JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 3 months later...

Q2. (2 Samuel 13:39-14:24) Why do you think Joab conspires to get David to bring Absalom home? Why do you think David does not immediately show Absalom his favor?

To stop the fighting and to prevent his son's blood adding to the destruction, so that my son will not be destroyed. “Let my lord the king pardon me and my family, and let the king and his throne be without guilt.”

The king replied, “If anyone says anything to you, bring them to me, and they will not bother you again.”

She said, “Then let the king invoke the Lord his God to prevent the avenger of blood from adding to the destruction, so that my son will not be destroyed.”The possible reason is to decrease the anger.

Why do you think Joab conspires to get David to bring Absalom home? HE KNOWS DAVID WANTS TO SEE HIS SON AND TO DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO FIND PEACE WITH HIS PAIN. IN ADDITION, IT IS MY BELIEF THAT JOAB UNDERSTANDS WHAT HE DID AND WHY HE DID IT.

Why do you think David does not immediately show Absalom his favor?

GUILT AND CONFUSION REGARDING TAMAR. FEAR OF RETRIBUTION FROM THE PEOPLE.

Why do you think Joab conspires to get David to bring Absalom home?

He probably saw how the situation was affecting David. He wanted to reconcile the family and bring the kingdom back to peace. He wanted the people to accept Absalom as a future king.

He might have been scared of what the family will feel, what the people will feel and how he himself was still feeling against Absalom.

I also think there is a possibility that he knew Absalom's hart, he knew what was coming. He might have knew Absalom wanted him dead.

All this is speculation

Joab conspires to get Absalom, because he knows David wants to see his son. He justhas no way of doing it ina way that would not be so ordinary. David, loves his son and he is incline for the throne.

David, is not going to show any immediate knowledge or gladness that Absalom is back, for the sake of what Absalom did to his brother.

Brother Mike

Q2. (2 Samuel 13:39-14:24) Why do you think Joab conspires to get David to bring Absalom home? Why do you think David does not immediately show Absalom his favor?

I think maybe Joab might have been wise to talk to David himself when some time had gone by. I am not sure why he did it but David deceived and was deceived.

I don't think David had a lot to say because of his own guilt. Or maybe it was just awkward or the lack of relationship that he never established when Absalom was growing up. The kids couldn't communicate with their dad. Another tragedy! A palace divided. Kids yearning for a father in their lives. Once again depressing and more sadness.

God bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

Joab thought Absalom should be next in line to inherit the kingdom, and he wanted to have a part in it.

David was still angry with Absalom for taking Amnon's life. If he wasn't accepted in court, he did not have favor with the king, his father.

Joab knew the King's heart: that the king longed to be reconciled with his son, but that apart from some external prompting, he would not make the first move.

David refused to grant an immediate audience to his son because he had not forgotten Abalsom's crime.

(2 Samuel 13:39-14:24) Why do you think Joab conspires to get David to bring Absalom home?

As much as Joab knows his king he knew that he miss his son.( v 39 NLV) The spirit of King David wanted very much to go out to Absalom.

David loved his son and he expect him to ask for the forgiveness, since he (Absalom) did not even bother to ask his father to come home, but Joab interceded for him, the least he could do was just to be like the prodigal son.

Q2. (2 Samuel 13:39-14:24) Why do you think Joab conspires to get David to bring Absalom home?

Joab was the commander in chief of King David's army, therefore he played an important role in the establishment of the Davidic kingdom, and he proved himself to David as he helped crush the Philistines and several other nations.

As commander in chief of the army he was now looking to the future of Israel and in so doing and in "HIS" wisdom he thought he had the answer.

Joab knew that in all Israel there was none so much praised for his "BEAUTY" as David's son Absalom, therefore when he observed that the heart of David's was longing for his son, he contrived a way to have him brought back.

However, I am learning that Joab's thoughts and actions were not coming from a "heart after God's own heart" being that of a "CIRCUMCISED HEART" but a heart that was being moved by the "FLESH".

God looks at the heart of man. 1Sam. 9:2 and he had a son, whose name was Saul, a choice young man, and a GOODLY: and there was not among the children of Israel a "GOODLIER PERSON” than he: from his shoulders and upward he was higher than any of the people.

Joab was looking to the future of Israel, but it was not the way of the LORD, it was the way of the "FLESH".

When God told Samuel what to look for in a king, God said "NOT TO" look on his countenance, or on the height of his stature, for that is what man, the flesh looks for, but the LORD looks on the heart. 1Sam. 16:7

THIS IS WHAT GOD TELLS AMERICA, A NATION WHO ONCE WAS UNDER GOD TO DO ALSO, "LOOK FOR GODLY LEADERS WHO STAND FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS.

AMERICA HAS VOTED AND I SAY “WOE IS ME”. :mellow:

(2 Samuel 13:39-14:24) Why do you think Joab conspires to get David to bring Absalom home? Why do you think David does not immediately show Absalom his favor?

Joab knew that even though David had banished Absalom, deep down David longed to see Absalom again. Joab also realized the importance of having a successor to the thronw in place so that they will not be a bloody civil war. Absalom was next in line and was thus the logical choice. He may be headstrong but he had a looks of a king.

I think in a way David was punishing Absalom for killing his brother by not showing him his favor. It must have been dreadful for Absalo to be able to return home to his country and yet not being able to step into court and see the King.

Q2. (2 Samuel 13:39-14:24) Why do you think Joab conspires to get David to bring Absalom home?

Joab is trying, by human means, to ensure the succession of power in Israel for when David eventually dies. Despite, and because of, the murder of Amnon, Absolom is the heir to the throne. He is now David's eldest living son. David also loves Absolom as a father would love a favored son. If Joab can restore the father-son relationship between David and Absolom the succession of power should go smoothly when David dies. David will also be in a better mood when he's not missing Absolom so much.

That's Joab's thinking I reckon.

David is obviously still very upset over losing Amnon. In addition he doesn't want to let Absolom completely off the hook for killing him. There could very well be a pride issue here on David's part as well. David is no idiot. I reckon he has already worked out that Absolom is an ambitious man who has proven he is capable of anything to achieve his ends.

(2 Samuel 13:39-14:24) Why do you think Joab conspires to get David to bring Absalom home?

14:1 Now Joab the son of Zeruiah perceived that the king's heart was toward Absalom.

Joab was not only David's right hand man at arms, he was also a relative. Perhaps where the Bible is silent with many details, Joab perceived gives us insight that he had some interaction with David. Through this interaction there was enough to know David's heart towards Absalom. Perhaps he as well had some interaction with his cousin Absalom, he knew where Absalom was (14:23)

Mixed emotions, even though he longed to see Absalom, he still grieved Amnon. Perhaps many factors prior to these tragic events lead to a distant in their relationship, upon Absalom return things became even more awkward and David didn't know where to begin.

There could be countless possibilities, many with varying truths.

Q2. (2 Samuel 13:39-14:24)

Why do you think David does not immediately show Absalom his favour?

Joab realised that David longed to have Absalom back in Jerusalem, but more importantly, Joab was concerned about Absalom, who was heir to the throne, being ready to reign just in case something happened to David. Although David misses his son, perhaps he realises that the people knew that Absalom was guilty of murder and should therefore be executed. As king it was his duty to uphold the law, and Absalom being guilty of Amnon’s murder could therefore not return without receiving due punishment. So we see the fear of public disapproval preventing David from allowing Absalom to return to Jerusalem. On the other hand, we know that Absalom was a favourite among the people, and perhaps David allowed his son to be kept out of the limelight and lay low for a time.

(v39) David longed to go to Absalom, as his grieving for his son Amnon was behind him, and Joab knew that David's heart was toward Amsalom (14:1) It seems to me that from the connivance with the woman of Tekoah he sent to David with the made up story, that Joab thought Absalom should be brought back and anointed King, and further, from Joab's concocted story, that he feared Absalom may be killed before he could be crowned. There's the aspect of Job security for Joab as well....keep the King happy, keep my job.

Guilt, impotence and apathy. If he banished him and didn't deal with the murder of Amnon, David would be absolved of having to sentence Absalom to death. Just as with Tamar's rape, he lived as though nothing had happened. I don't think it was denial...just completely impotent and apathetic. God had extended grace to David, in not giving him the sentence of death, which David had declared to Nathan, as suitable punishment for his own sin. Amnon was dead, as was his son with Bathsheba, and he didn't want any more death!

Joab conspires to get David to bring Absalom home because:

1) He knows David misses Absalom

2.) To get the (now) heir to the throne back in good graces to avoid civil war upon David's death. This would be for the security of the kingdom.

David does not rush to reconcile with Absalom. He allows him to come home, but makes sure Absalom knows that "favor" is not upon him. I think maybe David realized being lax as a parent had cost him dearly. Perhaps this was his way of showing Absalom he was at his father's mercy. David proved his authority over him. He "put him in his place" so to say. Perhaps he needed to show some rigid standard also to the people in the kingdom. I'm sure there had been some raised eyebrows over the rape, the murder and the lack of following law concerning Absalom. It could have been a political move by David to retain some respect for himself, yet have his son returned. To "Have his cake and eat it too." That's all speculation.

We do know he missed Absalom....and had grieved Amnon's death.... perhaps he just hadn't come to a point of really forgiving Absalom and took some time to work through that while keeping Absalom near .

Joab saw a future king after David in Absalom that was why he conspired to bring him home in line with succession plan.

David did not immediately show favour to Absalom because he considered Absalom no longer fit for the throne.

Loyalty, he is loyal to both David and Israel. He knows David longs to be reunited with Absalom, and he also realizes it would be in the best interest of the people if David's successor were not in exile. Perhaps he has an ulterior motive as well, David is aging and so is JOAB! Joab knows if David and Absalom are enemies, his future could be less secure.It is in his best interest to stay in favor with BOTH David and Absalom .

Perhaps, shame is the main factor. If he looks upon his son's sin, he has to revisit his own sin.

I think that maybe the reason that Joab conspires to get David to bring Absalom home is for some alterative motive. Joab is a cunning person and he sees the advantage of bringing Absalom back home.

I think that the reason that David does not immediately show Absalom his favor is that he is still mad at him. He may love him but Absalom must be punished and by not immediately showing is favor that was his punishment.

Joab conspires to get David to bring Absalom home because he wants Absalom, who is the next for inheritance after Amnon, to inherit the throne in order to avoid civil war when king David dides.

I think David does not immediately show Absalom his favour because he was not a favourite to him like Amnon.

The Spirit of David was longing for Absalom. Joab knew that David misses Absaloms, but could it be that David still mourns for Amnon? He could not properly face Absalom for this...

The text talks about Joab wanting to get Absolom back home so that Absolom can establish himself as king when David dies. This is probably the case, but it probably has to do with the position or lack there of that Joab would have if Absolom was not able to become king upon David's death. And, this is not a bad thing. A lot of work had been done to get Jerusalem to the point that it was now.

Because to do so would have been an act to lift up the continence (restraint/control) of Absolum and it would be seen as David giving a blessing to Absalom. At least David was holding back something from Absalom.

1. Joab recognize that David longs to see Absalom. Also, he wanted to prevent a civil war if a successor was not in place.

2. David knows this is the right thing to do but he is still hurt over the death of his 1st born and has not forgiven Absalom. David neither admits Absalom into his presence nor smiles upon him.

I think Joab conspired to get David to bring Absalom home because David truly longed to have his son home.

I think David did not immediately show Absalom his favor beofter cause he did not want to show his side, a father's love for his son in spite of his wrong doing.