JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 1 month later...

Q1. (1 Thessalonians 4:1-2) What is the difference between (1) conducting our lives by rules and (2) conducting our lives trying to please our God? Which is stronger? Rule-keeping or love? On whose authority does Paul bring these commands?

The difference between (1) conducting our lives by rules and (2) conducting our lives trying to please our God is one of doing what is right simply because of our love and fellowship with God our Father, Jesus Christ His Son and Holy Spirit our guide into all truth. Conducting our lives pleasing God by love is stronger. Rule-keeping can be done with disdain just because it's the rule. Paul brings these commands on the authority of the Lord Jesus Christ.

What is the difference between (1) conducting our lives by rules and (2) conducting our lives trying to please our God.

Living a life that pleases God requires faith. Faith that He is God and His ways are right and that He desires the very best for His children. It also calls us to love the one who forenew us and created us in His image; giving everything to us through His son Jesus Christ, who died on the cross for our sins. We generally follow rules to avoid the the punishment for disobedience or because we believe they are benefical to us. Or both.

Which is stronger? Rule-keeping or love?

Love is stronger! Rule keeping in itself becomes legalism. People will do just enough to avoid breaking the rules and being punished. It lacks grace; breaking a rule demands punishment. Love motivate us to please God knowing by faith that His ways are best and for our benefit. Love is a relationship between God and ourselves. Is there anything stronger?

On whose authority does Paul bring these commands?

God's authority.

Q1. (1 Thessalonians 4:1-2) What is the difference between (1) conducting our lives by rules and (2) conducting our lives trying to please our God?

I do not understand the question, however, by our following the rules of the land and by our following the rules of God is how we can please Him.

I am reminded of what Paul said in (1Th. 3:13) God’s laws of holiness have been established in our hearts, so that one day, at the coming of our Lord, the Messiah of Israel, we will be able to stand before Father God unblameable in holiness.

The strongest is “LOVE” God tells us, “If you “LOVE” me, keep my rules, my commandments.

These come from the authority of Father God, given to us through the authority of His Son, our Lord Jesus.

Q1. (1 Thessalonians 4:1-2) What is the difference between (1) conducting our lives by rules and (2) conducting our lives trying to please our God? Which is stronger? Rule-keeping or love? On whose authority does Paul bring these commands?

Conducting our lives by rules which are imposed or forced upon us don't inspire one to obey out of love or enthusiasm. They become abstract and empty -- meaningless. Whereas rules for conduct based in a personal relationship God where one understands that the rules were created out of love and the best interest of the individual inspire obediance from a returned love. A love that creates a desire to please God in order to deepen a relationship with, and bless God who is blessing you. A desire to return love with love. A desire to please God with conduct that we are told pleases Him. Conduct fueled or motivated by love beats robotic rule following any day.

Paul tells the Thessalonians that he gives these instructions by the authority of the Lord Jesus Christ in verse 2.

What is the difference between conducting a (conducting our life by rules), or conducting our life to please God. It There are so many caught up in a life that has rules as a guideline. But they fell to see if the rules that they follow are contrary to the Word of God, it is not going to help no one but flesh., (man). On the other hand when all is that we do are in the guideline that God has given us to follow it will be blessed and bring great pleasure to the Lord Jesus Christ. Praise God. Rule keeping may bring a fleshy love, but not a real intimate love that will last forever. Paul tells us if you really love Christ, you will do as He does, my prayer has been,let nothing be seen in me but Jesus. GOD BLESS YOU SISTER BROTHER MIKE MCCUE

Conducting our lives to please God means that we love God and do what he says we should do and to ensure we do not do what he says we should not do. On the other hand conducting ourselves by rules means we become legalistic to do what the rules say without any regard to God.

Paul teachings are on the authority of God.

Q1. (1 Thessalonians 4:1-2) What is the difference between (1) conducting our lives by rules and (2) conducting our lives trying to please our God? Which is stronger? Rule-keeping or love? On whose authority does Paul bring these commands

(A) I think when you conduct your life by rules you are done it just because it a rule you have to have to do what the rule say.

(B) But when you are conduct your life the way God's wont us to we are done thus say the word trying to do the best we can.

© Love is the stronger,the love of God is forever and ever.

(D) Paul bring these authority from the words Lord Jesus Christ.

What is the difference between (1) conducting our lives by rules and (2) conducting our lives trying to please our God?

When we have to conduct our lives by rules, we do by force and with fear of punishment.

Conducting our lives trying to please God we do voluntarily with love with the only objective of getting to know God more and have a deeper relationship with Him.

Love is stronger

Paul brings these commands in the authority of God.

We conduct our lives by rules because it is the law and maybe its not the best law, we go along with it.

Conducting our lives trying to please God is because of the love we have for him and knowing He sent His Son JESUS CHRIST to suffer and die for our sins.

Love is stronger than rule-keeping.

Paul brought these Commands on the authority of our Lord JESUS CHRIST.

When we conduct our lives by rules, we are trying to live out of our own strength. Ultimately we will fail because we can't do it in and of ourselves. We are also driven by perfectionism or out of guilt to be "good enough." We fool ourselves that if somehow we can do everything right, we are somehow earning something spiritually. It breeds pride and demands honor from men and is legalistic.

Living trying to please God is living out of love and thankfulness. We are obedient because we have found love. It also emulates Christ who's desire was to honor the Father and to receive honor from the Father. Living out of pleasing God is based on relationship, love and grace. This breeds humility and gratitude and joy in serving the one you love.

Love is ALWAYS stronger!!! Grace draws people. Rule keeping drives them away.

On whose authority did Paul bring these commands? Jesus Christ!

The law of love and grace!

What is the difference between:

-Conducting our lives by rules - When we come to the place where we are living by all the rules, our lives are dead. We have nothing to look forward to that is a reward for our work and each day becomes like the quote, "work another day, get another day in debt". Rules are boundaries that post the limit for things and are not posted to be broken.

-Conducting our lives to please our God - Many people think that the Bible is a book of do's and don'ts. It is not. The Bible gives us guidelines to follow, but with boundaries when we get off the right path. God did not make us to love Him. God made us with the ability to choose to Love Him. When we do please God, it also pleases us and gives us more joy.

Which is stronger - rule keeping or love?

Love is much stronger because when we love, we choose to follow God and His commandments. With rule keeping, we just do it as a routine.

Paul issues these commands through the authority of God through Jesus Christ, the highest authority.

Q. What is the difference between (1). Conducting our lives by rules and (2). Conducting our lives to please God?

A. Conducting our lives by rules can be somewhat complicated. They are a variety of rules based on our age, location and perhaps gender. Rules have limitations and restrictions. According to the world rules are made to be broken. In conducting our lives to please God, we should live our lives according to the Word of God which applies to all, despite our differences. God is no respecter of persons and He does not change. Conducting our lives to please God should be our joy and bring us pleasure.

Q. Which is stronger? Rule-keeping or love?

A. Love is stronger because love wants to please God. John 14:15 says, If you love Me you will keep my commandments".

1John 5:3b, and His commandments are not burdensome".

Q: On whose authority does Paul bring these commands?

A: Paul bring these commands on the authority of the Almighty God through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Q1. (1 Thessalonians 4:1-2)

What is the difference between (1) conducting our lives by rules and (2) conducting our lives trying to please our God?

Every believer’s top priority should be to please God. If not, then we cannot claim to know and love God. Of course, pleasing God is much more than only doing God’s will. We could be conducting our lives by obeying rules without our heart being in it, or we should be conducting our lives trying to please God out of our love for Him. Doing the will of God from our heart with love is much stronger than just obeying a list of set rules. See Ephesians 6:6, “Obey them not only to win their favour when their eye is on you, but like slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from your heart.” Today we do not seem to ‘walk the talk’ – we rather like to talk about the gospel, but not live and apply it in our everyday life. We should, out of the love for God, be shining lights for Jesus, and people should be able to point us out in the community. Our acceptance before God is not due to us obeying any laws, but rather we are obliged to keep God’s moral law and commandments. Jesus said in John 14:15, "If you love me, you will obey what I command.” I find it does help if I keep my mind on divine things. “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things. (Philippians 4:8); which is also one of my favourite verses. Paul brings these commands by the authority of the Lord Jesus, that we should please God by living lives of practical holiness.

Q1. (1 Thessalonians 4:1-2)

The difference is that, conducting lives by rules does not necessary indicate care for others; those conducting lives by rules do break those rules and they don't care. However, conducting our lives trying to please our God is following what he wants us to do, including caring for others.

Love is stronger.

Pauls brings these commands on the authority of Jesus Christ himself.

If we conduct our lives by rules we are only trying to please the one who has made the rules. It brings about dread and fear.

If we conduct our lives to please the Lord it will be full of joy and peace. If we love our Lord we will do anything to please Him and we will do it happily and cheerfully. We know He is in perfect control of our lives and we have no fear come what may.

Love is stronger than rule keeping.

Paul brings these commands under the authority of Jesus Christ

Q1. (1 Thessalonians 4:1-2) What is the difference between (1) conducting our lives by rules and (2) conducting our lives trying to please our God?

Conducting our lives by rules, is trying to please God through the efforts of my fallen flesh....or living under the strain of the outdated Old Covenant which was given to show that it's impossible to fulfill....break one, we're guilty of breaking them all. Rule-keeping means we're always focused on SELF instead of JESUS and His love.

Conducting our lives to please God, is living in the joy and peace of the New and better Covenant, by allowing the Holy Spirit to not only lead but to live His life through (or in spite of) our flesh, in the knowledge that when Jesus said IT IS FINISHED on the cross, He fulfilled the law so that we can be done with the keeping the Law.

Rule keeping is based in fear and ignorance of Scripture....to walk with our Savior because we love Him is stronger and delights Him, because He died to set us free from all bondage...and rule-keeping is the worst kind of bondage! (If we succeed in any way, it leads to pride and self righteousness!!! )

Paul brought these commands "on the authority and by the inspiration of the Lord Jesus" V2, amplified

Q1. (1 Thessalonians 4:1-2) What is the difference between (1) conducting our lives by rules and (2) conducting our lives trying to please our God? Which is stronger? Rule-keeping or love? On whose authority does Paul bring these?

Ans. The difference between conduction our lives by rules verses please God is that rules are instructions and people tend to do just enough to stay within the boundaries, but love is different it keeps you doing what is right because your heart is in it and you don’t want to disappoint the one you love. Paul bring these on the authority of Jesus Christ.

In my humble opinion there is no difference what so ever in conducting my life by the guidelines that God has laid out in Torah and in pleasing God because they go hand in hand. When we stand before God in due time, we will have no man defending us. Only Christ Jesus.

Acts 5:29 Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.

1st John 3:7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.

John is telling us here not to let anyone deceive us but that we are to practice righteousness , yet James tells us that we can’t do our righteousness by faith only.

James 2:21-26 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar? Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect? And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God. Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only. Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way? For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

Romans 10:5-8 For Moses describeth the righteousness which is of the law, That the man which doeth those things shall live by them. But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise, Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above:) But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

Moses described righteousness which is of the law. The man that does the things written in the law shall live by them. The chain of reasoning then is that righteousness is attained by keeping the statutes of God and the judgments will follow. Cursed if we do not do them and blessings if we do them. Do what? Righteousness results from obeying God’s statutes and judgments. Living by them is the same as attaining life. Paul said this elsewhere.

Galatians 3:10-11 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them. But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.

For as many as are as are from works of legalism, they are under the curse; for it has been written, “Cursed is everyone who does not abide in all those things which have been written in the scroll of the Torah, (Teachings of God) to do them. We might ask, where was it written?

Deuteronomy 27:26 Cursed be he that confirmeth not all the words of this law to do them. And all the people shall say, Amen.

No one is made righteous in God by legalism is clear because ‘The righteous shall live by faith’, and legalism is not by faith, but ‘the one who does these things will live by them’. Them what?

Leviticus 18:5 Ye shall therefore keep my statutes, and my judgments: which if a man do, he shall live in them: I am the LORD.

Should there be any doubt whatsoever, righteousness that results from obeying God’s statutes and judgments leads to eternal life. That is the ‘them’. The verse says, ‘he shall live by them’. To make this a stronger statement Paul says ‘the man which doeth those things (the law) shall live by them’ the statutes and the judgments which culminates, ‘the law‘. The statutes are the boundary, the judgments is what is prescribed should anyone go beyond the boundary.

So putting God's word in tandem with my life and my actions to obey His word is paramount to my salvation because doing so pleases God greatly. Paul brings all of his life’s work on the authority of Jesus Christ.

LIving our lives by a set of rules is a sterile way to live. Most rules are negative in as much as they're all about "Don't do this" and "Don't do that".

Living to please God, on the other hand, is a positive vibrant way to live. We look for ways to help people (good works) and doing the right thing is only a part of pleasing God, not the be all and end all of our behavior.

Back in the Biblical days the Pharisees lived by a set of rigid rules and were miserable as a result. Love for God was replaced by personal pride in their own righteousness, which wasn't pleasing to God anyway.

That's a tough question. Rule-keeping can bind us, but love can free us. Love is stronger but we have to allow love to make us free to experience its power. I'm talking about God's Love for us and ours for Him.

Paul brings these commands by the authority of The Lord Jesus.

• Q1 What is the differeent between
  • 1. conducting our lives by rules.
  • 2. conducting our live trying to please our God? Which is stronger? Rule Keeping or Love? On whose authority does Paul bring these commands?

Ans-We all have rules that we have to follow. We have to obey the rules of the land, It is rules that are forced by man. How ever our lives is important to please god. The rules for god is chastism. Love is more stronger because if you love for real then you will obey gods rules. Paul bring these authority by god.

Matt 11:30 says my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Conducting ourselves according to the commands is easier than following man made rules. Man made rules apply to those who are interested in following them. Following God's is a labor of love as we grow from babes to an ever increasing spiritual maturity. We grow in love as we maturePaul is acting, not on his own authority, but on the authority of the one who called him into the service, Christ Jesus.