JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Eternal Conscious Punishment

Q3. (2 Thessalonians 1:9) According to verse 9, what kind of punishment will unbelievers experience? One definition of “hell” is “a place of eternal conscious punishment for the wicked.” What parts of this definition are confirmed in verse 9. Which parts of the definition trouble you? Why?

• 2 months later...

According to verse 9, what kind of punishment will unbelievers experience?

I believe that the unbelievers will suffer eternal, conscience separation from God.

One definition of "hell" is "a place of eternal conscious punishment for the wicked". What parts of this definition are confirmed in verse 9?

The word "hell" comes from a fire in the Valley of Hinnon that burns all the time and all garbage and dead bodies of criminals are put there. Verse 9 uses the phrase, "everlasting destruction" meaning that their punishment is forever.

Which parts of the definition trouble you?

None!

Why?

I believe that the punishment of the unbeliever will be just and that it will last as long as God exists. And the this punishment is separation from the prescience of God.

The verse says "everlasting destruction from God" I'm not sure what that means. However the most frightening thing to me is to be eternally separated from God.

Q3. (2 Thessalonians 1:9) According to verse 9, what kind of punishment will unbelievers experience?

The punishment is eternal separation from the power and glory of the Lord.

Q3. (2 Thessalonians 1:9) According to verse 9, what kind of punishment will unbelievers experience? One definition of “hell” is “a place of eternal conscious punishment for the wicked.” What parts of this definition are confirmed in verse 9. Which parts of the definition trouble you? Why?

2 Thessalonians 1:9 says, "They will be punished with "everlasting" destruction "forever" separated from the Lord and from His glorious power."

This describes "hell" With key words present. It will be a place of EVERLASTING destruction FOREVER separated from the Lord. It's not a place unbelievers are thrown into and disintegrated where they are no more, with no memory and no regrets after a moment of discomfort. It's a place where there is EVERLASTING, NON ENDING, ETERNAL punishment that lasts FOREVER.

No parts of this definition troubles me because it is truth, but what troubles me is that people will choose this, or will believe lies that will deceive them. I've heard people say they would rather live the "good life" here and enjoy sin while they can because in the end they'll just get snuffed out and be done with everything. When I tell them they won't be "just snuffed out" but will live in torment forever, that sometimes opens their eyes to rethink things.

For me, not being able to be in the presence of God would be the most terrible. It's what I long for and look forward to. I can only imagine....but I just know it's going to be beyond wonderful!

Unbelievers will experiences everlasting punishment, destruction and shut out of the presence of the Lord

and from the Majesty of His power.

"Everlasting punishment" troubles me for those I know that are not interested in knowing the Lord.

Why? to be forever shut from the presence of the Lord and from His Majesty Power.

"Heavenly Father please give us the boldness to witness to the lost and bring them into your Holy Kingdom, in the name of our Lord JESUS CHRIST."

AMEN

(2 Thessalonians 1:9) According to verse 9, what kind of punishment will unbelievers experience?

Everlasting destruction; the condition of being shut off from the Lord's presence and the majesty of His power.

One definition of “hell” is “a place of eternal conscious punishment for the wicked.” What parts of this definition are confirmed in verse 9.

They will be punished with everlasting destruction.

Which parts of the definition trouble you? Why?

Because it is an eternal punishment; it never ends. I don't know why anyone would choose this over eternal life and eternal fellowship with God. The evil one has done a great job in convincing people that there is no hell. But I believe in a righteous and Holy God whose grace and mercy and love are beyond our imagination; if there is a way for a person to be saved from erternal destruction He will make it. His wrath will not begin until the very last person comes to Him, broken, accepting Christ's free gift of salvation. "He desires that none should be lost." We can trust Him; if our hearts are breaking for the lost, just imagine how God must feel, creation rejecting the Creator, again and again and again...

The unbelievers will be punished with everlasting destruction and will shut from the presence of the Lord and the majesty of his power.

The definition of hell confirmed in Vs 9 is destruction which is everlasting and forever and absence of the presence of the Lord.

The fact that there is eternal destruction troubles me and also the fact that we will be forever and ever shut from the presence and glory of

God is troubling .. Lord may I be the one to be counted worthy and among the ones who have believed in the testimony of Paul and may I be given the grace to work out my salvation with fear and trembling to remain in the presence of the Lord!

Q3. (2 Thessalonians 1:9)

One definition of "hell" is "a place of eternal conscious punishment for the wicked."

What parts of this definition are confirmed in verse 9?

Which parts of the definition trouble you?

Why?

Unbelievers will experience everlasting, endless punishment, and be forever shut out from Christ’s presence and His glory. Verse 9 confirms that in hell there will be punishment and it will be eternal. Those in hell will be conscious – they will experience isolation from Christ’s presence and His glory. Our behaviour does have consequences and it is disobedience that results in eternal punishment not only because of our ignorance. But then we can never earn our salvation – it is a free gift for those who put their trust in Jesus. There can be no other way to avoid eternal damnation – our salvation is only through Jesus Christ. “Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”(John 14:6). I can only get on my knees and thank God that in eternity past he chose me.

Q3. (2 Thessalonians 1:9) According to verse 9, what kind of punishment will unbelievers experience?

They will suffer everlasting punishment.

One definition of “hell” is “a place of eternal conscious punishment for the wicked.” What parts of this definition are confirmed in verse 9?

The amp. defines this place as: everlasting ruin, destruction and perdition, eternal exclusion and banishment from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power.

Eternity is a long time to suffer....forever without end, knowing that one had the opportunity to be with Christ in His glory forever, and instead there will be no escape ever, from the choice to reject His offer of grace and mercy. That it is so final and yet so unavoidable if the right choice is made, is why it troubles me. He invites everyone and compels (gentle pressure) everyone, yet so many will ignore His yearning for them to come to Him. The entire Trinity is involved in that compelling invitation: The Father chose me and gave me to His Son as His love gift. The Holy Spirit woos and pursues me and leads me to Jesus. Jesus saved and redeemed me, and gave me to His Father as His love gift. That one can ignore and reject Him just plain grieves me, and that they will have to live with their decision for eternity.

Unbelievers will be punished with everlasting punishment.

The unbeliever being shut out from the presence of the Lord and from the majesty of his power seem to support the above definition. I'm not troubled by any part of the definition.

I believe God gives every human-being an opportunity to know him on some level. Salvation is made available for all humanity. It is human sin, arrogance, and self-centeredness that ultimately shut the unbeliever out of the presence of God for eternity. If a person doesn't want anything to do with God on any level in this life why would that person want to spend eternity with God? Again, sef-centeredness -- I reject God, but I don't want to go to hell. Most of humanity only love themselves -- the greatest of all the false gods.

Unbelievers will be punished with everlasting destruction, deprived of the presence and glory of God.

The punishment in hell is eternal and is confirmed in 1Thes 1:9 when it talks of "everlasting" destruction.

I do not have any challenge about the fact that God's judgement to the wicket who reject him will be everlasting.

When Christ returns, those who have resisted and rebelled against him will receive terrible judgment! They will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of the Lord and from the majesty of his power.

The word “Eternal” is confirmed in Verse 9.

The word “Eternal “ only troubles me thinking of so many people whom I love and have not accepted Christ, because its sad that forever people who reject Christ will have to suffer. Also I am troubled thinking I am not doing much to spread this word to everyone and I pray God fills with me his courage to spread the good news about Jesus Christ so that many will be saved from this destruction and will enjoy being in the presence of Christ when he comes back.

Q3. (2 Thessalonians 1:9)

The unbelievers will experience everlasting and destructive punishment that will shut them out of Christ's presence and glory.

One definition of "hell" is "a place of eternal conscious punishment for the wicked." What parts of this definition are confirmed in verse 9.

The parts of thes definition that are confirmed in verse 9 are "eternal punishment" and "for the wicked".

The part of the definition that trouble me is "conscious". Because, the eternal punishment will be carried out on our full consciousness and this is terrible experience. It is a call for us to turn to God so that we cannot experience such a terrible situation.

Eternal separation from God's majesty and glory. Unbelievers will be forever outside the Kingdom of God. Away from His presence it will be unbearably miserable. The mention of everlasting destruction seems to refer to continuous punishment. They won't just be separated from God, they will endure unending suffering.

One definition of “hell” is “a place of eternal conscious punishment for the wicked.” What parts of this definition are confirmed in verse 9.

The part about being punished with everlasting destruction.

Well, all of it really. There seem to be two schools of thought regarding who will actually make it to Heaven. On the one hand there is the huge crowd of witnesses mentioned in Revelation. On the other hand we have Jesus Himself talking about how many WON'T make it, despite what seemed to be successful ministries on Earth, including even casting out demons in His name. How tragic and eternally disappointing it will be to hear the words: Depart from Me I never knew you.

Unbelievers will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from God's presence and from the majesty of his power.

It is confirmed with the word- eternal destruction.

The verse 2 Thessolonians verse 9 itself creates trouble in the mind. It is fearing to think to shut from God's presence and destruction forever with no remedy at all. it makes me pray for all my loved ones that may be saved from these things and will be able to enjoy God's presence forever. It also warns me to live a holy and blameless life till the return of Christ and be worthy of His eternal life and eternal Kingdom. This verse makes me to keep my life committed to Christ and to His Word and reach out to many and bring them to the Knowledge of Christ so that none be lost especially my own family members.

• 2 weeks later...

"They will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of the Lord and from the majesty of his power." (1:9)

Unbelievers will experience eternal or everlasting destruction or ruin for their sins. They will feel the wrath of God (Romans 6:23), and will be banished or separated from the presence of the Lord and the glory or majesty of His power forever.

One definition of “hell” is “a place of eternal conscious punishment for the wicked.” What parts of this definition are confirmed in verse 9?

In verse 9, “everlasting” means unending. Eternal life is unending, and this means that eternal punishment is forever, thus hell will be a place of eternal conscious punishment for the wicked or unbeliever.

I am only troubled because people have chosen to deny Christ and not accept His love and grace for their sins. They have refused the free gift of God’s son who died for the sins of the whole world. Just as God do not want anyone to perish, I do not want to see anyone go to hell, and to know that they are eternally separated from God forever.

John 3:15-18 – “And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

2 Peter 3:9 – “The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.”

Romans 6:23For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.”

everlasting destruction and being shut out from God. Eternal punishment

• 2 weeks later...

The kind of punishment unbelievers will experience is everlasting destruction were they will forever be shutout from the presense of the Lord.

• 4 weeks later...

Q3. (2 Thessalonians 1:9) According to verse 9, what kind of punishment will unbelievers experience? One definition of "hell" is "a place of eternal conscious punishment for the wicked." What parts of this definition are confirmed in verse 9. Which parts of the definition trouble you? Why?

Since God is life and light that tells me that eternal punishment will include everlasting consciosness of death and everlasting darkness.  Think about it, aware of the fact that you are dead and total darkness for ever.  You will feel dead but you will be conscious of all and all the things you have done that have put you where you are.  You will not see anyone and not receive comfort from the God of love whom you have rejected.  No more hope.

The whole definition troubles me because there are many who will be there.  God is not willing that any should suffer this so He sent His Son to suffer most terribly that we might not have to.  My spirit feels deeply troubled in me when I think of this.  Not for me but for those I know and don't know who have rejected the God of life and love.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

Dear Lord,

Forgive us our petty grievences and complaints when we think of the awfulness of this.  Give us hearts of compassion and love for the lost.  Have mercy on us O Lord.

In Jesus Name,

Amen

• 3 weeks later...

They will experience everlasting destruction and be separated from the Lord. This is a conscious punishment  and will be everlasting.

Verse 9 says that they will face everlasting destruction and face a separation from God whic confirms that the punishment will be everlasting and the will be in a place where God is not present

I have no trouble believing in the Word that clearly states that the unbelievers will face condemnation and everlasting punishment in hell.The fact that the suffering is everlasting troubles me  because I have many friends and relatives who don't seem to understand the severity of their decisions not to receive the saving Grace of God by accepting Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour. I have to pray very hard and try to bring as many of them to Christ.

• 2 weeks later...

According to verse 9 the kind of punishment that unbelievers will experience is everlasting destruction and will be shut out from the presence of the Lord.

The parts of verse 9 that confirms that “hell” is “a place of eternal conscience punishment for the wicked” is the  part that says with “everlasting destruction”.

I think that the part of this definition that troubles me is the everlasting destruction. I don’t know why, if we have a loving and forgiving God that He would torment them so long. But I do know one thing and that we do have a just God and He has his reasons and it is to protect us.

• 2 months later...

The unbelievers will experience a never ending punishment for all eternity. It is called a destructive punishment so in God's measure it will destroy them forever as they continue to exist in this state. The eternal conscious part is "shut out from the presence of the Lord and from the majesty of His power." You have to know that consciously. You are not in just a tormented state of sorts but you know the presence of the Lord is gone and His power has been taken from you. This troubles me knowing that it is forever and there are still those I love that are far from Jesus. We need to fight hard in prayer and actions for their souls.

• 1 year later...

"They will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of the Lord and from the majesty of his power." (1:9)

Let us first look at punishment. This word according to Leon Morris in The First and Second Epistle to the Thessalonians is a legal term that has the concept of a just penalty handed out as a result of an assessment of a crime. (204) The crime here is the non-belief in the Lord and our just God will mete out the appropriate punishment that will suit the crime. It is not for us to know- it is not in our frame of reference or in our present existence to know. We are only to believe om the Lord Jesus and be saved. (Acts 16.31) As the notes indicate the term does not give the idea of annihilation but of utter ruin-the loss of everything that is worthwhile. It is a separation from the Lord which is really the final disaster. But we do not know! We must only trust that the Lord Jesus has prepared a place for all.

Eternal.  Eternal life is the life that is brought on by the Lord in His Day.; It is a time of great joy, a time when the wolf will lie down with the lamb.  It is a time brought about by he who poured out his life onto death, who bore the sons of many, who was numbered with the transgressors, he who made intercession with the transgressors (Isaiah 53.12). It is he who decides upon eternity, both the tine and quality of eternity. There is no need to worry for meeting Jesus face to face will be a time of great joy. The fat calves will be prepared and there will be a great feast and celebration when we hear the trumpet call of the Lord.