you think God evaluates Saul's life?

This is between God and Saul, but i dont want to be in Saul's shoes when he was judged..

What do we learn from this?

live for God, search God's will in everything you do. Search His kingdom. be obedient to God. Humble yourself. Be a mirror image of Jesus, let everybody see Jesus in your life.

We live on borrowed time, we can die anytime. Since our lives are borrowed from God, hand over control of your life back to God, give back your life to Jesus before it is too late. Praise God that He gave us a Saviour that can be a perfect Master to us, we must learn to serve our Saviour so that our names can be remembered in a positive way

David is gracious in his memorial psalm. How does he remember Saul's life? ONE OF A WARRIOR AND A LEADER.

How does the Chronicler remember Saul's life? DISOBEDIENCE TO GOD.

How do you think God evaluates Saul's life? ONE OF MISGUIDED FAITH.

What do we learn from this? THE ONE AND ONLY GOD SHOULD BE OUR FOCUS.

Q3. (2 Samuel 1:19-27; 1 Chronicles 10:13-14) David is gracious in his memorial psalm. How does he remember Saul’s life?

David recounts Saul's and his life as "Your glory, O Israel is slain upon your high places, How the mighty have fallen"....David is not bitter or demeaning, and has moved to the place of forgiveness, perhaps realizing that Saul was his school room for learning how to be king ..... by doing the opposite of Saul's behavior and actions. He remembers him with dignity and as God's anointed king over Israel, and with sadness.

How does the Chronicler remember Saul’s life?

The Chronicler remembers him with the facts, as stated by the Lord: So Saul died for his trespass against the Lord in sparing Amalek, for his unfaithfulness in not keeping God's word, and for consulting a medium/witch, a spirit of the dead to inquire pleadingly of it....and did not inquire of the Lord in earnest penitence; Therefore the Lord slew him and turned the kingdom over to David son of Jesse."

He is "painted with an honest brush", as a fallen, disobedient, ungodly king, who was unworthy of the high office!

How do you think God evaluates Saul’s life?

In the same way as the Chronicler....as an unremarkable sinner who did not repent and had to be removed, for the sake of the Kingdom of Israel.

We are all sinners, saved by grace. Live a surrendered life in close fellowship with the Lord, and He will direct our paths. We each have a destiny to fulfill, as Saul did, had he followed the Lord. Seek Him early, follow Him eagerly, love Him above all others!

David remembers Saul as a great warrior and provider for his family.

That Saul was unfaithful to God and God, in turn, turned the kingdom over to David.

God knew Saul's heart, how he did not obey God, even through Samuel. He wanted to do things himself & not wait on the Lord.

God knows our hearts. We need to be obeying what God tells us in His Word, to grow and remain in fellowship with the Lord.

Q3. (2 Samuel 1:19-27) David is gracious in his memorial psalm. How does he remember Saul's life?

Even though Saul tried to kill David, David did not have hatred against the anointed king of Israel, Saul.

(Saul deemed David as his enemy; however, David did not look at Saul as his enemy for David came to understand, the greatest enemy of Saul was that of Saul.)

I believe the heart of David would rather remember Saul in his early days when the Spirit was with him, a truly anointed king of God, therefore David spoke about Saul’s bravery, how he was swifter than eagles, stronger than lions, for Saul was a strong and valiant king who did enrich the nation, whereby the households were able to provide well for their families, David would rather remember him for the positive he did do as king.

How does 1Chronicles 10:13-14 remember Saul's life?

Saul was remembered for his great bravery, a mighty man of war who was killed in the line of duty, fighting against the enemies of Israel.

It is because of this, remembering Saul’s courage and all the good Saul did for Israel that valiant men went into the danger zone in order to reclaim their bodies and bring them back, in order for them to be given a proper burial, and they fasted seven days for these heroes.

God evaluates Saul's life according to his heart.

God desires his anointed to have a circumcised heart, a heart that is willing to follow after God's commandments, to do them.

Saul could not hide the true motives of his heart from God, God saw Saul's heart was not circumcised, his heart was that of a stiff-necked, obstinate, disobedient man, therefore God evaluated his life and held him accountable for his transgressions that were disagreeable with that of the LORD'S.

Saul did not "FEAR" God, Saul's life revealed he was not concerned about keeping the word of the LORD, as we see him slip deeper and deeper into that of "IDOLOTRY", and we see him asking to council with one that had a familiar sprit ,so that he could enquire of it, is the same as giving worship.

God is a God of “LOVE” but he is also a God of “JUDGMENT".

What I learned from this is that God is the same today as he was in Saul's day, my heart will reveal my "FAITH", and my actions will reveal the condition my heart is in.

The promise of the "CROSS" is that Christ will write on my heart His Fathers laws, and that is what he has done, I am a new creation, I do have a new heart, a heart that desires to follow after God's laws to do them, I do not have the same desires and for that I am most THANKFUL!

The race I am running is that of a "FAITHFUL BRIDE" and when my race has ended I want very much for my "BRIDEGROOM" to proudly introduce me to his Father and say, "See Father what I have purchased for you", as I stand there a bride who has put on His righteousness, a faithful bride who has added many gem stones of her own to her wedding gown of white linen, which are her righteousness, for no longer are her righteousness that of filthy rags, for the calling of the heart is that of action, outwardly displaying not that of perfection, but that of "FAITH", for her desire is to run the race with the goal of pleasing her family, the three in one God".

-David remembers Saul's life as loved, gracious, swifter than eagles and stronger than Lions.

-The Chronicler remembers Saul's life as unfaithful to the LORD; He did not keep the word of the LORD and even consulted a medium for guidance. He did not inquire of the LORD. God put him to death and gave the Kingdom to David.

-I think God evaluated Saul's life as unfaithful and ungracious.

-I learn to be faithful and to seek Him only for guidance.

Q3. (2 Samuel 1:19-27; 1 Chronicles 10:13-14)

David is gracious in his memorial psalm.

How does he remember Saul's life?

In David’s lament for Saul we see David's sincere grief over the death of Saul. He speaks highly of Saul mentioning his skill and bravery and willingness to give his life for his country. There are no negatives in this song, nothing is mentioned about the sins or mistakes Saul had made. Only positives are mentioned: how the mighty have fallen; loved and gracious; swifter than eagles; stronger than lions. The Chronicler, on the other hand, has only negatives to say about Saul’s life. Highlighting the facts that that Saul did not keep the word of the Lord, being unfaithful and having consulted a medium. So we see a contrast here, Saul’s disloyalty to God against David’s loyalty – David being a man after God’s own heart. We know from 1 Samuel that God had rejected Saul. He disobeyed God on so many occasions as well as neglecting to ask God for guidance in running the kingdom. We can learn much from David’s attitude and reaction towards Saul. Only a person who is in close fellowship with God could speak mercifully and kindly about another who had wronged him and even tried to kill him. I know from my own experience it would be most difficult for me to forgive such a person. The lesson here is not to let any wrong hinder our walk with God and to allow bitterness to creep into our lives.

Q3. (2 Samuel 1:19-27; 1 Chronicles 10:13-14) David is gracious in his memorial psalm. How does he remember Saul’s life? How does the Chronicler remember Saul’s life? How do you think God evaluates Saul’s life? What do we learn from this?

David remembers Saul's life for the good things he did. He remembers him as a mighty warrior and as a person who was loved and will be missed. He remembered him as a King who should be grieved over.

The Chronicler, remembers him for the evil he did. That he turned from the Lord and that he died because he had not been faithful to the Lord.

I think God loved Saul, but God is righteous also. Saul turned from God and God left him. I think God grieves when those he loves don't love him back, but he doesn't "force" his love on them and in righteousness, he leaves them just as He left Saul.

I learn from this to make sure I am in right standing with God. I love God and desire to please Him and follow Him, but if I ever turn from Him in rebellion, He doesn't have to stay with me. My free will is to accept Him or not and to choose the way I will walk. With Him or not.

Q3. (2 Samuel 1:19-27; 1 Chronicles 10:13-14) David is gracious in his memorial psalm. How does he remember Saul’s life?

David is very diplomatic in his eulogy to Saul. Like any good eulogist, he emphasises the good things about Saul while skipping the bad. David is alo mindful that God made Saul king in the first place. Saul did have some redeeming traits.

I remember going to the funeral of the worst example of a human being I ever knew. Like everyone else at the funeral I had to restrain myself from punching the air and yelling . . . YES!!! At last we're rid of him! He was a blasphemous, arrogant, self-centered, hateful man with no redeeming qualities. I'd been praying for him that God would somehow lead him to repentance through me. He'd been my supervisor and made my life as difficult as he possibly could, just because he could. He was the second bottom rung on the ladder and I was the only one under his authority. So I copped all his hatred and vitriol every single day. People used to ask me how come I didn't kill him . . . and they were serious! I told them that my Christianity was the only thing keeping Bill alive. If I hadn't been a Christian I would have beaten him to death with my own hands. Six months after Bill's death Australia went into a recession. The belt tightening our company instituted would have meant that Bill would no longer be getting paid hush money by the crooked manager in the form of overtime payment when he didn't work overtime. Bill was getting paid more than half as much again as I was, even though his base rate was just a dollar an hour more than mine. If he'd still been alive when the belt tightening happened, his behaviour towards me would have been so much worse that I wouldn't have been able to take it. I would have killed him. If you haven't been in a situation with someone truly evil for eight long unrelenting years you can't imagine the way I felt. I believe with all my heart that God made that massive heart attack happen to him to save me from having to go to prison for putting down a mad animal. Anyway, the priest at the funeral really tried to say nice things about Bill but you can imagine the eulogy was very short. What could he say about a man who made everyone's life the worse for knowing him? His own wife never even had any pictures of him in the house after he was gone!

Just like with Saul, God decided enough was enough. I prayed to God and asked my pastor if he could explain why Bill was taken before I'd been able to witness to him more. He said that "God's Spirit will not always strive with man." God knows who'll repent and who never will.

The Chronicler is more concerned with Saul's mistakes and their effect on his kingship. All through the books of Chronicles we read capsule synopses of a king's term in office.

We must remember that God put Saul in that position, knowing full well that Saul would fail. Is Saul in Heaven or hell? I'd like to think he's in Heaven, despite his mistakes in this life. He didn't ask to be king and didn't really deserve the fate he eventually got. God's long range plan was to show Israel that their king should not be the same kind of person who would be king in pagan countries. So He chose the tallest man in Israel, possibly the strongest physically . . . as other nations do . . . and proceeded to demonstrate the folly of that choice . . . at the cost of Saul's life. God had David in mind all along for the kingship. The choice of David's parents in the Biblical books immediately preceeding Samuel proves that.

I don't presume to know the mind of God, but I hope that He had mercy on Saul when he stood at the judgement place.

We learn, among other things, that God is not above using people to make other people prosper. I have a real problem with that.

We also learn just how gracious David could be when given the news of his implacable foe's demise.

It's not so much that David does not remember the negatives about Saul's actions, he does not attempt to persuade the people to have a different view of Saul. He decides to honor that God choose Saul, he honors Saul's position. he honors Saul's posterity, he honors Israel.

He does not rejoice over Saul's death nor does he desire the people in that day or the days to come to rejoice over God's appointed / anointed. David demonstrates Christ likeness, God's desire, not reviling against those who do so unto you, although Saul is not physically there he yet treats him as he would like to be treated. A powerful, powerful testimony of how David kept his heart free from bitterness, even though he was wronged.

How does 1 Chronicles 10:13-14 remember Saul's life?

2 Peter 1:20-21; 2 Timothy 3:16 The writer of 1 Chronicles had his own writing style, however he was inspired by God, he penned not of his own interpretation, nor was the prophecy (truth) origin of his own will.

He records that Saul transgressed against the Lord, he did not seek the Lord, that he sought another source and the consequences of his choice / actions.

God evaluates Saul's life according to what He inspired the writer of 1 Chronicles 10:13-14 to write.

From the perspective of David we learn that that the principles that Christ spoke in The Gospels are also demonstrated in the Old Testaments.

From the writer of 1 Chronicles 10:13-14, it is affirmed that although God is LOVE He desires obedience.

I agree with Pastor Ralph's lesson's for the entire lesson:

"In this lesson, we've seen God's hand at work in David's life. Some lessons for disciples include:

1. We must learn to strengthen ourselves in the Lord when our lives seem like they're falling apart. There are many examples of how to do this in David's Psalms.
  2. When we can, we should share the Lord's bounty with others, even with those who may not deserve it.
  3. We need to learn to die well so that our epitaph brings glory to the Lord, rather than disgrace."

David, even though Saul tried to kill him several times, wanted no one in that country to think anything bad about Saul, it is amazing to me how much DAVID LOVED SAUL DAVID WAS UPLIFTING HIS LIFE WHILE THE CHRONICLER WAS WROTE DOWN JUST THE OPPOSITE WHICH IS INSPIRED BY THE HOLY SPIRIRT THAT SAUL WAS EVIL AND WAS SEEKING ADVICE FROM SORCERERS. DAVID COULD NOT SEE SAUL'S HEART,BUT GOD DOES AND THAT IS HOW SAUL WILL BE JUDGED.

GOD BLESS : BROTHER MIKE

Q3. (2 Samuel 1:19-27; 1 Chronicles 10:13-14) David is gracious in his memorial psalm. How does he remember Saul's life? How does the Chronicler remember Saul's life? How do you think God evaluates Saul's life? What do we learn from this?

David remembers Saul as a mighty anointed king and mighty warrior.

I think God evaluates Saul's life as someone who had a good beginning but a bad ending, a failure.

The lesson to learn here is that it does not matter how good/ well we start but rather, how well we finish.

Q3. (2 Samuel 1:19-27; 1 Chronicles 10:13-14) David is gracious in his memorial psalm. How does he remember Saul’s life? David remember Saul as a great warrier and a person who cared for the women of Israel adorning them with fine clothing and gold.

How does the Chronicler remember Saul’s life? That Saul was unfaithful to the Lord.

How do you think God evaluates Saul’s life? Obviously God was sad the Saul became so unfaithful and followed his own way, but to say God evaluated Saul's life is like saying God weighs the good and the bad that a person does. We all "fall short." Praise Jesus He came to save us from our sins.

What do we learn from this? That God laments over people who have so much potential and are lost because of our own wills.

Having been with Saul in the palace and then fleeing from him. David did not use any negative language in the psalm, but gave him praise for taking care of the nation of Israel as king.

He wrote down the bad things that King Saul did and condemned him as unfaithful to God.

God does not look at the outward appearance nor the actions. God looks at the heart of Saul and saw the rebellion and unfaithfulness. God is just in His judgment.

There are several things that we learn from this section of scripture. As David gave testimony of King Saul and Jonathon, only the good things are mentioned. We are not to look at only the bad things a person does, but also make known all the good that person has done. We have to remember that God is the judge for all people, not us. We are to encourage and lift up other people that we are around.

David looks beyond Saul's dark and troubled side to Saul's greatness ad a king and warrior in Israel

The Chronicler's epitaph on Saul's life a d legacy speaks of the judgment of the Lord against him.

Saul's died because he was unfaithful to the Lord. So the Lord put him to death and turned the kingdom over to David son of Jesse.

It doesn't matter how you start your Christian life; Because God is merciful and gracious, and Jesus died for all our Sins, we are all forgiven. And it's how we finish our life that counts regarding our rewards.

(2 Samuel 1:19-27; 1 Chronicles 10:13-14) David is gracious in his memorial psalm. How does he remember Saul’s life?

v 19 The beauty of Israel he said How the mighty have fallen! he remember him as a shield for Israelites

Someone who never obey the Lord who rebel against the Lord who never repent even in the last day he rebel

He loved him v 14 of 1Chronicles God was still waiting for Saul to ask his guidance how the battle look like and for protection.

Saul strory is piercing me inside, I dont understand why REPENTANCE is so dificult while God is so merciful.

Q3. (2 Samuel 1:19-27; 1 Chronicles 10:13-14) David is gracious in his memorial psalm. How does he remember Saul’s life? How does the Chronicler remember Saul’s life? How do you think God evaluates Saul’s life? What do we learn from this?

David remember Saul as being God's anointed. In fact, in David's lament, as recorded in the Book of Jashar, he says, "How the mighty have fallen in battle! Jonathan lies slain on your heights"(2 Samuel 1:25) David considers Saul as a mighty warrior of God and "in life they were loved and gracious"(v.23).

However, the Chronicler sees things as they happened in Saul's life. God sees Saul just as he was---disobedient:

"Saul died because he was unfaithful to the Lord; he did not keep the word of the Lord and even consulted a medium for guidance, and did not inquire of the Lord"(1 Chronicles 10: 13-14a)

Essentially, the Lord put Saul to death.

David remembers Saul's liife and as he and all his men with him took hold of their clothes and tore them. They mourned and wept and fasted till evening for Saul. David wrote a Psalm in honor of Saul and detailed his life with words of praise.

The Chronicler remember Saul’s life by speaking of the judgment of the Lord against him.

I think God evaluates Saul’s life as a sinner deserving his mercy and grace.

From this we learn that even though someone may have been hand picked by God for an assignment, they could fall from the righteousness that they once held; but where sin abound grace much more abound.

David remembers Saul's liife and as he and all his men with him took hold of their clothes and tore them. They mourned and wept and fasted till evening for Saul. David wrote a Psalm in honor of Saul and detailed his life with words of praise.

The Chronicler remember Saul’s life by speaking of the judgment of the Lord against him.

I think God evaluates Saul’s life as a sinner deserving his mercy and grace.

From this we learn that even though someone may have been hand picked by God for an assignment, they could fall from the righteousness that they once held; but where sin abound grace much more abound.

Q3. (2 Samuel 1:19-27; 1 Chronicles 10:13-14)

David remembers Saul as a great annointed King of Israel.

The Chronicler remembers David as a person who has no faith in the Lord.

Of course it all depends what Saul did at the time of his death. Whether he repented and asked for forgiveness.

From this wwe learn to the need to continue believing in the Lord all the time, regardless the circumstances.

1 Chronicles 10:13-14) David is gracious in his memorial psalm. How does he remember Saul's life? David always spoke of Saul as God anointed, David respected and honor Saul as king. David stated; Saul and Jonathan were swifter than an eagle and stronger than a lion. At one point David probably really looked up to Saul because he was strong and skillful. David also tries to remind the people that Saul took care of Israel. David wanted them to remember the good and kind Saul they knew at first. In honor to Saul and Jonathan David asked the people not to talk about his death in the street, and to teach their children how to use a bow.

How does the Chronicler remember Saul's life? The writer felt Saul was unfaithful to God and did not keep the word of God which causes of end of his life. The author 1 Samuel talks about how the people of Israel wanted King (despite their rejection as God as their King) and God told Samuel to select to Saul. Saul was a tall attractive young man born from the tribe of Bengimins (men of power and strength). Saul is then anointed by Samuel and the Spirit of Lord was with him. The writer shows Saul was a great soldier and he and his men defeated many battles. He became very powerful and popular. However, Saul’s rebellious nature and disobedient that causes his own path to destruction. The writer tells us that the Spirit of God left Saul and an evil spirit had entered him.

What do we learn from this? I learn that we can be our own enemy and let our own stubbornness and/or disobedient be the downfall of blocking our blessings and possibly leading us into a path of destruction. Just as Saul did, Saul to me was his worst enemy. Saul let power and popularity get to his head and it eventually destroy him. How do you think God evaluates Saul's life? God oh God oh God he is such a merciful God he knew Saul's heart and the thing he was going to do, but just like you and me Saul had the choice to do right or wrong and a lot of what he did was wrong ones. God said that he was sorry he made Saul king and He allowed an evil spirit to enter Saul. There always will be consequences for your action bad or good. Was the death of Saul God’s consequence? Only God knows, God will decide Saul’s final judgment.

How does David remember Saul's life?

David remembers only the positive traits of Saul... He ignores anything negative, all the killing attempts of Saul against his life, all the persecution, all the plots to set traps agains his life, all the hatred Saul had against him. It is a remakable thing to realize how noble was the heart of David in spite of his imperfections as a mere person... He honors Saul as the anointed one, the one God had placed the call to be king over Israel and did not to take justice in his own hands to have him removed... David trusted God to vindicate his life and didn't keep bitterness in his heart against the one who wanted his destruction.

The Chronicler remembers the unfaithfulness of Saul, his disobedience to the Word of God and his rebellion as he resorted to witchcraft to get him out of trouble. No positive word is even spoken of Saul's reign over Israel.

I believe God feels so sorry that there was no repentance in Saul's life that could have turned things around and allowed him to have a better fate than the one he underwent which also caused the death of his sons (including Jonathan whom David loved so dearly). Basically, God knew the kind of man Saul was and a lot of what he did was no real surprise to Him...

That no matter what situations we are in, we should always honor God through our obedience and a heart that's bent to seek Him at all times. David had a love relationship with God, he was a worshiper at heart and that is the primary call of our hearts if we want to keep a tender heart toward God's perfect will for our lives. Understanding God's will is of utmost importance et leaving to God the privilege to vindicate us toward any person who may have ill intentions towards us (even those who are the closest to our lives). Being a person according to His own heart means also that we will honor those people who have been called of God to be all that He has them to be and who may not necessarily like us or have a positive perception of who we are. We are called not to have any guile in our mouth but to see to it that our hearts remain pure and without hatred, maliciousness or hardness toward those people who claim to want to do God's will but are bent to humiliate, ridicule or even persecute us.

As one who didn't follow God. God knows Saul's sins and refuses to follow him. Follow God and will receive eternal life.

David remembers Soul’s live as one that was lived graciously and that he was pleasing to those that he lead. David talked of him as a hero.

The Chronicler remembered Saul’s life as being unfaithful and was put to death for this unfaithfulness.

I don’t know how God evaluates Saul’s life. He used him as an example in the bible by having someone write about what he had done.

We learn that we should always be faithful to God for all things. We should not look to other idols or witch craft to make decisions for what we are about to do.