JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Loving the Aliens in our Midst

Q1. (Isaiah 49:1-13) Why do people tend to disregard or even discriminate against aliens in their country? How can you increase your love for people of other nationalities? God’s people are called to be a “light to the nations.” What might that entail for the church in your community? In your country? 

• 2 months later...

Q1. (Isaiah 49:1-13) Why do people tend to disregard or even discriminate against aliens in their country?

Fear of the unknown. Jealousy, envy. Lack of God's love in our harts. Patriotism.

Yes, I put jealousy and envy. They are opposites, not the same, although i think many Bible translators don’t know the difference, and therefore many believers don’t know the difference anymore either. Jealousy is the act of protecting your own with an over protective stance. Many times jealousy is not sin. I must be jealous of my wife, my kids, my religion, my faith and most of all my God. I must not be jealous of my car, my house, my money ect. This is why we serve a jealous God.

Envy is wanting something that belongs to others. Envy is always sin. Hope this helps somebody

How can you increase your love for people of other nationalities?

Prayer!!!

Have an eternal vision. Don’t be concerned about the me, my, myself and the now, be concerned about the will of God, expanding His Kingdom and doing the will of our Awesome Almighty Father. Then anyone becomes an opportunity to witness to. Anybody becomes your neighbour that you want to make a brother in Christ.

Say “Thank you Lord, now I don’t have to go to the nations, You are bringing the nations to me!!!”

Prayer!!!!

God's people are called to be a "light to the nations." What might that entail for the church in your community?

Being a living example. Bearing fruits of the Spirit all the time, naturally, not because of planned actions only. Showing God’s love to all, not just in words.

Allowing God to sanctify us so that our character can be clean, pure and Christ like.

In your country?

I am living in Zambia. Almost all aliens in Zambia were brought in to teach Zambians how to do a specialized job, they are investors or they are missionaries.

Since Zambians mostly report to aliens, the way to be a light to their world would be to be humble, obedient, friendly, full of joy, full of love, full of life, helpful, available, never complain, show respect, be grateful and so much more.

Further, many/most of these aliens are not believers, thus we must also testify, proclaim and teach whenever we can.

Most of this will be in applicable in other countries as well, yet i believe circumstances will change.

On 8/1/2013 at 10:19 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (Isaiah 49:1-13) Why do people tend to disregard or even discriminate against aliens in their country?

There is something in human nature that feels more comfortable with "like-kind". We like people to look like us, think like us, act like us. There may be offenses committed by one race to another and unforgiveness sets up resentment or even hatred, but also, fear, suspicion, and ignorance are a big part as well. Growing up in a state where the predominant religion taught that a certain race was cursed by God, their bias permeated the schools. I was afraid of that race until I became an adult and could see think for myself just on general principles. After I became a Christian I could see this was a cruel lie from the pit of hell with which those people were indoctrinated. Because they were segregated I didn't know anyone of that race personally until I was 19!

One of God's great gifts to our family was to lead us to a racially mixed congregation! What a joy and delight it has been  to embrace the many different races and cultures with whom we worship...our differences enrich and increase love for one another!

God’s people are called to be a “light to the nations.” What might that entail for the church in your community?

Our church body supports missionaries in various countries...has them come and share with us, so we can see the beautiful faces and races we are praying for and supporting. All races are welcome, are treated equally and with love in our church. It's a beautiful thing, as we will all be together in Heaven...no segregation there,  and there should be none here! Thank the Lord!!! We are a beautiful mixture/blend of many races! 

In your country?

I think this battle is won, one person at a time and through prayer!

Q1. (Isaiah 49:1-13)

Why do people tend to disregard or even discriminate against aliens in their country?

God's people are called to be a "light to the nations." What might that entail for the church in your community?

In your country? 

In my country we periodically have outbreaks of xenophobia with fatal results. It is because of the scarcity of jobs and the fact that aliens are prepared to work for lower wages and at the same time are not members of a militant union. They also come with different skills and form a network with their fellow countrymen to establish businesses in my country. God loves all and we are to imitate Him. It is not always easy but with the help of the Holy Spirit we can do it. Being in a strange country they can be vulnerable to abuse as well as being homesick and missing their family. These are all opportunities for us to show our love and kindness as Christians. 

Why do people tend to disregard or even discriminate against aliens in their country? THEY DON'T UNDERSTAND THEM.  PEOPLE ARE OFTEN THREATENED BY WHAT THEY DO NOT UNDERSTAND.

How can you increase your love for people of other nationalities? LOOK THROUGH THE LENS OF GOD.

God's people are called to be a "light to the nations."  What might that entail for the church in your community? MAKE A CONCERTED EFFORT TO RECOGNIZE, ACKNOWLEDGE, AND INCLUDE THOSE WHO ARE UNLIKE OURSELVES.

In your country?  IN ADDITION TO THE ABOVE, SHOW THEM THE PATH OF CITIZENSHIP.

MAKE A CONCERTED EFFORT TO RECOGNIZE, ACKNOWLEDGE, AND INCLUDE THOSE WHO ARE UNLIKE OURSELVES. SHOW THEM THE PATH OF CITIZENSHIP.

It's a mistrust thing a lot of the time. They look different, they talk different, they have different customs and ways of doing things to our ways. It's human nature to distrust those different to us. If they're a minority we tend to lump them all together in our thinking.

We could study their customs and their history and try to understand them better and where they're coming from. Even if that's not possible we could simply just try to treat them the same as we do our own neighbors.

God’s people are called to be a “light to the nations.” What might that entail for the church in your community?

Living out God's love for others regardless of their country of origin.

In your country?

Showing tolerance to those different to us and helping them assimilate.

Q1. (Isaiah 49:1-13) Why do people tend to disregard or even discriminate against aliens in their country? How can you increase your love for people of other nationalities? God's people are called to be a "light to the nations." What might that entail for the church in your community? In your country? 
We tend to not trust things we don't understand, what is different; foreigners are like this.

I try to learn about my wife's family from El Salvador. Some day I would like to help the SHIP international orphanage there,  in God's time.

Some churches have Hispanic services, others seems to have different priorities. Let His light shine into the four corners of the earth. There are foreigners in all lands. Let God's will prevail so we can help them and understand them.

I think the reasons are as varied as the people involved.  Fear of someone different, arrogance, or just disinterest in anyone else.  Here in Florida we have a mixed populace.  There are tensions between races often.  But for the most part, the treatment of individuals face to face that I see personally each day is generally ‘normal.’  We tend to feel more comfortable among our own people.

Remember that God created all of us in His image, that He loves each of us, and He wants us to love one another.  
    Look at each individual and see how beautiful they are.  Shine the light of God’s love on someone and they will blossom.

Our church is inclusive and loving to all.    We’re a Bible believing community of Christians.  

In your country?
    Be an example of someone who welcomes as Jesus would.  
    Live your life to be an example to others of the value and glory of Christ.   Let the fruit of the Spirit be ever present in you.  Pray always.

Q1. (Isaiah 49:1-13) Why do people tend to disregard or even discriminate against aliens in their country? How can you increase your love for people of other nationalities? God’s people are called to be a “light to the nations.” What might that entail for the church in your community? In your country?

India is a country with diverse culture, creed, colour and socio econonic variation...however I wish to tell you that it is not in our nature to discriminate people in general ...we find the average Indian very congenial , helpful and hospitable esp to strangers of another place or race...I wish to tell you that the Hindus are Very TOLERANT to the gospel and will always be willing to hear it but it is our inhibitions not to preach to whoever we meet on a daily basis..i exclude fanatics in this statememnt ..It is our fear of displeasing them with our religious beliefs and feeling and a thing apart to talk about religion in society , in secular functions...Many Hindus accept the Lord Jesus as one of their Gods and even pray to them in thier homes!...they are what we call the NBBC..Non Baptised Believers in Christ ...so no discrimination here  only suspicion of INFILTRATORS WITH A TERRRORIST INTENTION would meet  disregard or discrimination.

It is our duty to love everyone esp those who are not lovely ...there are alot many unlovely people who are generally avoided...we need to interact with them more with love and respect ..it can bring about a change in the nation

In our community When we hold functions in open places people may attend out of curiousity ..like a church service on the beach/ playgound ...but the Fanatics can cause trouble like throw stones etc .People  do not want to be noticed attending a christian religious service in a church but in an auditorium they would attend. there are some church services held in hotel banquet halls which are open to all and they visit these. For a person from a NON CHRISTIAN background... he loses alot of family prestige and wealth and joint family security when he puts his faith in Christ ..He puts his sisters marriage  at stake as marriages are arranged still and suitors seek a respectable family ..it is a real denial for him and he is on his own... devoid of family and friends so its a difficult proposition...The church would have to be a full time support to those who turn to Christ from other faiths...

In the country ...every person who accepts Christ has to make a LEGAL declaration of his change of faith ...thereafter the missionary or priest who has performed the baptism is taken to task.. These rules have come into effect about 10-15 years ago unfortunately because of some agencies who were doing forceful conversions for the sake of money...more conversions more money kind of thing... In some sad cases.Christian workers lure people.

If we profess Christ humbly and let the HOLY SPIRIT work then  at the name of Jesus every knee shall bow.   ...

Q1. (Isaiah 49:1-13) Why do people tend to disregard or even discriminate against aliens in their country? How can you increase your love for people of other nationalities? God's people are called to be a "light to the nations." What might that entail for the church in your community? In your country?

"I see men from every nation bowing down before the Lord".    Someday we will see  men from every nation before the throne of grace, worshipping our Lord together.  If God loves all and desires that all be saved then so should we.  

If we discriminate it is the sin nature in us and we have maybe been programmed to hate.  We need to pray that God would open our eyes to see people as He does.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15;13

People always tend to disregard or discriminate against aliens in their country because they are usually so different from what they consider "the norm." Our societies tend to like cookie cutter people. They like everyone to follow what society dictates of how we should look, how we rate success, what our mannerism should be, what we should be driving and what our friends should look like. If anyone strays from that or is an alien that has never learned those statuses, then for some reason fear sets in and those labelled "not the norm" are disregarded, not included, and discriminated against. In some ways I think the root is in pride in things that don't really matter, but also it's a shallow attempt of being worthy. Trusting in men for worth and not God. What happens, is that instead of seeking to understand the other person or the aliens way of life, people try to make them conform or in the event that they can't or won't, the attempt is made to show them in a bad light, draw more people against them and get rid of them altogether.

I can increase my love for people of other nationalities by drawing on the love God gave to me! (After all, I was once an alien before I came into my spiritual family!) I can set aside useless worldly society rules and humbly try to engage in friendship and personal relationship with others not like myself. I say humbly, because I would need to be open to what God is trying to teach me through the person who is so different from me. I would need to remain strong in truth, but be willing to see what God is showing me. When I am engaged in a personal relationship, I can come to understand other customs, ways to live and I can look into a person's heart with better understand what God wants me to give to them too.

To be a light to the nations means to engage others from all over the world, not excluding our own country, even those absolutely not like ourselves, into relationship to love and shepherd and share the good news of Jesus Christ! The church serves in this capacity not only locally, but regionally and internationally and there should be a balance of service in all these areas.

Q1. (Isaiah 49:1-13) Why do people tend to disregard or even discriminate against aliens in their country? America has opened its arms to “ALIENS” and do not want to discriminate against those who come in by “illegal” means, instead, America seems to be and “ARE” discriminating against those “CITIZENS” who love and have faith in God, this government has slowly been discriminating against their freedom to worship God, and are replacing it with the philosophies’ of the alien god's.

What this speaks to me is - God's people are to stay strong in their faith, and are to have love one for another, (1 John 3:10) because we love not in word only is why we do not discriminate against a brother in need, instead, we have compassion for him, and we offer him love, our deeds of righteousness.

I would ask, what nations are out to discriminate against, whose goals are to "VEX" - "DESTROY" God's servants, Israel, and the Christian, those who believe in Israel's Messiah?

How can you increase your love for people of other nationalities? Love is increased as we daily walk in His love, however, there are many warnings given to the Christian to why we are not to marry "alien's" to our faith, the danger lies in the fact that our love could wan for God, and increase our love for the people of other faiths, and their god, as I think on King Solomon, who in his wisdom, did not heed the warning of God.

God's people are called to be a "light to the nations." This is why we support many missionaries.

What might that entail for the church in your community? Our church does not discriminate against others.

In your country? Pray for the "Peace of Jerusalem"

These days, I think fear is a part of it. We look at the person and see the country they're from. Also, being here illegally is a problem.

Pray for them and share with them. Be a friend.

Pray for our missionaries and those they encounter.

Our church sends out many missionaries and encourages those who wish to go. Sometimes that entails ministering to the communities around our church & beyond.

We can pray for our leaders.

People tend to discriminate aliens because aliens are not like them in any way, they have a different culture, traditions, food habits, language, looks etc.  It is difficult to accept what is not of you.  Sometimes it could be because of fear or even jealousy and Sometimes feelings of patriotism.

When we see others as also a creation of God and remember that all of us are creations of the most high god, He is our father and we His children, which make us all brothers and sisters, then we can love people of other nationalities.

The church must pray for all and accept all without being racial.

The country must not be unjust to people from other nations.

Hello folks!!

1 - Why do people tend to disregard or even discriminate against aliens in their country?

The servant of God have to look people in the sight of God and not a human vision. Having spiritual sensitivity.

2 - How can you increase your love for people of other nationalities?

Love them how love yourself.

3 -  God’s people are called to be a “light to the nations.” What might that entail for the church in your community?

We are the candle in this world and we have the God's shine to illuminate around us.

The church has to be with the door open to any race.

My brethren, have not the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory, with respect of persons. James 2 : 1.

1. People tend to disregard or discriminate against aliens in their country because they have different culture, language, skin color in many cases and not wanting to know them. I have been somewhat guilty of this when illegals who break our laws coming here and marching/demanding they have a right to be here.

2. We can increase our love for other people of other nationalities by taking time to know them.

3. To be a light to the nations our churches should extend an invintation to all.

4. In our country be a light to the world, set a Godly example during daylight and in darkness, "Be that Light."

The pride in one's heart can cause not to love aliens and disregard them.  The attitude that our culture and our way of living is better than others tends to create a prejudiced mind against the aliens and this can cause disregard and even discrimination towards the aliens.

we can increase our love for other nationalities by praying for them. while we pray for them God will put his love and compassion in our hearts for them and then we will be also able to reach out to them with love of christ.

we should earnestly seek to be witnesses to Jesus by our character and example by which we will be able to radiate the love and glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.

People tend o discriminate when they either fear someone different or they may be too arrogant with feelings of superiority. They my have different values or coustums, but God's people are to be a light onto the world. They need to role model love and respect for people because they are who Christ died for. We need to show compassion and grace much like God would. Our churches in US need to stop thinking that American "Christianity" are align with God. They need to think "globally." Christ came to die for ALL peoples not for a certain race or nationality.

Why do people tend to disregard or even discriminate against aliens in their country?

1. We are fearful and distrustful of people of cultures other than our own.

2.  Show compassion to others as Christ showed compassion to us.  Do not mistreat them and love them as yourself.

God’s people are called to be a “light to the nations.” What might that entail for the church in your community? In your country?
3.  That we are to be the example that others may want to follow.  Let your light so shine, that men will see your good works.  We must remember that God loves all his people, so should we.

• 2 weeks later...

To began with most people in the USA don't seem to be able to trust or relate to people from other countries or cultures because they are different in varying degrees.  The slightest difference to some people makes all the difference in a negative way.  Many in the USA feel that aliens, to use that term, are a threat to our national security, jobs, health care, communities etc.  They don't want any one to benefit with this country except themselves.   They have an us vs. them worldview.  A tribal mentality that says if you are not a natural born American you are the "other."  Being the "other" means being excluded.  If you are the "other" you are less than human.

You just love them as human-beings as the Bible teaches.  We are all the human-race.  Just love people.  Being a light to the nations means proclaiming in word and deed the Gospel of Jesus Christ and that entails.  

To began with most people in the USA don't seem to be able to trust or relate to people from other countries or cultures because they are different in varying degrees.  The slightest difference to some people makes all the difference in a negative way.  Many in the USA feel that aliens, to use that term, are a threat to our national security, jobs, health care, communities etc.  They don't want any one to benefit with this country except themselves.   They have an us vs. them worldview.  A tribal mentality that says if you are not a natural born American you are the "other."  Being the "other" means being excluded.  If you are the "other" you are less than human.

You just love them as human-beings as the Bible teaches.  We are all the human-race.  Just love people.  Being a light to the nations means proclaiming in word and deed the Gospel of Jesus Christ and that entails.

Question 8 1

People do not like change-We like things the same. We want to be the same as everyone else and we tend to shun those who are different. The alien in the land- a new immigrant, say, is often the poorest- he may even be a refugee. These are vulnerable and we tend to take advantage of these. They have no power and little recourse to the law-we hire them for minimal jobs at low wages. They are like dirt. Yet Yahweh in a general announcement is a great God who is not partial and who does not take bribes and who executes justice fairly. This is the God to whom we pray and this one God remands us to treat others fairly. “You shall love the stranger for you were a stranger in Egypt. (Deuteronomy, 10:19) Jesus goes even farther when he tells us to love our neighbour as yourself.

We can increase our love for other nationalities, the aliens, by associating with them, learn their ways, listen to their stories and help them obtain justice.

In our church it is a matter of taking a look at ourselves in the light of the message of the servant. The church is to remember that God has known us from before the time when we were in our mother's womb; he has made our mouth like a sharp sword to deliver the message to the people; we are made like a polished arrow to deliver the message. Although we often feel as though we labour in vain God tells us that he will become our strength. He even tells us “

It is too small a thing for you to be my servant

to restore the tribes of Jacob

and bring back those of Israel I have kept.

I will also make you a light for the Gentiles,

that you may bring my salvation to the ends of the earth." (49:6)

We in our local church and country tend to look upon ourselves and tend to ask “What can God do for us?”, instead of what we should ask “What can we do for GOD?” we should look around us and see how the mores of society have fallen, see the poverty, the blind, the hungry, the lame and the orphans and widows of society. We should then help in righting an unjust society. We must remember that God says “Love the stranger” and “Go into all the world to preach the gospel.”!

winstony

This happens because aliens tend to be just that - alien. In other words, they are different. They may look different, dress different, or speak different. Their culture is also different so the way they do things is different. It is easier to disregard them than it is to try to understand them and why they do the things they do. Also, sometimes we have a sense that the country is MINE and the aliens are sometimes seen as a threat or simply just out of place. Sometimes we react out of fear as well - fear of what we do not understand.

The only way to do this is to ask God to increase our love. What may also help is if we take the time to understand the people. If we take time to find out about their history and culture that can make it a bit easier.

God’s people are called to be a “light to the nations.” What might that entail for the church in your community? In your country? 

First we must see the nations as people as God sees them. Sometimes we see all the differences. We see the drug dealer vs. worship leader, etc. Being a light means seeing these people as people who need love and salvation. It means showing them the way to Christ through our speech and behavior and the way we treat them. It means showing them a different side to what they see from the other people they interact with from time to time.

People tend to disregard or even discriminate against aliens in their country because they want to feel that they are better than those who are of a different color. If they speak a different language then they might be discriminated because they don’t trust a person that talks different than them.

I think that we can increase our love for people of other nationalities be associating with them and including them in our everyday activities.

To be a light to the nation’s means that we are doing the things that we should be doing. We are always in contact with God and always trying to please him.

• 1 month later...

a. Because of fear..they will consume our scarce resources.

Because of the unknown..suspicion ..fear..we cant trust them.

Because of competition..they may be better than us..

b. By remembering that they are children of the same God. Jesus took a risk when He loved us to death. We too need to take the risk of loving.

c. By their fruits you will know them. In India, my country, we are surrounded with people of many faiths. By our love for one another and for them we can witness to Jesus.