JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. The Prayer of a Righteous Man

• 2 months later...

(Isaiah 38:3) What is the basis on which Hezekiah asks for healing? HE COULD NOT PRAISE GOD IF HE WERE DEAD.

Why is personal righteousness and holiness important in getting your prayers answered? YOU MUST HAVE A HEART TO SERVE GOD EVEN IF NOT PERFECTLY.

How can unrighteousness prevent answered prayer if all gifts from God are by grace anyway?  THE HEART TO SERVE MUST BE THERE.

Q4. (Isaiah 38:3) What is the basis on which Hezekiah asks for healing? Why is personal righteousness and holiness important ingetting your prayers answered? How can unrighteousness prevent answered prayer ifall gifts from God are by grace anyway?

He reminded God that he was faithful and

obedient. He seeked the will of God.

We have to faithful be children of God if written want our prayers to be answered. A true believer will follow the guidance of the Holy Spirit. Thus he will do the will of God. A true believer will also undergo sanctification a.nd thus become more holy and righteous.

God rewards faithfulness. Yet He is in control. We must remember He is in control and do as He sees fit. He also answers all prayer, sometimes the answer is no.

Q4. (Isaiah 38:3) What is the basis on which Hezekiah asks for healing?

Hezekiah asks for healing

a)......The prayers of a righteous man availeth much. James 5:16b

B)...... he appealed for a descendant in accordance with the promise to David who was told his line would endure for ever. 2 Samuel 7 ;11-16

c)..... all who lived righteous lives were promised long life. Deut 4:40 ,12:25                   

d).....all who honoured thier father and mother were blessed with long life...Ex  20;12

Why is personal righteousness and holiness important in getting your prayers answered?

The prayers of a righteous man are answered but we do not merit it ...all Gods gifts are through GRACE ..We cannot earn anything by our good works

How can unrighteousness prevent answered prayer if all gifts from God are by grace anyway?

It is similar to your attitude to disobedient children ..you would refrain from giving into their requests...God can answer prayer of sinners too ...He loves all It is upto Him

"Remember, O LORD, how I have walked before you faithfully and with wholehearted devotion and have done what is good in your eyes." (38:3)
    He cried out to the Lord to remember his faithfulness, his devotion, and that he tried to please the Lord in his daily walk before Him.   Under the Old Covenant, God's blessings flowed to a man who was obedient.  Those who were obedient were assured of  long life.

Why is personal righteousness and holiness important in getting your prayers answered?
    The closer our walk is with the Lord, the more our prayers line up with His will.  The answer to a prayer is not based on works, but a person who is righteous and endeavors to live a life of obedience  is pleasing to God and He will respond to our prayers eagerly when we call on Him.  Our Father is eager to hear our concerns, eager to answer our prayers, but we have to keep in mind that He searches the heart and mind and knows our thoughts too. "The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective" (James 5:16b).

How can unrighteousness prevent answered prayer if all gifts from God are by grace anyway?
    God hears our pleas for help, even when we are disobedient.  That is, an unrighteous person crying out for help in a time of emergency will undoubtedly be heard.  But when we are disobedient, God may delay an answer to our prayers, not to punish but to instruct.  He wants a close fellowship with each of us and He will work in us to perfect us.  He doesn’t wait for perfection; He meets us where we are in our walk with Him, but He is working in us to bring us closer and closer to holiness and to Himself.  He rewards faithfulness and a willing devotion like that of Hezekiah;  He will not reward sin.

Hezekiah reminds yahweh about how he has walked faithfully and with him. he also reminds yahweh of his whole hearted devotion and how he has done what is pleasing in Yahweh's sight.

God in his holy word commands us to live in his ways that are right and holy. The word of God also commands us to live a holy and sanctified life for it is the will of God. when we live according to his ways and also live in holiness God promises his blessings to us and also he answers us when we call upon his Name.

God is a merciful God- slow to anger and rich in love. His loves his children and in his mercy may deliver the unrighteous when they cry to him in trouble. His loving grace works and then God will teach the unrighteous his ways through the very trouble through which they have turned to him. This is his grace working for us. however when there is sin God will first deal with the sin in the person and give ear to their cry.

Hezekiah prays knowing God is in control. He is worried about Jerusalem and knows he needs time. He reminded God of not his righteousness, but that he realizes who God is, that He is able, even tho we sin. He knew God loved him and that he could humble himself & pray to God.

If we are not trying to be righteous & holy, we are really not committed to God. He knows our hearts.

God is in control! He chooses to answer our prayers. Sometimes he says no, to help us grow. Ultimately, His will is what is important. When we pray, we want His will, even if it is a delay in an answer or the "no" answer.

On 8/1/2013 at 10:12 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Hezekiah asks on the basis of his devotion and faithfulness to God and personal conduct in regard to others.

Why is personal righteousness and holiness important in getting your prayers answered? How can unrighteousness prevent answered prayer if all gifts from God are grace anyway?

A. God is loving, kind, gracious and generous, eager to pour blessing upon His children.

On a personal note, the Lord answered prayers in miraculous ways before I was born again, and therefore completely unrighteous, while praying "God if you're there...." time and again, He answered. For example when I was terrified of childbirth and I prayed that way, our first baby, nearly 9 lbs. was born in an hour with no labor, and no pain, to everyone's amazement.....I know now that He "set me apart before the foundation of the world" so His answers were to draw me to Himself in relationship.

B.  Every believer is righteous (backslidden or not) based on faith in the finished work of Jesus on the Cross. We don't lose our righteousness when we sin, because it's a gift from our Father.  But In I Peter 3:7 husbands are admonished to dwell considerately with their wives, the weaker vessels, as joint heirs, or their prayers may be hindered.

We may have some prayers unanswered when we pray with wrong motives. If God didn't answer the prayers of the backslidden or rebellious, there would be no hope for their cries of "Help me, deliver me from this pig pen or pit that I've either fallen in or into which I've jumped."

The Lord's discretion decides when and how prayers are answered, and He may say "No" or "Not Yet" and delay an answer until "the set time", regardless of holiness and faithfulness. In my experience, delays have more to do with how He is going to be glorified in the final outcome, than me "getting my prayers answered" now.

Firsty, Hezekiah really doesn't want to die. He wants to recover. It would have been a terrible shock to him when Isaiah told him to put his affairs in order because he was going to die. He then appealed to God on the basis of the righteous life he had led. Kind of like: LORD, I've served you well; don't I get the chance to live? Notice that Hezekiah didn't boast of his righteousness but appealed with humility and tears. He really poured his heart out to God. Sometimes we have to do that. God seems immobile. We appeal to His father's heart and He softens. I'm not saying that every prayer made in tears and desperation will be answered, but a contrite heart he will in no way ignore.

Jesus told us that if we ask anything in His name God will grant it. That on the surface means prosperity for all believers, but Jesus really meant that if we ask anything according to God's will, He will grant it. If we live a life of personal righteousness and personal holiness we will most likely be in the will of God in our thoughts and actions. In such a position our thoughts and prayers will be closely aligned to the will of God and we'll be praying prayers directed by the Holy Spirit much more than if we're walking our own path. God has chosen to work through the prayers of the saints.

We can't live in open rebellion to God and then expect Him to answer our prayers. He's our Father and as such has the right to discipline us. God has to keep His promises because He cannot lie. He will provide for us even if we aren't faithful. but we shouldn't expect much in the way of blessing if we don't live out our faith. Whole books have been written trying to explain why God sometimes does and sometimes doesn't answer prayer. I'm sure we all know Godly people who are dirt poor and physically not going so well. In the eyes of the world it would appear God had forsaken them. We can't see into their hearts. Maybe there's joy in there at what God HAS done for them and no regrets about what He hasn't. At the risk of depreciating God's love, it's good to leave room for disappointment. Many people, myself included, are only ever given just enough to get by. For whatever reason, God had chosen to do that. Who but God knows what the outcome would be if He blessed me with abundant worldly things? I might abandon my faith and see no further need for God. Better to depend on God rather than be self-reliant and credit myself with anything I may gain or achieve. We should work hard AND rely on God at the same time. Unless the LORD is with the builders, they labor in vain.

Q4. (Isaiah 38:3) What is the basis on which Hezekiah asks for healing? Why is personal righteousness and holiness important in getting your prayers answered? How can unrighteousness prevent answered prayer if all gifts from God are by grace anyway?

On the basis of God's promises for long life and an heir.

If we have personal righteousness and holiness it will affect our being able to ask what is in God's will.

Wrong prayers, God's discipline, God's timing

God Bless!

Jen

Jude 24, 25

1. The basis on which Hezekiah asked for healing was a reminder to God that he had "walked before the LORD faithfully and with wholehearted devotion and had done what was good in the LORDS'S eyes."

2. Personal righteousness and Holiness is important in getting prayers answered: As James stated in James 5:16. "The prayers of a righteous man is powerful and effective."

3. Unrighteouness can prevent answered prayer: God do not reward our prayers when we are unrighteous and constantly disobedient.

Q4. (Isaiah 38:3) What is the basis on which Hezekiah asks for healing? Why is personal righteousness and holiness important in getting your prayers answered? How can unrighteousness prevent answered prayer if all gifts from God are by grace anyway?

Hezekiah asked for healing based on:

a)      His service, commitment to God and his righteousness.

B)      For the sake of his nation

c)       God’s promised to David to have his kingdom to last forever.

Personal holiness and righteousness are important because God says in Isaiah 59 1-3 that our sin blocks our prayers; in James 5:16 the Word of God says that the prayer of the righteous is effective

Unrighteousness can block our prayers despite the fact that all gifts are due to God’s grace so that unrighteousness will not be exalted. 

God is always with us, but if we are not feeling Him, things don't work so good. Such it is wityh prayer. Can we be righteous for a few seconds, pray and then go back to "the world." Such a shallow attitude is not a real connection wiht God, it is more Him trying to reach us and partly succeeding despite our ignorant attitude.

Also, when we are really connected we will be asking God for the right things at the right time, His time. Being righteous is a full time effort, not easy in this modern world or even back then in the days of Hezekiah.

So let's take a few slow deep breaths and examine ourselves and ask 'Lord please help us to be "more" righteous than we were yesterday, to grow closer to you and more trusting to feel you leading us to your glory.'

Q4. (Isaiah 38:3)

Q1. What is the basis on which Hezekiah asks for healing?

From God's response through Isaiah we get some hints to the reasons why God seems to have responded to Hezekiah's prayer, though we can't read God's mind:

Hezekiah prayed. If he hadn't asked, God would have continued with the plan announced by Isaiah -- an early death. James says, "You do not have, because you do not ask God...." (James 4:2b).

Promises made to David centuries before. The Lord identifies himself as "the God of your father David" (38:4) and says he will defend the city "for the sake of my servant David" (2 Kings 20:6).

Respect for Hezekiah's leadership role. "Hezekiah, the leader of my people" (2 Kings 20:5a).

Concern for Jerusalem's welfare. "I will deliver you and this city from the hand of the king of Assyria. I will defend this city...." (38:6).

Honor for Hezekiah's upright life. "I have heard your prayer," indicates that he has heard Hezekiah's implied prayer and honored the basis on which he made it, an upright life.

Love for Hezekiah. "I have heard your prayer and seen your tears" (38:4). Hezekiah loves God and God loves Hezekiah. The Father has seen his child's tears and responded.

Q2. Why is personal righteousness and holiness important in getting your prayers answered?

God’s ear is particularly open to his children who seek to be obedient to him.

I must try and make an honest attempt to follow God in my life and repent when I am convicted of my sin. God will honor this with blessing, success, and answered prayer.

Q3. How can unrighteousness prevent answered prayer if all gifts from God are by grace anyway?

All God's gifts are by grace -- his own favor towards us, which is neither earned nor deserved.

But God does honor the prayers of the upright over those of the backslidden. James teaches us:  "The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective" (James 5:16b).

Q4. (Isaiah 38:3)

What is the basis on which Hezekiah asks for healing?

Hezekiah asks for his prayers to be answered because of his having lived a life in obedience to God. He knew he would find favour with God, not because of his deeds but because of his faith. I feel that our Heavenly Father respects obedience and would be inclined to answer the prayer of a true believer more urgently. He knows that if we love Him we obey His commands. God also looks at our motives – is our prayer based on greed, covetousness, or even envy? If our motives are not pure and is only for selfish enjoyment, I doubt God will grant that request. An unrighteous person’s line of communication with God is broken. However, I feel no prayer is ever lost – only sometimes we need to be more patient. 

Hezekiah appealed to God on the basis of his own righteousness.  This doesn't mean he was sinless.  Hezekiah wasn't sinless (2 Chronicles 32:26). He had made mistakes, wrong decisions, and had moments that reflect a weakness of faith. But Hezekiah made an honest attempt to follow God in his life and repented when he was convicted of his sin. God honored this with blessing, success, and answered prayer.

God has promised in scriptures that He will answer the prayer of a righteous man, so it is important to getting prayers answered.

Hezekiah bullrings up his history of faithfulness and genuine trust in God during his reign. Personal uprightness and holiness are important since God may not have to discipline them as compare to an individual who lacks faith and trust. God, therefore, is quick to respond to one of His "obedient" children.

Isaiah 38:3
Q). What is the basis on which Hezekiah asks for healing?
A). Hezekiah appealed to God's promises for an heir and for long life for those who live a righteous life.
#
Q). Why is personal righteousness and holiness important in getting your prayers answered?
A). God does honor the prayers of the upright over those of the backslidden. James teaches us: "The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." -James 5:16.
#
Q). How can unrighteousness prevent answered prayer if all gifts from God are by grace anyway?
A). God does honor the prayers of the upright over those of the backslidden. James teaches us: "The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." -James 5:16.

Hezekiah asks for healing by asking God to remember how he (Hezekiah) had always walked before God faithfully and with wholehearted devotion. He reminds God he has always tried to do what is good in God's eyes. His appeal is to God's promises of long life and heirs to those who live righteous lives.

Personal righteousness and holiness are important to getting prayers answered because, "The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective." God is more inclined to honor the prayers of the upright over the backslidden, though none of us is without sin. The thought here is that though we all sin, those who are honestly seeking to abide in Him and with good hearts towards God are more inclined to receive a favorable response in blessing from God. Those who are walking away from God, not living righteously have separated themselves from Him and so His desire would be to call them back to Himself. He does this in discipline and he may temporarily withhold everything except necessities until we return to Him. He always does this out of love for us and to call us back into fellowship with Him and to return us to a righteous life in Him that is better for us.

The basis on which Hezekiah asked for healing came from his heart of love for the Nation, for God, and for God’s precepts and laws.

Personal righteousness is the result of faith that has been planted deep within where they can take root, and when it is sprinkled with the desire to abide and to be obedient to the Lord’s word and his commands, is when we will see the joy of its results, as it produces the delicious fruits of righteousness and holiness, therefore what you shall ask, it shall be done unto you.

God's grace is not a gift given in order for man to produce  "UNRIGHTEOUSNESS" - When God saw the wickedness of man was great in the earth, God was sorry he made man, as it grieved him in his heart, except for Noah, a righteous man who was saved as he found grace in the eyes of the LORD.

God's Son teaches us how we my go boldly before His Father, "I am the vine and you are the branches: He that abides, stays in me, and I in him, is the one who will bring forth much fruit (righteousness) by which the Father is glorified - "IF" (conditional) you will abide in me, and my words abide in you, you may ask and it shall be done - "IF" you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

What is the basis on which Hezekiah asks for healing?

1. Hezekiah reminded God that he had been obedient to his word.  Hezekiah is appealing to God's promises for offspring and for a long life to those who walk uprightly before him.

2. God does honor the prayers of the upright over those of the backslidden.

• 2 weeks later...

Question 6.4

Hezekiah  prays for healing based upon “how I have walked before you, in faithfulness with a whole heart and have done what is good in your sight” (38:3).   Hezekiah is here not speaking so much about his personal life but his regal life.  In 2 Kings 18: 3-6,  “He did what was right in the sight of the Lord just as his ancestor David had done.  He removed the high places, broke down the pillars, and cut down the sacred pole.  He broke in pieces the bronze serpent that Moses had made, for until those days the people of Israel had made offerings to it; it as called Nehushtan.  He trusted in the Lord the God of Israel; so that there was no one like him among all the kings of Judah after him, or among those who were before him.  For he held fast to the Lord; he did not depart from following him but kept the commandments that the Lord commanded Moses.”   This appears to be the basis upon which Hezekiah’s prayer for wellness is based.   From the tone of the notes and the Bible reading it seems that the issue between Hezekiah and God is that of Hezekiah’s ruling the nation for God.  Hezekiah complains that God is not treating him fairly.  

If Hezekiah is praying for healing upon his regal  life, and for the good of Judah instead of his personal life, then Hezekiah’s personal righteousness does not apply.  In those days it was very difficult to separate the personal life of the king from his royal life.  The king in Israel had a very special function of leading the kingdom both in a physical aspect and in a spiritual moral and religious aspect.  The latter for Israel is more important than the first.  The people in Hezekiah ‘s time lived a communal life and the whole of life was community.    Hezekiah would have found it very difficult when he w staling to “god to separate self from the people, being their king and to a degree their priest.  Thus we have Hezekiah’s lea.  Today when we are so inclined to individualism we must take particular measures not to treat Hezekiah as an individual  but as a leader of his community.

winstony                                                                                                                                                     

The basis on which Hezekiah asks for healing is his faithfulness and single-minded service to God.  God blesses those who are intentionally striving to honor and obey Him.  God delights in taking care of His children. 

The scripture teaches that unrepentant sin breaks the relationship between a person and God.  God doesn't bless the rebellious and deliberate disobedient.   The blessings and answered prayer are grounded in a close relationship with God.  A love relationship.

Q4. (Isaiah 38:3) What is the basis on which Hezekiah asks for healing? Why is personal righteousness and holiness important in getting your prayers answered? How can unrighteousness prevent answered prayer if all gifts from God are by grace anyway?

The basis on which Hezekiah asks for healing is his faithfulness and single-minded service to God.  God blesses those who are intentionally striving to honor and obey Him.  God delights in taking care of His children. 

The scripture teaches that unrepentant sin breaks the relationship between a person and God.  God doesn't bless the rebellious and deliberate disobedient.   The blessings and answered prayer are grounded in a close relationship with God.  A love relationship.

The basis on which Hezekiah asked for healing is that he had walked before God in faithfulness and with whole heart and done good in His sight.

I think that personal righteousness and holiness is important in getting your prayers answered is because our Father likes to help those that please Him. If we are rebelling against Him then we aren’t right with Him and He may not answer our prayers the way we want him to. We don’t have to fall away from God because He is the one that brought us to him. But He is more considerate when we are following His ways.