JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 3 months later...

I cannot hardly believe that David did not know how to transport the ark, maybe someone lost the poles that were used for handling the ark, or maybe their were not enough levites consecrated. I always wondered when they got the ark to the place where it was going to stay. How did they get it off the cart? Uzzah died for touching the Holy Ark. They had to have the poles somewhere. David was angry because Uzzah died for touching the ark, but he was mad because his celebration was a disaster.

David probably went immediately and found out how the Ark of the Covenant was to be handled, God was very serious about the place he came and dwell on the mercy seat. God Bless Brother Mike

Why does God strike Uzzah? Because of what Uzzah did because of what he did NOT know. Accountability enforced anyway.

Why is David so angry? He had heartfelt intentions, had garned a broad selection of people in honor of God; yet he was humiliated, disappointed, confused, and stunned.

Q1. (2 Samuel 6:1-10) Why does God strike Uzzah? Why is David so angry?

God stroked Uzzah because he touch the Ark of God though innocently in his attempt to stop it from falling.

David was angry with God for two reasons: a) He believed that his motive to bring the Ark to Jerusalem was good and thus God should not have been so hard in his judgment. B) He also felt that judgment in the public could have led the people to conclude that God was not working with him.

The Lord gave specific instructions on how the Ark was to be handled. They were ignored. I sort of think it was a natural reaction for Uzzah to reach out to steady the Ark. It is not good to trifle with God's instructions and Uzzah died.

The instructions were that only priests could touch the Ark.

Since anger is a secondary emotion I wonder what was the primary emotion to trigger the anger. I have wondered if it was fear of the Lord because it didn't seem fair to David that Uzzah died for trying to protect the Ark. I don't think he was angry because his celebration was ruined. I believe David was initially stunned and sad to see the death of Uzzah and confused and fearful.

This was not what he envisioned. How sad it is for us when we do not follow the Lord's instruction. We also pay consequences for our disobedience. Better to obey than regret forever.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

The Lord gave specific instructions on how the Ark was to be handled. They were ignored. I sort of think it was a natural reaction for Uzzah to reach out to steady the Ark. It is not good to trifle with God's instructions and Uzzah died.

The instructions were that only priests could touch the Ark.

Since anger is a secondary emotion I wonder what was the primary emotion to trigger the anger. I have wondered if it was fear of the Lord because it didn't seem fair to David that Uzzah died for trying to protect the Ark. I don't think he was angry because his celebration was ruined. I believe David was initially stunned and sad to see the death of Uzzah and confused and fearful.

This was not what he envisioned. How sad it is for us when we do not follow the Lord's instruction. We also pay consequences for our disobedience. Better to obey than regret forever.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

Q1. (2 Samuel 6:1-10)

Why does God strike Uzzah?

Why is David so angry?

The ark represented the presence of God who dwelled among His people. So it had to be handled with the utmost reverence, and in transporting it from place to place specific instructions were given (Num 4). It was to be carried by Levites who would bear it on their shoulders by means of poles. Even the Levites could not touch the ark or even look in it because of its holiness. These instructions were overlooked and the ark was transported on a cart, similar to the way the heathen Philistines had done. Therefore, when the oxen stumbled and Uzzah (not a Levite) instinctively touched the ark, this was an act of irreverence that cost him his life. There are no grey areas with God. It is either right or wrong, and the harshness of the Lord’s discipline must be seen in the light of His absolute holiness. This requires that sacred tasks be done in God’s way, if it is to have God’s blessing. I think David was more frightened (v9) than angry by what had happened. He must have wondered if Uzzah’s death might be a message to him indicating that he was not worthy of being in God’s presence, and that the same thing that happened to Uzzah might happen to him. In his confusion he decided to leave the ark at the house of Obed-Edom the Gittite. He wanted to test whether the presence of the ark was a blessing or a curse. So after 3 months when he saw how the Lord had blessed Obed-Edom and his household he knew there was more to be gained than feared from the presence of God in the ark.

Because Uzzah touched the Holy Ark. Although it was in attempt to prevent the ark from falling.

instructions are only priest could touch the ark.

The Lord's instruction for handling the ark was broken. Uzzah struck down for his disobedience to Lord's in touching the ark.

Q1. (2 Samuel 6:1-10)

God strikes Uzzah because of his disrespectful act: he touched the ark.

Why is David so angry?

David is so angry becuase of the death of Uzzah. He felt that, what he was doing was good but why the striking dead of Uzza! He also feels humiliated as the people see as if the relationship between him and the Lord to be questionable.

The Scriptures say that God struck him there for his irreverence, (his irreverent act, because of his error, his lack of respect), he touched the ark and he was not authorized to do so.

Truthfully I believe everything else is conjecture as we try to reason within our own understanding. The speculation may be true, it can be supported / substantiated and possibly even the truth, however the Scriptures answers the question within the verse (2 Samuel 6:7.)

I do not know if he was a Levite or if he wasn't a Kohathites. They were not to touch the ark, those who were authorized to carry it were to use poles and carry it upon their shoulders during transport. God warned of death if His instructions were not followed (Exodus 25:14-15; Numbers 3:30-31; 4:4-15; 7:9) regarding the holy things. I do not know Uzzah's heritage, his posterity, I don't know if he knew what was proper regarding carrying the ark. Even though Uzzah sinned in ignorance, even though his sin was rash and unintentional, I can say without a doubt that God is just. What I do know the from Scripture is that he was in error.

Pastor Ralph titled this section " Transporting the Ark Man's Way" an appropriate title. When Uzzah died, David became angry, he also became afraid. The guidance that the Lord gave was disregarded, just as Uzzah had good intention so did David and those who agreed it was good to return the ark. The unfortunate factor that they adopted the transportation procedure from the Philistines (1 Samuel 6:7-8) instead of adherence to what the Lord has said. They had abandoned the formal Levitical system that was explained in the Law. They were operating according to "Man's Way" suggesting that they were a form of religion, but not the design that God had given them.

Although this was tragic in eyes of David, other onlookers and perhaps even our, this tragedy rekindled a refocus and the rekindling of a necessary "fear of the Lord", not so much fear of being struck dead, but an adherence to His guidance.

Why is David so angry?

"because the LORD had made a breach upon Uzzah" (because the LORD had struck Uzzah so violently).

Through pure conjecture I believe that he was angry because he looked upon the matter from his perspective and not from God's. He reasoned after all that Uzzah did what he could, he was being helpful, he prevented the ark from harm.

I believe that he was angry because a man died as they were at peace, they were not at war, he felt his plan was good, a good thing.

I believe that he was angry because this death also stopped the celebratory procession.

Just as Pastor Ralph states the text does not say, I believe that we can only speculate. I can agree with the two thoughts he shared. David was confused, he felt that he was doing a good thing, the right thing. He was publicly humiliated and now his relationship with God was in question. The truth is that we can only speculate on this side of heaven.

Q1. (2 Samuel 6:1-10) Why does God strike Uzzah?

The ark represented the PRESENCE of the LORD of Host, the God of Israel, God Almighty, and the one true God who sits upon the throne.

God instructed the ark would have four rings and that the staves would be put into the rings by the sides of the ark, that the ark may be borne with them, therefore when the ark was to be moved it could be carried by four Levitical priest, men sanctified of God; for God is to be high and lifted up.

Uzzah did not follow God's command and have the Levites sanctify themselves, he did not display the respect God requires of the priesthood, he did not have the ark carried high and lifted up for all to see that the presence of God will be in Israel; instead he simply placed God's presence on a cart, to be drawn by an animal, an abomination unto God.

Uzzah walked by the ark that was placed on the cart just in case it should fall, as if the LORD of Hosts needs the protection of mankind.

Therefore it was because Uzzah, did not give the proper respect to God, and we see one disobedience, sin, leading to another, it is because of his total disrespect to the things of God that Uzzah had to reach out and touch the ark, that God did strike Uzzah.

Why is David so angry?

I DO NOT think David was angry at God because he did not understand the why of God's judgment, nor do I think David was angry because David was MISUNDERSTOOD.

I believe David was angry at himself, even though it was the responsibility of the priesthood to carry out the commands of God, David allowed Uzzah to do it his way.

David was angry at himself - because he did not first inquire of the LORD, David was angry at himself because it was under his kingship that this disrespect was given to the God he loves.

Q1. (2 Samuel 6:1-10) Why does God strike Uzzah?

The ark had been at Kiriath-jearim for nearly 100 years (I Sam 7:2) Through Samuel's entire judgeship, Saul's reign and well into David's reign) David neglected to seek the proper but long forgotten method for moving the ark (carried by poles upon the shoulders of priests), rather than on an ox cart like common baggage,( but which is the way it arrived there when the Philistines sent it away due to the tumors with which they were afflicted, because of its' presence in their country, probably without the poles!) When the oxen stumbled, Uzzah put out his hand and took hold of it.

The whole operation: Right motive, wrong method. (Interesting that Saul had no desire to return the Ark to Jerusalem)

Why is David so angry?

V 9 "David was afraid of the Lord that day", and his plan/desire was thwarted. His motive was pure, so he must have been bewildered by God's harsh correction. The King's word was law, so it must have been humiliating for him to have failed to seek the Lord in this huge event, and to have the celebration ruined. What a powerful lesson...kings and priests must follow the Lord's protocol, as well as the ordinary citizen!

Why does God strike Uzzah? When David went to get the ark from the house of Abinadab he did not find out the appropriate way to transport the ark of God which was consider holy and sacred and was only allow around the present of holy men. They were transporting the ark on a cart pulled by oxen and the oxen shook it (maybe because rough road or ride) which cause Uzzah to react and reach out to stabilized it from falling. Uzzah died after putting his hands on the ark. Why is David so angry? David was upset and surprised because he thought he was doing a good thing by recovering the ark and he was probably humiliated because of his plan and leadership was looking bad to the people, so David became of afraid of the Lord and what would happen with the ark in his presence.

Just as when the Jews were in Egypt for a long time, they now also lived without God for a long time. They have forgotten how to serve God, and didn't do their homework to investigate how to move the Arc. I think they might not have known that they were supposed to follow instructions. We saw regularly that David was obedient, so if he knewthere was a special instruction, he whould have folowed it

Why is David so angry?

He wanted to do good, yet they were punished. He was confused. Saul killed most of the priest, so most of the knowledge base was dead. We need advanced people to guide us through life.

David lived close to God, but he also needed teaching

God struck Uzzah because he had touched the holy Arc. He was not appointed by God to do that. He wasn't worthy. David had not inquired of the Lord as to how to transport the Arc.

David is angry because he thought he was doing a good thing. He thought that he was misunderstood and questioned God on Uzzah's death. David also was probably angry because he and his leadership skills were now questionable. He was trying to unite a nation and to put that nation under God's reign again. I'm sure he was embarrassed as well as questioning God as to why he was humiliated this way when all his intentions were good in his mind. But he overlooked God's holiness and need for holiness and didn't inquire on the "how to" of moving the Arc. God saw David's intention, but also saw lack of character in being completely obedient to God. He was teaching about holiness and in inquiring about everything before moving forward.

The Ark was being transported in the open. The Ark of the Covenant was to be covered and not seen. Uzzah thought that God could not take care of His Ark.

Why is David so angry?

David thought that that day was his day to glorify God and he did not want any interruptions. When God struck down Uzzah, the focus of the day was changed to that incident. David was very angry and probably felt ashamed when he was worshiping God and all attention was turned away from him.

Uzzah had made a breach of the holiness of God. God had set up the exact way they were to transport the ark, & he made an error that cost him his life.

David thought he was misunderstood & was humiliated. He had gathered everyone to joyfully bring back the ark--showing how much he loved God & wanted to glorify Him. I'm sure he was disappointed.

I think that God struck Uzzah because the ark was not being moved in the way that God wanted it to be. God needed to get his point across and since Uzzah touched the ark he was the one that caught the wrath of God.

David was so angry because he was moving the ark with the right intentions and had the right heart. David thought that he was doing the right thing.

Only God knows for sure why He strikes Uzzah. His motives are never to be brought into question.

That being said, It is my assumption and this is pure conjecture, that it is because the Ark has not been moved in the way God instructed. We are to listen to God's commands and obey them. Sometime we may be ignorant of His will concerning something, that is no excuse. In ALL things we must seek the will of our Father. In this case David was ignorant of the way God wanted His Ark moved, if he had consulted the Holy Spirit, or Holy Scripture, The Torah, he would have known the strict orders God laid out for moving the Ark.Chronicles 15:15 "And the children of the Levites bare the ark of God upon their shoulders with the staves thereon, as Moses commanded according to the word of the Lord There are other references in the Word as to the way the Ark should be handled . There are other references in the Word as to the way the Ark should be handled' . I'd say the instructions are pretty all conclusive, and made very clear by God how the Holiness of Holy, Consecrated Ark should be handled. David did not consult God which is not in true David character, as we previously see, David consulted God in all matters. Perhaps his judgement was so overshadowed by the joy ( of bringing the Ark home to the Israelites ) and his political ploy that he 'forgot' who was in command and forgot to consult the SOVEREIGN true KING of KINGS. As a result an innocent man dies because of David's ignorance. The oxen ( whom were transporting the Ark in ungodly way as the Philistines did, because of David's refusal, or in ignorance, doesn't matter why, to consult God.) stumbled. The word clearly state that is when Urrah touched the Ark. I believe it was a natural reflex and not a deliberate move on Urrah's part. God is just and we don't question His reason; I believed David learned a valuable lesson that day. Not to get so puffed up that you forget GOD REIGNS!

David is angry because he feels moving the Ark was done in GOOD Faith and he doesn't realize his mistake of not consulting God first. He also feels humiliated as King of Israel, his people look to him for guidance. 30,000 Israelites were at the festival, David feels they may lose heart in him. Possible and probably, and most importantly, David feels they may lose heart in God, perhaps they'll see God as an unjust God. I think part of his anger is caused by guilt. I think he is also fearful that God may deal with him, in the same manner he dealt with Urrah.

Only God knows for sure why He strikes Uzzah. His motives are never to be brought into question.

That being said, It is my assumption and this is pure conjecture, that it is because the Ark has not been moved in the way God instructed. We are to listen to God's commands and obey them. Sometime we may be ignorant of His will concerning something, that is no excuse. In ALL things we must seek the will of our Father. In this case David was ignorant of the way God wanted His Ark moved, if he had consulted the Holy Spirit, or Holy Scripture, The Torah, he would have known the strict orders God laid out for moving the Ark.Chronicles 15:15 "And the children of the Levites bare the ark of God upon their shoulders with the staves thereon, as Moses commanded according to the word of the Lord. There are other references in the Word as to the way the Ark should be handled .I'd say the instructions are pretty all conclusive, and made very clear by God how the Holiness of Holy, Consecrated Ark should be handled.

However, David did not consult God which is not in true David character, as we previously see, David consulted God in all matters. Perhaps his judgement was so overshadowed by the joy ( of bringing the Ark home to the Israelites ) and his political ploy that he 'forgot' who was in command and forgot to consult the SOVEREIGN true KING of KINGS. As a result an innocent man dies because of David's ignorance. The oxen

( whom were transporting the Ark in ungodly way as the Philistines did, because of David's refusal, or in ignorance, doesn't matter why, to consult God.) stumbled. The word clearly state that is when Urrah touched the Ark. I believe it was a natural reflex and not a deliberate move on Urrah's part. God is just and we don't question His reason; I believed David learned a valuable lesson that day. Not to get so puffed up that you forget GOD REIGNS!

David is angry because he feels moving the Ark was done in GOOD Faith and he doesn't realize his mistake of not consulting God first. He also feels humiliated as King of Israel, his people look to him for guidance. 30,000 Israelites were at the festival, David feels they may lose heart in him. Possible and probably, and most importantly, David feels they may lose heart in God, perhaps they'll see God as an unjust God. I think part of his anger is caused by guilt. I think he is also fearful that God may deal with him, in the same manner he dealt with Urrah.