JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. The Unconditional Covenant

• 3 months later...

What are the main promises of the Davidic Covenant? PEACE, POWER, & POPULARITY

Are these promises conditional or unconditional? ALWAYS

Why does conditionality make a difference? GOD NEVER ENDORSES PEOPLE WHO DO NOT KNOW HIM AND LIVE ACCORDING TO HIS WILL.

Which of these promises is most important to you as a Christian? IT WILL LIVE ON FOREVER!!

Q2. (2 Samuel 7:8-13) What are the main promises of the Davidic Covenant? Are these promises conditional or unconditional? Why does conditionality make a difference? Which of these promises is most important to you as a Christian?

1. A great name

2. Security within his territory

3. Peace

4.Establish his dynasty/ house where rulers come from his decendants

5. His son to build a house for God

6. An everlasting kingdom

I think the promises were not conditional as some of them were fulfilled despite David's short comings.

If the promises were made on constitutionalities, some might not have been fulfilled. But it was by grace alone God fulfilled the promises.

The most important one is the establishment of an everlasting kingdom through the Lord Jesus Christ and I am a part of the Kingdom of our Lord Jesus Christ.

What are the main promises of the Davidic Covenant?

A great name, peace, a great dynasty, his son to build a house for God and from his dynasty will come an everlasting kingdom

Are these promises conditional or unconditional?

Unconditional. David already prooved himself worthy, and he is part of God's will, God's plans.

Why does conditionality make a difference?

God will make His plans come through, no matter what men do. David's descendants surely messed up badly after he died, but God's plans still happend, because there was no conditions.

Which of these promises is most important to you as a Christian?

The everlasting Kingdom

Q2. (2 Samuel 7:8-13) What are the main promises of the Davidic Covenant?

1. God promised He would provide a safe dwelling place in the land Israel.

2. God promised He would make a house, a dynasty for David of long duration.

3. God promised He would establish a kingdom from a son of David.

4. God promised He would establish the throne of his kingdom forever, and that God would be their Father and that Israel would be God's son.

God's promises to Israel are NOT conditional, God's promises to Israel are true, and God will do what he says He will do.

Israel is God's firstborn, His son and I am reminded of His promises to Israel when they were back in Egypt;

Exo 4:22 and thou shalt say unto Pharaoh, Thus saith the LORD, Israel IS MY SON, even MY FIRSTBORN:

Exo 4:23 And I say unto thee, let my SON GO that he may serve me: and if thou refuse to let him go, behold, I will slay thy son, even thy firstborn.

The sad part was - sin got in the way disabling many Israelites from seeing all of God's promises being fulfilled, while Egypt saw all too well the God of Israel do what He said he would do.

There is a condition, a promise God gave to Israel, that IF he commits sin, God will chasten him with the rod of men and with the blows of the sons of men, however, God also promised that when he chastens them, God promised He will not take his mercy from Israel as when He took it from Saul when he was king.

A great name, a land for His people, peace

These are unconditional promises

These were given by God's grace. As in salvation, there is nothing we could do to earn it. It showed His great love for His people.

To me, as a Christian, was what was in store for David's descendants!! Jesus, salvation & eternal life!

Q2. (2 Samuel 7:8-13)

The main promises of the Davidic Covenant are:

1. A great name.

2. A secure homeland for his people.

3. Peace

4. A dynasty.

5. A son who will buid the Temple.

6. An everlasting Kingdom.

From the scriptures, there are no conditions attached to these promises; they are unconditional.

Conditionality makes a difference because it means that, before the promises are fulfilled, certain conditions should first be fulfilled. This can mean that, if a condition is not fulfilled the promised will also not be fulfilled.

To me as a Christian, the more important of these promises is an everlasting Kingdom.

• A great name
  • A secure homeland for his people
  • Peace

Unconditional

You might not fulfill what you ought to do and you will fail

Secure homeland

The main promises of Davidic covenant were:

-A dynasty, household, descendants of the house of David.

-A son will build the temple.

-An everlasting Kingdom.

These promises are unconditional, they will NEVER change.

Conditional makes a difference, because these promises could change (conditional is temporary).

The promise most important to me as a christian is:

-Everlasting, I will live in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ....for ever and ever!!!

Q2. (2 Samuel 7:8-13) What are the main promises of the Davidic Covenant? Are these promises conditional or unconditional? Why does conditionality make a difference? Which of these promises is most important to you as a Christian?

Main promises of the Davidic Covenant:

A great name

A secure homeland for his people

Peace

A dynasty

A son who will build the temple

An everlasting Kingdom

These promises are unconditional

If they had been conditional, then David or his descendants would have been required to meet a demand to have the blessings bestowed, but these promises are are free gift and a promise to them with no conditions attached.

The most important of these promises to me as a Christian are the promise of an everlasting Kingdom. This is a free gift to me through Jesus Christ. I did not have to do anything to receive this. I only had to accept Christ's free gift of dying on the cross to cover my sins and I receive this everlasting Kingdom not because of any conditions I met, but through Jesus who became the atoning sacrifice for my sins. Thank you Lord Jesus.

God promised to make David's name great.

God promised to make Israel secure.

God promised to give Israel peace.

God promised to establish a dynasty for David descendants.

God promised that David's son would be king and build His temple.

God promised that David's house, his throne of power, would endure forever.

They're unconditional. God did say, however, that there would come times of punishment when the kings disobeyed Him. They wouldn't be removed from power though and David's line would continue.

If the covenant was conditional it would be incumbent on David and his heirs to uphold their end of the deal. But this was no "deal". God was establishing His kingdom starting right then with David. This was too important to God for Him to attatch strings to it. Given Israel's poor track record with obedience to God's laws and commandments, God knew they would fail the test if He made His covenant conditional on their and their king's obedience. This is like the Abrahamic covenant in a way. God chose Abraham and made him promises that were not dependent on Abraham's involvement.

We need to understand that God has foreknowledge of everything that will occur. He knew His creation would be flawed by sin almost as soon as He'd finished creating it. He knew when He made Lucifer that he'd rebel. And yet He went ahead with everything anyway. He also had a long range plan to make everything right again and that making it right would take many centuries as we reckon time. Jesus' time on earth was planned down to the second. Israel's and Judah's failure to live up to their potential as God's people was also in the overall plan. Otherwise Jesus may not have needed to come. This is heavy stuff. God's ultimate plan is for His holiness to be universally recognized. He could wave His hand and make things perfect, but that wouldn't bring Him the glory He must have. God desires worship and in the fullness of time everyone and everything WILL worship Him. He has chosen to work through mortal men. Why that is the case we don't really know. But it is through mortal ordinary men that God will bring His plans to fruition.

The most important descendant of David is Jesus Christ. So I think the promise that David's house would continue forever and that Jesus is the fulfillment of that promise makes it the most important promise for me.

God reaffirms the promise of the land that He made in the first two covenants with Israel (the Abrahamic and Mosaic Covenants).

God promises that David’s descendant or “seed” will succeed him as king of Israel and that David’s throne will be established forever.

A great name

Security within his territory

Peace

Establish his dynasty/ house where rulers come from his descendants

His son to build a house for God

An everlasting kingdom

THESE promises: these promises are unconditional.

The Davidic Covenant is unconditional because God does not place any conditions of obedience upon its fulfillment. The surety of the promises made rests solely on God’s faithfulness and does not depend at all on David or Israel’s obedience.

Conditional makes a difference because there are things that must be done in order for the promise to be fulfilled. Conditionality mean that it is based upon something that believer must do. Most of these promises begin with the word "if." God promises to do something IF man does something. God will do His part if man does his part. For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you Matthew 6:14

Unconditional means that it's all on God, Genesis 9:8-11. God says that He will never again destroy the whole earth by means of a world-wide flood in the manner as was done Genesis 6-8.

The one that directly applies to not only myself but to those who believe that He is Lord.

There are three promises to the Davidic covenant 1) a name 2) a secure homeland that will be yours this was an unreal event (1948 the nation of Israel was formed) . 3) peace.

THESE PROMISES ARE UNCONDITIONAL

If a condition was tied to the promise, then someone could stop the promise from being real and have a place in history, what a God, we serve. I feel His presence as I type these words, I have realized something so real in my life. When you start to talk about the Lord Jesus Christ, He always seems to show up. PRAISE GOD.

Maranatha Brother Mike

A dynasty, household, descendant of the house of David

A son will built the temple

An everlasting kingdom

These promises are unconditional , they will never change

Conditional makes a difference, because these promises could change meaning can change at any moment and not last long

The promise most important is everlasting which I will live in the presence of the Lord forever and ever.

1. I will make you a great name, like that of the great men of the earth.

2. I will appoint a place for My people Israel and will plant them and free them from affliction from wicked men.

3. I will cause you to rest from all your enemies.

4. I will make for you a house: I will establish the kingdom of one of your future offspring, and he shall build a house for me.

5. I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever.

They are unconditional.

The difference is that they may or may not happen, depending on the performance of the recipient.

The one which is so precious to me is the everlasting Kingdom....where the King of all Eternity will reign, and the place reserved for me there with Him.... a permanent home with my Lord.

The promises God had made were that David’s name would be great; he would have a secure homeland for his people; and there would be peace. The other promises made by God are that David would have a son (Solomon) who would build the Temple, and that this son’s throne would be established forever. In other words the reign of our Messiah would go on forever. These promises are unconditional in that they are binding promises made by God to David and ultimately to us as believers. This conditionality makes a big difference in that all David had to do was trust God and accept these promise in good faith. As a Christian believer in today’s world, I find comfort in knowing that all of this is fulfilled in Jesus Christ, the Son of David and will be manifested when He returns, establishes the promised kingdom, and sits on David's throne. David would have a house forever, a kingdom forever, and a throne forever, and would glorify God's name forever. So we see these same spiritual blessings God offered to David are offered today in Jesus Christ to all who will trust Him. This we read in Acts 13:32-39, “We tell you the good news: What God promised our fathers he has fulfilled for us, their children, by raising up Jesus. As it is written in the second Psalm: "'You are my Son; today I have become your Father'. The fact that God raised him from the dead, never to decay, is stated in these words: "'I will give you the holy and sure blessings promised to David.' So it is stated elsewhere: "'You will not let your Holy One see decay.' "For when David had served God's purpose in his own generation, he fell asleep; he was buried with his fathers and his body decayed. But the one whom God raised from the dead did not see decay. "Therefore, my brothers, I want you to know that through Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you. Through him everyone who believes is justified from everything you could not be justified from by the law of Moses.

What are the main promises of the Davidic covenant?

1. God told David - I will make your name great.

2. God will provide a homeland for His people Israel.

3. God said that - I will give you rest from your enemies.

4. God said that He would establish a descendant from David's family on the throne of Israel.

5. God told David that one of his son's would build a temple for God.

6. God would establish David's descendant upon his throne forever.

These promises that God had given to David are unconditional.

When a promise is made upon certain conditions, the promise is not always given or becomes a reality.

Which of these promises are most important to you as a Christian?

The last one which speaks about David's Kingdom will last forever. It is through David's Kingship that Jesus Christ has come to be our Redeemer.

Gid is sovergn all powerful omnipresent and omnipowerful. Conditional. Conditional because if God ain't the head then it won't work

- David-a great name. ( a name remembered forever and ever) Matthew 1-1 The book of the genealogy of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham.

- a secure homeland for Gods chosen people.( refuge for those who seek the name of Jesus Christ).

- peace-rest from war and enemies. ( protection from the evil one).

- a dynasty for all descendents of God's chosen ( eternal life through Jesus Christ).

- a son will build the temple ( Jesus Christ everlasting temple of salvation).

- A EVERLASTING KINGDOM ( through the son of David - Jesus Christ -God's son, eternal salvation.).

Unlike the Mosaic covenant, the Abraham and Davidic covenants are completely unconditional.

God looks at the condition of the heart heart not the condition of the "law".

All of them, God gave all these promises to David. When God makes a covenant, the whole of the covenant is important. You can not have part of the promise or chose part of the promise without relying on the whole promise. Each is an integral part of the fulfillment of the covenant. The coming of our Savior and Redeemer, Jesus Christ. His promise of salvation and eternal life rest on the whole of this covenant.. A son will be born!!

God's people will have their own peace and live in peace. God will establish David's house through His son and it will last forever...unconditioanl promises. God expects nothing in return for this promise to the generations. If He did, His love would not be unconditional love. That I'm included in the Kingdom that God promised to David because of Jesus is most important to me as a Christian.

Many promises were made to David by the Lord. Here are a few...

a. His name will be great.

b. His people, Israel will have a place

c. Wicked people will no longer oppress them.

d. God will give him rest from his enemies.

e. The Lord will establish his place.

F. God will be their father...(2Samuel 7)

These promises can be seen as both conditional and unconditional. God has seen David's trust in him however, David must continue to honor the Lord. As a Christian, the most important promise to me is when the Lord says he will give us rest from our enemies. I love that one.

• 2 weeks later...

• God will make David's name great.

• God will provide a home for Israel that is their own.

• God will provide David rest from his enemies.

• David's descendents will be a dynasty.

• God will provide David a son who will build the temple.

• David's kingdom will last forever.

They are unconditional. The promises of the Davidic Covenant was going to happen even if the Israelites disappointed God.

Because the covenant can always be broken if one side does not keep their agreement.

The last one – David's kingdom will last forever. Heaven bound.
http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1188

The main promises of the Davidic Covenant are 1) a great name 2) a homeland for the Jewish people 3) peace 4)a dynasty 5) a son who will build the temple 6) an everlasting kingdom.

These promises are unconditional. this means that God will always keep His part of the Covenant no matter what.

the promise most important to me as a Christian is, an everlasting kingdom.

The main promises of the Davidic Covenant are:

1. A great name

2. A secure homeland for his people

3. Peace (rest from his enemies)

4. A Dynasty

5. A Son Who Will Build the Temple

6. An Everlasting Kingdom

Unlike some of the othe covenants, these promises are unconditional they are God's will for David, his descendants and the Israelites.

Conditionality makes a difference because the promises depends upon compliance to something.

The promise that is most important to me as a Christian is knowing that I am a citizen of an Everlasting Kingdom.