JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Costly Sacrifices

Q3. (2 Samuel 24:14-25) Why does David choose the punishment of a plague on the people rather than his other choices? David insists on paying Araunah for the threshing floor and the sacrifices. What principle drives this decision? How should this principle guide our own giving to God?

• 4 months later...

Why does David choose the punishment of a plague on the people rather than his other choices? BECAUSE GOD IS IN TOTAL CONTROL AND NOT MAN. When men attack David, he defends himself, there is no defense against God and he knows it taking his punishment until he can appeal for mercy.

David insists on paying Araunah for the threshing floor and the sacrifices. What principle drives this decision? GIVING GOD WHAT IS VALUABLE TO YOU MEANS SACRIFICE; IF IT COST NOTHING IT IS WORTH NOTHING.

How should this principle guide our own giving to God? KEEP IT IN MIND IN OUR GIVING.

David three-way choice:

1. Three years of famine

2. Three months of being purdued by their enemies

3. Three days of plague

David is ambivalent about the decision, but he chooses the third choice ultimately because he believes strongly in the mercy of his God.

"Let us fall into the handd of the LORD. For his mercy is great; but fo not let me fsll into the hands of men.

David insist on paying Araunah for it. He will not sacrifice to the LORD his God burnt offeting that cost him nothing. He paid fifty shekels of silver for them. He built an alter to the LORD there and sacrificed burnt offerings and felliwship offerings.

When we give our tithes and offerings to the Lord; our tithe is a mere token and a true piece of

ourselves.

David chose the plague of punishment on the people because he knew that God was more merciful than people were. He didn't want to fall into the hand of man.

He insisted on paying for the threshing floor because it had to be a sacrifice of his own. Something belonging to him. A sacrifice without suffering is not really a sacrifice.

When we give to the Lord it needs to be something of our own. Money, time, service, whatever. I don't believe we have to give anything to the Lord to atone for our sins as David did, Jesus covers that. We give out of love.

David chose the plague because he knew God would be gracious and he didn't want to fall into man's hands. Also, it was a shorter period of time.

He insisted on paying for the threshing floor because he felt he didn't want to sacrifice something to the Lord he himself didn't pay for.

Sacrifices should be real sacrifices. God knows our hearts.

Give out of a joyful heart --- our first fruits.

Q3. (2 Samuel 24:14-25) Why does David choose the punishment of a plague on the people rather than his other choices?

David knew that God would be merciful with him in his repentance....but did not want to fall into any other hands!

David insists on paying Araunah for the threshing floor and the sacrifices. What principle drives this decision?

David did not want to sacrifice anything to the Lord which cost him nothing....his sin cost 70,000 lives. He wanted to give a costly sacrifice.

How should this principle guide our own giving to God?

All that we have is His.... how we give reflects how much of a hold on us our money has....stinginess shows that money controls us, whereas generosity in giving shows that our priorities about money are in balance. He loves a cheerful giver who gives with a willing heart of gratitude for all that He has given us and that He is first in our lives.

Q3. (2 Samuel 24:14-25) Why does David choose the punishment of a plague on the people rather than his other choices?

David chose the plague because he believed God would be more merciful than that of mankind.

David insists on paying Araunah for the threshing floor and the sacrifices. What principle drives this decision?

In verse 17 David said to God, "surely I have sinned and have done wickedly" and asked that the punishment be against him and his father's house, and it was that day that Gad told David to go up and erect an altar to the LORD on the threshing floor of Araunah the Jebusite, and David did as the LORD commanded.

David said to Araunah he wanted to “BUY” the threshing floor from him, so he may build an altar to the LORD, that the plague would be withdrawn from the people.

If David did not pay for it, it would not have been received from God as coming from David.

This was David's offering to God and not that of Araunah, so he purchased it, therefore David was able then to give to God a burnt offering "OF HIS OWN FREE WILL" in order to make atonement for unintentional sin; David also offered peace offerings, a voluntary expression to God of David's thanksgiving and worship, and then the LORD heeded his prayers for the land, and the plague was withdrawn from Israel.

The LORD desires from us that we give "OF OUR OWN FREE WILL" - displaying to God true worship and love that comes from within, freely given.

David choose the punishment of plague on the people because:

-He believed that GOD would have mercy on him.

David insisted on paying for the land because:

-His sincere repentant to the LORD.

-GOD would have mercy on him.

How should this principle guide our own giving to the LORD?

-We should give from our hearts

-Giving should be a joy.

-It all belongs to GOD.

Why does David choose the punishment of a plague on the people rather than his other choices?

"So Gad came to David, and told him, and said unto him, Shall seven years of famine come unto thee in thy land? or wilt thou flee three months before thine enemies, while they pursue thee? or that there be three days' pestilence in thy land? now advise, and see what answer I shall return to him that sent me"

Truthfully I don't know, however seven or three years of famine would be extremely hard on everyone. Due to Saul's sin the people had already endured three years of famine (2 Samuel 21:1) I imagine David didn't want this on his conscious for that period of time. he believes strongly in the mercy of his God.

Perhaps David being a man of war calculated while being pursued by the enemy there not only would the people face combat but there would be turmoil, hurtful harms caused by war and being displaced, perhaps even the loss of lives. He knew men of war could be vicious and absent of grace and mercy.

With the latter choice, perhaps not the easiest choice, however as the lesson conveys, David knew that the Lord was merciful he hoped that the Lord would extend mercy and protection during the three days.

In the likeness of a Guilt offering (‘asham, trespass in KJV). This is hard to distinguish from the sin offering (Leviticus 4-5). Leviticus 5:6-7, the guilt offering is called the sin offering. or a burnt offering, David had sinned and there was punishment because of his sin. Although God is merciful there is a cost.

I don't see this passage relating to a free will offering, I don't know if that was the intent of the question, nor do I intend to infer that it does.

David mentions burnt offering in the verse.

Although salvation to all who come to Christ is by faith through grace there was a cost. Although there is no way we can earn salvation it is not free. There is a cost when we chose to believe that He is and allow Him to be Lord, there is a cost when we chose not to place Self first, there is a cost with sacrifice. Galatians 5:24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. Galatians 5:13 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

We should be repentant and not take His blood in vain. 2 Corinthians 6:1 you also that ye receive not the grace of God in vain. Galatians 2:21 Christ did not die in vain.

Q3. (2 Samuel 24:14-25) Why does David choose the punishment of a plague on the people rather than his other choices? David insists on paying Araunah for the threshing floor and the sacrifices. What principle drives this decision? How should this principle guide our own giving to God?

David was trusting in God's mercy. He would rather fall into the hands of God than the hands of men. (Amen!) It also was the least amount of time, so perhaps he wanted to accept the punishment and move forward as quickly as possible.

Paying Araunah for the threshing floor denotes a personal sacrifice for David. He wanted it to cost him something. Not just to have it for free. The principle that drives this decision is to give to God liberally.

Today, we don't give the least we can to God or of something that would cost someone else. We give sacrificially at a great cost to ourselves.

Q3. (2 Samuel 24:14-25)

Why does David choose the punishment of a plague on the people rather than his other choices?

David chooses the punishment of a plague rather than the other options because he would rather face a just God than fall into the hands of ruthless men. He knows that if we confess our sins and seek God’s forgiveness, He will forgive (1 John 1:9). We will still reap the consequences of our actions, but God will deal with them justly and we can always rely on God’s love and mercy. David insists on paying Araunah because he knows a sacrifice must cost something, otherwise it is not a sacrifice. This same principle applies to our giving – if it costs us nothing then it is not a sacrifice; it has no true value. Any offering has to be a sacrificial offering of ourselves to our Heavenly Father.

David chose the punishment of a plague on the people rather than his other choices because he knew that God was merciful and would relent.

David insists on paying Araunah for the threshing floor because if it didn’t cost him anything then it wasn’t a sacrifice. He felt that it had to cost him something for it to be a true sacrifice. The same thing is true in our giving. It should be a true sacrifice and not just a pittance of our wealth.

(2 Samuel 24:14-25)

David chooses the punishment of a plague on the people rather than his other choices because the punishment was for a shorter time than others and David strongly believes that, the Lord will have mercy even before the expiry of the period of that punishment.

The principle that drives this decision is that one has to sacrifice to the Lord something that costs that person.

This principle should guide our own giving to God by ensuring that, what we give to the Lord is just pittance, but that costs us.

David does not wish to fall into the hands of men-he’d rather die for God and by His will. David paying over in abundance in verse 24 shows us that God deserves our very best worship and sacrifices.

David choose the punishment of a plague on the people rather than his other choices because he strongly believe in the mercy of God.

The principle that drives this decision is fulfilling the role of a good leader to be an intercessor for the people.

As leaders of God's people we too must submit our will to God, leading his people in righteouness and to intercede for the people of God.

David three-way choice:

1. Three years of famine

3. Three days of plague

David is ambivalent about the decision, but he chooses the third choice ultimately because he believes strongly in the mercy of his God.

"Let us fall into the handd of the LORD. For his mercy is great; but fo not let me fsll into the hands of men.

David insist on paying Araunah for it. He will not sacrifice to the LORD his God burnt offeting that cost him nothing. He paid fifty shekels of silver for them. He built an alter to the LORD there and sacrificed burnt offerings and felliwship offerings.

When we give our tithes and offerings to the Lord; our tithe is a mere token and a true piece of

ourselves.

David three-way choice:

1. Three years of famine

3. Three days of plague

ourselves.

God is angry at the people and gives David a choice which he chooses 3 days of the plague because he believes in God's mercy. The Davidinic Covenant is followed. David wouldn't bring an offering to God that he himself doesn't pay for. I would like for this to be on my epithat.

• 1 month later...

Why does David choose the punishment of a plague on the people rather than his other choices? David insists on paying Araunah for the threshing floor and the sacrifices. What principle drives this decision?

a) David chooses the punishment three days of plague on the people because

he believes strongly in the mercy of his God.

B) David insists on paying Araunah. He stated "I will not sacrifice to the Lord

my God burnt offerings that cost me nothing".

c) We should give the Lord enough that it DOES cost us something, not give Him

just a pittance in tithes. God loves a cheerful giver, with a willing heart, for all

God has given us in our lives.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The plague is the shortest period of time, hence it might have the least impact on people of Israel but as he sees this is not a small punishment, it is revealed to him that building an altar of worship will end the plague.

In common wisdom, no sacrifice comes cheap, or it is not really a sacrifice. So what will I give up to please my God, and how will he tell me what this is?

• 3 weeks later...

He chose the plague because God has mercy, men have none.

God gave us a very costly gift in His Son, should we not give what costs us dearly.

He owed everything to God.

"All to Jesus I surrender"

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

• 2 months later...

3a)He chooses the third choice ultimately because he believes strongly in the mercy of his God&he thinks this choice will mean troops&people suffer for the shortest duration.
b)He insists on paying Araunah for threashing floor for altar sacrifice,inaccordance with Torah rules,though he didn’t obey Torah’s rules about collecting 1/2shekal per man in census,as each one belongs to theGod.i.e.To use or possess something or someone that belongs to God, you must pay a redemption fee. .David is here king& priest.Priests may have offered sacrifices at David's command& not mentioned.He definately was out of touch with his people,tempted by wealth,pride&lack of trust in Yahweh.Like his ancestor Abraham on Mount Moriah, David personally may have built altar, prepared sacrifice, and interceded for his nation,.CausingGod mercifully to stop plague.
c)Jesus atoned for our sin on the cross, we don’t give out of duty, but from a humble thankful heart,as an expression of our love for God.
d)Our giving should be joyful,not be just a token but really cost us something to show true repentent tender heart before God.

• 1 year later...

(2 Samuel 24:14-25) Why does David choose the punishment of a plague on the people rather than his other choices? David insists on paying Araunah for the threshing floor and the sacrifices. What principle drives this decision? How should this principle guide our own giving to God?

I admire that David willingly accepts responsibility and punishment for his poor, sinful choices. He believed that having a plague come would be more merciful than the other options, even though it would still be difficult.  When it comes to honoring God, David wants to give and worship God sacrificially by paying for the threshing floor; He knows this is the kind of worship what God desires from him. 

• 8 years later...
  • 1 month later...

"'14 Let us fall into the hands of the LORD, for His mercy is great; but do not let me fall into the hands of men.'

"I will not sacrifice to the LORD my God burnt offerings that cost me nothing." (24:24a)

Our own giving should also mean something and not cost us nothing.  It is not really from us otherwise.