JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. A Substitutionary Atonement

• 3 months later...

Isaiah 53 teaches what theologians call "the substitutionary atonement." In what sense does the Servant act as a substitute to bear our sins? Put it in your own words.

Jesus Who had no sins, Who acted as a Servant while He was on earth (healing sick, plenty miracles, teaching, explaining, washing of feet ect) accepted our sins and died for us on the cross (the symbole of sin) He served us to such an extend that He died for us as a service of saving grace. His death substituded our spiritual death.

Q3. (Isaiah 53) Isaiah 53 teaches what theologians call "the substitutionary atonement."

The wages of sin are death....so we break the law we deserve to die....that was the OT

When we commit wrong we have to be punished and in the OT "sin offering" was given to the High Priest so that the persons sins were forgiven by the shed blood of the animal which was generally a Lamb ..after the Priest offered.. this the people were pronounced cleansed from their sins.

In the same way Jesus posed as the Lamb and His body was put on a cross ( which was the olden days concept for hanging) . punishemnt for crime.. His body was in lieu of  the "sin offering"  

His  shed blood  gave " the cleansing" to all humanity .

So if you believe this  " that Jesus was the sin offering  who died for you then you are SAVED from the Spiritual death which is supposed to come to you as a punnishment  for  your sin. and you will live with God forever and ever.

In what sense does the Servant act as a substitute to bear our sins? Put it in your own words.

Let us take a 18 year old boy kills his dad in the house........

when the police comes the mother comes forward and claims that she has committed the murder and she is hanged for the murder.of her husband though actually the son does the crime.

She dies for the crime of her son.....substitiuition...

In a broader way...

soldiers in a concentration camps are made to take thier rifles out every day and clean them and deposit them at the end of the day.

On a particular day one rifle was missing and the sentry on duty ordered the soldier who had not deposited the rifle to confess and speak up..no one came forward so the  sentry said all would be punished if the culprit didn't own up .

Then one soldier walked forward and said he ahd taken the rifle...at that he was shot dead.

later they re checked the rifles and found they were complete in number and actually there  no rifle was missing.

.The  soldier gave his life for all the soldiers  otherwise all were going to be killed. He was innocent without crime .but he gave his life for ALL.

IN SOMEWHAT THE SAME WAY ...CHRIST WHO WAS INNOCENT GAVE HIS LIFE FOR ALL .who were to undergo punishment.  

..that is substittuition

Under the Levitical system of sacrifice, sin was transferred from the sinner to the sacrifice by means of the laying on of hands (Leviticus 4:33). The sin is understood to pass from the sinner to the sacrifice, which then carries the sins.  In the New Testament Jesus is like the lamb, He was born sinless, but he bore our sins in his sinless body and hung on the cross.

Substitutionary Atonement in my understanding of it, is when Jesus (the innocent, without sin, servant) took our sins and bore the weight of them and was punished for them. We, (the guilty ones;sinners) can now be free (forgiven; pardoned) of those sins and we now obtain the righteousness of Christ (but only by what HE did. Never in and of ourselves) It is because of the covering of Jesus' blood that we are made right with God. It is through this sacrifice He willingly gave for us and only through faith in this gift to us that we will be saved.

When anyone comes to believe in this truth, they enter into the Kingdom of God and Jesus' righteousness covers us. If anyone rejects this gift, they are not covered by the blood of Jesus and remain in bondage to sin and are unrighteous. Sin can only be cleansed by the blood of Christ and righteousness before God is only given through His blood and the righteousness of Christ.

Isaiah 53 teaches what theologians call "the substitutionary atonement." In what sense does the Servant act as a substitute to bear our sins? Put it in your own words.

Clearly we were sinners and God being a righteous God had to hold us accountable.  Jesus, though not a sinner, served as a pure sacrifice undergoing all of the punishment, even death, due a sinner.  To me, it has the essence of bailing someone out of jail only the bond is HIs life, forever.

Q3. (Isaiah 53) Isaiah 53 teaches what theologians call “the substitutionary atonement.” In what sense does the Servant act as a substitute to bear our sins? Put it in your own words.

Just as sin and death entered the world through the actions of one man, Adam, so forgiveness and eternal life have been procured by the actions of one man, Jesus. God made Him the perfect sacrifice to atone for the multitudinous sins of the entire human race. Without the shedding of blood there is no remission of sin. God instituted that long ago. But the blood of animals is not sufficient to fully buy total forgiveness, once and for all. God paid the penalty He Himself had declared was necessary in the body of His only Son. Only the sacrifice of a completely sinless man can accomplish true lasting forgiveness. That man is God the Son, Jesus Himself who was God in human form.

1. In what sense the Servant act as a substitue to bear our sins? JESUS who had no sins bear our sin on the cross. It was God's will to demonstrate His love for us by allowing His only Son JESUS CHRIST:

-To be pierced for our transgressions.

-To be crushed for our inquities.

-His punishment brough us peace, and by His wounds we were healed.

Q3. (Isaiah 53) Isaiah 53 teaches what theologians call "the substitutionary atonement." In what sense does the Servant act as a substitute to bear our sins?  Put it in your own words.

The sin offering has to be sinless, but we are ALL sinners.  The animal sacrifices of the OT Law were established to remind God’s people that they were sinners.  However, the spotless lamb of OT sacrifices was only a shadow of the true sacrificial Lamb.  To atone for our sins, we needed a man, a sinless man, but there could not be a natural sinless man after Adam’s fall.  We had no hope of salvation at all.

Just as God provided a substitute for Isaac, He provided a substitute for us: Jesus, the spotless Lamb of God.  Born of a woman, but by the Holy Spirit, He was therefore without the sin that came to natural man through Adam's fall, and  He lived a sinless, obedient life.

Q3. (Isaiah 53)

Isaiah 53 teaches what theologians call "the substitutionary atonement."

In what sense does the Servant act as a substitute to bear our sins?

Put it in your own words.

To think that He has exchanged my sins for His righteousness! Truly, a sinner saved by grace. Then not only for me but for the whole world! There are no words to properly describe this act of grace! Jesus Christ suffered a substitutionary death for our sins – past, present, and future sins! If only the world would believe in Jesus Christ – not about Him, but in Him – there would be instant peace that surpasses all understanding. 

Q3. (Isaiah 53) Isaiah 53 teaches what theologians call "the substitutionary atonement." In what sense does the Servant act as a substitute to bear our sins? Put it in your own words.

A perfect lamb was offered up yearly as substitute “ Atonement" for the transgressions of the nation Israel, but the sins of the  "WORLD" - that would require something more powerful and more precious than an animal could ever “ATONE” for, but, it is written, There is not one "RIGHTEOUS" man here on earth, not one who is good, for they are full of cursing and bitterness, they have feet that are  quick to shed blood (abortions), their goals lead to destruction and misery, there is not one who is "PERFECT"

There is not one who would be willing to be and had the qualifications required to make "Atonement" – to “STAND IN” for something as atrocious, dreadful, ghastly, hideous, horrifying, and gruesome, as that of the "SINS of the world.

However, in the awesome love of the Father, He allowed his Son to leave His place of Glory, and because of the awesome love of the Son, He willingly came to make payment on something the world could not pay, He came as a servant, acting in place of another, ( me)   

However, He came not just to bring "SALVATION" but to change the "MANY" (me) -- for unto him that loved me, and washed me from my sins in his own blood, and made me king and priest unto God and his Father, I am so blessed, for I had ears to hear God's words, and I have a new desire to "KEEP" those things which are written down, for it is "TODAY", the time is at hand for me to show my love to Him for taking my place, of what I deserved.

To be honest, there are no words in my heart that would fully explain what His “Substitutionary Atonement” has meant to me except - that of “LOVE”

Isaiah 53) Isaiah 53 teaches what theologians call "the substitutionary atonement." In what sense does the Servant act as a substitute to bear our sins? Put it in your own words.

To be the substitutionary  atonement for the sin of the human race required a pure,  spotless, sinless substitute.  Only God is pure, spotless, sinless so He came for the purpose of being the substitutionary atonement through the person  of Jesus Christ, the spotless Lamb of God.

God Bless

Jen

Romans 15:13

On 8/1/2013 at 10:28 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (Isaiah 53) Isaiah 53 teaches what theologians call “the substitutionary atonement.” In what sense does the Servant act as a substitute to bear our sins? Put it in your own words.

If I owe a debt which is impossible for me to pay and another pays the debt completely for me, that is substitutionary debt cancellation, but doesn't explain completely what Jesus did for me. I belonged to God before Adam fell, so that when Jesus paid the debt for my sin, He was actually redeeming me, or "buying back" that which had been stolen from Him.  When He cried "It is finished!" on the cross, His suffering and death was exchanged for my sin and unrighteousness, and "PAID IN FULL", was written for eternity in His precious blood!

Beforehand God's people had to sacrifice an unblemished animal as an act of atonement. The animal was a substitute our sins, yet it did not complete forgive us of our sinful natures. Year after year this had to be done. Jesu, who was sinless and perfect, was the a sacrifice that ultimately redeem all people of their sins once and for all.

• 3 weeks later...

Question 9 - 3

The idea of atonement seems to come out of Leviticus .  In chapter 14, 21 - 25 we read of how a male lamb is to be offered in an atonement for sins (satisfaction, reparation, or expiation given for an injury or wrong) .  Leviticus chapter 16 gives an account of the atonement sacrifice of the priest who like Zechariah in Luke 1 goes into the temple after sacrifice as an atonement for the sins of the people.  The priest represents the people and he , the priest stands before the Lord Yahweh and represents the prayers of the community .  The priest is the only one to go into the holy of holiest, the inner sanctuary.  There in the sanctuary the priest offers prayers and in the act of laying on of hands the sins of the many are transmitted to the sacrifice and the people are cleansed, made righteous before God.  

The followers of Jesus after his death and resurrection felt in their inner being that something unique, something different, something joyful, something gracious had happened to them.  It was the presence of God through the Holy Spirit present in their souls.  This was such an uplifting of joy and happiness to them that they became to see that what had actually happened was that the prophecy of Isaiah 52, verse 13 - had been fulfilled and that just as Zechariah the one had come before God in the inner temple and made an atonement for the people then also had Jesus as the priest, a representative of the people, made an atonement before God.  So that we who love Christ can stand before God cloaked in righteousness, the righteousness of Jesus the Messiah, the suffering servant of Isaiah 52:13 -53:12.

Jesus through his death and in his shed blood enables our sins to pass by the symbolic laying on of hands in baptism and by the symbolic cleansing of water so that we are cleansed and stand before God in righteousness.  

It is rather interesting to note that in Leviticus the poor can have their sins atoned for a lesser sacrifice than the rich.

winstony

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...

The idea behind substitutionary atonement is that one man, Adam, messed it up for all subsequent people and then one man, Jesus, cleaned it up for all subsequent people.

Where this neat atonement breaks down is this: though Adam's sin impacted all humanity, human organizations, governments, etc., but Jesus' self-sacrifice requires "buy-in" because there's no blanket forgiveness through Jesus' death and resurrection (unless you're a hard core universalist.)

Adam's sin substituted for my sin -- it was predictive, in a sense: Jesus's death substituted for mine -- I was chosen, also predictive.

--

Frankly, I don't know why God was ever satisfied with burnt animal sacrifices substituting for sin, nor do I know why God was willing to let Jesus, as a man, also act as a sacrifice for sin. I understand that God's notion of justice requires something to be done, but, well, God is God and His notion of justice could have been expressed differently. The idea of animal sacrifice and substitution seems a bit primitive, that's all.

But this is the way it is in the Bible. Just has to be accepted.

• 1 month later...

A servant is a substitute who bears our sins. Substitutionary atonement refers to Jesus dying as a substitute for sinners. The Scripture teaches that all men are sinners. The penalty for sinfulness is death Romans 6:23 =
for the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Jesus died for us because He loved us