JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. (Isaiah 50:4-9) Who does Isaiah seem to speak about in our passage? In what way is he open to the Lord? In what way does he suffer? When was the Messiah vindicated in history? How will he be vindicated at the end of the age? What character quality is necessary for believers when their vindication doesn’t seem to happen soon enough?

• 2 months later...

Who does Isaiah seem to speak about in our passage?

Jesus

In what way is he open to the Lord? He received all from God the Father, His instructions, His teaching and evn the miracles that He did was the Holy Spirit Who worked through Him in obedience to the Father

In what way does he suffer?

Beaten humiliated, spit upon, insulted, ect leading to the crusifiction. The worse was when He was seperated from God the Father to accept our sins

When was the Messiah vindicated in history?

At the end times - Read Heb1, espeacially from verse 8 onwards

He rose and sit at the right Hand of God.

How will he be vindicated at the end of the age?

He will return as King and ruler

What character quality is necessary for believers when their vindication doesn't seem to happen soon enough?

Who does Isaiah seem to speak about in our passage? the Messiah! JESUS CHRIST

In what way is he open to the Lord?  We know that each morning Jesus would rise early and get away to talk with the Father (Mark 1:35; Luke 4:42; 6:12). 

In what way does he suffer?   False charges, arrested and crucified

When was the Messiah vindicated in history? AT THE RESURRECTION:  God will ultimately vindicate him by resurrection no matter what accusations are made.

How will he be vindicated at the end of the age? This is that final day at Christ's return when,

"... every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father." (Philippians 2:10-11)

Come soon, Lord Jesus

What character quality is necessary for believers when their vindication doesn't seem to happen soon enough? Patience, trust, and belief:  Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly." (1 Peter 2:23)

Q3. (Isaiah 50:4-9)

In what way is he open to the Lord?

What character quality is necessary for believers when their vindication doesn't seem to happen soon enough?

Isaiah is speaking about the Messiah. Everything here speaks directly about our Lord Jesus Christ. Every morning He is open to hear and receive instructions from His Father for that day. He delights in doing the will of God, even if it meant going to the Cross. He did not turn back but willingly gave Himself over to suffering and shame. In full confidence that God would vindicate Him. He was vindicated, of course, by His resurrection and He will come to earth again in full glory. We have to walk in dependence on the LORD and confess our sins and fully acknowledge our need for His grace and forgiveness - to put our trust in the name of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

3. (Isaiah 50:4-9) Who does Isaiah seem to speak about in our passage?

Jesus Christ the Messiah 

He always obeyed the Father and lived in close communion with Him no matter how tired and how busy a schedule He had ...that is something we have to learn ..he was obedient unto death 

First of all Rejection.(.it is a great thing to suffer rejection) then humiliation, scoffed at , mocked, beaten , spat upon , pierced with a crown of thorns, lashed 39 times, nailed , ridiculed that he could not save himself and the MOST TERRIBLE PUNISHMENT WAS THE SEPARATION FROM THE FATHER WHEN HE BORE OUR SINS

In His Ressurrection.

He will come at the end as a Ruler and King  in all glory. 

Faith and Patience....we have to wait His time not OUR WILL .

The Sovereign Lord has given me a well-instructed tongue,
    to know the word that sustains the weary.
He wakens me morning by morning,
    wakens my ear to listen like one being instructed.
The Sovereign Lord has opened my ears;
    I have not been rebellious,
    I have not turned away.
I offered my back to those who beat me,
    my cheeks to those who pulled out my beard;
I did not hide my face
    from mocking and spitting.
Because the Sovereign Lord helps me,
    I will not be disgraced.
Therefore have I set my face like flint,
    and I know I will not be put to shame.
He who vindicates me is near.
    Who then will bring charges against me?
    Let us face each other!
Who is my accuser?
    Let him confront me!
It is the Sovereign Lord who helps me.
    Who will condemn me?
They will all wear out like a garment;
    the moths will eat them up.

Q3. (Isaiah 50:4-9) Who does Isaiah seem to speak about in our passage? In what way is he open to the Lord? In what way does he suffer? When was the Messiah vindicated in history? How will he be vindicated at the end of the age? What character quality is necessary for believers when their vindication doesn't seem to happen soon enough?

We are sinners, we are impatient, we don't pray enought for others, and have many selfish moments, we are desperate to pray for the right thing; we don't herar him. The USA today glorifies football guys, never gives a thought to these kind of things. For us it is a blessing and a curse.

How can we dare speak the words that "vindication doesn't ever happen soon enough." we are the clay, He is the potter. It doesn't matter what we see or ask for, His will shall be done in His time!

The Sovereign Lord has given me a well-instructed tongue,
    to know the word that sustains the weary.
He wakens me morning by morning,
    wakens my ear to listen like one being instructed.
The Sovereign Lord has opened my ears;
    I have not been rebellious,
    I have not turned away.
I offered my back to those who beat me,
    my cheeks to those who pulled out my beard;
I did not hide my face
    from mocking and spitting.
Because the Sovereign Lord helps me,
    I will not be disgraced.
Therefore have I set my face like flint,
    and I know I will not be put to shame.
He who vindicates me is near.
    Who then will bring charges against me?
    Let us face each other!
Who is my accuser?
    Let him confront me!
It is the Sovereign Lord who helps me.
    Who will condemn me?
They will all wear out like a garment;
    the moths will eat them up.

Q3. (Isaiah 50:4-9) Who does Isaiah seem to speak about in our passage? In what way is he open to the Lord? In what way does he suffer? When was the Messiah vindicated in history? How will he be vindicated at the end of the age? What character quality is necessary for believers when their vindication doesn't seem to happen soon enough?

We are sinners, we are impatient, we don't pray enought for others, and have many selfish moments, we are desperate to pray for the right thing; we don't herar him. The USA today glorifies football guys, never gives a thought to these kind of things. For us it is a blessing and a curse.

How can we dare speak the words that "vindication doesn't ever happen soon enough." we are the clay, He is the potter. It doesn't matter what we see or ask for, His will shall be done in His time!

I'm being taught to pray the serenity prayer, "Lord please give me the serenity to accept what I can't change" that is everfyone else... "give me courage to change what I can."  that is me, with the help of the Lord. "and the wisdom to know the difference." That we hope will come over time, from GOD and GOD alone.

the Messiah--Jesus

He listened to & obeyed the Lord God--seeking His will.

He was accused, mocked, spit upon, beaten & beard pulled out.

He was vindicated in the Resurrection.

He will return as the King of Kings and Lord of Lords over the entire earth.

prayerful patience

Q3. (Isaiah 50:4-9) Who does Isaiah seem to speak about in our passage?

Well, now I know it's Jesus Christ. I didn't know this was a Messianic passage until today. Now it all makes sense to me!

Every morning He would commune with God, His Father. That was the source of His wisdom.

They beat him almost to death and pulled out his beard. They also mocked Him and spat on Him.

At His resurrection. AND as the Christian movement gathered momentum. God was adding daily to their number those who were being saved.

At His second coming Jesus will establish His reign for all time.

What character quality is necessary for believers when their vindication doesn’t seem to happen soon enough?

Patience and an enduring faith that God will vindicate us, even if it's not in this life.

On 8/1/2013 at 10:21 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Messiah Jesus.

In every way! His tongue spoke God's Word, He relied upon His Father/God even to awaken Him in the morning. His ear was tuned to hear as a disciple eager to learn. He was in total submission to His Father's will and purpose.

He gave His back to those who scourged Him, spit on Him, plucked out His beard, humiliated and mocked Him, falsely accused Him, called Him vile names,  then He was crucified  naked outside the city gates like refuse or dung, by the hands of those He came to save, who knew the prophecies and ignored Truth in the flesh!

When He rose from the dead and proved He is the Son of God, Savior, Messiah and soon coming King.

When He returns to set up His kingdom after defeating Israel's enemies at Armageddon, and they will finally recognize Him as their Messiah after His miraculous intervention and deliverance!

What character quality is necessary for believers when their vindication doesn’t seem to happen soon enough?

Patience and humility (meekness) Accepting, as Jesus said, "The servant is not above his master"...as He suffered, so will His followers. Trust His timing for vindication. (I've been waiting for 40 years, but He will vindicate me as He promised!)

He is speaking about the Messiah.

His mind is open to learn from the Father what to say and do; His ears are open to the Father’s voice and He listens and obeys.  

He is scorned, scourged, slapped, spat upon, and his beard snatched out.  Followed by crucifixion.  

His vindication came with His resurrection.

Every knee will bow and every mouth proclaim that Jesus is Lord.

Faith.  Ultimately it is faith that keeps us steadfast and patient as we wait for vindication.  

Isaiah is talking about the suffering servant, Jesus in these passages. 

Jesus was open to the Father to listen and hear from Him. He was entrusted to speak what the Father told Him to the weary and worn.

"He has given me an instructed tongue to know the word that sustains the weary." "He wakens me morning by morning, wakens my ear to listen like one being taught." Jesus was open to seek the Father and receive instruction and a word for the people.

To declare these messages was costly but Jesus was faithful to do so. Jesus suffered by being beaten. "I offered my back to those who beat me, my cheeks to those who pulled out my beard. "Jesus was mocked, spit on, and was falsely accused. He was condemned to die as an innocent man and was crucified.

The Messiah, Jesus, was vindicated when He rose from the dead. He was proven to be the Son of God! Death could not hold Him. The grave could not keep Him. He crushed satan under His feet and overcame sin.

He will be vindicated at the end of the age when He comes again to reign as King over all! Every knee will bow and every tongue confess that He is Lord and He will reign forever and ever! AMEN!

The character qualities we need when our vindication doesn't happen soon enough is patience and long suffering. We need to trust in faith that our Father will come to judge justly for us in His time.

Who does Isaiah seem to speak about in our passage? Isaiah is speaking about Jesus.

In what way is he open to the Lord? He has to declare Yahweh's message which is a costly thing to do, resulting in physical abuse. But He does not waver.

In what way does he suffer? He was falsely charged, people mocked at him beat him, pulled his beared, and He suffered death on the cross.

When was the Messiah vindicated in history? When He was resurrected from death.

How will he be vindicated at the end of the age?  He will come again in all Glory to judge the living and the dead.  He will rule over all the earth.

What character quality is necessary for believers when their vindication doesn't seem to happen soon enough? Faith, Humility and Patience.

1. Isaiah is speaking about JESUS.

2. JESUS is open to the LORD: Because all His knowledge and instruction comes from the LORD.

3. JESUS suffered beatings, pulling out His beard, mocking and spitting on Him.

4. The Messiah was vindicated when He rose from the dead.

5. He will be vincated at the end of ages when every eye will see Him, every knee will bow, every tongue will confess that JESUS CHRIST is LORD, and He will take His Seat at the Right Hand of GOD.

6. When vindication doesn't seems to come soon enought? Keep trusting in GOD, knowing He will vindicate us.

Q3. (Isaiah 50:4-9) Who does Isaiah seem to speak about in our passage? Isaiah is speaking of the Lamb of God, the soon coming Messiah of Israel.

In what way is he open to the Lord? He came to do the will of the Father, He was open to the divine commission God called him to and he would not shrink from the goal set before him, when insults are hurled at him, he would not retaliate, he would not threaten to call a thousand angels to come, instead, He put his trust in His Fathers love.

In what way does he suffer? His suffering was of the highest order - taking on himself the calamity of "SIN" and all its attributes of insults, torture, and degradation of all kinds.

When was the Messiah vindicated in history? When He conquered sin and death and rose from the dead, as prophesied.

How will he be vindicated at the end of the age? Every knee will bow and understand - He is the Messiah called to bring peace to the world.

What character quality is necessary for believers when their vindication doesn't seem to happen soon enough? We must stay strong in the "LORD" - We are to be light when there is only darkness, a light that will shine glory up to God by placing our trust in His love.

Isaiah is speaking about the Messiah our Lord Jesus Christ.

He is open to carry on the mission his Father has entrusted to him. He is obidient to the commands given by his Father and he bears the insults and accusations of his enemies  for the sake of salvation of the whole mankind.

He is suffering physically because his enemies have wounded his body. Also he is suffering mentally because of the insults and accusations that are thrown at him.

The messiah was vindicated when we rose from the dead making a public spectacle of his enemies that opposed him and having disarmed their powers and seated at the right hand of God the Father.

At the end age all nations will bow down and worship the King of Kings and Lord of lords and he shall reign with majesty, power and authority over all the earth.

we must put our trust and hope in Jesus. we should praise and worship him and keep our focus on him. we need to wait upon him and his strength will cause to triumph over every situation we may face.

Isaiah is prophesying about how our Savior, Messiah, Jesus Christ will relate to others during His time on earth. He always managed time alone with His Father to receive instruction and Godly wisdom. Jesus faced leaders who falsely accused and charged Him at His trial in front of the Temple priest. when He died for all our sins, arose to victory, and then exalted by God's right hand was the time God vindicated Him. At the end of this age, Christ will be married to His bride, the church, and all the world will know that He reigns.

When we face our own trials, we need to trust that He who judges us "justly," will also guard and protect us from all troubles.

• 2 weeks later...

1.  Isaiah is assuring the people that God will deliver them from Babylon.  The Messiah will come to deliver them.

In what way is he open to the Lord? In what way does he suffer?

2.  By listening to what God has to say to give to His people.  He will receive physical abuse. He knew he would be arrested and crucified but did not turn away from his mission. 

When was the Messiah vindicated in history? How will he be vindicated at the end of the age?

3.  He will be vindicated by his resurrection.  He will reign as King and every knee shall bow, every tongue confess that He is Lord.

4.  We must be steadfast and know that God will act on our behalf when the time is right.

Q3. (Isaiah 50:4-9) Who does Isaiah seem to speak about in our passage? In what way is he open to the Lord? In what way does he suffer? When was the Messiah vindicated in history? How will he be vindicated at the end of the age? What character quality is necessary for believers when their vindication doesn’t seem to happen soon enough?

He seems to be speaking of Jesus Christ.  The Obedient Servant, Messiah, is in touch with the Lord God Almighty each morning where God makes known to him his will.  Apparently God makes his will known to the Messiah each morning.   The Messiah does not rebel against or turn away from God.  So, the Messiah is always open to the Lord because he chooses to be. 

The Messiah, Jesus Christ, was vindicated in history when God raised Him from the dead.  Jesus will be vindicated at the end of the age upon His second advent when every knee shalt bow and every tongue shall confess that Jesus Christ is Lord.

Patience and perseverance in Jesus Christ carries the day until personal vindication happens.  Trust in the Lord and don't get hung up with the world.

He seems to be speaking of Jesus Christ.  The Obedient Servant, Messiah, is in touch with the Lord God Almighty each morning where God makes known to him his will.  Apparently God makes his will known to the Messiah each morning.   The Messiah does not rebel against or turn away from God.  So, the Messiah is always open to the Lord because he chooses to be. 

The Messiah, Jesus Christ, was vindicated in history when God raised Him from the dead.  Jesus will be vindicated at the end of the age upon His second advent when every knee shalt bow and every tongue shall confess that Jesus Christ is Lord.

Patience and perseverance in Jesus Christ carries the day until personal vindication happens.  Trust in the Lord and don't get hung up with the world.

Question 8.3

It seems as if the Lord is speaking to his servant in verses 4 to 9.  For we see that the servant is open to the Lord and the Lord has given him the tongue of ta teacher so that the weary may be sustained.  Th Lord has given his servant the quality of hearing the cry of complaint of the oppressed just as the Lord himself heard the cry of the oppressed slaves in Egypt.  The servant did not turn back once he set his face steadfastly to go the Jerusalem (luke 9:51) where he gave his back to those who whipped him, he gave his cheek for his beard to be pulled and he did not react when he was spit upon.
If one feeds this account from a christological point of view, one is able to see many of the events recorded above in the gospels.  This seem to us to be speaking to Jesus of Nazareth.
In this age which is for us the day of the Lord we must trust that the Lord - Father, Son and Hotly Spirit as we struggle forward to do the work of the Lord.  We must trust that he who vindicates us , he who clears us of all blame or suspicion cloaked in a cloak of righteousness placed upon us by the hands of Christ, the Messiah.  We need to be patient for sometimes it seems that we like the exiles have been neglected by God but we must trust that he will come and support just as he promised the exiles that he would support them.
There seems to have been a sense or a need of vindication however or vindication is in the Lord.  It is he that clears us - he makes us righteousness, he takes our sins and makes us as white as snow.  
A necessary quality of character that is necessary for believers is patience and trust. 

winstony

It seems that Isaiah is speaking about Jesus in this passage because this is what Jesus had to go through when they crucified him. Jesus never cursed those who were punishing him but always relied on the Lord for his protection.

When Jesus was taking on our sins he had to be separated from God because of our sins. This is the way that he suffered for us. The Messiah was vindicated on the day of the resurrection. And he will be vindicated again when he appears again during the rapture. We need to take on the character quality of trusting in the Lord for our justice. We know in the end we will be vindicated.

• 1 year later...

In this passage, Isaiah is talking about Jesus the Messiah. Jesus was always aware of the will of the Father. His prayers were intimate conversations with God. Jesus became man and suffered on a daily basis. He was tormented by the Pharasees. He was ridiculed by his own family and friends. He was sentenced to die a very unjust death. However, Jesus rose above all of these things and was glorified in heaven. At the end times, He will return in his full glory to judge all the earth. I feel that people need to have patience in the Lord. We need to realize that God will judge peopel in His time frame not ours. And I feel that we need to let go of our negative feelings and pray for understanding hearts. We need to see the silver lining in all situations not just vindicated ones.

• 7 years later...

I’m not sure to whom Isaiah is exclusively talking. The characters in these prophecies seem to switch from contemporary or near-future figures to long-distant figures … it’s difficult to know if Isaiah is talking about the people who surrounded him, people a few generations removed from him, people at the time of Christ or people living in the end times. Reading back, we know to whom he speaks -- at least in part -- the Messiah. He's talking about Jesus. But the people who heard the original prophecy probably did not connect these dots.

Additionally, Isaiah's prophecies seem to be intended for different groups at different times in history.

Perhaps Isaiah is talking to the people living around and at the same time as Isaiah; and simultaneously talking about Christ in their far-future. Isaiah is open to the Lord.

The Messiah was vindicated, in part, at His resurrection. He defied death which rendered suffering moot. In part, too, the Messiah has not yet been fully vindicated. This will happen when He finally rules over all in the end times.

The phrase, "set my face like flint" is used, I believe, in secular literature -- Shakespeare?  I know that my very secular, atheistic father used to tell me to set my face like flint when he thought I needed to be determined and focused. The phrase was used to describe positive character traits, persistence and prevailing determination. When vindication is delayed, rather than take things into my own hands and exact vengeance, I was told to bear it in silence, to set my face like flint.

In the vernacular, "grin and bear it."