JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. New Testament Echoes

Q5. (Isaiah 53) Which single New Testament passage best sums up for you the lessons of Isaiah 53? Why did you choose this passage? (Select from Matthew 26:38-42; Luke 22:37; John 1:29; Romans 3:24-26; 2 Corinthians 5:20-21; 1 Peter 2:24-25; 1 Peter 3:18; Philippians 2:5-11 – or any other passage you can think of.)

• 3 months later...

Which single New Testament passage best sums up for you the lessons of Isaiah 53? Why did you chose this passage?

Matthew 26:38-42 Absolute obedience from a servant Who knows the suffering that is coming.

2 Corinthians 5:20-21 Again an obedient servant Who died for our sins

Math 12:18-21 God the Father called Jesus a servant

Mark 14:65. The servants were casting punishment on the Servant of Servants

(Select from Matthew 26:38-42; Luke 22:37; John 1:29; Romans 3:24-26; 2 Corinthians 5:20-21; 1 Peter 2:24-25; 1 Peter 3:18; Philippians 2:5-11 -- or any other passage you can think of.)

Q5. (Isaiah 53) Which single New Testament passage best sums up for you the lessons of Isaiah 53? Why did you chose this passage? (Select from Matthew 26:38-42; Luke 22:37; John 1:29; Romans 3:24-26; 2 Corinthians 5:20-21; 1 Peter 2:24-25; 1 Peter 3:18; Philippians 2:5-11 -- or any other passage you can think of.)[/size]

Philippians 2:5-11

1. It tells us of his being God but coming to earth in humble  human form 

2. It specifiacally tells us of the Servant role  which Isaaiah 53 is all about

3  It tells us He was obedient to death

4. It tells us of His suffering and death on the cross

But if you combine it with 1PETER 2 20-24 it will give the full picture

5   The shepherd role is noted

6   He bore our iniquites and healed our diseases

7.    He was reviled and kept quiet like a sheeo going for slaughter

The 2  texts  complete the picture of Isaiah 53. 

5. It 

Which single New Testament passage best sums up for you the lessons of Isaiah 53? (Philippians 2:9-11)

Why did you chose this passage? (Select from Matthew 26:38-42; Luke 22:37; John 1:29; Romans 3:24-26; 2 Corinthians 5:20-21; 1 Peter 2:24-25; 1 Peter 3:18; Philippians 2:5-11 -- or any other passage you can think of.)

This verse says it all.  It is already done.  As a result, He is exalted beyond human measure and ultimate power.

"Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
and gave him the name that is above every name,
that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father."  (Philippians 2:9-11)

1 Peter 2:24-25  “He himself bore our sins” in his body on the cross, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; “by his wounds you have been healed.”  For “you were like sheep going astray,” but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls.

1 Peter 2: 24-25. Jesus love for me was so great that he was punished and died a shameful death on the cross for my sins and set me free. His death on the cross redeems me and gives me the grace die to sin and live a righteous life . His death on the cross has made me return to Him and He is my Shepherd and i am his sheep. A victorious life i live now by the power of the precious blood of my Lord Jesus Christ shed on the Cross for me! I am crucified in Christ and it is no longer I live but Christ lives in me! The life i now live i live by faith in the Son of God who loved me and gave himself for me.

Q5. (Isaiah 53) Which single New Testament passage best sums up for you the lessons of Isaiah 53?

Philippians 2:5-11  (NKJV)   Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus,  who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God,  but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men.  And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.  Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name,  that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth,  and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Why did you choose this passage?

I see Isaiah 53 as all about Jesus.  Philippians 2:5-11 has the same focus, taking us from Jesus in the form of God, through His service and His sacrifice to His exaltation.    And with the introductory “Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus” and ending with “every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father” it also shows our proper role.

Q5. (Isaiah 53)

Which single New Testament passage best sums up for you the lessons of Isaiah 53?

Why did you chose this passage? (Select from Matthew 26:38-42; Luke 22:37; John 1:29; Romans 3:24-26; 2 Corinthians 5:20-21; 1 Peter 2:24-25; 1 Peter 3:18; Philippians 2:5-11 - or any other passage you can think of.)

The passage that best sums up Isaiah 53 for me would be 1 Peter 2:21-25.  I chose this passage because of the great number of similarities:

v. 21 - Christ suffered for you – see Isaiah 53:4-5.

v. 22 - He committed no sin and no deceit was found in His mouth – see Isaiah 53:9.

v. 23 - When they hurled their insults at Him, He did not retaliate – see Isaiah 53:7.

v. 24 – He Himself bore our sins in His body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness - see Isaiah 53:4; Isaiah 53:11.

v. 24 – By His wounds we have been healed - see Isaiah 53:5.

v. 25 - For you were like sheep going astray – see Isaiah 53:6.

1. Which of the New Testament passage sums up the lesson of Isaiah 53?

-Philippians 2:9-11 sums it up best. After suffering and dying for our sins, God raised Him from the dead. He is now seated at the right hand of God in Heaven. His Name is above all names. At His Name every knee will bow, and every tongue will confess that CHRIST JESUS is Lord to the Glory of God the Father.

2. I chose this one because it explains the past when He died for sins, and was risen from the dead, the present where he is today (at our Father's right Hand) and the future, when every knee will bow in Heaven on earth, and under the earth before Him.

3. Luke 22:37 sums it up best when JESUS said:

- "It is written, He was numbered with the transgressors' and I tell you this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written is reaching its fulfillment."

Q5. (Isaiah 53) Which single New Testament passage best sums up for you the lessons of Isaiah 53? Why did you chose this passage? (Select from Matthew 26:38-42; Luke 22:37; John 1:29; Romans 3:24-26; 2 Corinthians 5:20-21; 1 Peter 2:24-25; 1 Peter 3:18; Philippians 2:5-11 – or any other passage you can think of.)

Of the passages suggested, 1 Peter 2:24-25 best sums it up, I think.

Wow! That's a hard question! There are many New Testament passages that cross reference Isaiah 53, but if I have to choose one passage that best sums up all of Isaiah 53, it would probably be 1 Peter 2 starting at verse 21 and ending at verse 25.

Christ suffered for us, He committed no sin, no deceit was found in Him, when He was reviled He did not revile, when He suffered He did not threaten but committed Himself to Him who judges righteously, He bore our sins on the tree, that we, having died to sins, might live for righteousness, by His stripes we are healed. He is the shepherd and overseer of our souls.

I liked ! Peter 2:24-25--"He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed. For you were like sheep going astray, but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls."

Q5. (Isaiah 53) Which single New Testament passage best sums up for you the lessons of Isaiah 53? Why did you chose this passage? (Select from Matthew 26:38-42; Luke 22:37; John 1:29; Romans 3:24-26; 2 Corinthians 5:20-21; 1 Peter 2:24-25; 1 Peter 3:18; Philippians 2:5-11 -- or any other passage you can think of.)

This is a hard choice as they all have some aspect to emphasize as this is so deep and so full.

If I had to pick one I would pick Matthew 26:38-42.  To me this speaks volumns of the agony Christ knew He would willingly suffer and already was suffering in the anticipation of what was coming.  The awful price He paid for a sinner such as me.  I am so sorry Lord for my sin and I thank you for paying that price for me.

I also like John 1:29 in that it just  says Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world.  It shows the side that shows it is all on Jesus and not on us.  He paid the price, we reap the benefits.  How unworthy of this strange kind of love I feel. And how unable to express.   Just bow my head and weep.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

I believe 2 Corinthians 5: 21 sums it up well: "For our sake he made him sin, who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God."

Q5. (Isaiah 53) Which single New Testament passage best sums up for you the lessons of Isaiah 53?  (Select from Matthew 26:38-42; Luke 22:37; John 1:29; Romans 3:24-26; 2 Corinthians 5:20-21; 1 Peter 2:24-25; 1 Peter 3:18; Philippians 2:5-11 -- or any other passage you can think of.)

(Isa 53:1)Who hath believed our report? And to whom is the ARM of the LORD revealed? = (Isa 52:10) The LORD hath made bare his HOLY ARM in the eyes of all the nations; and all the ends of the earth shall see the salvation of our God.

The New Testament passage I chose is (1Pe 2:24) who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

Why did you choose this passage?

I chose this passage because I believed what the remnant of believers in Israel reported, that the arm of the LORD would be extended to the world, for it was when His Son came that God's holy arm reached out and touched my heart and brought healing to my soul, when my Lord Yeshua, (Jesus) took those stripes that bore my sin, (Isa 53:5) He was wounded for my transgressions, He was bruised for my iniquities: the chastisement of my peace was upon him; and with his stripes (I) was healed.

He brought life instead of death, with a purpose, that I being dead to sin, I should therefore live unto righteousness: for it was by His stripes that I am healed.

On 8/1/2013 at 10:30 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q5. (Isaiah 53) Which single New Testament passage best sums up for you the lessons of Isaiah 53? Why did you chose this passage? (Select from Matthew 26:38-42; Luke 22:37; John 1:29; Romans 3:24-26; 2 Corinthians 5:20-21; 1 Peter 2:24-25; 1 Peter 3:18; Philippians 2:5-11 – or any other passage you can think of.)

Phil 2:5-11: "Let this same attitude and purpose and humble mind be in you which was in Christ Jesus; Let Him be your example in humility: Who although being essentially one with God and in the form of God possessing the fullness of the attributes which make God God, did not think this equality with God was a thing to be eagerly grasped or obtained, but stripped Himself of all privileges and rightful dignity, so as to assume the guise of a servant or slave in that He became like men and was born a human being. And after He had appeared in human form, He abased and humbled Himself still further and carried His obedience to the extreme of death, even the death of the cross.! Therefore because He stooped so low God has freely bestowed on Him the NAME that is above every name (power and authority), that in and at the name of Jesus every knee must bow in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and EVERY TONGUE frankly and openly confess and acknowledge that Jesus Christ is LORD, to the glory of God the Father!."

I chose it because it so powerfully tells me Who Jesus was before coming to earth (Creator God, High and lifted up), Who He was while on earth (humble, suffering obedient servant Who came to die for me, fully God and fully sinless man) Who He is now (My Savior, My Lord, My God...and that of the whole world, if accepted), Who He will be when time on earth runs out (Creator God, Highly exalted Whose Name is above ALL names to the glory of God the Father)....and to even imagine what eternity with our precious Lord is going to be like is beyond what I can think or imagine....even so, Come quickly, Lord Jesus.

Message from Pastor Ralph today regarding the problem receiving the lesson emails:

I have been having serious problems with my e-mail server and since Monday,
November 4, none of the e-mails have gotten out. I am truly sorry and am
working hard to remedy this situation.

Until then you may find links to the lessons you're missing at:

http://www.jesuswalk...aiah/isaiah.htm

Please let those on the forum know about the situation. Thanks.

May God richly bless you

Yours in Christ's service,
Pastor Ralph

• 3 weeks later...
Question 9-5
The scripture that seems best describes Isaiah 53 is 1 Peter 2:24-25 , “He himself bore our sins in his body on the cross, so that, free from sins, we might live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed.  For you were going astray like sheep, but now you have returned to the shepherd and guardian of your souls”.  

Verse 24 speaks of Jesus being the atonement for our sins.  Peter here is explaining, preaching to his hearers that Jesus, got himself is substitute for people for us.  God through Jesus receive the punishment for our sins.  The punishment we should receive.  This means that every time I sin Jesus bears the punishment  - when I sin Jesus winces in pain. In this process of atonement by his wounds we are healed and we are made righteous before god.  

Verse 25 is a verse of more comforting words that remind us that we can always return to Christ for Jesus is the guardian of our souls.

winstony

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...

Of the verses listed, the last, Philippians 2.5f well summarizes Isaiah 53.

This verse starts by reminding us to "Let this mind be in (us) which was also in Christ Jesus ..."

"This mind" is the attitude of putting others before ourselves, of selflessly serving others before we take what we may have earned or deserved. 

We are to be like Christ, the suffering servant. We are to suffer and serve, to suffer as we serve, and to serve until we suffer.

• 1 month later...