JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Unto Us a Son Is Born

• 1 month later...

What in the text convinces us that the Child/Son is the Messiah himself?  He is everything for everything; He is "all that." He is just like God.

What do you learn about the Messiah from the four word pairs describing him? He is everything we need. He is all-encompassing

Which of these saving attributes do you need most in your life right now?  To relax in the knowledge and belief that with God, nothing is impossible; He is awesome!  He is the master of this realm. He is all-encompassing peace.

Because he is called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. He will reign on David's throne. Telling of a future time.

that the "Spirit of counsel" will rest upon the Messiah(Wonderful Counselor)

This Child is identified with Yahweh himself (Mighty God)

That this Child, this Son, will be divine -- he is very closely identified with Yahweh himself(Everlasting Father)

He, the child,is the chief bringer of reconciliation, peace, fulfillment, and wholeness. He is the master of this realm. If you want this kind of all-encompassing peace, you come to him.(Prince of Peace)

the one I need right now in my life is Wonderful Counselor.

When we see the Son we see the Father. The Wonderful-Councilor / Prince of Peace / Mighty God / God Hero are one and the same person, namely Jesus Christ.

The peace the world offers interests me little to not at all. Therefore the Wonderful-Councilor is the Prince of Peace and His identity is "Son of God" and His name is Jesus the Christ. It is He whom I desire.

• It says He will be seated on David's throne.

I gained new insight when reading about Jesus - I can see these descriptions.

• Wonderful Counselor - His teaching and authority amazed people.

Might God - He certainly became our "hero," and the strength it took to humble Himself to the treatment He endured and then death...

• My well used prayer - "Thank you Lord for saving me from myself."

Everlasting Father - The deapth of His compassion is evident when He interats with people. 

Price of Peace - "It is finished." - He completed and fullfiled prophecies. And by His death and His reasurrection He brought reconcillation.

Prince of Peace - something aches inside me to fully experience wholeness - consistently. I want to dwell in "promised land."

In the text, I find that this child is the one who will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom. He is described as Mighty God, Everlasting Father. He is "the" divine child our Messiah. I have learned that Jesus is the child to be born.

"For to us a Child is born, to us a Son is given.

And the government will be on His shoulders.

And He will be called Wonderful Counselor

Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."

Wonderful Counselor: marvelous designs and decrees, wonder that awakens and astonishes men.

Mighty God: To prevail, be mighty, have strength, Warrior God. Identified with God Himself.

Everlasting Father: Eternally a Father to His people. Awards His people, supplies their needs, Shepherds. " I am the good Shepherd."

Prince of Peace: Ruler, governor, chief bringer of reconciliation, fulfillment and wholeness.The Master of this realm.

Which of these attributes do I most need now?

Prince of Peace. Peace, prosperity, wellness, health, completeness and safety. On this road of sanctification, I desire to trust Him more, submit to His care,rest in Him, become more complete in Him and find absolute safety and peace in Him.

Q3. (Isaiah 9:6-7) What in the text convinces us that the Child/Son is the Messiah himself?

Verses six and seven are about the most complete description of the Messiah we can find in the whole of Scripture. The four titles by which He will be known leave no doubt as to the divinity of the Child/Son who will be born according to this prophecy. Verse seven describes in glorious detail the everlasting Kingdom the Messiah will establish. This Child, described here, will not be a temporary peace maker. He will be God Himself, come in a miraculous way, and He will rule forever.

What do you learn about the Messiah from the four word pairs describing him?

Wonderful Counsellor means that He will have wisdom that will astonish the world. He will judge the nations. He will also give guidance. We see a reference here to the Holy Spirit's role as Counsellor. In those days they probably didn't understand exactly what that meant, but today we know the Holy Spirit and His role as our ultimate Counsellor.

The use of the words Mighty God remove any doubt that the Messiah will be anyone but Yahweh Himself because that title is used of Him and Him alone in Scripture.

Everlasting Father reveals that He will be the Father of not just Israel but all who claim Him forever. The link between the words Father and shepherd in the Bible when describing Him shows us that He will shepherd His people forever. Jesus called Himself the Good Shepherd.

Prince of Peace tells us that He will usher in Peace and that He will be the One to maintain it.

Put those four incredible titles together and you have the description of God reigning in Christ over mankind.

Which of these saving attributes do you need most in your life right now?

For me personally, the Counsellor is what I need most. Personal peace in my heart would be another of God's attributes that I depend on daily. Also, I struggle with father issues because mine was far from ideal when I was growing up. I kind of taught myself right from wrong with the help of Sunday School teachers. I got no moral guidance of any kind from my earthy father. To my mind a father deals out punishment and that's about it. I tried the very best I could to be nothing like my father when I raised my daughter.

The text saying that the son is mighty God, and that his government and peace has no end and that He will reign on David’s throne establishing and upholding it with justice and righteousness forevermore convinces us that the child is the messiah himself.

Wonderful Counselor - The "Spirit of counsel" will rest upon the Messiah. This Son will possess counsel to be wondered at, as the Wisdom of Solomon amazed people in his day.  Mighty God - The Messiah is mighty strong, valiant.   This Child is identified with Yahweh himself.  Everlasting Father - This Child, this Son, will be divine -- he is very closely identified with Yahweh himself, he is the one who is eternally a Father to his people. Now and forever he guards his people and supplies their needs.  Prince of Peace - He is the chief bringer of reconciliation, peace, fulfillment, and wholeness.

While I need all the saving attributes of my messiah every moment of my life I am seeking his counsel and wisdom desperately in certain areas of my life.

Not only verses 6 and 7, but previous verses in chapter nine point to Christ the Messiah. The Messiah is declared to start his message in land of Galilee (just as Jesus did) and will bright light (spiritually) out of darkness. Due to His victorious presence, the joy of all the nation will increase. Furthermore, He will be of and sit on the throne of David, where He reigns peacefully and eternally. His might and battle will be empowered by God and God alone.

The Messiah is wisebeyond human understanding, a caring ruler who will Shepard his sheep, all-powerful, and keeper of Peace.

At times I wish I had total peace especially when external forces attempt to tear and dislodge my relationship with God. At these times, turn and cry out to Jesus!

Q3. (Isaiah 9:6-7)

What in the text convinces us that the Child/Son is the Messiah himself?

We read about our Lord Jesus Christ, in both His humanity “a child is born” and His Deity “a Son is given”; who will reign in righteousness and justice from David’s throne. In 2 Samuel 7:16, God had promised David that his dynasty and throne would be established forever. Here we will see that the promise will be fulfilled literally when Jesus comes. The descriptive names reveal His character.

Wonderful Counselor. All nations will listen to Him as the authoritative One – He will teach God’s ways. He will give sound guidance to His people as He is the teacher of all truth.

Mighty God. Meaning that the Messiah does only what God can do. He will be God with us, here on earth.

Everlasting Father. The Father and the Son are one and both have the same attributes. He will exist for eternity. He will provide direction and love only as a Heavenly Father ca. We must also remember that He is the source of life.

Prince of Peace. The One who will initiate and maintain the peace. We see our Heavenly Father’s purpose of bringing joy, peace, and the hope of salvation to every part of the world. This is in stark contrast to the present situation of a world at war. I think it this attribute that we all need mostly in our lives right now. 

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2013 at 9:51 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (Isaiah 9:6-7) What in the text convinces us that the Child/Son is the Messiah himself? What do you learn about the Messiah from the four word pairs describing him? Which of these saving attributes do you need most in your life right now?

a.  Prophecy declared Messiah would be born, both human and Deity, having no end, yet always having existed. The Text makes all of those clear that Jesus, the child born is the Messiah who would sit on David's throne.

b.  Wonderful Counselor: He is Omniscient. He knows all there is to know about all there is to know! Nothing is hidden from Him. Nothing it to huge or too trivial for Him. 

Mighty God: He is Omnipotent...all powerful. He created the Universe (is even now creating), upholds it all on His shoulders.

Everlasting Father: His heart is love. He's the perfect Father Who lives forever and will never leave his children for one second alone.

Prince of Peace: He IS peace, willing and able to still all my fears, and to keep me on a stable path with His quiet strength.

c.  I need His Comfort and Peace to quell the "stuff" going on in just about every area of my life...aging,  health issues, family division, provision, change, loss, family deaths, grief and sorrow.

(Isaiah 9:6-7) What in the text convinces us that the Child/Son is the Messiah himself? What do you learn about the Messiah from the four word pairs describing him? Which of these saving attributes do you need most in your life right now?

Verses 6, 7 could only be talking about God who is the Messiah.

Wonderful Counselor:  His wisdom will be so great as to be mysterious

Mighty God(El Gibbor): This is the same name as God pointing to the divinity of the Messiah

Everlasting Father: means Messiah is eternal and as a father

Prince of Peace: says that Messiah will be the king of peace, well being, harmony

My father died when I was 5 and my stepfather died a few years ago so I feel that I need Everlasting Father.  Someone on whom I can lean on, talk to, ask advice of and receive the unconditional love we so need.  Someone on whom I can see His smiling face as I run to Him.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

Isaiah 9:6-7
Q). What in the text convinces us that the Child/Son is the Messiah himself?
A). The reference to Matthew 4:12-14 convinces us that the Child/Son is the Messiah himself: "When Jesus heard that John had been put in prison, he returned to Galilee. Leaving Nazareth, he went and lived in Capernaum, which was by the lake in the area of Zebulun and Naphtali -- to fulfill what was said through the prophet Isaiah."
#
Q). What do you learn about the Messiah from the four word pairs describing him?
A). The four word pairs describing him are:
    1. (Wonderful Counsellor) This Son will possess counsel to be wondered at.
    2. (Mighty God) This Child is identified with Yahweh himself.
    3. (Everlasting Father) He is the one who is eternally a Father to his people. The concepts of fathering and shepherding a people are very close to each other. Jesus' statement, "I am the good shepherd" (John 10:11, 14) captures the heart of this idea.
    4. (Prince of Peace) The "Prince of Peace" is the chief bringer of reconciliation, peace, fulfillment, and wholeness. He is the master of this realm. If you want this kind of all-encompassing peace, you come to him.
#
Q). Which of these saving attributes do you need most in your life right now?
A). The saving attribute that I need right now is "Prince of Peace"

Q3. (Isaiah 9:6-7) What in the text convinces us that the Child/Son is the Messiah himself?  

His "NAME" is what convinces me, his name distinguishes him from all others, his name is his fingerprint, a sign from God that reveals characteristics that are above all excellence, merit, and virtue, qualities that only the humble, those who have hears that hear would understand, could only be that of the Messiah.

Wonderful - which means "miracle" a marvelous thing. 

Counselor - The "Spirit of counsel" will rest upon the Messiah, this cometh forth from the LORD of hosts, which is wonderful in counsel, excellent in working, beyond human capabilities, a marvelous thing!

Mighty God - There is only one who has the characteristics of the Almighty God and that is the Child/Son, the promised Messiah who one day will "PREVAIL" over all powers and bring "PEACE".

Everlasting Father - Almighty God's throne is forever and ever: The role a father displays is that of "HEADSHIP" - the Child/Son is under the "headship" of His Father and as prophesied he will sit on the throne of David, for the scepter of his kingdom is a right scepter, just as The Father is, the Child/Son excels in all excellencies, perfect in character, beauty, and love, therefore He will shepherd his people unto a kingdom of righteousness.

Prince of Peace - A Prince represents the head person in charge, and it is the Prince who will bring to fulfillment the state of wholeness and unity, restoring "PEACE" that results in prosperity, wellness, health, and safety, for "PEACE" and "RIGHTOUSNES" is the master of this realm.

I need all of these saving attributes, for it is in them that I will find counseling that leads to true "PEACE" - peace is where my heart longs to be.

Q3. (Isaiah 9:6-7) What in the text convinces us that the Child/Son is the Messiah himself? What do you learn about the Messiah from the four word pairs describing him? Which of these saving attributes do you need most in your life right now?

He is the messiah Himself because He is described in the passage as the "mighty God, everlasting Father," 

The Messiah is the Prince of peace= through Him and in Him we and the whole world can attain peace

He is the Mighty God= He is the Great God of war, strong and might to fight and win battles for us.

Wonderful Counsellor= His plans and wisdom are unusual, awesome  and divine and cause some to wonder about such awesome attributes.

I need all the attributes of the Messiah.

Everything.  Though the reference to a child being given might well point to Isaiah’s son, it certainly points to the Son of God also.   The government will be on His shoulders (see Isa 22:22).  And then there are the Names of the Lord–Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace.   Then in verse 7 ... His dominion will be vast...the prosperity will never end; He will reign on the throne of David...forever.

His wisdom is beyond our comprehension; He is God; Father; the source of Peace.

My first response to this question would be: How can I possibly select one attribute of the Lord for my current need?  
    In the spirit of the question, however, I choose Wonderful Counselor.  My walk with the Lord, at this point, is trying to live in a deep-water fellowship with Him.  The experience Peter had of walking on water (until he looked away from Jesus) and the exhilaration of that total dependence has always captured my heart.   Then last year a brother in my church told us about a dream  he had that too many church members were living, and dying, in water too shallow to sustain them.   I felt I was one of those people.  So I told the Lord I wanted that total dependence, I wanted to ‘walk on water’ and, after some time, He said “Come.”  I have no idea where He will lead me; I’m taking it one day at a time, and loving it.   

Q3 a). (Isaiah 9:6-7) What in the text convinces us that the Child/Son is the Messiah himself?

His “Name” prophetically speaks of Jesus , the Messiah, no one else can have a name “God with us” and  “  the government will be on his shoulders.”.this includes the “millennium reign” and also the reign in the “age to come” forever and ever  as he will be of the line of David and sit on his throne.

b)What do you learn about the Messiah from the four word pairs describing him?

i)                Mighty God …describes him as an all powerful warrior who can conquer all in war …He is identified as God accompanied by his  heavenly army of angels and is able to overthrow any nation.

ii)             Wonderful Counsellor  …indicates him as a unique person with astounding wisdom more than that possessed by Solomon:.one whose plans purposes designs and decress are marvellous

Iii)        Everlasting Father ..indiacates he is one essence with the Father God and  there is perpetuation of his presence through the future

iv)           Prince of Peace….an authority and presence which will give a wholesome

c) Which of these saving attributes do you need most in your life right now?

I need the peace which passes all understanding..an inner strength in times of stress/anxiety /turmoil  a calm and serene constituition….come what may

1.  When the scripture says that He will sit on David's throne forever and that there will be no end to His reigning. 

2.  He is to be the perfect ruler with all wisdom and strength as well as called "everlasting Father and Prince of Peace".

3.  I believe that I need most the wisdom that is from above, to guide me in my life every day.

I love this passage!  My sister and I always have a fond memory of singing the section of Handel's Messiah where these words are used.   it plays in my head through the Christmas holiday.  I love it.   Handel was really inspired when he wrote that.  Amazing music that catches the grandeur and majesty of the Son of God.

So....c) Which of these saving attributes do you need most in your life right now?

Oh I need them ALL!  Thank you Jesus for being wonderful counselor, Almighty God, everlasting Father, and prince of peace.  Hallelujah!

What in the text convinces us that the Child/Son is the Messiah himself?

1.  Because we are told that he will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom.  He is described as mighty God, everlasting Father.

2.  He is wonderful, counselor,a mighty God, everlasting Father and Prince of Peace.

3.  Prince of Peace.  The world is in a turmoil and I need his peace.

The titles describing the child -- Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace all infer a divine being.  Isaiah states that the child will rule with fairness and justice from the throne of David for all eternity and that his government and its peace will never end.  This can only be the Messiah -- Jesus the Christ.  This passage of scripture describes no other person in human history.  Only Jesus fits this prophecy.  There is no human-being capable of ruling with fairness and justice for all eternity.  That is God's realm. 

The four word pairs reveal that the Messiah is all wise, is God, and is peace loving.  He will rule with fairness and justice to all.  God is fair and just to all. 

I need wisdom and an everlasting Father in my life to be like my father in heaven.

The titles describing the child -- Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace all infer a divine being.  Isaiah states that the child will rule with fairness and justice from the throne of David for all eternity and that his government and its peace will never end.  This can only be the Messiah -- Jesus the Christ.  This passage of scripture describes no other person in human history.  Only Jesus fits this prophecy.  There is no human-being capable of ruling with fairness and justice for all eternity.  That is God's realm. 

The four word pairs reveal that the Messiah is all wise, is God, and is peace loving.  He will rule with fairness and justice to all.  God is fair and just to all. 

All of these. As a young adult i will need Jesus through my whole life as i make decisions and further my relationship with him.