JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Isaiah's Call and Response

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isaiah 6:5-8) What is Isaiah's reaction to the vision? Fear and Awe.  Seeing God made him feel he would die.

How does God deal with Isaiah's fear?   The hot coal cleansed him and God reassured him

What question follows Isaiah's cleansing? Who will go for us?

What is Isaiah's response to God's question?  Yes, Lord, send me.

What is your response when you sense God calling you?  Go!

Isaiah is a learned and holy man (then and today), he understood courtly heraldry, courtly customs, gestures, postures, when in the presence of royalty, and because of this he recognized divine royalty when he saw it and he acknowledged his sinfulness especially in the presence of his divine King and God.

As the vision progressed Isaiah understood that he had been cleansed/purged and chosen by his divine King and God. 

Isaiah then willingly gave his "fiat" declaring to God "Let it be so," "Send me." "I shall go." When one thinks about it for just a moment, who else could fill the bill as well as Isaiah? At that moment in human history, probably no one else. Plus, Isaiah knew many leaders and walked and talked with many others and even perhaps had in previous times had an audience with the king maybe even more than once or even more than a few times. Though these elitists, priests, scribes, prophets, nobles and royalty would not be pleased with his message, Isaiah would know how to handle himself and proclaim the "Word" of God clearly and confidently even when the message fell on deaf ears and hardened hearts.

I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times, what is still to come. I say, 'My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please.' ...

Isaiah 46:10

"For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven, And do not return there without watering the earth And making it bear and sprout, And furnishing seed to the sower and bread to the eater; So will My word be which goes forth from My mouth; It will not return to Me empty, Without accomplishing what I desire, And without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it. "For you will go out with joy And be led forth with peace; The mountains and the hills will break forth into shouts of joy before you, And all the trees of the field will clap their hands.… Isaiah 55:10-12

In other words, we do our part and faithfully live the Gospel and when necessary use words. We are to proclaim the Word of God with everything we think, say, and do and leave the increase in God's capable hands.

How great is our God to come to Isaiah in a vision and let him see his splendour!

How great still that Isaiah's sin was no barrier to God in giving him full forgiveness!

He chose this man to do his work at the time and Isaiah said Yes!!

There is the message for us all who have faith to believe that God will give us all the tools necessary to do his work...

Isaiah is woeful he is expressing sorrow. He has seen the Kadosh (holiness) of YHVH considering that Isaiah himself was righteous. Isaiah realises how dirty he is in the presence of YHVH.

YHVH sends one of his angels with a coal to cleanse Isaiah of his sin. It’s interesting in that one can assume that the coal is a type of Yahshua who also cleanses our sin.

After the cleansing YHVH asks who shall I send? We see that Isaiah has been cleansed he is now able to work for YHVH and volunteers himself.

When YHVH calls us for work we must cleanse ourselves through repentance if we are willing to try to hear YHVH he will use us. But we must empty ourselves of sin and try hard to work for him.

As a side-bar, I want to say I like "Talmid Danny" insight about "emptying ours selves." I would like take this just a bit further if I can.

It is human to grieve for a time. All beings can grieve for a time and perhaps all must grieve for a time. However all too often people continue to greave sometimes for decades over a loss of a precious possession or over a lost one. When a person grieves for so long, its because they have not learned how to let go of their imagined control. To grieve to the point of making one self sick or depressed clearly is not healthy to mind, body or spirit. Not only will such behavior hurt the person stuck in this rut, but it also hurts those around them, whether other immediate family members or extended family members or friends or even future opportunities and relationships. To grieve without letting go of that which cannot be controlled or retrieved is simply an unreasonable response that will lead to worse losses. I would suggest reading Luke 8:16-[18].

As Judeo-Christians we are to learn the virtue of grieving well. Grieving is one of the most important aspects of living the Christian life or living the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. When a person learns the virtue of grieving, and this is a gradual even life long process, when the loss or sudden calamity comes and it certainly will, the grief will be bearable and quite temporal as it is intended to be.

From the moment God the Son made His fiat and said "yes" to the Father, the Son had begun His virtuous grieving even at the moment of His incarnation and as Immanuel and as the Christ. He taught His followers and His Church the art of virtuous grieving, offering ones self as a "living sacrifice" for the love and glory of God the Father.

What is virtuous grieving? It is learning how to not hold on to those things and persons which we do not in truth have any actual capacity or the authority to control, we learn to let go of all attachments especially worldly attachments, so that our focus and attention is always squarely upon our heavenly Father and how we can know, love and serve Him most perfectly each passing hour of our mortal lives, so that we ultimately can live and be happy with Him in heaven for eternity. In doing so, we learn how to store up treasures in heaven rather than cling to imagined possessions.

Clearly the prophet Isaiah had already mastered this virtue of grieving, for indeed by this time he was in true love and awe of God and willingly had given up all these temporal things of the upper class and which nobility had given him, and of which he had willed to sacrifice for the sake of God and His Truth. When loss and calamity came, Isaiah was very well prepared and was indeed able to die a good death unto the Lord and into eternal happiness with God the Father.

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2013 at 9:47 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q5. (Isaiah 6:5-8) What is Isaiah’s reaction to the vision? How does God deal with Isaiah’s fear? What question follows Isaiah’s cleansing? What is Isaiah’s response to God’s question? What is your response when you sense God calling you?

a.  Isaiah recognized that he too was a sinner. As He recognized God's Holiness and majesty, he said "I'm ruined". He became afraid of God and  felt completely unworthy and incapable of speaking God's words to the people.

b.  The Lord sent a Seraphim to Isaiah with a live coal from the altar to touch Isaiah's lips, saying: "Behold, this coal has touched your lips; your iniquity and guilt are taken away, and your sin is completely atoned for and forgiven. (God let Isaiah know that it was to be HIS HOLINESS, not Isaiah's righteousness which would enable him to speak to the people. (Just as Peter was humbled from his prideful boasts about his love (agape) for Jesus, then  Jesus said  after Peter admitted he only "liked (Phileo) Jesus," Feed my sheep, Tend my lambs". ( In essence, "Feed them with My love, rather than that which you lack in your own strength.)

c. Whom shall I send? And who will go for Us? (The Triune God)

d.  Here am I, send me!

e. I said "no", or "wait" a few times as a new believer out of fear.  I pray that I will not repeat that ever again when sent. I learned early on, that I can do NOTHING apart from Him. Jesus is my example in that He said the same thing. One of my favorite verses is Ps 103:14: "He knows our frame and earnestly remembers and imprints on His heart, that we are dust". (amp.) That removes the fear and pressure from me, and places the weight of the message or service upon His Almighty shoulders, then "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

• Terror and recognition of his own unholiness in the presence of holiness.
  • He removes the unholiness.
  • A nautural respose when gifted with something extremely undeserved. 
  • It depends. Sometimes I am excited and confident, other times i am "forced" to do things afraid. My respose is a desire to obey but generally with an unwilling flesh.

Isaiah is overcome by his own sense of smallness, unworthiness and sinfulness.

God cleansed his lips and his guilt is taken away and his sin atoned for.

The voice of the Lord saying who will I send and who will go for us.

Here I am. Send me.

I will make myself available to His calling.

When Isaiah compares himself to Yahweh’s holiness, might and glory he is overcome by his own sense of smallness, unworthiness, and sinfulness.  Isaiah says, "I am undone" which would be equivalent to our expression, "I'm a dead man!" In sharp contrast to Yahweh's holy character, Isaiah recognizes his sinfulness, his "unclean lips." The lips represent the expression of an unclean, unholy, un- surrendered heart.

God doesn't accept Isaiah's sinfulness as a barrier.  He has one of the Seraph’s fly with a live coal from God's fire on the altar and touches Isaiah's lips, and Yahweh declares that his sin and guilt are removed.

After Isaiah has confessed and repented of his sins and has been cleansed, God has work for him.  When God states his need for a representative to carry out his mission, Isaiah willingly volunteers.

"Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, 'Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?' And I said, 'Here am I. Send me!'" (6:8)

I must confess that many a times I have not been ready to serve God like Isaiah in the early days of my lif.  Certain tasks seem herculean and I wrestle with the thoughts that I am not big enough or good enough to carry on this mission of God.   But by God’s grace my willingness to serve him has increased and he alone gives me the grace to stand up and serve him even though I fall short many a times.  Praise the Lord.

Isaiah was grieved by the knowledge of his sinfulness in the presence of God, and the sinfulness of his people and nation of Judah in the sight of God. Yet, through the vision given he was strengthened for he no longer needed to personally grieve for his loss or the loss of his people or nation, rather and in addition to his many natural and supernatural virtues he acquired through self discipline and love of God he is now, with the grace of God enable to live the virtue of grieving, letting go of all those things and persons that otherwise might hinder him from serving the Lord completely and faithfully and thereby encouraged ever more to proclaim the "Word" of God ever more diligently.

We all must pass through many degree's of grief through out our life in this valley of tears, and this especially so after we come to the saving knowledge and love of God. Yet with the help of God and our willful learning to trust in Him and his will alone we can and will live the life God desires us to live and our life will reflect what we believe, for we are enabled through His divine grace to put this belief into practice, and when necessary even use words.    

As excellent account of grief can be found in Luke 18:18-28. Here we witness a ruler asking Jesus what one must do to enter into heaven. Jesus then says that this ruler needs to sell all he has and give this to the poor, only then will he have treasure in heaven. The ruler was grieved, for he had much worldly wealth. But not only the ruler was saddened and grieved, but so too were Jesus's own apostles. However, Jesus reaffirms the need to surrender what we imagine we have and trust in him alone. In doing so the faithful will in turn receive much more even life eternal in heaven and perfect happiness.

When we make the time and effort to learn to acquire the virtue of grieving, we will be enabled through God's grace to surrender our perceived and imaginary possessions and declare Jesus Christ as our sole and true possession, and this not by our merits, but God's merit.   

What is Isaiah’s reaction to the vision?

1.  Hearing the angles chant, Isaiah realized that he was uncleaned before the God.

How does God deal with Isaiah’s fear?

2.  God did not let Isaiah's uncleaniness becomes a barrier.  Once Isaiah confessed and repented of his sins and was cleansed, God had work for him. 

What question follows Isaiah’s cleansing?

3.  Whom shall I send and who will go for us?

What is Isaiah’s response to God’s question?

4.  Isiah's response was here I am, send me.

What is your response when you sense God calling you?
5.  My response should have been the same as Isaiah.  But I found myself resisting.  Came up with all kind of excuses.  God is still working on me!

Q5. (Isaiah 6:5-8)

What is Isaiah's reaction to the vision?

How does God deal with Isaiah's fear?

What question follows Isaiah's cleansing?

What is Isaiah's response to God's question?

This vision of God’s majesty, His Holiness, and His Glory made Isaiah realize that he was a sinner not fit to be in God’s presence. He acknowledges this by saying that he is a man of unclean lips. God then deals with Isaiah’s fear by forgiving him his sins. In a symbolic act, where a live coal touches Isaiah’s lips, the prophet’s guilt and his sin is removed. After Isaiah’s cleansing God asked, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for Us?” We note God asks this question after Isaiah has been cleansed – God does not use dirty vessels! Isaiah immediately replies “Here am I. Send me!” We see the refining fire of God at work here. It is only after we have been cleansed, that we will be able to sense God calling us. It is then that we can respond like Isaiah did. 

Q5. (Isaiah 6:5-8) What is Isaiah's reaction to the vision? How does God deal with Isaiah's fear? What question follows Isaiah's cleansing? What is Isaiah's response to God's question? What is your response when you sense God calling you?

“Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my body has felt the King, the Lord Almighty.”

but no seraphim flew to me with a live coal in his hand, still I hear the Lord saying, “telling me to launch: www.EverybodyLovesFamily.com" a family protection ministry

Isaiah was a little afraid, maybe very afraid. So should be afraid also for any sin I commit no matter how small or large; old habits need to fall away so we/I can do the Lord's work as He'd want me to, right now. I always find I didn't ask Him enough questions, and I've been trying to go too fast.

I need to slow down or maybe stop a little and hear what's next on his agenda.

Q5. (Isaiah 6:5-8) What is Isaiah’s reaction to the vision?

Isaiah realizes he is a sinful man and he laments over that.

One of God's seraphim servants touches his lips with a live coal from God's own furnace and pronounces him cleansed and forgiven.

God asks: Whom shall I send to Israel?

What is Isaiah’s response to God’s question?

Isaiah instantly volunteers!

The only times God's ever "called" me were through the requests of other people for my help and I've always gone along with any requests for help in anything I can help with.

I'll add here that we all need to develop the ability to say "No" when we're asked to do too much or we'll end up used and abused. An old friend of mine even ended up coaching a girls' netball team just because someone told him the job needed doing. He knew less than nothing about netball. That guy was busy EVERY night of the week doing the nuts and bolts work in the church. But I think he got off on feeling indispensible. He wouldn't train anyone else in the running of the church's PA system in case they asked someone else to do it! He was the drummer in my Christian band. He even rang me one day only two days out from a gig to tell me he'd been asked to run the PA for a special event Saturday night, the very same night we had a gig booked. I put my foot down and insisted he fullfill his prior obligation to us before ditching us right at the death just to scratch his indispensible itch. Wouldn't you know it? Someone else stepped up and the special event went without a hitch. From then on the guy who pitch hitted on the PA shared the duties with my friend. That should have been the case all along.

Hello folks,

Isaiah was amazed at the view of the glory of God and soon accepted his call.

When you are sure that God is in control, the success will be sure.

When I sense God calling me, I will say. Here I am. 

Q5. (Isaiah 6:5-8) What is Isaiah’s reaction to the vision?
    Isaiah trembled with fear.  No man is allowed to see God and live (Exodus 33:20) And in the awsome presence of the Lord, he recognized the depth of his sinfulness.    “Woe is me, for I am ruined.”  

God has compassion.  He provided cleansing for Isaiah.    With his confession of unclean lips made and his sin cleansed by the seraphim’s action, there is no longer any barrier between Isaiah and God.

“Who should I send?  Who will go for Us?”

What is Isaiah’s response to God’s question?   Isaiah was ready.   He accepted the call and responded “Here I am.  Send me.”

What is your response when you sense God calling you?   I’m willing.  Too often in the past my response was hesitant and I missed opportunities.   I’m a better listener now, though still not as quick to respond as I should.

Q5. (Isaiah 6:5-8) What is Isaiah's reaction to the vision? I am reminded of (Gen. 18:26-27) Abraham who in his humility, a man who understood his own unrighteousness was that of dust and ashes, asked God to spare Sodom, and Moses when he asked the LORD, how will Pharaoh

hearken to me, a man of uncircumcised lips, and now we hear Isaiah, who after seeing the exalted King, the LORD of host say, "Woe is me, I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean - There is no hiding from God, God sees our hearts, He knows who we are, it is important that we also see who we are.

How does God deal with Isaiah's fear? God sent one of the seraphim’s having a live coal taken from of the altar in heaven and laid it upon Isaiah's mouth, touching his lips, giving to Isaiah his own personal Day of Atonement, being touched by the King of host calmed the soul of Isaiah, building up his FAITH.

What question follows Isaiah's cleansing? Isaiah heard the voice of the LORD asking, "Whom shall I send, and who will go for us"?

What is Isaiah's response to God's question? Isaiah's response was prompt as he said, "I am here, send me".

What is your response when you sense God calling you? My hearts calling is to "Fear God" and to follow after His commandments, a light before my path; it is the least I can do after having the coal from heaven, God's Son, touching my lips, bringing "ATONEMENT" to my soul.

Q5. (Isaiah 6:5-8) What is Isaiah's reaction to the vision? How does God deal with Isaiah's fear? What question follows Isaiah's cleansing? What is Isaiah's response to God's question? What is your response when you sense God calling you?

Isaiah's reaction after seeing the glorious, holy and awesome God was that of fear that a sinful man like him had seen God and lived. he declared himself as a man with unclean lips.

But God touched his lips with a coal of fire to cleans him - sign of forgiveness of sin.

God asked of anyone available to be sent for some assignment and,

Isaiah said, here I am Lord, send me. He made himself available, a challenge to us.

I ( and most Christians) are like Jonah, the first reaction when we hear God calling is to hide ourselves or give many excuses why it should be some else and not us.

What is Isaiah's reaction to the vision?

Isaiah felt that he was not worthy of his vision, he felt like being humiliated because of his inequities and transgressions to God.

How does God deal with Isaiah's fear?

God sent one of His seraph to Isaiah and using a live coal and by touching the lip of Isaiah, he cleanse him of his unrighteousness.

What question follows Isaiah's cleansing?

Whom shall I send?

What is Isaiah's response to God's question?

Here I am Lord, send me.

Like Isaiah, I will also feel awkward, feeling not worthy of Gods calling because of my wickedness and unrighteousness, maybe hesitant and will ask God to wait for sometime or consider another who is far worthy than me.

Isaiah has seen God and believes he is as good as dead since he is fearful, humbled, with a sense of guilt and worthlessness.

Yet, God cleansed Isaiah from his guilt and sin.

God asks who wll go and proclaim His message, and Isaiah willingly offers his service.

When we experience this same moment, we feel overwhelmingly joyful and blessed to serve God--however, if we do not proceed with a servant's heart, a dependence on God, and a constant connection to His Holy Spirit, then one will become fearful an d rationalize why they cannot continue to serve God.