JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Worshiping Freely

Q3. (2 Samuel 6:14, 22) How would you describe David’s approach to worship? What does his dancing here teach us? What do we learn about praise from the psalms he wrote? Does what others might think affect your ability to worship? How has God been working in your life to teach you to worship him in spirit and in truth?

• 3 months later...

How would you describe David's approach to worship? Heartfelt and unabashed!! No boundaries.

What does his dancing here teach us? God wants it all; what we feel He wants us to express.

What do we learn about praise from the psalms he wrote? It was and is all about God; no boundaries.

Does what others might think affect your ability to worship? No, the key is to go where God is God and not man's agenda.

How has God been working in your life to teach you to worship him in spirit and in truth? He just shows up in my life at every turn; His presence is never ignored or taken for granted. Discovery is the way and to do that, we must be in a perpetual mode of expectation and anticipation!!!

Q3. (2 Samuel 6:14, 22)

How would you describe David's approach to worship?

David's approach to worship is that focused to the Lord without caring of status.

What does his dancing here teach us?

His dancing teach us the way to praise the Lord from one's heart, without thinking what other people will think about you.

What do we learn about praise from the psalms he wrote?

From the psalms we learn to praise the Lord without any fear; keeping in mind that praise is for the lord and not the people around.

Does what others might think affect your ability to worship?

Not real.

How has God been working in your life to teach you to worship him in spirit and in truth?

By following his word and keeping in prayers.

How has God been working in your life to teach you to worship him in spirit and in truth?

I know David acted out of love for the Lord, but perhaps with actions that are a bit undignified for a king. We see his gratitude and love for God expressed in his dancing in psalm 30:11. He wrote: “You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy”. Having remembered his illness and God's healing, David rejoices in what the Lord has done. Other Psalmists have also expressed their praise with dancing. In Psalm 149:3, “Let them praise his name with dancing and make music to him with tambourine and harp”. And Psalm 150:4: “praise him with tambourine and dancing, praise him with the strings and flute,”. I think God likes us to worship Him with song and dance. When used properly our music and singing can bring praise to God. We should praise Him for what He has done for us, and for who He is. I think I will be classified as being one of “God’s frozen people”. I suppose it has something to do with my age and culture. To me it does matter what God thinks, and out of reverence for Him I prefer acting in a dignified way in both my actions and my dress code when worshipping Him. After all, we owe our Heavenly Father all our worship, adoration, and praise.

1 Praise the LORD. Praise God in his sanctuary; praise him in his mighty heavens.

2 Praise him for his acts of power; praise him for his surpassing greatness.

3 Praise him with the sounding of the trumpet, praise him with the harp and lyre,

4 praise him with tambourine and dancing, praise him with the strings and flute,

5 praise him with the clash of cymbals, praise him with resounding cymbals.

6 Let everything that has breath praise the LORD. Praise the LORD. Psalm 150:1-6 (NIV)

Q3. (2 Samuel 6:14, 22) How would you describe David's approach to worship?

I believe there is a difference between that of WORSHIP and that of PRAISE, and I believe David's approach is not that of formal worship, but that of "PRAISE" - 1Ch 16:4 and he appointed certain of the Levites to minister before the ark of the LORD, and to record, and to thank and "PRAISE" the LORD God of Israel.

The word PRAISE means to make a show, to boast, foolish, to celebrate, originally of sound and color., as we read David spoke with the Levites to appoint their brethren to be the singers accompanied by musical instruments by raising the voice with resounding JOY, a festival of PRAISE.

We see King David took off his kingly garments, and put on his GARMENT OF PRAISE, a robe and ephod of fine linen, representing that of a PRIEST, a SERVANT of the Most High God.

What it teaches me is - it is not about me, it is all about Him.

I am reminded of the Jewish wedding and the joy of the bride as she dances around the bridegroom 7 times, my heart is so looking forward to that day when I will dance around my bridegroom, for the JOY OF THE LORD so fills my heart with that of PRAISE.

I think I will ask David to show me some of his steps.

My soul, my soul does sing, praise to the LORD, praise the LORD, O my soul, while I live I will praise the LORD: I will sing praises unto my God while I have any being, Psa 146:1-2.

David is personally absorbed in joyful worship of God. He worships Him from the heart-arms, legs, and feet. David is dancing, and does't seem to care thatitmight seem undignifird. His focus is with God only. To him it matters greatly what God thinks of his worship.

He worship God from the heart. He will worship hin through dancing and singing; although it may seem undignified to others.

"The Lird does not look at the thingsman looks at: Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."(1 Samuel 16:7)

Often we are i hibited in our worship by worship by what others might think of us. We should focus on worship of GOD and not what others think.

We must worship God for everything He has given us. Reading the Bible teaches us the truth. The words of the bible is our instructions for obedience to God. The bible gives us the spirit which guides us to the truth.....GOD TRUTH!!!

Q3. (2 Samuel 6:14, 22) How would you describe David's approach to worship? What does his dancing here teach us? What do we learn about praise from the psalms he wrote? Does what others might think affect your ability to worship? How has God been working in your life to teach you to worship him in spirit and in truth?

David worshipped God freely by dancing with all his heart, strength and irrespective of what anyone felt.

We can dance, shout, jump in our worship of God or be silent/ still before him or do whatever that will bring glory to God as the spirit leads us.

Humanly speaking, there are times when my worship is either restricted/ limited by what others may think or exaggerated to impress others. This should not be so.

I pray the Holy Spirit will teach me to worship God in the power of the Spirit.

In this instance David did so through a dance, his approach was to do so with all his might. As he danced the Bible does not record the people in his presences were watching him accessing his dance. However it does record Michal watching him, as she did the Bible records that she despised him in her heart. When don't truly know the root cause, it could have been she held a different view of how royalty should conduct themselves. It could have been that she disliked David uprooting her from her husband. It could have been that David did not show her love. It could have been a combination of many factors.

After the ark was secured, after the festivities had cease, when he met Michal she through criticism voice her opinion, he retorts "And I will yet be more vile than thus, and will be base in mine own sight."

David was determined to praise the Lord before people and he reaffirmed praise Him even if it meant being humiliated in his own eyes or her eyes, yet he would be honored by the maidservant that his wife mention who would look at him in a different manner because of his dance. In essence David saw it as they would honor him, that if the king will dance that this unto the Lord then it is ok, a good thing to do so.

I do not see it so much as his dancing but more so the principle as to why David does dance. The focus should be on the Lord, if we are saying that our praise is unto Him, not looking to please people or being greatly concerned about what they think.

Not attempting to place restraints on anyone's praise be it a dance, shout, song, prayer etc, however flesh should not be a dominating factor, if a person does allow the flesh to lead and or over power the initial intent God is no longer being glorified. The individual is seeking to then glorify themselves while saying that they are praise the Lord.

Additionally praise or worship is should not only be considered when we assemble, the greatest praise and or worship, in my opinion is how you live. We need to bless the Lord as we live move and have our being. We need to acknowledge that He is worthy, Worth or worship everyday in our living!

So much we can praise Him in a song, in a shout, through clapping our hand, lifting our hands, in a dance through playing of instruments, etc.. that there is not one set way to praise the Lord, there is not a lock on doing so.

No!

That He is Lord, that I should exalt Him above all else. That praise, that worship is more than singing, a shout, clapping of hand, lifting of hands, dancing, playing instruments. That praise, that worship should not only occur during times when we assemble, within the four walls. That praise, that worship should occur as I live move and have my being.

His worship was complete and he was only focused on pleasing God, he didn't care about people, or his wife. He didnt care what other people thought.

We must focus on God only, we should not care about pleasing people, but we must live as we are guided bu the Spirit. In most cases we will consider other people as well, but when we praise God, we must give our all to God

He praises all the time, without preconditions. He just bubble overs.

Does what others might think affect your ability to worship? Only if you allow them to. You must have self confidence as a king and priest in Christ to serve God completely in all areas of your life. You must also be humble and not care what others think of you

In many areas, the most was to learn me not to follow my own ideas, but to wait for His will to be made known

Q3. (2 Samuel 6:14, 22) How would you describe David’s approach to worship? What does his dancing here teach us? What do we learn about praise from the psalms he wrote? Does what others might think affect your ability to worship? How has God been working in your life to teach you to worship him in spirit and in truth?

I would describe David's approach to worship as "abandon". He didn't care about anything at that moment but gave himself completely away to worshiping and thanking God.

His dancing indicates to me that he couldn't contain himself! He just gave over and every part of his body was given away to joy!

We learn from the Psalms that praise is joyful, full of thanksgiving and has many aspects to it. We learn to abandon ourselves before the throne and give totally of ourselves to praise for our wonderful God! (Yep! I'm a "holy roller!" Praise God!!!)

No, what others think does not affect my ability to worship. I am careful to not be "distracting" in worship. We aren't to do that. But really, in worship, I'm before the Throne....not watching or wondering what others are thinking. Usually, I get the opposite comments that I really show my love of God through worship and that by worshiping with abandonment it was an encouragement for those too timid up until then to do the same.

I think the best thing God has shown me to worship in Spirit and truth is:

1) Make sure the words I sing are in accordance with His truth and my countenance in it are honoring to Him.

2) To worship is not a Sunday morning song fest. I am to worship Him with my whole life, living the truth.

Q3. (2 Samuel 6:14, 22) How would you describe David’s approach to worship?

David's worship was a reflection of his great love, faith, and trust in the Lord. His spirit was free and unhindered because he had an authentic, gut level honest relationship with the Lord, and believed and understood that he was loved unconditionally by the Lord...he was truly a man after God's own heart.

We are to worship in freedom, rather than bondage or prescribed "proper", legalistic formula worship. We are free to "twirl" in joy if we want to!....don't we do all of the craziest things when our team wins? God loves celebration! I'm learning to cast off my "frozen chosen" background and to dance in His presence! (decently and in order with my clothes on!!! :)

We learn that praise comes from our heart...in the deepest part of our knowing God. If worship is stale and stifled, it reflects a stale and stifled relationship. David had no past "proper" training to restrict his worship....he expressed his love and joy through his body!

It used to totally shut me down. Having come out of teaching where you stood up straight with hands at the sides and sang perfectly in tune, and with a prescribed quote to share with the person next to you at greeting time, and in which they were to respond with the prescribed response. I no longer care what anyone thinks! (This is funny enough to share: one Sunday in a new church where I finally felt free to worship, the person with me, scolded me and said "what will people think of you, with eyes closed and hands raised, moving with the music???" I said ".How I worship is between the Lord and me, you don't get to dictate how I worship".....then the pastor began his message about the consequence to Michal for her ridicule of David's worship....barrenness!..I grinned and said silently "Thank you, Lord that you are pleased, whether anyone else is or not!"

As I've learned more about how much I'm loved and accepted, and have had some teaching about worship about which I was ignorant, and shed the dark cloak of guilt and mistrust which used to weigh me down, I'm honest and authentic with the Lord, and my worship reflects this. (I learned in Hebrews 2:11,12 For He (Jesus) says, "I will declare Your (the Father's) Name to My brethren; in the midst of the worshipping congregation, I will sing hymns of praise to You (the Father)" (also Ps. 22:22) Once I understood that Jesus worships His Father through my voice, I'm thrilled to let the Spirit praise Him through me! What a privilege!!! When I stood nearly mute all those years, I stifled Jesus' ability to praise His Father using my voice!

My life is one of worship.....I love to dance to worship music at home...to praise Him when rejoicing over the beauty He's created around me...every day!

david worship from the heart

it teaches that we can dance before the presence of God

praise is a thing from the heart and not mouth,the bible says people honour me with their lips but their heart is far from me

not at all, because it is a personal encounter

no matter the situation i found myself it doesn`t stop me from worshiping God

When David approached God, he worship him with all his heart.

David danced before the Lord and he was not ashamed of the people nor what they thought about him as a King dancing before the LORD.

His psalms helps us to praise the Lord in good times and bad times.

What other thinks do not affect my ability to worship. In the past I have not always raised my arms and give him the praises He deserves. I am over coming this and ask for your prayers.

God has talked me to constantly pray to Him giving Him thanks and praises and glory through our LORD JESUS CHRIST.

First, David was worshiping God, not people. Second, David was expressing what was in his heart toward God in David's way of praise. Third, David approach to worship with dancing was not the fully accepted way of worship in David's day, but we today take the approach that David did it, so can we. There is a great chasm between worship and *******. What is our motive in our dancing? Who are we dancing for? With our sexual revolution of today, we need to be careful.

There is no set way to worship God. But what we do in our everyday life is worship, because we are living for Jesus every moment. If we dance in the church building, we should dance outside the church building. We have the tendency to do different things in and out of our buildings.

David wrote the psalms when he was in a good mood and when he was in a bad mood. But David was able to praise God in good times and bad times. We can learn much from David's way of praising God in his writing of the psalms.

Yes, a little, because we are still human and want the acceptance of others. It shouldn't affect us, because it is between God and us.

How has God been working in your life to teach you to worship Him in spirit and truth?

I see more and more, the way many congregations are becoming mere social clubs, speaking about the issues of the day. True worship comes through me as my mind and spirit see the works of God about me and I can let out great praise to Him. I can raise my hands and say AMEN, but when it comes to dancing and speaking in tongues, I need to be careful that I don't go over the line into sin.

David's approach to worship was straight from the heart! He did what he felt like doing to bring praise & honor to God.

Dancing was another straight from the heart action. He didn't care what the people thought about what he was doing, but he did very much want to please God. His attitude is a good example for us!

Psalms are an honest praise to God. As in prayer, David tells God his troubles, fears, helplessness, but he almost always ends up praising God IN it!!

A little. I don't want to make others feel uncomfortable, so I usually tone it down.

God is teaching me by really having me look into my attitudes to see if they are worshipful.

I would describe David’s approach to worship is uninhibited. He knows the one and only God and he wanted to praise him and it didn’t matter what thought. The psalms that David wrote show his enthusiasm for the Lord. He would go to him no matter the situation.

You know in a way I think that what others think of me when I praise God does affect my ability to worship. I have changed recently but I am still inhibited. God is working with me and He is teaching me to worship Him in spirit and in truth.

David's approach to worship is spot on! Psalms 150 Praise the LORD! Praise God in his sanctuary; praise him in his mighty heavens! Praise him for his mighty deeds; praise him according to his excellent greatness! Praise him with trumpet sound; praise him with lute and harp! Praise him with tambourine and dance; praise him with strings and pipe! Praise him with sounding cymbals; praise him with loud clashing cymbals! Let everything that has breath praise the LORD! Praise the LORD!

Humility, reverence, commitment, thanksgiving, praise, excitement and wonderment, awe, worship with everything the Spirit has provided!Let him know He is our ALL in ALL! Think only of the One who stands high above all others.He is mighty and Sovereign. Praise and thanksgiving be to our God! God is a jealous God, He wants our full attention and praise!

I learn that God looks only at the heart that He desires our praise at all times.

No, I praise, and dance and lift hands to our Lord. I do not care what others look at, only that God hears and sees my humility, my praise, my prayer, and thanksgiving. I lift hands and dance to Him while in church and also at home,in the car. It is not uncommon to see me with my right hand raised to God in praise while driving, and listening to Christian music. Do I care who looks at me and thinks I'm crazy! NO!! What God looks at is what's important!

I have had several revelations in past months and feel I am growing through the teaching of the Holy Spirit. One revelation that came to me which particularly speaks of praise and worship and thanksgiving and teaching us how to love God is the first verse of John 1. It simply read like this:( but it's message to me, is very deep -rooted, profound and not simple at all)!

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. I have been shown that in the beginning does not only mean the beginning of creation. The Word is GOD. If we don't read and study our Bibles in a consistent, committed way we cannot discern the will of God. We simply cannot know Him if we don't stay focused on His word.. We must seek his word in all endeavors, including praise and WORSHIP. He will teach His desires, through KNOWING him.. IN the beginning, is the beginning of everything we do, read and seek God's word in all things.

David did not hold a praise back from God. He gave and wrote lots of psalms in adoration of Him. At an old church of mine, I was told that those who don't jump and shout as David done for the Lord, they we were considered dead spiritually and this is not right.

God has been showing me to praise Him with 100% focus on Him. Some think its in the clothes, the hair or the noise...just Worship.

With joy, praise, and worship. Dancing before the Lord is being faithful to the Lord and accepted in that day. We don't listen to others telling us how to worship we do what makes God happy.

He was a free spirit not ashamed to show his emotions.

The there is more than one way to worship God and our happyness and pleasure in serving and worshiping him should be demonstrated.

That it is expected that we demonstrate our praise to God by singing and dancing.

Yes it does, especially the group as a whole. I would be able to share my worship style, so to say, to an individual who knew me well. But, with the group as a whole I probably would have too many of their questions to answer or explain myself. Doesn't it say somewhere in the Bible that if something we do offends our brother then we should not do it. I take that as we should not do it in their presence but we can and should still do it. This would be one of those things.

Sometimes what I want to pray for I am unable to find the words to explain it without feeling selfish, greedy, self centered. So, I tell God that he knows my heart and I mention that persons name to him so he will know that he is still in my prayers.

Also, I like to envision God right next to me (which he is) and not far away or where ever Heaven is. In that way, everything is more personal for me. I am apt to confess my sins immediately or command myself to stop deceitful thought processes.

• 2 weeks later...

How would you describe David’s approach to worship?

1. David worshipped God thru praise and dance and didn't care what others thought.

2. David's dancing teaches us that we should show not be ashamed to show our emotions for the Lord. Worship from the heart whether it is dancing, claming hands, lifting of hands etc.

3. The Psalms are to be sung or read out loud.

4. Not at all!

5. I have been studying God's word more. I find myself yearning to get to church to hear a word from our Pastor and join in praise and worship with our choir.

• 2 weeks later...

David is personally absorbed in joyful worship. His worship is from that heart rather than just being ritualistic.

His dancing teaches us that he desires to worship with his entire being.

The Psalms David wrote teaches us the important of praise. :D

David’s approach to worship was to give everything in the act of worship. David danced with a passion before the Lord.

David's dancing teaches us to be free in our worship. As we worship God we should remember that we worship Him alone and we do so with all our heart.

The Psalms David wrote teaches us that our praise are to be spoken and sung out loud, it is to be experienced.

What others thing should not affect our ability to worship, though it sometimes does. We should always worship an audience of one.

It is my desire to worship God as He desires, in Spirit and in truth without fear of what man might say.

• 4 weeks later...

How would you describe David’s approach to worship?

a. David's approach to worship was joyful and came from his heart.

David removed his Kingly clothes and wore a linen ephod and danced

in joyful worship to God.He worships God with his whole body and

doesn't seem to care it might be undignified to a king from some people.

He was totally involved in his worship of God.

b. David gave his God his all in his worship. He didn't care what others

thought, he was praising his God.

c. Praise is for God, how we choose to praise him is not for other's to worry

about. I learned God wants my praise from the heart. As someone here said:

"We should praise His name with dancing, tambouriines and harps and with

strings and the flute. So the Psalms state to worship and praise God with

dancing and music.

d. I was in a Baptist Church, so it did affect my worship of the Lord. I am

trying to open up more in my worship and in life, with God's help.

e. God wants Praise from the "Heart." To do this we have to let go of the

worry of what others think. After all it IS God we are praising, not them.