JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 3 months later...

(2Samuel 13: 21-22) Why do you think David does'nt discipline his son Amnon for his sexual assault on his half-sister?

David seems to remember exactly what the Lord said to him in 2Sam 12 v 11: God said out of your own household I am going to bring calamity upon you.

What are the consequencies of David's inaction?

Irresponsible leader.

Why do you think David doesn't discipline his son Amnon for his sexual assault on his half-sister? EMBARRASSED, GUILTY OF HIS OWN SEXUAL SINS, NO EMPATHY FOR WOMEN, AND JUST PLAIN WEAK WHEN IT COMES TO HIS FAMILY

What are the consequences of David's inaction? A SHAMED DAUGHTER WHO COULD ONLY LOSE FAITH IN HER FATHER AND A PROVOKED SCHEMING SON.

Why do you think David doesn’t discipline his son Amnon for his sexual assault on his half-sister?

We already saw David didn't take action against a murder before. He is weak when it comes to discipline when it comes to people close to him.

He himself was willing to murder a man for his own desires. David clearly didn't have a high opinion for justice when it was not himself who was offended.

David was protecting his son with all he could. Sometimes we all make redicilous desisions when we really want something. David was taking personnal desisions here, he didn't seek God's will.

What are the consequences of David’s inaction?

2Sam 12 v 11: God said that out of his own household God will bring calamity upon him.

If David acted in God's will he would have enforced discipline, but now since he didn't acted Biblical his family was falling apart. His children were hating one another.

David still wanted his 1st born son to follow him on the throne, but his family was now competing against one another. Because he was not taking action, accepting the authority God gave all fathers.

Since there was no authority in the family, lawlessness took over.

David now had a family out of control because there was no respect for law and authority in his house.

When he lost focus on God after he became king (having afairs, murdering ect) he also stopped asking God's will. This was part of his sanctification. God was using his family to bring him back to God.

Q1. (2 Samuel 13:21-22) Why do you think David doesn't discipline his son Amnon for his sexual assault on his half-sister?

Perhaps David's heart understood there would have been much bigger problems and pain for the daughter if this was brought out in the open?

Perhaps David remembered what God said, because of his great "SIN", bloodshed would follow David, David's family would bring adversity against him, David's wives would be taken by another, so all in all he may not have wanted to make it worse for his daughter and for the nation by publicly bringing punishment, publicly bringing shame to his daughter and to his son?

Perhaps the reason David did not publicly discipline his son may have been because he believed this was the judgment of God upon his family, therefore David found himself in a "WEAKENED" state, he would have to wait on the LORD to discipline Amnon, to make His judgment call on his son.

We could go on with many more "PERHAPS" but, perhaps we just do not know the reason why.

What are the consequences of David's inaction?

I do not believe the consequences of this "SIN" was because David did not publicly discipline his son, I believe the consequences was due to the "SIN" of Amnon, your sins will find you out.

David cannot punish his son for the sexual assault, because of his own sins. His sins are following him to his grave and the sword will always be in Davids house.

David 's consequences are going to follow him and he will be in constant turmoil, because he knew his pass sins was causing all the problems.

(2 Samuel 13:21-22) Why do you think David doesn't discipline his son Amnon for his sexual assault on his half-sister? What are the consequences of David's inaction?

David favoured Amnon because he was the first born. Amnon was also heir to the throne - it could be that because he favoured Amnon so much he did not want Amnon to lose his throne. Also, David was perhaps guilt ridden over his own sexual sin and did not want his own son to point fingers back at him. He must have realised that he himself brought this grave sin into his household because of what he had done in the past.

The consequences of David's inaction is :

1) Tamar went from being a beautiful princess to a very dejected woman - losing all hope. Still young in years but old and shattered in spirit.

2) Amnon must have felt very protected because even though his father knew of his son, he was not punished in anyway.

3) Absolom became a very angry man

4) Friction and diunity between siblings.

Q1. (2 Samuel 13:21-22) Why do you think David doesn't discipline his son Amnon for his sexual assault on his half-sister? What are the consequences of David's inaction?

Indulgent with his kids, too busy to spend time with them as they were growing up so maybe he felt the fault was his and also he did the same thing. I wonder if he didn't just think how can I make this problem go away. You know, sweep it under the carpet. After all there is a certain pain in punishing your own. Maybe if I just ignore it, it will be forgotten. The cancer of sin spreads. Absolam takes matters into his own hands. Tamar never got justice and led a life punished for the sin of her half brother. It is a tragedy that offers no hope or redemption. It is depressing!!

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

This part of David's life, to me, is a representation of a "compare and contrast" narrative that God uses to show us some differences that are manifest in looking closely at the entire life of a person, in this case, David.

Front half of David's life: Anointed of God, called and chosen, fervent and valiant warrior, his heart completely laid out before God, and also before the community of Israel. David is known as an Integrity-laden man of action who is led by God---David is mighty and certain to apply righteousness and goodness....in a word, Powerful and victorious, without question, without delay, without doubt.

Last half of David's life: Somehow inert and motionless. A Mighty man and victorious warrior who led the nation of Israel into continual victory, now incapable of family decision-making that seems patently obvious to even the untrained Bible-reader. Without motion, without authority or power in his family. Big difference. Next, he is fleeing for his life from his son, when previously, he did not flinch before a giant.

For me there are two great themes at play here:

One: It is God's insistent Truth that there is no human being wothy of our worship. The truth of David's family failures helps me to keep Jesus on the Throne, and it also helps me to move through my own failures without condemnation. When I realize that a wonderful, God-chosen man like David can have deep flaws and failures in his human life, I am encouraged by this God Who loves so much. I am reminded that He has no favorites, and that His love is for us...and will empower us when we seek Him.

Two: There is a theme of brothers and 'next generation' failure throughout the Bible.

We see it first in the Garden of Eden. One son murders, one son murdered.

Abraham's two sons, Ishmael and Isaac; one of bondage, one of freedom--- at odds with one another,

Isaac has Jacob and Esau; Jacob flees and Esau rages...the thread of failure continues and is extensively displayed in David's life. Why?

Where do we fail to teach and train our "sons"? It is obviously not enough to have a Godly lineage. What I notice as blantantly absent is the narration of the interaction of a father involved with the spiritual lives of his sons. David should be the man who knows how to show his sons about spending time in the Presence of the Lord, having lived his young life as a shepherd, dangerously exposed and alone, yet in joy and peace, singing to the Lord, his protector. Where is the testimony of David to his own children?? My prayer: May Jesus Christ Himself reveal to each of us His Truth.

Why do you think David doesn't discipline his son Amnon for his sexual assault on his half-sister?

I'm glad the question is phrased as "why do you think?" I do not think we will know on this side of heaven, and when we get on the other side I'm not sure this will be the focus of discussion. David perhaps did as a of family members do in our day, he bestowed more compassion on those closer to him. I have seem parents sometimes almost ignore their child's intolerant behavior where as an onlooker (arm chair quarterback) presents many actions they would take and also what they would not tolerate.

More than likely he was in disbelief initially, then embarrassed, then uncertain of what action to take next. As he dwelled in the valley of indecisiveness he did not seek the counsel of the Lord. As he did not seek the Lord counsel the spirit of the air grew prevalent among his family and perhaps those who were aware of the horrid occurrence.

David's failure to do anything lead to having a greater influence than righteousness. Not only did sin have a greater influence, it also had a great effect on those immediately associated with the tragic event and a damaging affect on those that knew about it.

Lives were destroyed physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually. Tamar died even though she lived; Amnon died never live as he could; Absolom lived to die, David suffered, those who knew of the rape also suffered consequences in one manner or another.

God was not glorified!

David has lost moral authority. It was a flaw in his personality. He probably felt he couldn't condemn Amnon because he would have to condemn himself. Sometimes we don't see those flaws in ourselves until something comes up & it is revealed.

Lack of discipline, as with Jacob's sons, led to the sons taking it upon themselves to right the wrong. In this case, it lead to Amnon's death.

Q1. (2 Samuel 13:21-22) Why do you think David doesn’t discipline his son Amnon for his sexual assault on his half-sister?

David has no high moral ground on which to stand. He himself had earlier committed adultery and covered it up with murder. He also, no doubt, still has Nathan's prophecy ringing in his ears. In addition, Amnon was the heir to the throne. David probably didn't want or need the negative reaction from the people that removing Amnon from the line of succession, or any other punishment, would bring.

David's inaction has sent a strong message to his family that he will tolerate pretty much anything they do no matter how heinous, despite his personal anger. If David had dealt severely with Amnon, I'd be willing to bet Absolom would have pulled his head in and not rebelled.

This may have been because Amnon was David's firstborn and was expected to succeed him on the throne.

Perhaps his own guilt over Bethsheba had undercut his sense of moral authority

This shows that he is weak when it comes to disciplining his family members.

Q1. (2 Samuel 13:21-22)

Why do you think David doesn't discipline his son Amnon for his sexual assault on his half-sister?

It would be difficult for David to discipline and punish Amnon for a sexual sin which he himself is guilty of. So he does nothing about it; instead his response should have been immediate. This inaction was to have dire consequences – leading ultimately to the death of two of his sons.

Q1. (2 Samuel 13:21-22) Why do you think David doesn’t discipline his son Amnon for his sexual assault on his half-sister? What are the consequences of David’s inaction?

Based on my own thoughts, I tend to think that David probably had guilty feelings about his own sin with Bathsheba and though he was angry that Amnon had engaged in the same behavior, he did not feel qualified to condemn him for it. Amnon was also his firstborn and heir to the throne by Jewish law. David probably felt a heaviness to protect his family's reputation and the throne. (Note: In the end all for naught)

Also, women were not considered as important or equal to men in those times, so consequences in Tamar life would not have been considered in the same way. David obviously had a lack of character in this even for his own daughter and he paid dearly in consequences.

The family may have had a cover-up for the moment, but unrepentant sin has a way of growing. Absalom nursed hatred for his brother because of the crime against his sister until the day he murdered him. David's relationship with Absalom failed completely even to becoming serious enemies. David did wrong in not addressing this crime against Tamar and true to the curse spoken over him, family problems were birthed. If David had handled it properly....could it have gone better for him? We don't know. He chose to ignore Amnon's sin. The saddest part though, is Tamar, who was an innocent victim and who was forced to carry the burden of Amnon's sin and David's rejection as a father to protect her or defend her character. Her life was shattered.

Q1. (2 Samuel 13:21-22) Why do you think David doesn’t discipline his son Amnon for his sexual assault on his half-sister?

I think it was that he may have thought "I have sexual sin involving adultery with Bathsheba, and the assigned murder of her husband Uriah.....how can I speak into my sons life? Who am I to discipline a son after what I've done, which is far worse!

David knew he was forgiven, but doubtful that he had forgotten....perhaps he wanted to ignore it rather than have his past thrown in his face. So guilt may have also been a factor.

More heartache in the family.....Absalom murdered Amnon who had raped Tamar, and she was left disgraced and broken hearted, unavenged, and now no longer a virgin, unsuitable for marriage. She was left alone in her anguish and betrayal and probably spinsterhood. Absalom was not disciplined, other than being ostracized , and he then humiliated David by lying with his wives/concubines on the roof where it was visible to the kingdom. He then tried to take over the throne....so rather than being swept under the rug by ignoring the rape, it festered into a full blown coup, and Absalom's death as well.

Q1. (2 Samuel 13:21-22) Why do you think David doesn't discipline his son Amnon for his sexual assault on his half-sister? What are the consequences of David's inaction?

The major reason why David did not discipline his son Amnon to my mind was because of his weakness which was first seen when he failed to discipline Joab for murder. Another reason David did not discipline his son could have been due to the fact he had committed adultery with Bathsheba and thus did not have the moral right or courage to discipline his son for any sexual offence.

The consequences of David's action were the loss of integrity.

David's moral character is suffering, to extent that he does not want to discipline or reprimand his adult children. Perhaps due to his own moral decay and his sin with Bathsheba, and senseless murder of Uriah.GUILT. He knows what Amnon did is horribly wrong and he chooses to look the other way. He is becoming jaded by his stature as king and the riches which come with the position. He has been king for a long time at this point, he is becoming remiss in his duties to both family and Israel. He is resting on his laurels!! David's success was first, and most importantly, a result of God's blessing. God had blessed him and sculpted him into diligent leader, a force to be reckoned with!! Now, David is stagnating. David is suffering a sort of disillusionment and possibly disappointment in his life to both God and his people. He is no longer fervent for the Lord's blessing nor does he seem to care about much of anything. As David aged, I believe he lost his perspective, his priorities changed. We oftentimes do the same, we become "comfortable" later in life, especially if we are accustomed, as David was, to the finer, material riches of this world! Or, we go in the opposite direction, become jaded, bitter, if all does not pan out for us, the way we think it should. I think David suffered from a myriad of emotions (instead of relying on God and his faith) he was relying on emotion. He felt entitlement ( he was 'spoiled' and comfortable and perhaps took it for granted) , disillusionment,disappointment,guilt, shame, failure, etc. etc.

Also, David does not want the future King ( Amnon -who is firstborn and successor to David's throne) to be looked down upon by his people for doing such a thing. He does not want to expose his own son's heinous act to the people of Israel. Perhaps, for fear that it will be a bad reflection of himself, but I think more likely it is to protect Amnon from disgrace and disfavor with the people. Unbeknownst to David, people are 'gossiping' anyway, in true 'people' fashion ( human condition). Because David is remiss, he MISSES a lot of what's going on around him and certainly in his kingdom. Most importantly he is missing out on God's favor. God loves David dearly, however, in the end of David's life, I think he dies with a feeling of complete and utter failure to his most beloved God. It is a sad story all the way around. The glory, the REDEMPTION of Davids' life and story (and OURS) is through The Davidac covenant. JESUS Christ is born! REDEMPTION!! God always has a plan.

Dire consequences!!! Consequences which affect many innocent people and further generations from the house of David. We do not know what 'could' have happen if David had not become so languid, but we do know by his inaction, that further heinous crimes take place, including murder of his own son, Amnon. Loss of Absalom who is in exile out of fear. Coup De Tat takes place at the hands of Absalom. David is further estranged from his son. Consequently David own son becomes his enemy and Absalom is also killed. The list of the consequences of David's inaction ( in this situation and other situation which he encountered during his life time) goes on and on, and spawns for centuries. generation, after generation.

Proverbs 13:24 “Whoever spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is diligent to discipline him.”

Proverbs 23:13 Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you punish him with the rod, he will not die.

Proverbs 18:19 One who is slack in his work is brother to one who destroys.

I think that the reason that David doesn’t discipline his son Amnon for his sexual assault on his half-sister is because he was guilty of that kind of sin and it is hard to tell somebody else not to do something that you have done yourself.

The consequences of David’s inaction are that things are going to get worst. If you don’t correct the problem when it happens then it keeps getting worse.

David does not discipline his son Amnon for his sexual assualt on his half sister because David was also guilty of the sexual sins and maybe because Amnon was the first son and heir to the throne.

The consequences of David's inaction are cllear indcation of failure to justily execise authority and also as a person loss of the moral character and love to God as he used to be.

Q1. (2 Samuel 13:21-22) Why do you think David doesn’t discipline his son Amnon for his sexual assault on his half-sister? What are the consequences of David’s inaction?

David doesn't discipline his son for many reasons- namely, that Amnon is his first son and also David probably feels as if he shouldn't pass judgement(remember Bathsheba?) but he did get angry. However, because David did not punish Amnon, Absalom steps in with his own ideas.

After loosing his son from Bathsheba, I'm sure he has a more tender heart when it would come to his children suffering. The text refers to David being hesitant to discipline Amnon because of his sexual sin with Bathsheba. But, if this is the case I believe David is thinking wrong. David confessed his sin to God and asked for foregiveness and he was also punished for this sin, him and his household.

Looking at the chronology of David, Amnon did rape Tamar 2-3 years after David had committed adultry with Bathsheba (and had her husband killed), so maybe he was thinking that this was his punishment and he had to take it.

It still stuns me how women were and are treated. Tamar was the king's daughter and they just blow this off as “Oh well”. Think how much worse a girl would have been treated if she did not come from royalty. They would probably kill her just to get rid of the reminder of what happened.

He lost the moral leadership of his family. When parents lose the moral leadership of their families, their children have neither a consistent role model nor an authority figure by which to guide their own actions.

Why do you think David doesn’t discipline his son Amnon for his sexual assault on his half-sister?

1. It is stated that Amnon was his 1st born in which he favored. Also, because David had sexual sinned himself he would be judging himself as well.

2. David's inaction shows lack of leadership and his son Absalom hatred for his brother Amon, which resulted in Absalom killing Amon.