JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. God's Blind Servant

Q4. (Isaiah 42:18-25) According to this passage, in what ways is God’s “servant” blind? Why? Who is the “servant” in this passage? How would you assess your own degree of spiritual blindness in the last 5 or 10 years? How effective is a blind servant in accomplishing his master’s purposes? How effective have you been?

• 2 months later...

According to this passage, in what ways is God's "servant" blind?

They see but don’t pay attention. We are often spiritually blind as well. We see stuff, but don't realize the significance thereof. We don't see God's Hand when He is steering us in a better way

Why?

We are so concerned with ourselves and the world that we don't seek God's face in everything we observe. We are too much me and now orientated insead of focussing on God and the eternal Kingdom.

Who is the "servant" in this passage?

Israel, but it can point towards us as well.

How would you assess your own degree of spiritual blindness in the last 5 or 10 years?

10 years ago, very bad, as of the last 5 years there has been a big improvement, but i have still much to learn

How effective is a blind servant in accomplishing his master's purposes?

Not much, but God can use even a donkey.

How effective have you been?

God is still sanctifying and preparing me, although recently there were some results.

Gods  “servant” here probably refers to the  Jews, who call themselves Yahweh’s servants, and pretend to serve and worship Yahweh  yet there are none so blind as they in spiritual things? though they have so many opportunities and advantages of light and knowledge, yet shut their eyes willfully against the light; hence the people and their guides( the Scribes and Pharisees), are often called "blind" by our Lord, to whose times this passage refers,

Mathew 15:4-16  Mathew 23:16-17 ;  Mathew 23:24

who is blind, as he that is perfect? This probably refers to  such people as Saul prior to his conversion who thought he was perfectly brought up in religious matters and no one was better than him,, and all the Pharisees, those self-righteous persons who needed no repentance, and yet who so blind as they? and indeed, had they not been blind to themselves, they could never have thought themselves perfect; and yet when they were told they were so, could not bear it,

Mathew 19:20, Philippians 3:6;  Luke 15:7 and John 9:14

How would you assess your own spiritual blindness  in the past 5-10 years?

Before  2000  I have been  80% blind and was more judgmental than productive. Gradually by spending more time in meditating on  the word of GOD and  getting involved  in proclamation of  the gospel, organizing Outreach programmes,, understanding the power of Praise and Worship,,Prayer, and  Bible study the blindness may have reduced by 10% ..

How effective is a blind servant in accomplishing his masters purpose?.

No,  A blind servant cannot accomplish his Masters purpose. Its like blind man leading the blind man!..in fact it may even be destructive like Saul.

My efforts have been great but the pay off has been negligible. I still stand far short of the Glory of God. I pray that I may reach at least a point when I can stand to receive the Lord without fear of being told ‘”i dont know you “

According to this passage, in what ways is God's "servant" blind? THOUGH THEY HAVE EYES AND EARS, THEY DONOT SEE OR HEAR.

Why? OBLIVIOUS TO THE WAY GOD SPEAKS

Who is the "servant" in this passage?  ISRAEL

How would you assess your own degree of spiritual blindness in the last 5 or 10 years?  IT IS NOT GETTING BETTER AS MY INVESTMENT OF TIME IN THE WORD CREATES A PATH OF UNDERSTANDING.

How effective is a blind servant in accomplishing his master's purposes? INEFFECTIVE.

How effective have you been?  AS EFFECTIVE AS I KNOW TO BE.

See things and pay no attention. Ears open but not hear anything.

They didn't want to obey God.

Israel is the servant.

I can see growth. The more you learn about God and obeying Him, the more you love Him.

Blind is usually not effective.

I keep on, growing in knowing God--it is He knows my true effectiveness.

• God’s people are blind because they refused to see what God has done for them

• Israel is the servant in the passage.

10 years back I was very much blind but my vision has improved very much from the past 3 years and it is work in progress.

A blind servant is not effective in accomplishing his master’s purposes.

By the grace of God I am letting God use me as His servant on an everyday basis, although it’s not a easy task being a servant of the Lord and I fall every now and then, but my heart is responsive and I am ever willing.

God's servant is blind because they have made thier hearts dull to voice , their ears deaf to his voice and they are not able to see God's ways because of thier sin and disobidience.

The servant referred in this passage is people of Israel the Lord's chosen once.

i can assess my spiritual blindness where i have not read God's word that teaches me to break the old self in me and live as a new creation imitiating the character of Jesus. Love for God and giving him the first place above all things has been shaky at times. But now by his immense grace i am able to love him above all things and follow his word. There are times when the old self in me distracts my attention towards him but i earnestly pray to the Lord for his overflowing grace to keep my heart and mind open to hear his voice and allow his light to shine on me and in turn let my light shine to all those around me. i seek him so that i am not blinded by the world's ways but be able see all things in the light of his presence and lead the blind to Jesus so that he can heal them of their blindness too,

A blind servant cannot be effective for carrying on the master's work.

my effectiveness each day depends on what is my priority. i have learnt to make the Lord Jesus my priority above everything. when i give my time, my love , my will , my desires , my plans and ambitions to him and make his plan my plan, his will mine i see that he can use me effectively to do what he commands me to do. His love and his mercy for me helps me remain in him and only by his grace i am effective for him.

On 8/1/2013 at 10:15 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (Isaiah 42:18-25) According to this passage, in what ways is God’s “servant” blind?

Though in covenant relationship with God, "the servant" totally forsook Him by worshipping idols, while turning a blind eye and a deaf ear to their Father and creator, who loves them. (still true today for many in Israel)

Why? 

They preferred their own will and ways to His "consistent purpose to magnify instruction and revelation and to glorify them."

Who is the “servant” in this passage?

Israel.

How would you assess your own degree of spiritual blindness in the last 5 or 10 years?

I've been growing slowly in grace. The longer I've been His child and walking with Him the more my eyes and ears have been opened to His voice. But two years ago, I grew weary of the 25 year trial and wilderness of my circumstances and no longer wanted to read the Bible. One morning I said "Lord, I'm not going to read every day just to get the check mark in the box. I'm laying Your Word down until you create a hunger and love in me to read again". I didn't read the Bible for several months. Then one day I woke up with such a hunger that I couldn't put the Bible down. I read the entire Bible in 3 months, outlining every chapter, putting notes of revelation in the margins....It was an amazing experience! I would describe it as huge scales of a years of religious training and tradition falling off. When I read now, it is with fresh revelation. I see Jesus everywhere in the old testament, in type and shadow now, where I was "blind" before. He shines from every page!

How effective is a blind servant in accomplishing his master’s purposes?

Not very! The blindness keeps one from seeing, and understanding His Person, and His purposes.

Because I gave Him permission many years ago to do in me whatever was needed to insure that I would not be ashamed when I see Him face to face, but have "sheaves of wheat" and a crown to offer Him with precious stones (of His doing through me), rather than a pile of wood, hay and stubble (of self effort), burned to ash at my feet....I have no regrets. When I ask Him to order my steps each morning, I trust that together we will accomplish His purposes for that day. Looking back, I see where sin and failure became plan B....and how He's used those times to deepen my love for Him, to understand Grace, and to give me compassion for other "compulsive strugglers" (my son's words for my early years). Early rebellion has trained me to listen for His slightest whisper to obey. I'm now at rest in His leadership and Lordship, and trust that I'm walking the path He planned for me.  I'm certain "I have not been effective" (my flesh) but pray that His work in and through me will bring Him glory!!! Only He knows what will be the final outcome of my life in Him. 

Q4. (Isaiah 42:18-25) According to this passage, in what ways is God’s “servant” blind? Why?

It's the classic: Can't see the forest for the trees. The people to whom Isaiah wrote this were people who were looking for help and guidance but not in the right direction. Seeking help from false gods, from Godless countries, etc. The Lord was right there, represented in His temple, but they couldn't see that. The were, in effect, "feeling around" for help and guidance instead of looking to God.

Who is the “servant” in this passage?

The people of Israel and Judah, God's people whom he chose to serve Him.

That's hard to quantify. I've earnestly sought God's direction but still managed to ruin my life while trying to do the best I could. There has to be a lesson for me in all that's happened but as yet I just can't see what it is. I've sought counsel from Godly people and they all say I should listen to God, but He just doesn't seem to be saying anything. At least nothing I can discern. I've never had clear spiritual directions from God. Never been able to determine His will. I've always just blundered through life. This despite pouring over the Word and asking Pastors for advice.

How effective is a blind servant in accomplishing his master’s purposes?

Blind people need to be led around most of the time, unless they're extraordinarily gifted in their other senses. As servants, blind people simply couldn't do the job.

Don't ask if you don't wanna know the answer! I've had no ministry for years apart from giving my tithe to people who do have ministries. Then I suppose the money has to come from somebody so that could be serving God in the only way I can.

“Hear, you deaf;
    look, you blind, and see!
19 Who is blind but my servant,
    and deaf like the messenger I send?
Who is blind like the one in covenant with me,
    blind like the servant of the Lord?
20 You have seen many things, but you pay no attention;
    your ears are open, but you do not listen.”
21 It pleased the Lord
    for the sake of his righteousness
    to make his law great and glorious.
22 But this is a people plundered and looted,
    all of them trapped in pits
    or hidden away in prisons.
They have become plunder,
    with no one to rescue them;
they have been made loot,
    with no one to say, “Send them back.”

23 Which of you will listen to this
    or pay close attention in time to come?
24 Who handed Jacob over to become loot,
    and Israel to the plunderers?
Was it not the Lord,
    against whom we have sinned?
For they would not follow his ways;
    they did not obey his law.
25 So he poured out on them his burning anger,
    the violence of war.
It enveloped them in flames, yet they did not understand;
    it consumed them, but they did not take it to heart

Q4. (Isaiah 42:18-25) According to this passage, in what ways is God's "servant" blind? Why? Who is the "servant" in this passage? How would you assess your own degree of spiritual blindness in the last 5 or 10 years? How effective is a blind servant in accomplishing his master's purposes? How effective have you been?

I have been blind in the world, blind of my ego, and self-centeredness. Still God has used me and grown me, and helped me to understand what a giant ego I had. Spiritual progress, not perfection, that is my goal, and beg the Lord to refine me in what ever way He intends me to be refined. Praise is justice and perfection!

Q4. (Isaiah 42:18-25)

According to this passage, in what ways is God's "servant" blind?

Why?

How effective have you been?

Israel, as the chosen nation, is the servant in this passage. They were stupid, blind, and deaf to the calls of God, and had sunk into pagan idolatry. They were blind in that they closed their eyes and stopped their ears as He spoke. By rejecting the prophet's message, they disobeyed the Word of God and denied their Servant role – they were disobeying Him and turning away from Him. A blind servant whose duty is to see, and a deaf messenger with the responsibility to hear, are doubly useless, especially if the blindness and the deafness are self-imposed. It is because of their own stubbornness that God was left no alternative but to let them be plundered, robbed, trapped, and deported without an apparent sign of hope. I pray that God will open my mind and soften my heart and that I will not become blind and deaf to His Word. That I will understand and that He will help me to apply what I have learnt in my life. This can only happen with the help of the Holy Spirit and if I persevere in studying and meditating on His Word.  

Q4. (Isaiah 42:18-25) According to this passage, in what ways is God's "servant" blind and why? They observed, they were witnessed to many wonderful workings by the hand of their God, how sad it was, they did not take heed to guard in their hearts the wonders they saw and heard; Their ears did hear, their eyes did see, but because their hearts were far from God, they did not pay attention, they did not give honor to what they heard and saw, therefore they walked in “disobedience” to the laws, the teachings of God.

Who is the "servant" in this passage? God's servants, His chosen people Israel.

God's servants are blind in that they gave praise to idols, following them and not God. They couldn't see what God was doing right under their noses! They had seen many things of the mighty works of God but hadn't really paid all that much attention to them. Their eyes and ears are open, but they do not see or hear anything. How like us sometimes with God showing Himself in mighty ways and saving us and protecting us, yet we turn a "blind eye" to Him and complain in our circumstances or we refuse to trust Him or even to remember all the times He was for us!

The servant in this passage is Israel. (And a good reminder for us!)

I would guess my own degree of blindness in the last 5-10 years could be summed up as "gaining sight." My life is totally different than 10 years ago and I have grown very much in listening and trusting and remembering God's greatness in my life. I truly was awakened through different lessons from God and repented and grew in His love and grace and in trusting His sovereignty. I'm quicker to repent and abide in Him knowing He can help me understand so I can see or hear.

How effective is a blind servant? Not much but God can produce miraculous works even through the blind....but that's HIS work...not theirs! Look at Cyrus! He didn't know God but was used by God to bring the people Israel out of exile in Babylon.

How effective am I? Way more than I ever used to be, but I'm sure not perfect. I still have my blind spots. Thank God for His grace and mercy and patience with me!

Q4. (Isaiah 42:18-25) According to this passage, in what ways is God's "servant" blind?

They were blind in that they were seeing but not obeying.

Why?

They were not willing to walk in His ways; not willing to listen to His instructions,

The servant is Israel

High.  Until I rededicated my life to Christ during that time, I was not attending church and not witnessing to others.

A blind servant is just stumbling around in darkness and is not effective.  That said, the Lord can use anyone at any time to achieve His purposes.

Only the Lord knows.  How can I judge?  I was a failure before; compared to that, I’m a whiz now, but I know that isn’t the case.  There are many things I need to learn.

1. His servants are blind because we sometimes do not see Him working in our lives. Why? Refuse to see.

2. The servant in the passage is "people of Israel."

3. The last 5 or 10 years, I have been aware of His commands, I could have been more effective in bring others to CHRIST.

4. A blind servant is "non-effective."

5. I have been effective but I could have been more effective.

Q4. (Isaiah 42:18-25) According to this passage, in what ways is God's "servant" blind? Why? Who is the "servant" in this passage? How would you assess your own degree of spiritual blindness in the last 5 or 10 years? How effective is a blind servant in accomplishing his master's purposes? How effective have you been?

I really like the phrase 'identity theft' here referring to false gods and idols.

They refused to see or hear.  They refused to listen.  It was willful disobedience.  The servant here is Israel however it could be any of us who hear the gospel and the truth and refuse to listen.

My own spiritual blindness has been off and on to some degree however I do remember Him everyday and acknowledge my dependency on Him.  When things get hard I turn more fervently to Him.  I do love to listen to hymns and I believe in that way I worship Him and also reading the Word everyday.  I suffer debilitating chronic sinusitis which affects my mood and ability to read and concentrate.

I believe a blind servant still can accomplish for his master although it will be in a negative light when people see the consequences of his actions.

I don't know how effective I have been although I think there has been some.  To what degree I don't know.  Did Paul know?  I doubt it .

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

Q4. (Isaiah 42:18-25) According to this passage, in what ways is God's "servant" blind? Why? Who is the "servant" in this passage? How would you assess your own degree of spiritual blindness in the last 5 or 10 years? How effective is a blind servant in accomplishing his master's purposes? How effective have youbeen?

God's servant is blind in the sense that God shows him things that will make him learn but he does not see them. It is our responsibility to see what God wants us to see or learn from the trials He allows us to go through.

The servant in this passage are the His children, the Israelites.

I have not been spiritually 'seeing' as I should and pray that God will open my spiritual eyes to see His plans for me. I am doing better this year than before.

A blind servant will be ineffective as a blind cannot lead another blind person as the Lord Jesus Christ Himself said.

God's servant in these verses is the people of Israel. They are blind to their special purpose of becoming lights in the world and his ambassadors. In verse 19 they were God's servant, messengers, and dedicated ones. In verse 24, however, we learn that they have sinned, and would not walk and obey God's will. As a result, the people of God, we're oppressed and shamed.

God delivered me from a state of spiritual blindness and deafness almost ten years ago. It has been a gradual transforming process of

Mold and instruct my heart and soul. I trust God's Holy Spirit to me continue shaping me--yet I believe I need to intentionally seek out God's service and to be more an active part in furthering His Kingdom.

• 3 weeks later...

Question 7.4

It appears in verse 19 that my servant must be Israel who is blind. Israel appears to blind to the mission that God has put before her to a light to other people. The plight of Israel in exile in Babylon appears to be hopeless. However, the promise of returning to the land of Palestine still exists but it is hard to keep your eye on the objective when one is in a swamp up to ones middle in crocidiles. Israel's plight remains dire through the centuries diaspora , holocaust, and after being returned in the early 20th century to Palestine are still surrounded by enemies who are wishing only to wipe Israel off the face of the earth. But was it not the Lord against whom they have sinned, in whose ways they have not walked, and whose law they would not obey. verse 24. Israel's punishment was to produce a repentance on the people but it does not work. Israel is completely unrepentant.

In the last ten years  I have had my eyes opened to the plight of the poor in our area and around the world. Our church reads Minute for Mission and two of my granddaughters are involved in global ministry. A friend from El Salvador has told a group of us of the living conditions in that country during the civil war. All three describe a plight of the poor that is frightful. A blind person cannot see! The rich man in the parable did not even see the beggar Lazarus. This is also our problem. We do not even see the poor and this is their complaint - it is bad enough to be poor but to be ignored is insulting and they are offended and the consequences are ours.

Q4. (Isaiah 42:18-25) According to this passage, in what ways is God’s “servant” blind? Why? Who is the “servant” in this passage? How would you assess your own degree of spiritual blindness in the last 5 or 10 years? How effective is a blind servant in accomplishing his master’s purposes? How effective have you been?

God's servant was blind in that the servant saw what was right but refused to act on it.  The servant dismissed God.  The servant is Israel in this passage.   

In the last 5 to 10 years my eyes have been increasingly opened to God's will and way in my life and have acted on it.  I have areas of my life that I have resisted change, but those areas are diminishing.  A blind servant is not effective in accomplishing his master's purposes at all.  God only knows how effective I have really been for him.

Q4. (Isaiah 42:18-25) According to this passage, in what ways is God’s “servant” blind? Why? Who is the “servant” in this passage? How would you assess your own degree of spiritual blindness in the last 5 or 10 years? How effective is a blind servant in accomplishing his master’s purposes? How effective have you been?

​Gods servant was blind in that the servant saw and din't act on it the servant dismissed God the servant is Israel in this passage.

I am 17 now, i was still a kid 5-10 years ago so i was still pretty much unaware of these issues.

God’s servants are blind and have seen many things, but have paid no attention; their ears are open, but you do not hear.

The “servant” in this passage is the Jewish people.

As it goes for my spiritual blindness in the last 5 to 10 years my blindness has been getting healed. I have been able to shat the gospels are telling me better now than in the past. A blind servant will be plundered and looted and trapped in pits or hidden away in prisons. Therefore they are of no use in accomplishing his master’s purpose. Sometime I think I have been effective and other times not so much so but I must keep on trying.

• 1 year later...

Israel has seen the miracles of the Lord. However, they are prone to ignore them and ignore God. They are not seeing how God is there for them. They have started to take everything for granted.

I must say that I was very spiritually blind in my past. I felt like I was dead inside of myself. I had no where to turn. I was alone and scared. I felt like I was truly useless. No matter what I tried I would fail. I had turned my back on any type of religion. I could never find the purpose that God had in mind for me.

However, when I opened my heart and soul to God, I felt more alive. And when I started to once again turn to him for guidance, I have been able to find my way. Even though I have a long way to go, I can now be sure that I am at least walking in the right direction.

• 9 months later...

According to this passage, God’s “servant” is blind because they do not see what God is showing them.  They see in the natural and not with spiritual eyes, using their spiritual senses because they are not walking in the Spirit, not being led by the Spirit. The  “servant” in this passage are God's chosen children. Those whom He has chosen to speak to, to reveal visions and dreams. In the last 5 or 10 years I fall short, big time, of being alert when God was speaking to me, showing me things; because of not always allowing the Holy Spirit to completely control my walk. As a blind servant you can never be effective in accomplishing your master’s purposes. I pray that I yield completely to the Spirit of God so that I am effective and successful in accomplishing my Master's bidding.

• 6 years later...

The Israelites are "blind" because they can't hear the messenger or see what God is doing around and in them. I don't know why they are blind. Their eyes haven't been touched by the Spirit, I suppose. 

In the last five years, my life has been transformed. Still, I don't clearly hear God's directives or accurately see Him leading me. I stumble around in life trying to make the best decisions possible somewhat blindly, though I know the Spirit is in me. I have never heard his audible voice. I have never had an amazing "sighting" like a burning bush. My circumstances are ambiguous. The nudges I get from Him are subtle and easy to misinterpret. Thus, I'm not blind but my vision needs much more focus.

If effectiveness is measured in leading people to the Lord, I have been effective. But I still think that's the Spirit's work, not mine. If effectiveness is measured in service to an old man (my father) and learning to love him in spite of the fact we have never had a relationship, then I have been effective.

The toll of faith in Christ has been expensive, however: the things I love to do but can't do now ... the skills I have left on the wayside, the abilities left untouched ... the potential unrealized. I pray to escape this small realm of "effectiveness" and move on to where I should/want/can be.

In short, I am not effective.