JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Evacuating Jerusalem

Q1. (2 Samuel 15:14-30) Why does David flee Jerusalem rather than stay and fight? What are David’s emotions during this retreat? Why doesn’t he take the ark with him into exile? Does this exhibit faith, fatalism, or submission? What does this tell us about his faith?

• 3 months later...

Q1. (2 Samuel 15:14-30) Why does David flee Jerusalem rather than stay and fight? What are David’s emotions during this retreat? Why doesn’t he take the ark with him into exile? Does this exhibit faith, fatalism, or submission? What does this tell us about his faith?

“We’ve got to run for our lives or none of us will escape Absalom! Hurry, he’s about to pull the city down around our ears and slaughter us all!”Go back to the city and say to Absalom, ‘I’m ready to be your servant, O King; I used to be your father’s servant, now I’m your servant.’ Do that and you’ll be able to confuse Ahithophel’s counsel for me. The priests Zadok and Abiathar are already there; whatever information you pick up in the palace, tell them. Their two sons—Zadok’s son Ahimaaz and Abiathar’s son Jonathan—are there with them—anything you pick up can be sent to me by them.” Fatilazation

• 2 weeks later...

David flee from Jerusalem to avoid unnecessary risk of life and the tragedy of a military assault on the city.

His emotions during this retreat is of dismay and disparity. The loyalty of David's servants must have been a real encouragement in a time of such disloyalty from his own family.

It belongs, he believes in the Capital City. Yehweh is Yahweh's God. The ark is not David's personal shrine to take wherever he goes.

David realises that the current threat is the Lord's discipline for his sins. His attitude is clearly one of submission to Yahweh (15:25-26);

16: 10-12). David knows that God is a merciful a god. If he humbled himself , God may change his mind and bring mercy instead of judgement.

David knows that the Lord is with him. Through his tears and his mourning and his repentance , this is the faith-filled, obedient David we see.

Why does David flee Jerusalem rather than stay and fight?

Pastor Ralph gives 2 good reasons. I believe there was a 3rd reason that might have weighed even more than the 2 logistic reasons mentioned. We saw later on that David ave a command that Absalom is not to be harmed, and that he was broken when Absalom was killed.

I dont think he wanted to fight Absalom at all in fear that something might happen to his son. He also loved Israel and didn't want the nation devided. There was nothing he could do about a devided Israel, but he doesn't want too many people to die.

Another reason is that he knows this is God's will (punishment) and he doesnt want to go against God's will.

This was not a fight he wanted at all, so he 1st fled to see what Absalom was going to do, maybe he could find a peaceful solution.

What are David's emotions during this retreat?

He is hart broken, he feels guilty and have true repentance because he knows this is part of God's judgement for his sin. He knows his son is standing up against him because of his own actions. Yet he doesnt want to react because he still loves his son.

Why doesn't he take the ark with him into exile?

As pastor Ralph mentions, he knows he needs spies in Jerusalem. He also have a very close relationship with God, and he knows God is with him, where-ever he goes, whether the Arc is with him or not. And finally he knows this is part of his punishment / sanctification. He knows God's will is going to happen.

Does this exhibit faith, fatalism, or submission?

All the above

What does this tell us about his faith?

His faith is very strong, and he is inteligent enough to know that what God wants to happen is going to happen, so he goes out with the knowladge that God is with him and God's will is going to happen.

(2 Samuel 15:14-30) Why does David flee Jerusalem rather than

stay and fight?

David knew that the battle is not his but the Lord. He said:let :Him do to me whatever seems good to Him.

His emotion was weary.

He was too burdened

Submission

Shaking,David never say "IF" now he said: if I find favour in the Lord's eyes he will bring me back.

Why does David flee Jerusalem rather than stay and fight? HE IS UNPREPARED FOR WAR.

What are David's emotions during this retreat? REPENTENCE, SORROR, AND CONCERN FOR HIS PEOPLE.

Why doesn't he take the ark with him into exile? TWO REASONS, ONE FOR GOD AND NEXT FOR HIM: 1) THE ARK IS FOR JERUSALEM'S COVERING & 2) IT CAN SERVE A USEFUL PURPOSE OF SPYING FOR DAVID.

Does this exhibit faith, fatalism, or submission? FAITH

What does this tell us about his faith? UNRELENTING..

Q1. (2 Samuel 15:14-30) Why does David flee Jerusalem rather than stay and fight?

There is no provision in the city for war. It has been many years since war has threatened Jerusalem. Again we catch David resting on his laurels. Not paying attention. Not taking responsibility, being lackadaisical as a king and leader, he is ineffective. He is not prepared, there is no food nor water for the months they may be in the fortified city. Davids troops are not as plentiful as Absalom's. David's troops consist mainly of those Israelites who are with him in Jerusalem. Absalom has a much stronger, larger army from all areas of the land of Israel. He has accomplished quite a massive following! Complicating this problem is also the fact that Jerusalem's fortification may be in disrepair. It is not a far stretch to think or believe that David has been lax is the upkeep of the capital city., perhaps the fortified walls are not as strong as they used be. He has shown this type of casualness, irresponsibility in other areas of his life, eg. disciplining his children.

What are David’s emotions during this retreat?

He is saddened, contrite, he knows what is happening is a result of his sins as prophesied by Nathan some years ago.. Submissive to God,obedient, he is in deep repentance. Filled with dismay and despair. Sorrowful.

Why doesn’t he take the ark with him into exile?

Faith, David trust God is always with him whether the Ark remains in David's presence or not. He feels the Ark belongs to all of Israel, God's chosen people. The Ark should be in the capital city of Jerusalem in its formal resting place, not being paraded all over the wilderness for David's sake. David also has an ulterior motive. David is true warrior, a strategist, he knows if the Ark is taken back into the city of Jerusalem that the priest Zadok and Abiathar will be with the Ark, and will act as inside 'spies' so they can report to David what is going on in his beloved city once it has been taken over by Absalom and his troops.

David definitely exhibits both faith and submission. He is not being fatalistic in any way. He trust God's will and is submitting to it with sorrowful repentance.

What does this tell us about his faith? David may have strayed far and wide, but his faith is in tact. David is a true man of God. Through all his sins, his mistakes, he always returns to his rock, his God. His faith never falters through all his trials and tribulation in life david has remained steadfast in love with God.

Q1. (2 Samuel 15:14-30) Why does David flee Jerusalem rather than stay and fight?

David, the great warrior of Israel, in his wisdom saw the writing on the wall; the hearts of the "MEN" were after that of Absalom.

David was not prepared to fight against the heart of Israel, in David's wisdom he saw what danger there would be to the "City of David" if he had stayed.

I see the heart of David was a caring heart, a heart after God's own heart; he was concerned about Jerusalem, the place where God's name, His presence was to be.

David had Zadok take the ark back to the city, for “IF” God would show His favor, His blessings as he did when it was at the house of Obed-edom, David would then know, his "FAITH" believed that God would bring him back and show him his habitation.

His "SUBMISSION" exhibits his "FAITH" is in the God of Israel, and not in the circumstances that surrounded him.

David leaves because he has been laid back for quite some time, possibly because of his age, and is not prepared for battle. He has no troops ready and no food stores. He loves the people and knows if they stay they would probably all die.

I would imagine David was feeling very sad. First because his own son was fighting against him, and second to have to leave the place he loves and be separated from the Ark of the Covenant. I think he also was feeling repentant for not being prepared and putting the people in jeopardy but he was accepting all this because he knew it was discipline from God who loves him. Still what a burden to carry knowing that Israel was in such danger because of his sins.

He didn't take the ark because it isn't his personal property and by leaving it and the priest's, he would have informants.

I think it mostly displays faith and submission to God's will, but also fatalism because David knew he had no other options.

What this lesson tells me about David's faith is that it's as strong as it ever was.

There are many answers that could be fitting, I believe that one of them based upon David's belief that Absalom would "bring evil upon us, and smite the city with the edge of the sword. " He knew what Absolom had done on the night that his first borne was killed. If Absolom was capable of carrying out such a heinous crime, in his blindness he had the potential to do greater. David didn't want the city of Jerusalem to become a killing ground nor did he want to kill his son.

There could be many emotions experienced, the text says that he and those with him wept as they went up. They were weeping as they went up as they went up to mount Olivet.

David "wept as he went up, and had his head covered, and he went barefoot) He was covered his being covered could be an outward expression of repentance, nonetheless he was going through some radical changes whereby he nor the others could not be absent from feelings. Some of those feeling / emotions could have been disappointed, shocked, sadden, confused, maybe even disappointed, depressed, miserable, hopelessness, anguished, gloomy, despondent, dejected or in a state of desolation. David could have been experiencing any or all of these thing. This disruption of life was caused by someone close to him, it affected and would affect the people of Israel, it also was displeasing unto God. David was turning to God in a great time of need (solace, comfort, strength, guidance). His being barefoot I agree with Dr, Ralph was symbolic to submission,

The ark is not David's personal shrine to take with him wherever he goes. Though David paid homage to the things of God, he had learned from when the Ark of Covenant was taken into battle by Hophni and Phinehas through misguidance by the will of man the results produced were unfavorable. He knew the ark was more than a “good luck charm.”

I also believe, he believed the Ark belonged with the people, leaving the Ark in the city had the greater potential to bless the people as they assembled. His love for the people, public worship and the honor of God outweighed the thought to have the Ark physically with him.

Another probable reason, although David had learned proper transport of the Ark it would not be wise to transport it in haste wouldn't be wise.

"If I shall find favour in the eyes of the LORD, He will bring me again, and shew me both it, and His habitation: But if He thus say, I have no delight in thee; behold, here am I, let Him do to me as seemeth good unto him."

Within all David's statement all three can be seen depending on the readers perspective. Although I believe that truth can be found in all three, based on David's character the heavier of the three I believe would be faith.

David trusted in God, not in the ark of the covenant, he put his fate in the Lord's hands.

Q1. (2 Samuel 15:14-30) Why does David flee Jerusalem rather than stay and fight? What are David's emotions during this retreat? Why doesn't he take the ark with him into exile? Does this exhibit faith, fatalism, or submission? What does this tell us about his faith?

David did not stay to fight because Absalom had mobilised a large fighting men that could outnumber the King's military. Furthermore, there was no time to stock provisions that would last for a long time in an event of a siege on the city. David fled the city also as a military strategy of retreating in order to consolidate his military position.

David emotions were mainly remorse and penitence for his sins.

He did not carry the Arc because it was not his personal belonging. It belonged to the whole nation of Israel thus it remained in Jerusalem. The Priests that will remain with Arc will also serve as spies against Absalom.

His exhibition of faith was submission to the will of God whom he believe would do only what seems right.

David was a man of great faith in God

David wants to avoid a civil war. He loves his people too much to see Israelite killing Israelite. He also recognizes that Absolom's rebellion had been prophecied by God through Nathan. To involve the people of Jerusalem in this conflict would greatly displease God Himself. Better to leave the city and leave God to deal with Absolom in His own way. That decision must have rakled David the warrior, but David the statesman knew he was doing the right thing.

What are David’s emotions during this retreat? Why doesn’t he take the ark with him into exile?

David understands correctly that the Ark isn't his to take. God's place is with His people, no matter who their king may be at the time. David is extremely sorrowful and repentant. He humbles himself before God and fervently hopes God will rescue him from this whole business.

David's choices, decisions, and actions in this whole affiar exhibit great faith firstly. David is also in a state of submission to God's Sovereign will in this matter. "Let him do to me whatever seems good to him," is an indication of submission AND fatalism. David will try his utmost through prayer and supplication to get God to restore the kingdom to him but if God chooses otherwise David is prepared to accept it. His attitude is more submission to God than just giving up. There are times when we all have to just accept what is. We pray for a sick loved one and God allows them to die. We pray for help in a situation and God declines to answer. We just have to accept the outcome.

David's faith, which has not been tested for a while, remains strong, it seems. He now has to rely on God totally as he did during his wilderness years. David also has faith that his heart is now right with God, despite appearances to the contrary. He has humbled himself and is in total repentance and contrition. His faith is such that he can hope God will relent and restore his kingship.

Everything happened rather fast at this time. David was unprepared and I don't believe he wanted that kind of bloodshed in Jerusalem. I also believe that he knew if he met Absalom there would be father against son. He loved his son and also felt the burden for his mistakes in this whole miserable state of affairs.

We can state his emotions but David is the one who felt them deeply. I believe he was in shock, disbelief, feelings of failure and quilt, concern for his people and for Absalom. Oh David why did you do what you did and Oh Absalom why did you do this? Why do we do the wrongs we do. There was no good ending to this. Very tragic once again.

The ark belonged in Jerusalem and David had faith in God's fairness and that if it was God's will he would see it again.

Even in such difficult and tragic circumstances David's faith was there for him to lean on and to carry him through. He didn't blame God. He knew this was God's dealing with the sin in him and his family.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

Let us pray for one another on a continual basis. We are family.

David flees Jerusalem rather than staying to fight because he has the welfare of the people in his mind. He knows he is not prepared to defeat Absalom and his army and the cost in blood would be too high, so he strategically evacuates the city.

David's emotions at this time are very raw. He is weeping and in despair, head covered and barefoot, but he is also repentant and submitted to God, hoping God will help him. David knows Absalom's rebellion is from the curse, out of of his own wrong doing.

He doesn't take the ark with him because he knows God will be with him even if he does not have it in his possession. He has faith that God will return him to see the ark in the temple again and if that doesn't happen, then he is submitted to God's will in that for him.

David isn't feeling sorry for himself in this passage, so he isn't experiencing fatalism. He is though, experiencing submission to the punishment for his sins and to God's will and control over his life as well as experiencing faith and hope that God is still with him. His hope is that God will change his mind about this disaster sent upon him and that God will turn and help him.

This tells me that David's faith is strong. It's one thing to cling to God when things go right, but another to bow your head and submit to discipline or when God's will for your life doesn't seem to be what you have envisioned. He could have taken the ark with him, yet he left what was very dear to his heart in hopes of returning to see it in the temple again. It is very hard to let go of what is close to your heart and dear to you, trusting God is in it all. It takes faith and trust to act on that and it takes submission and faith to accept the outcome no matter what.

1. David flee Jerusalmen because he is not prepared to fight. And because of shortage of food and supplies and military weakness.

2. David's emotions during the retreat is: weeping, dismay, despair and submission to Yahweh.

3. David doesen't take the Ark into exile because:

-The Ark is not David"s personal shine to take with him where ever he goes.

-The Ark represents the presence and blessing of God. Also, he realizes the current threat is the Lord's discipline for his sins.

-The Ark belongs to the capital city.

4. This exhibits his faith and submission.

5. This tell us David's faith in God is strong and he knows that God is with him and God is merciful.

David flees Jerusalem because the city was not prepared for a siege, nor was the military ready either.

David's emotions seemed to be very low. Your emotions cannot be high & happy when you know God is judging you!

David didn't take the ark with him because it was not his personally--it was Israel's. He also showed respect for God--knowing he was to suffer God's judgement on him for awhile.

This all exhibited David's faith in that God was doing as He had promised David. It seemed fatalistic, but he did have hope still.

David's faith was strong & realistic. He believed God!!

Q1. (2 Samuel 15:14-30)

In the past we saw that David acts best under crisis, but until now he has been rather lethargic. However, with a crisis looming he moves into action. I think it was a strategic decision to flee rather than stay and fight. One reason was that there was not enough food available to survive a siege. He also knows what Absalom is capable of, and if he attacks Jerusalem he would slaughter innocent inhabitants, and David saw no reason for hundreds of people to die. At the same time he is buying time to get organised; he knows his chances are better in open country if there is going to be a battle. Also by leaving Jerusalem, he could identify his loyal supporters – those that left with him. While fleeing David weeps and knows he is being punished for his evil deeds; the words - "The sword shall not depart from your household" was being fulfilled. In the midst of all this betrayal and trouble we still see David’s concern for others. He does not take the ark with him because he knows the Lord is with him and that he will be returning to Jerusalem. We see this as he leaves ten concubines behind. Besides he does not see the ark as only his or as a type of good luck charm. All this exhibits faith and submission. David is willing to accept whatever God has decided for his life; we read, “But if he says, 'I am not pleased with you,' then I am ready; let him do to me whatever seems good to him." (v 26). David was inviting God to examine his heart and life and see if he was still a man after God's own heart. If David was not right, he was open to God's judgment and was willing to take whatever punishment God had in mind. He was willing to be corrected by the Lord. This tells me that David has learned to put his confidence in God, though burdened, broken-hearted, and deeply hurt. In Psalm 3 we get a clearer picture of what was taking place in his heart. In one of the verses he affirms his trust in the Lord: “But you are a shield around me, O LORD; you bestow glory on me and lift up my head. Psalm 3:3.

"David said to all his servants who were with him at Jerusalem, Arise and let us flee, or else none of us will escape from Absalom. Make haste to depart, lest he overtake us suddenly and bring evil upon us and smite the city with the sword." David was in his old default mode....fear! Run from the enemy, unlike his Goliath days when his trust was fully in the Lord to fight the battle for him.

In David's mind, he was already defeated and dethroned. He told Ittai the Gittite to return to his place and remain with the King...Absalom. His old fight and spark were gone. He seemed to expect that God's favor was "iffy". I believe David had not forgiven himself for past failures and sins and his guilt made him vulnerable to Absalom's coup attempt...almost as if he felt he deserved to be driven out of town and replaced due to unworthiness. Perhaps he was remembering the prophecy of Nathan (II Sam 12:10) after Uriah's murder, that the sword would never depart from David's house, and he expected to die at Absalom's hand.

I think he believed the ark belonged in Jerusalem with the King....and since he was declaring Absalom King, at least to Ittai the Hittite, it should stay where it belonged. If he found favor in God's eyes, he'd "see it and the Lord's house again"....if not, he'd either die at Absalom's hand or be exiled. Also, he fled in great haste, not allowing for the special care the Ark required for transportation, as he'd learned when he'd carried it on the cart.

I think David was in the fatalism mode. He didn't even stop to pray, inquire, or to ask the priest to seek guidance on his behalf. He'd already given up and fled for his life in fear.

It tells me David was wonderfully human and that like most of us, his faith ebbed and flowed in degrees as he went through trials and testing's. He never lost his love for the Lord nor his faith in Him, but he was no longer confident of victory, only in God's sustaining love.

David flees Jerusalem rather than stay and fight because he knows fighting at that time will destroy Israel. He was not aware of Absalom's coup plans thus he did not prepare himself by stocking enough food and and the number of his soldiers was small than that of Absalom. Thus, retreat was a sensible strategy.

David is convinced that, the Lord will be with him and one day he will return to jerusalem.

He does not take the ark with him into exile because he believes the Lord is of Israel and not his personally and therefore He, the Lord, deserves to be in the capital, Jerusalem.

This exhibis both faith and submission.

This tells us that, David's faith was still strong.

David fled Jerusalem rather than stay to fight because he knew in the end he would probably lose that battle. He would have to be fighting against his own people and his own son. He was not prepared to do that.

David’s emotions during this retreat are that of repentance. He is weeping all the way and had dresses is cloths that indicate that he is submitting to God. David didn’t take the ark into exile because he wanted the people that were in the city to have it. Another reason that he didn’t take it was because he didn’t have time to have the right people carry it and they hadn’t been consecrated.

I think that this all shows faith. David knew that God was merciful and that he would probably bring him back into power. This tells me that my faith is pretty weak compared to David’s.

Perhaps David was afraid because Absalom was changing the hearts of men. David must have been trying to be cautious. He doesn't take the ark with him into exile because he wanted to find favor in the Lord's eyes- it seems characteristic of fatalism or "rolling the dice".

David knows that he is not prepared to fight and win. He does not have any food stored up for a long seige. Also his professional fighting men are low in number compared to the many soldiers that Absolom has at his disposal (his countries army).

He is repentent. He has his head covered and he is barefoot which signifies dispair. He knows that God may continue with his punishment for his former sin or he may find favor in David repentent mode. Either way David knows that God is in control and will do what is right.

David knows the ark is not his personal property. It is for the people of Israel so he has it taken back to Jerusalem. David knows that God is still with him whether the ark is with him personally or in Jerusalem.

Faith

This tells us that David's faith is strong and trusting whether he has the ark with him or he talks to God thru prayer.

1. David flees Jerusalem because he does not have enough food, supplies and his miltary is weak.

2. This David's way of showing repentance. He knows God is a merciful God and hopes he will bring mercy instead of judgment on him for the wrong he has done.

3. He does not take the ark because the ark represent the present and blessing of God. He felt that if God found favor with him again He would bring him back to Jerusalem and let him see the ark in its dwelling place. He, also, felt that the ark was not his own personal shrine, but belong in the capital.

Does this exhibit faith, fatalism, or submission? What does this tell us about his faith?

4. This exhibits David's faithand submission. It tells us that David's faith in God was strong.

David fled Jerusalem rather than stay and fight because he feared the city being put to a battle in which many of the people will be killed and he might possibly lose.

David was at an emotional low but still he looked to the Lord for protection and eventually bringing him back to the throne.

David did not take the ark with him into exile because the ark should be under the care of the priest and in the city, not in exile with him.

David's actions and emotional display shows his submission to the providence of God.

David fully trust his God.

David received a message that his son and his army was coming to attack David and kill him. The city was filling with his enemies quickly and he knew his troops were no match to Absolum. The Ark remains in place since God isn't pleased with David at that moment. David's faith was being tested due to love for his son and his life, but he left in repentance remembering his son's birth where his son died due to his sin and he had told God he would do anything for God.