JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. You Are Our Father

Q3. (Isaiah 63:7-64:12) What is the basis of Israel’s expectation of salvation according to this prophecy? What does 64:5-7 teach us about the quality of our righteousness? How are we to see our relationship to God according to 63:16 and 64:8-9? What does this passage teach about grace?

• 3 months later...

Q3. (Isaiah 63:7-64:12)

What is the basis of Israel's expectation of salvation according to this prophecy?

What does 64:5-7 teach us about the quality of our righteousness?

How are we to see our relationship to God according to 63:16 and 64:8-9?

What does this passage teach about grace?

They had experienced God’s mercy in delivering them from Egypt, leading them through the wilderness, and bringing them to rest in the Promised Land. It is these memories of mercy that convince Isaiah that he has faith in the God who will again save His sinful people. When it comes to the quality of our righteousness - our best deeds are like filthy rags. Sinners saved by grace. God is our Heavenly Father and we have a personal relationship with Him. Our attitude today should be one of complete surrender to Him, as well as acknowledging Him in everything we do. We must humbly come before Him relying upon His mercy without any claim upon our own rights or merits. We can thank Him for His love, kindness, goodness, grace, and mercy, amongst others, that He was shown us in the past.

What is the basis of Israel's expectation of salvation according to this prophecy? The basis of Israel’s expectation of salvation according to this prophecy is God’s steadfast love, His compassion and loving kindness, His acts of the past.

What does 64:5-7 teach us about the quality of our righteousness? All our righteous acts are like filthy rags.  God will not esteem our righteousness when we are sinful and unclean. 

How are we to see our relationship to God according to 63:16 and 64:8-9? God is our father and our redeemer.  He is the potter and we are like clay in his hands, we are the work of God’s hands.

What does this passage teach about grace? We cannot do anything to save ourselves, but our salvation comes only as a result of God’s grace.

What is the basis of Israel's expectation of salvation according to this prophecy? God as our Father will not give up on those He created.

What does 64:5-7 teach us about the quality of our righteousness?  We have much work to do.

How are we to see our relationship to God according to 63:16 and 64:8-9? Though we know that God does not
lead us into temptation. Rather he allows us to be tempted and tested. 

What does this passage teach about grace?  We need God's Grace and must continually pray...

Q3. (Isaiah 63:7-64:12) What is the basis of Israel's expectation of salvation according to this prophecy?

They plead the Lord’s honor, as Moses did when the Lord was angry and would have destroyed the people in the wilderness.  “Your holy cities have become a wilderness, Zion is a wilderness, Jerusalem a desolation.  Lord, after all this, will You restrain Yourself?

They also plead His covenant relationship with His chosen people:  He has always been merciful to His people throughout their history–“He lifted them up and carried them all the days of the past.”      “All of us are Your people.”  “You are our Father, even though Abraham does not know us, and Israel doesn’t recognize us.”                

On our own, we are unclean and as dead as a withered leaf through our sinful nature.  He turns His face away.  We have no righteousness in ourselves.  Jesus is our righteousness.

He is our Father and our Redeemer and a righteous God to His people.  He is the potter, we are the clay.  Does the clay tell the potter how to form it, what shape it should have, what decoration is best, what use best suits it?  Through our loving obedience to His work in us, we become God-shaped vessels perfected for His purposes.  First comes our relationship with Him.   Our loving Father wants face time with you and me.  He wants us to really know Him, and He wants us to be open and loving children enjoying and trusting in Him.  It is fellowship first and worship.   He can cleanse us and remake us in Christ’s image if we will let Him have His way.

Grace is a gift we do not earn in any manner; we cannot earn or deserve the blessings He bestows on us as His children.  His grace is plentiful, based on His love and compassion for His creation.  
    In all their suffering, He suffered;
    the Angel of His Presence saved them;
    He redeemed them because of His love and compassion;
    He lifted them up and carried them all the days of the past.

Q3. (Isaiah 63:7-64:12) What is the basis of Israel's expectation of salvation according to this prophecy? What does 64:5-7 teach us about the quality of our righteousness? How are we to see our relationship to God according to 63:16 and 64:8-9? What does this passage teach about grace?

Trying to put this into my own life today, I feel that much concentration, prayer and capturing every though are required. This is for survival. 

regarding the quality of our righteousness, may I humiliate myself in service to many who are as desperate as I am in this fallen world. My impatience is rewarded with the slow correcting hand of the Lord. May we all feel this, for HE is upon us and HIS will shall be done.

On 8/2/2013 at 8:45 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (Isaiah 63:7-64:12) What is the basis of Israel’s expectation of salvation according to this prophecy?

V14: "So did You lead your people to make for Yourself a beautiful and glorious name to prepare the way for the acknowledgment of Your name by all nations."  (God's faithfulness to them in delivering them from Egypt's bondage and into the promised land) V16: "For surely You are our Father, (though we have strayed and are no longer recognized by Abraham and Jacob) You, O Lord are still our Father, our Redeemer from everlasting is Your Name."

They have been promised redemption as a nation in the final outcome. Jews are becoming believers every single day even now.

"And all our RIGHTEOUSNESS (our best deeds of rightness and justice) is like filthy rags or a polluted garment.".....and He's not even mentioning our sinfulness and rebellion! We have zero righteousness in and of ourselves....Jesus is the only righteous One...and we are the recipient of His righteousness, by faith. (Lest any one of us boast!)

We are His sons and daughters....precious children of our Father! (Through faith in Jesus' sinless atonement, we are now His own) We were chosen before the foundation of the world by our Father and given to Jesus as His love gift. When it was time for us to be reborn the Holy Spirit wooed us and then introduced us to Jesus. Jesus redeemed us and wrapped us in His royal robe of righteousness and gave us to His Father as His love gift. The entire Trinity secured our place with Him as His children. How I praise and thank Him!!! (Ephesians 1, John 17,18)

It's ALL grace! None deserved or earned....freely given because we said Yes to Jesus' gift of eternal life! Moses represented the Law; Then Jesus came, Who is the Person of Grace, so the "law" is now written in our hearts (conscience), interpreted by Grace through Holy Spirit as we live for Him.

Q3. (Isaiah 63:7-64:12) What is the basis of Israel’s expectation of salvation according to this prophecy? What does 64:5-7 teach us about the quality of our righteousness? How are we to see our relationship to God according to 63:16 and 64:8-9? What does this passage teach about grace?

God's faithfulness in the past  when they remember Him and repent and confess He is faithful to forgive.

"Lack of repentance is in itself a sign of divine anger".  There are a lot of unrepentent people today.  That is a dreadful statement for them.

Our righteousness (of which we have none) is like a filthy rag.

Our relationship to God is that of a child to his Father.  He is our Father.  He is the giver of life.

Grace is a free gift from God our Father to those who fear Him and turn from their wicked ways.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

Q3. (Isaiah 63:7-64:12) What is the basis of Israel's expectation of salvation according to this prophecy?

The basis of Israel’s expectation of salvation is in  ch 62 verse 15b and 16 that they knew and acknowledged their Sovereign God as their Father who was tender and merciful and who had planned to be their  redeemer as they had read in the Scriptures and believed

We are all unclean and our righteousness is like filthy rags....we have all become like shrivelled leaves because of our sin and the wind can just blow us away.

God is our Creator and maker , our moulder and he can make us what He wants...we are His people but most undeserving of any love or mercy .

Inspite of our sins and unfaithfulness inspite of our wayward ways ..he forgives us our sins and does not remember them anymore..this is the passage which convey  His Grace to us .

Isaiah I believe was asking, how long Father will you bring judgment against Israel, how long will it take for you to write your laws on their hearts - to do them, how long before Israel will not disgrace the throne of God's glory?

The quality of "OUR" righteousness without active "FAITH" in God is as "filthy rags" - Without faith there is no way to please God, there is no longer the fear of God that makes the heart tremble at the mention of His name; When man willfully go their own way and walk in the counsel of the ungodly, they become like a leaf blowing each and every way, allowing their righteousness of filthy rags to take root in their heart. 

Our relationship to the Father is made complete when we willingly get on the Potter’s wheel, (trusting faith in God's Son) and allow Him to mold us unto a vessel that is good and not as that of filthy rags.

God's grace is for all who willfully desire to be molded and changed into something beautiful.

1. The basic of Israel expectation of salvation is: The Lord will not hold back His love for them. He will bless them.

2. Isa 64: 5-7 Teaches us that God gladly help those who do what is right and walk pleasing before Him.

3. According to Isaiah 63:16 and 64:5-7, We see God as our Father.

4.This passage teach us that God's (grace) love for us. He do not remember our sins forever!

Praise God! Thank you our Lord JESUS CHRIST, it is you who have made this possible! Praise and Glory to you!!

Israel's expectation of salvation according to this prophecy is that though they have not been faithful to God and are undeserving, they are God's children and they rely on the covenant given to them and the grace of God for forgiveness and restoration. "You oh Lord are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter; we are the work of your hand. Do not be angry beyond measure. Lord, do not remember our sins forever. Oh look on us we pray for we are all your people!"

Verses 64:5-7 teach us that we have no righteousness of our own. "All our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like leaves, our sins sweep us away."

Our relationship with God according to 63:16 and 64:8-9 is one of a child to a Father. We are family. Children of God. All of us.

This passage teaches us that only God's grace is our hope of restoration and salvation. We don't have anything in and of ourselves that merit it and anything we ever try to do to be good enough is really only like filthy rags. Nothing in us or of us will be sufficient. Only through the blood and righteousness of Christ are we redeemed.

Q3. (Isaiah 63:7-64:12) What is the basis of Israel’s expectation of salvation according to this prophecy?

The only appeal Israel can make to God for salvation is that He is their Maker and therefore their Father. This prophecy effectively throws Israel on God's mercy and compassion as would a child to its father after punishment for wrongdoing. Even after punishing his child, a father still loves him/her . . . or at least a good father does.

Our own righteousness is as filthy rags. We can't save ourselves by doing the right thing because we're really incapable of that. We all fall far short of being righteous enough.

God is our Father and we are His children. We appeal to God as our Father to have mercy on us.

We totally rely on God's grace because we can do nothing of ourselves to effect our own salvation. The ultimate act of grace on God's part was to send His only begotten Son to pay the penalty for sin that we are incapable of ever paying ourselves. He did this while we were yet sinners and undeserving of such grace.

Israel can expect the LordTo work His plan of salvation, because, even in times of great sin and rebellion, God has been merciful and faithful to His people and His promises. Yet we are undeserving and have done nothing to earn His salvation. We reap what we sow. God is like a parent, our Father, who disciplines us and our fate is in his hands. Fortunately instead of destruction God chooses to forgive us after He has refined us.

• 4 weeks later...

Question 11-3
The basis of Israel’s expectation of salvation in 63:7 - 64:12 seems to be the fact Yahweh is ‘our father’.  This is a very intimate thing - to refer to someone as our father.  It is used in Isaiah three times (63:15, 16 and 64:8) .  Otherwise it is only used in David’s prayer 1Corinicles 29:10 in a prayer on his deathbed confesses to God ‘our father’.  Otherwise the use is totally exclusive to Isaiah in Chapters 63 and 64.  There is a great sense of intimacy in these “for you are our Father”, also “your, O Lord, are our Father” and yet “You are our father”. (64:8)
This is really a new use of the term here in Isaiah and in so doing Isaiah lays claim to being heir of God and as Paul will later write co-heirs with Christ.  We are so intimate with God it is like potter and clay.  “You are our potter and we are your clay”. (64:8)
Being our Father Yahweh stands in an unique position with people.  We are the beloved children whom God loves.  We see in the parable of the Prodigal Son of how forgiving a parent can be and do we expect anything less from ‘our Father’ in heaven.  “All our righteous deeds are like a filthy cloth” before the righteousness of God, who will hide himself before our iniquities.  But God has provided a plan; God, God-self will come to earth in form of a man.  Jesus and God in his righteousness died so that our sins will be washed away.  Christ will put on us a robe of righteousness and we will than appear before God clothed in his righteousness and than we can truly call God ‘ our father’.

Isaiah recounts the gracious deeds of the Lord, the praiseworthy acts of the Lord, because of all the Lord has done for us....according to the abundance of his steadfast love (62.7) In accounting these deeds and relating how the people rebelled against God and grieved his Holy Spirit; yet despite all that God remembered the days of old, remembered that he is ‘our father’ and we should graciously rejoice for God’s fidelity does not depend upon us but upon God’s promise that we will be priests of the Lord, named ministers of our God and that we will possess a double portion and everlasting joy shall be ours.  This is grace that God despite our transgressions will clothe us in a robe of righteousness.  
Grace is probably best illustrated by 65: 1 - 2 , “I was ready to be sought out by those who did not ask, to be found by those who did not seek me.  I said, ‘Here I am, here I am’, to a nation that did not call on my name.  I held out my hands all day long to a rebellious people, who walk in a way that is not good, following their own devices;”.

winstony

• 4 weeks later...

The basis of Israel’s expectation of salvation according to the prophecy is that they are going to make up to God and that God will accept them. He has always loved them but they are going to repent and obey him.

That teaches us that we are always sinners but we need to repent of our sins earnestly.

That we are sinners and that only God can forgive us our sins. He is always there and is always willing to forgive us.

• 9 years later...

God is all-powerful as well as just therefore He judges us harshly ... the grapes of wrath. He, at times, also chooses to be merciful, thankfully, in spite of our horrible behaviour and thoughts. He also chooses, at times, to be merciful even though we grieved the Holy Spirit.

Israel has no "right" to expect salvation. No one can expect salvation. It's an unmerited and undeserved gift that come to some of us in spite of ourselves.

Audaciously, the Israelites wondered how God had let them wander so far ... blaming Him for their own behaviour -- "Why do You make us wander from Your ways ..." -- but in a way, their question makes sense. If God is all-powerful, then He is responsible for the existence of evil. The idea that God merely "permits" or glances to the side is disingenuous. Either God is all-powerful or He is not. He doesn't look aside slyly. He, for reason I do not understand, has CHOSEN evil as an instrument of His will. 

Thus, to answer the question more directly, Israel has no basis for expecting salvation. 

That's the crux of it all: we have no right/basis/logic behind our own salvation, because God, in His power, has chosen evil as well as grace. With one hand He condemns; with the other He saves. There's an unpredictable quality to His acts (from our perspective) because not all people are saved, only the ones He has chosen. As one of His chosen, I'm awestruck by my salvation. I could easily have not been saved, but I am His. Most of the people I know are secular; for inexplicable reasons, I am not. His mercy falls on some, not all.

It is grace to me, the fact that God saves, yet it has nothing to do with my behaviour or thoughts, but is wholly a function of His decision. I do not think that God has chosen me because He's my Father (and not the Father of, say, the rest of my earthly family). He has chosen me for reasons I will never understand. I also do not understand why the Israelites were chosen above the other peoples. God, to me, is mysterious, frightening, inexplicable and seemingly quixotic. His choices make little sense. Yet they are His choices. Only His. And as an all-powerful God, choices are His to make. My response can only be to bow low and thank Him that for whatever reason, I was chosen to be saved.

• 1 month later...

They experienced God’s mercy in delivering them from Egypt and bringing them to the Promised Land. this kindness shows Isaiah that he can have faith in God to save his sinful people

Isaiah laments the long-standing patterns of sin among God’s people, like who is unclean, a polluted garment are all righteous acts. God will overlook our righteousness when we are sinful and unclean

God is our father 

We can’t save ourselves, but our salvation comes only as a result of God’s grace.