JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Isaiah's Sign of Nakedness

• 1 month later...

Q2. (Isaiah 20) Why did God command Isaiah to go naked for three years? Isaiah's nakedness is to be a constant reminder to Judah not to rely on Egypt, that Assyria will attack Egypt and carry off captives, who were often stripped just as Isaiah was. And that's just what happened.

What was its meaning? THEIR SOLDIERS WOULD BE LED AWAY WITH THEIR BUTTOCKS BARED.

What effect did this acted prophecy have on Judah’s foreign policy? In the Battle of Eltekeh in 701 BC, the army of Assyrian king Sennacherib (705-681 BC) met Egyptian forces, which were defeated and Judah would see streams of naked prisoners of war from Egypt/Ethiopia heading north to be resettled in other lands by the Assyrian victors.

If you were Isaiah, would you have obeyed God? IT IS HARD TO GUESS; MY DESIRE IS ALWAYS TO PLEASE GOD, HOWEVER, UNLIKE ISAIAH, THE LACK OF A MESSAGE OF CLARITY DIRECTLY FROM GOD WOULD CLOUD MY JUDGEMENT.

The Hezekiah and his people of Judah and Jerusalem were to remain faithful to God alone and place no confidence in their own will. God has everything under control, in fact Egypt will itself be conquered by Assyria and its captives enslaved taken as booty naked.

Hezekiah befriended and trust in both God and His servant Isaiah, therefore did not make any alliance with Egypt or other nations.

Well, if I were to see a naked person especially a friend making what looked like a spectacle of them selves, it might be hard to discern whether this person is indeed in his right mind or not. However, if on the other hand I was moved by God's grace and enabled to recognize and understand what and who my friend actually is in regards to God and my beliefs, then I would like to believe I would be trusting despite the appearances of my friend.

This is not unlike what St. Francis of Assisi experienced and did, going about naked forsaking all the allurements of this world and those of the upper-classes and aristocracies. Most were repelled by this behavior, but those who moved by grace from God befriended him and in due course indeed changed the Church and the Christian world on to a path which served and sought a closer and more perfected way of serving, knowing and loving God.  

Isaiah's nakedness was to represent the fate of the Egyptians and any other allies who choose to fight against Assyria. God wanted Isaiah actions to reinforce the fact that God is the nation of Judah's only hope of deliverance--choosing to side with earthly alliances will only bring shame and captivity. The prophecy will be fulfilled while they nation of Judah is temporarily spared.

Hezekiah's faithfulness to God and his religious reforms (mentioned in 2 Chronicles 29 to 31) are met with a fierce invasion from Assyria. Eventually Hezekiah remains faithful to God and Judah is spared even though the city of Lachish is demolished

I would have to be deeply faithful and humbled to perform this action for God..

Q2. (Isaiah 20) Why did God command Isaiah to go naked for three years?

God told Isaiah to go naked for three years as a visible ever present warning to the king and his advisors not to form an alliance with Egypt and Cush. When prisoners were being led away from their homeland into captivity very often the conquering nation would strip them naked as a sign that they had been completely and utterly conquered.

What was its meaning?

In Old Testament times it wasn't uncommon for prophets to exhibit bizzarre behavior. God would get them to do all manner of strange things to act out what He was wanting to tell the people. Marrying whores, going about naked, shaving heads and beards, wearing different clothing, giving their children strange names, burying stuff in the ground, etc, were all in a day's work for a prophet of the Lord. This time Isaiah was told to go naked for three years as a sign that in three years the power of Egypt would be completely broken and their people led away naked in captivity.

What effect did this acted prophecy have on Judah’s foreign policy?

Hezekiah didn't ally with Egypt but his successor must have. Hezekiah was an exceptionally righteous king who stood out from the pack as far as his devotion to God was conderned. Too bad his successor didn't follow Hezekiah's good example.

If you were Isaiah, would you have obeyed God?

I don't know. I hope that I'll never be put in the position where I'll be asked to do that. The devotion to God shown by His prophets was way out of the ordinary.

Q2. (Isaiah 20)

Why did God command Isaiah to go naked for three years?

What was its meaning?

What effect did this acted prophecy have on Judah's foreign policy?

This was a warning by God to the people of Judah not to put their trust in Egypt for protection against Assyria. By walking naked and barefoot Isaiah served as a reminder of God’s warning. This acted prophecy should have warned Judah not to count on foreign alliances to protect them. I doubt if God, who created me, and knows me inside out, would ever command me to carry out this command – I’m too reserved and introverted for this.

I found the explanation about prisoners being led away naked very interesting. I could never understand why the prophet went naked.

As for myself, i think i would have aasked God a few times whether i understoof the command correctly before i would have done it.

• As a reminder for Judah to not trust in Egypt - we are a forgetful people. (Some trusts in chariots and horses but we will trust in the name of the lord my God)

That prisoners from Egypt would be stripped and naked.

King Hezekiah did not join the rebellion, however Judah later did.

If I were Isaiah - yes - To have an absolute clarity of God speaking and seeing and experiencing the things Isaiah did with God already - then yes.. But if God were to ask me that today - I don't think so. There is too much "guessing" sometimes when hearing God speak.

An important note: Egypt can be and is understood as a symbol of the world.

As Moses faithfully obeyed God and led the Hebrews out of Egypt (the world) into a new beginning and life, the Egyptians gladly and desirously gave the Hebrews plunder just so that they would leave them, thereby the Hebrews through the power and authority of God plundered the super-power of their world. 

Further, as Egypt is a symbol of the world, believers of the one true God are never to place their trust or confidence in the world.

Later, as the Hebrews wander in the deserts of Sinai and sin they yearn to return to the world even to the point of murmuring against God and His chosen leaders Moses and Aaron. God isn't pleased with this and desires to destroy them and would have if their leader and even their father in the faith Moses did not intercede on their behalf. 

In like manner we witness many believers today desirous of returning to the world and participating in worldly affairs. God never changes and today God isn't pleased with secularized Christians.

We as Christians must always remain obedient to God and His chosen leader, father, papa and church, to do anything less is disobedience and therefore will not benefit us nor please God.  

Q2. (Isaiah 20) Why did God command Isaiah to go naked for three years? What was its meaning? What effect did this acted prophecy have on Judah's foreign policy? If you were Isaiah, would you have obeyed God?

To remind Judah not to rely on Egypt that would soon be defeated by Assyria and the captives would be stripped naked as Isaiah was.

The prophesy came to pass as Judah saw Egyptians being carried naked and it dawned on her that Egypt could not be relied upon.

To strip and walk naked like Isaiah did takes extra ordinary grace to comply. I am not sure if I would have obeyed but this is what is expected of us to do- obey God even if it seems disgraceful or does not make sense. This is what faith and obedience is all about.

Isaiah 20
Q). Why did God command Isaiah to go naked for three years?
A). The Lord sends Isaiah with a somewhat bizarre command -- to strip down for three years as an acted prophecy.
#
Q). What was its meaning?
A). Isaiah's nakedness is to be a constant reminder to Judah not to rely on Egypt, that Assyria will attack Egypt and carry off captives, who were often stripped just as Isaiah was. And that's just what happened.
#
Q). What effect did this acted prophecy have on Judah's foreign policy?
A). Apparently, Judah's king Hezekiah did not join the rebellion, since Judah suffered no reprisals in 711 BC. But later (unknown date) Judah had joined in the rebellion against Assyria and has suffered an invasion by Assyria that conquered all her fortified cities except Jerusalem itself.
#
Q). If you were Isaiah, would you have obeyed God?
A). No! But saying no would have caused me to break my vow to God when I said "Here am I, send me". Therefore, the lesson learned is for me to be careful what I ask for. I just might get it and all that goes with it.

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2013 at 9:56 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (Isaiah 20) Why did God command Isaiah to go naked for three years? What was its meaning? What effect did this acted prophecy have on Judah’s foreign policy? If you were Isaiah, would you have obeyed God?

a.  Isaiah was to be a "visual aid" to God's people...a prophecy of what was to come as a consequence of their unbelief in God. A warning that continued stubborn disobedience would result in their being stripped of everything.

b.  It was meant to demonstrate that Egypt was a poor substitute for God...that Egypt was going to be defeated by the Assyrian King, and his Egyptian and Ethiopian captives and exiles were going to be led away naked and barefoot, "even with their buttocks uncovered", which was the ultimate in degradation! I recall that David's men suffered the same humiliation, and how horrified David was.

c.  It appears that they heeded Isaiah's warning.

d. I've thought many times about the weird things God asked His prophets to do...such as Isaiah walking about naked, and Ezekiel shaving his head and beard, dividing the hair in thirds, and burning one third, striking a third with the sword, and scattering a third to the wind, or God "taking away from Ezekiel the desire of his eyes (his wife) with one stroke, yet "you shall neither mourn nor weep neither shall your tears flow, sigh and groan but not aloud", and Ezekiel obeying God by not mourning when his wife died, as he "was commanded" ....his wife's death a sign to Israel.

I'd like to believe that I would obey...but only God knows "my frame and that I am dust". (Psalm 103:14) He's asked some very difficult things of me, such as giving up our home and being stripped of dignity, being penniless and totally dependent upon Him for the next piece of bread, homeless, but being taken in by strangers for a year and a half, losing our business and income, etc. and He has been glorified in all of it, so I'd like to believe that if He asked me to walk about naked, He'd give me the same grace that I've received every day of my walk with Him. He promises strength for the journey and I receive it every day....I just hope He doesn't ask! :)

Q2. (Isaiah 20) Why did God command Isaiah to go naked for three years? What was its meaning? What effect did this acted prophecy have on Judah's foreign policy? If you were Isaiah, would you have obeyed God?

As a sign to Judah that only God has power to save and deliver.  I read that under sack cloth was some sort of shirt so it is probable that Isaiah was not totally unclothed.  However it would have been an act of great self humiliation in obedience to God for His sake and His glory alone.

They remained faithful to God.

I hope so!

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

God commanded Isaiah to go naked for three years to be a constant, visible reminder of the fate of Egypt and Cush (Ethiopia) and any of their allies if they fought Assyria.  So for three years Isaiah dressed like a prisoner of war as a warning to the people that those who make Egypt their hope will be dismayed and shamed  when the Assyrians lead the captives out naked and barefoot, with bared buttocks.

In the beginning, Judah heeded the warning and they were not attacked by Assyria, but by the time the prophecy was fulfilled, Judah had given in and as a result was attacked.

If I were Isaiah, would I obey God?   Could I shame myself publicly for three years?   I am assured that when God asks us to do something, He always gives us the strength to do it.  That said,  I quake at the thought.  To do what Isaiah did, I’d be on my knees before God pleading for  strength moment by moment, but only after I’d offered my insufficiency for the task and perhaps suggested others who were better suited.    If that sounds weak, consider exactly what Isaiah did!  Would you dress, or undress, as Isaiah did and go to work?  to a restaurant?  to the grocery store? go for a walk in the park?  Would you even be allowed to enter any or all of those places?  He couldn’t be an example if he hid inside his home 24/7.  He was out there in public.   I pray to God that if He wants me to emulate Isaiah, He would not let my faith fail me.

God commanded Isaiah to take off the sackcloth from his body and the sandals from his feet and go around stripped and barefoot. 

Isaiah's nakedness was to be a constant reminder to Judah not to rely on Egypt.  That Assyria will attack Egypt and carry off captives, who were often stripped just as Isaiah was. And that's just what happened.

In the beginning Judah’s king Hezekiah did not join the rebellion, but later Judah had joined in the rebellion against Assyria and has suffered an invasion by Assyria that conquered all her fortified cities except Jerusalem itself.

I believe God would not ask me to do exactly what he had asked Isaiah to do, but definitely there are times when God asks me to do something which I feel is a shameful act to do in front of others who would laugh at me.  There are sometimes when I have been willing to endure shame for Christ’s sake and times when I have felt ashamed to obey God’s commands with the fear of people laughing at me and calling me a fool.  I sincerely pray that God will bless me with that zeal which Isaiah had for the Lord and this will take very radical obedience to God.   I am really humbled reading this episode of Isaiah’s life.  If i live such a obedient life to God as Isaiah did, then God would give me the grace to go through the shame Isaiah went through.

Q2. (Isaiah 20) Why did God command Isaiah to go naked for three years, and what was its meaning?

By removing this garment, an emblem of mourning, a sign and prophesy to the Egyptians, that some time in these three years,  judgment, a time of mourning would be coming to them.

What effect did this acted prophecy have on Judah's foreign policy?

It was an eye opener that brought great shame to them for putting their faith and trust in godless nations instead of in their LORD.

I pray that I would have had the same heart of obedience to the calling of God as Isaiah did for his country, and today I pray for strength and courage to walk in obedience to the calling of God, as I see the direction our country is going the same way, America is not putting their trust in the LORD, and I fear that judgment is coming.

God was using Isaiah as a "visual aid" so Judah could see what would happen if they relied on Egypt for strength as opposed to God's strength.

Isaiah's nakedness was to be a constant reminder to Judah to not rely on Egypt. If they did, the outcome would not be good and they would see captives carried off, stripped naked just as Isaiah was.

In the end, Judah's King Hezekiah did not join in the rebellion and suffered no reprisals.

Yikes! If I were Isaiah would I have obeyed God? Yes....if I was "Isaiah" I obviously would have....but I'm just Julie and though I've been obedient to God to do things I really questioned in my small little mind, I've always been struck with wonder at the outcome....but that said...He has never asked me to walk around naked, so I'm leaving it at that. I'll cross that bridge if I ever get to it (praying not to) and I'll trust in His strength to see me through if it happens!

What a question! :)

1.  God was using the person of Isaiah as a picture of what would happen to those in Judah if they did not follow God.  Prisoner of war are stripped of their clothing so they feel shame and humiliated.

2.  They tried to follow God, but they were too much into the pagan worship of other nations.  They trusted in other nations to help them instead of God.

3.  I would hope that I would have the faith to do whatever God told me to do.

Isaiah was commanded by God to go naked just a symbol to show the people of Judah what would be consequence if they had not trusted their God instead trusted the help of pagan kings.

Judah did listen to the warning given by God through Isaiah but later failed to obey God's command and was attacked and destroyed by Assyria.

A tough question to answer indeed! A shameful act before men but a wise thing in God's eyes. A contradictory act to be noticed by men and to ashamed of because of the shame one has to face is terrible! if i am called by the Lord almighty to do what isaiah did i will seek his strength and grace in the face of shame and mockery and trusting in his comfort alone would step out to do what he commands! The joy is that i have obeyed God and because of his love for me i can endure the shame and mockery of men. i pray God gives us the grace to follow him like Isaiah.

God commanded Isaiah to go naked for 3 years: It was a sign of what was going to happen to Egypt and Cush, they would be captured.

The meaning was: The Egyptian and the Cushite were captured and led away with buttocks bared.

The effect of this acted of prophecy was: Judah did not alined itself with Egypt against the Assyrian, and was spared when Egypt was attacked by Assyria.

Would I have obeyed if I was Isaiah? "But God?" "But God?" I probably would have been like Gideon.

JUDGES 6:36-40 Gideon asked God for a sign using the 'WOOL FLEECE' for answers. I will say some of my worst nightmares, was dreaming I was naked in front of a large crowd of people.

"Father God in the name of JESUS CHRIST our Lord, please give us the courage to do your will and follow all your commands." AMEN.

Q2. (Isaiah 20) Why did God command Isaiah to go naked for three years? What was its meaning? What effect did this acted prophecy have on Judah’s foreign policy? If you were Isaiah, would you have obeyed God?

It was a sign or symbol for the terrible troubles God was going to bring on Egypt in the future.  This acted prophecy, given about 711 BC, was designed to keep Judah from aligning itself with Egypt against Assyria.  Isaiah's nakedness is to be a constant reminder to Judah not to rely on Egypt, that Assyria will attack Egypt and carry off captives, who were often stripped just as Isaiah was. And that's just what happened.

In the long run Judah didn't heed Isaiah's prophecy, they would eventually join the rebellion against Assyria and Assyria would conquer all of Judah except Jerusalem.

If I was Isaiah I would have obeyed God.  God prepared Isaiah for his period of prophecy.  I believe after God permitted Isaiah to see His throne room and cleansed him from sin, he was totally in awe of God and would have done anything for God.  Isaiah had seen the truth and reality of God. 

It was a sign or symbol for the terrible troubles God was going to bring on Egypt in the future.  This acted prophecy, given about 711 BC, was designed to keep Judah from aligning itself with Egypt against Assyria.  Isaiah's nakedness is to be a constant reminder to Judah not to rely on Egypt, that Assyria will attack Egypt and carry off captives, who were often stripped just as Isaiah was. And that's just what happened.

In the long run Judah didn't heed Isaiah's prophecy, they would eventually join the rebellion against Assyria and Assyria would conquer all of Judah except Jerusalem.

If I was Isaiah I would have obeyed God.  God prepared Isaiah for his period of prophecy.  I believe after God permitted Isaiah to see His throne room and cleansed him from sin, he was totally in awe of God and would have done anything for God.  Isaiah had seen the truth and reality of God. 

• 2 weeks later...

He wanted to give Israel a sign.

It was to remind Israel to not depend upon Egypt for assistance.

They heeded God's sign & weren't included in the defeat of Egypt.

I would like to think I would be so close to God that I would obey Him at all costs.