JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Call of Isaiah

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does the realization of God's holiness affect Isaiah?

Isaiah comes into the presence of God and immediately recognises His immense, radiating holiness; that is His purity and sinless state, His righteousness and sacredness. This is in obvious contrast to Isaiah's unclean sinful state - the state all fallen men are in. The holiness of God places Isaiah's sinfulness and impurity into sharp relief.

Why is Isaiah afraid?

Isaiah believes that once he has seen God he will die as his sinfulness will displease God.

How does God make Isaiah holy? What is the symbolism of the coal from the altar?

A seraph takes a burning coal from the altar and touches Isaiah's lips with it. Out of Isaiah's mouth comes sin from his thoughts, from his words and hence his actions. The heat of the coal in a sense cauterizes Isaiah. It is cleansing. It burns away his sins, making him pure. He can now stand in God's presence sinless himself, the coal having expunged his sins. Without sin, Isaiah can be made holy and pure. He can give himself fully to God and God's commands.

Now made holy - dedicated to God - how does Isaiah respond?

He wants more than anything to serve God. He says, "Here am I. Send me." He wants to dedicate his life that he thought was going to be taken away to the service of God. The Bible is full of echoes or allusions to other parts of Scripture and, I think, this is one of them. There should be a parallel of Isaiah's response to God in our lives. Through our rebirth in Christ, we are justified and our sins are forgiven. What should our response be? Surely it must be to serve the Lord in any way we can. "Here am I. Send me." Send me to whereever you want to do whatever you want. Deny yourself and take up your cross daily and follow Him.

Glad to be back!

When Isaiah saw the true glory and holiness of God, as well as the purest worship of heaven, he realized his own sinful uncleanness. He seems to be expressing abject unworthiness to even speak any praise of his own, which would pale in comparison to that of the seraphim. Since Isaiah could see God, then certainly he experienced the penetrating gaze of holiness, and sin is not tolerated in the presence of the King, the LORD of hosts. He expressed his "ruin", probably expecting death! His response was to confess his uncleanness and sin.

God used a live coal from the altar in heaven, carried by a seraph, to touch Isaiah's lips and purify him from iniquity. This is a wonderful picture of 1 John 1:9! As soon as Isaiah confessed, the LORD forgave and cleansed, telling Isaiah that his sins were blotted out and his guilt was gone! Refining is often accomplished through intense heat, which burns off all unwanted elements in order to purify. I think this heavenly white-hot coal from the altar symbolized how the atonement and cleansing provided through the sacrificed Lamb of God burns away all impurities and sin and guilt. Before Isaiah could represent holy God to the people of Israel, he had to be purified of his own sin.

Once Isaiah had been made a worthy vessel by God, he was ready for service. As soon as the LORD gave opportunity, he immediately responded that he was available and ready to do whatever God requested and go wherever God sent him.

Yes, it is good to be back. Praise God!

Isaiah is filled with fear and a sense of failure. He gives a cry of despair as he sees how far he is from ever measuring up to the wholeness and holiness of God. His spiritual eyes are opened and he sees himself in a new light. He is able to see his own sin and shortcomings. Isaiah was able to look beyond what his eyes could see to the realms of the invisible and see the majesty of our God. He saw God "sitting upon a throne," the symbol of sovereign authority, in charge of everything in heaven and upon earth. A great hymn says it all.

Immortal, Invisible, God only wise.

In light inaccessible, hid from our eyes.

Most blessed, most glorious, the Ancient of Days!

Almighty, Victorious,

Your great name we praise!

The tradition in the Hebrew and Jewish cultures is that someone cannot see God and live.

Exodus 33:20-23

Then Moses said, "I pray You, show me Your glory!" 19And He said, "I Myself will make all My goodness pass before you, and will proclaim the name of the LORD before you; and I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show compassion on whom I will show compassion."

20But He said, "You cannot see My face, for no man can see Me and live!"

21Then the LORD said, "Behold, there is a place by Me, and you shall stand there on the rock;

22and it will come about, while My glory is passing by, that I will put you in the cleft of the rock and cover you with My hand until I have passed by. 23"Then I will take My hand away and you shall see My back, but (G)My face shall not be seen."

A seraph flew down to him with a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with tongs from the altar. With it he touched Isaiah

God's Holiness made Isaiah aware of how unholy he himself was. Isaiah thought God would destroy him for being unclean. Isaiah is made Holy by the touch of a live coal, symbolizing God's anger, from the altar, symbolizing his atonement & forgiveness. Then Isaiah is ready to go anywhere for God by saying " Here am I. Send me."He has a changed heart & is willing to work for God.

I would imagine that one can only shudder with fear and wonder when encountering the Holy one and as Isaiah must have, confronted with complete reality, of our moral failure.

Surly Isaiah new at once that as a sinner in the presence of Yahweh he would be doomed to the pit for eternity.

God purges Isaiah with fire, the heated coal which symbolizes the fire we receive from heaven when we are baptized in the Holy Spirit.

At once, Isaiah responds and tells the Lord to send him, as His prophet, newly commissioned for God's service. Do not all born again believers respond to the Lord Jesus in this manner? God forbid if we do not!

Welcome back everyone and Praise God for the victory!

Q1. (Isaiah 6:1-8) How does a realization of God's holiness affect Isaiah? Why is Isaiah afraid? How does God make Isaiah holy? What is the symbolism of the coal from the altar? Now made holy -- dedicated to God -- how does Isaiah respond to God?

Isaiah does not hesistae he immediately recognizes the greatness and holiness of God. Isaiah saw his sinfulness and knew God hated sin - he has reverent fear of the Almighty.

Coal symbolism is cleansing - being burnt in fire symbolizes atonement of Christ.

Isaiah after receiving forgiveness - immediately goes to serve the Almighty when God calls him.

Q1. (Isaiah 6:1-8) How does a realization of God's holiness affect Isaiah? Why is Isaiah afraid? How does God make Isaiah holy? What is the symbolism of the coal from the altar? Now made holy -- dedicated to God -- how does Isaiah respond to God?

Isaiah saw the Lord of hosts in His splendor and glory. He heard majestic beings lauding the holiness of God.

The Lord is holy in His nature and His very being is made up of holiness as light is the essence of the sun. Isaiah was overwhelmed by God's holiness and his own sinfulness became evident and his unworthiness was revealed to him. None of us can remain standing in the presence of our Holy God, because we all fall far short of His glory. Our God is consuming fire - consuming sin and sinners. The proper response is reverential fear - which is the beginning of true wisdom

Isaiah's response was prostration and despair: "Woe is me, for I am undone!" The reason of his despair was : "Fo my eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts." Isaiah was mindful of the fact that no man can see the Lord and live (Ex.33:20) There was also consciousness of guilt "because I am a man of unclean lip and dwell in the midst of people of unclean lips"

Yet, there was purification. Isaiah's lips were cleansed with a hot coal from the alter, his sin was purged and his iniquity taken away. Now he was equipped to offer acceptable service to the Lord. Free of guilt Isaiah was called by God into service and immediately wanted to fulfill God's will for his life. He wanted to serve God in any way He desired. "Here am I send me!"

How does the realization of God's holiness affect Isaiah?

Isaiah panics at the realization of his sinful state in the presence of God's purity and holiness.

Why is Isaiah afraid?

He was afraid that anyone who saw God would die because of their moral uncleanliness and sinful state.

How does God make Isaiah holy?

God makes Isaiah holy by answering his request for atonement. A seraph takes a coal from the altar and touches Isaiah's mouth with it, taking away his guilt and atoning his sins.

What is the symbolism of the coal from the altar?

Fire, like water, is considered to be a cleansing element. Actually, fire is the only element that consumes in order to manifest itself. When the fiery coal touches Isaiah's lips all guilt is burned away cleansing him of sin.

Now made holy -- dedicated to God -- how does Isaiah respond to God

Isaiah feels worthy to be God's servant.

Praise the Lord it is good to be back again.

Q1. (Isaiah 6:1-8) How does a realization of God's holiness affect Isaiah?

He knew he was unclean and that he was worthy to be in the presence of the Holy God.

Why is Isaiah afraid?

Isaiah is afraid because he can see his own sin and knows that God is a Holy God and that he is not clean.

A seraphim takes a hot coal from the altar and touches his lips to burn away the uncleanness in Isaiah.

A coal of fire took from the altar of God would remove the sin and the worldly things from his lips and this is the same that the Holy Spirit and fire does to those in the upper room on the day of Pentecost. We today are cleansed and drawn to Jesus by the Holy Spirit still.

Now made holy -- dedicated to God -- how does Isaiah respond to God?

He is a willing vessel and ready and willing to be used of God. He says to God hear I am send me. We should all be so willing and ready to work for God. :D

Isaiah, saw himself as God see's him, it was quite devestating. Naked and exposed before Him with whom we have to do. stripped away are all the coverings, facades, titles and cosmetics. It was and would be for me too quite humbling.

Isaiah was afraid and rightly so, because the God of creation the Eternal Eternity was looking at him. What would be His estimation? What would be His sumation? What would be His verdict? Could any defense be offered, should it be, do I speak and try to explain why I'm as filthy rags, do I try and explain my position, do I have a position to try to explain, oh the horrors.

God, loving as He is made everything alright. Quieted Isaiah's fear's by providing him with the necessary purging required to enter His presence, because Isaiah wasn't able to provide his own credentials worthy enough to be there, God directed the angel to take from the alter coals to purge his tongue by which he was able to be in His presence without the over bearing weight of sin crushing him.

The symbolism is that like as the coals purged Isaiah's sin, Christ's blood has purged us from our sins and made us white as snow. We can now not only stand in the presence of an Holy God, but are able to (by/because of the blood, boldly come anytime) and commune/fellowship with Him. And not be crushed by the weight of sin. We look at our relationship with our Sovereign LORD through the atoning death of His Son and our Saviour Jesus Christ, and He looks at our relationship to Him through the obedience of His Son's life in order to bring us into fellowship.

Isaiah, now humbly but also with a bold confidence, hear's the call/challenge and without fear responds at once, send me I'll go, prior to this Isaiah couldn't even speak because of his unclean lips, now embolden by purging he dosen't wait for anyone else to respond he quickly volunteers. He realizes his position and dosen't hesitate to get into the fray.

How does a realization of God's holiness affect Isaiah?

Isaiah saw that he was tied to a sinful nature, a sinful nature in which there was no escape, not only for himself but also for the nation that he so dearly loved.

Why is Isaiah afraid? Maybe he recalled this vs. "Isaac said, "Father?""Yes, my son," Abraham replied."We have the wood and the fire," said the boy, "but where is the lamb for the sacrifice?"" and forgot the rest of it. "God will provide a lamb, my son." I remember when the Holy Spirit first convicted me of my sins, I too felt there was no way out, but by closing all doors and opening only one God reveals His Son.

Only God can take away the sin, things have not changed at all. Even today only once the veil of guilt is removed are we able to see the glimmer of hope, the hope we have in Christ. Isa. 43:19 "For I am about to do a brand-new thing. See, I have already begun! Do you not see it? :huh: I will make a pathway through the wilderness for my people to come home. I will create rivers for them in the desert! "

And with the HOPE AND THE LIGHT Isaah delayed not in his willingness to serve.

Today, if we know someone who does not know the LORD and we do not attempt to make the introduction, their future is in our hands. This must be how Isaiah felt, and he was eager to do something to insure the future of Israel.

Darrell

Q1. (Isaiah 6:1-8) How does a realization of God's holiness affect Isaiah?

God is holiness, He is high and lifted up above all kings, where are the words to describe such splendor, to be in the presense of such holiness? The posts of the door were shaken by the response to God's holiness, it could only affect Isaiah with the truth of who he is, a man with unclean lips, dwelling among people of unclean lips, Woe is he.

Why is Isaiah afraid?

Isaiah knows he can't stand before the Holy God of Israel with unclean lips. How scary it must be to see us as we are, without the righteousness of Jesus blood covering us.

There was no pride seen in Isaiah as he stood ready for his judgment, a live coal was taken from the altar, not any altar, but from the altar in heaven, burning hot and ready to purge Isaiah's unclean lips with the mercy of this holy God.

How does Isaiah respond to God?

What a feeling of joy unspeakable and full of glory he must have felt as God's forgiveness came over him. This God in all His glory, in all His holiness, cared so much for him while in his sin, to touch Isaiah with His Mercy. The touch of God's mercy, His holiness, Isaiah said send me!, I want the people to feel your love as I have felt it.

What a magnificient study. Aren't we all glad that we are all back studying together the word of God along with our wonderful Pastor. Hallelujah!!!!

Yes, when we are in the presence of a PM/Governor/or some big political dignitary, we are awed and silent and scarecely utter a word. Isaiah had the same effect. Only it was magnified a trillion fold. What magnificience, what glory, what majesty!!! I envy Isaiah. He had the wonderful vision at least. But he was not considering himself lucky to have seen the magnificient vision. He was scared to death, as all Jews are according to Exodus. He was not only overawed by the glory of His throne, but also afraid that he would have to die because he has seen God on His Throne, in all His splendour. But help was at hand. The angel took a fiery coal and touched his lips. The symbol of cleansing done by the angel. Sin had to be burnt up. Destroyed. Like a virus or bacteria in the water which is killed by boiling for 20 minutes. Isaiah was grateful for the cleansing. He immediately volunteered for work. How ungrateful we are sometimes for God's mercies. May God be merciful to us and give us grateful minds to honor Him and be thankful to Him.

Lesson 5 Q 1

(Isaiah 6:1-8) How does a realization of God's holiness affect Isaiah?

Isaiah panics because He sees his own sins and he falls short of God's standard.

Why is Isaiah afraid?

Isaiah is afraid because he knows he displeased God and he was afraid that anyone who saw God would die.

By touching his mouth with a live coal from the altar. It wasn't the coal that cleansed him but God.

The coal from the altar was a painful cleansing process, we must be purified in order to be used by God who is pure and holy. Letting God purify us may be painful.

Now made holy--dedicated to God--how does Isaiah respond to God?

Isaiah responds to God by submitting himself entirely to God's service. No matter how difficult his task would be, he said, "Here am I; send me."

REALIZATION OF GOD'S HOLINESS,WHEN ISAIAH SAW THE ANGELS AND HOW THEY WERE COVERING THEMSELVES,FROM GOD'S GLORY,AND HOW THE TEMPLE SHOOK,AS THEY PRAISED GOD AND WORSHIPED HIM,IM SURE HE WAS AFRAID OF ALL THAT WAS GOING ON,THAT HE HAD NEVER EXPERIENCED BEFORE IN HIS LIFE.GOD IS SO HOLY THAT HE RADIATES,GLEAM OF LIGHT,RAYS OF HOLINESS,ISAIAH COULDN'T EVEN STAND IN IT,WITHOUT RECONIZING HOW UNCLEAN ISAIAH WAS.ISAIAH WAS AFRAID BECAUSE HE NEW HE WAS UNCLEAN,AND FULL OF GUILT.HE COULD NOT MEASURE UP TO GOD'S STANDARD OF HOLINESS.

WHEN ISAIAH'S LIPS WERE TOUCHED BY THE LIVE BURNING COAL HE WAS TOLD THAT HIS SINS WERE FORGIVEN.IT WASEN'T THE COAL THAT CLEANSED ISAIAH,IT WAS ISAIAH REALIZING HOW UNCLEAN HE WAS,AND WAS WILLING AND WANTED TO SERVE GOD.ISAIAH SURRENDERED TO GOD,AND RESPONDED,(ISAIAH 6:8)" HERE I AM ,"SEND ME! ISAIAH RESPONDS WITH HIS HEART TO GOD'S CALL.

The realization of God's holiness made Isaiah react with fear. He had the realization of how unclean he was and that he lived among unclean people. He saw the contrast between God and man....big time! I think he knew at that moment how insignificant he was and how awesome and powerful a presence God is.

I see the coal as a burning, cleansing process...much like what the Holy Spirit does in our lives as He purifies and cleanses us. Once cleansed, Isaiah responds by offering himself in service to God. That is also symbolic of our lives in the Spirit. We offer our lives to God in the same way and allow ourselves to be led by the Spirit to further His Kingdom. No matter the cost!.

He knows he is not clean. That he has sinned

Why is Isaiah afraid?

He knows his God is a God of Justice and can't look upon sin. He is holy God.

A seraphim comes and places a hot coal from the altar on his lips, to make him clean before a holy God.

It is a symbol of cleansing and being made holy and righteous before God.

He is ready to do as God wills for him to do. :rolleyes:

Isaiah realized he was not yet as holy as he should be. It's like putting two different colors of white up against each other, only to find one is whiter than the other one. Isaiah saw his sin in the 'light' of the Holy one.

Isaiah was afraid because in his time, it was believed you would die if you saw' God. Also he thought God would not accept him in his present state of unclean lips and would cast him aside, instead, God purified him for his(God's) service.

God makes him Holy by purifying him with hot coals. The coals symbolise burning away impurities.

Isaiah responds to God whole heartedly now, he is confindent that he has been redeemed by God himself and is ready to present himself in service to God.

When Isaiah realizes that he is in the presence of God, he falls down and declares that he is a person that is unclean. He is not worthy to be in the presence of a Holy and Pure God. He is stained with sin because he lives among sinful people. He feels shame and unworthy.

He is afraid that he will die because the Old Testament says that no man that has seen the face of God can live. He is afraid that his life will end because he is in the presence of a Holy and Pure God.

God makes Isaiah holy by cleansing him from his sin. A seraph tookt a live coal and touched Isaiah's lips. The seraph declared that his guilt was taken away and his sin was atoned for. He was now clean and worthy to be in the presence of God.

The symbolism is from the Old Testament sacrificial laws. In the Old Testament a person's sins were atoned for from sacrifices that the priests offered on the altar. The live coal was taken from the embers of a sacrifice. It indicated to Isaiah that his sins were atoned for and that he was now cleansed.

Isaiah responds to God's question of "whom shall I send?" with a response of "Here am I, Send me!" This is a revelation of how God uses us. God requires us to "be renewed in our minds," to "put off the old and take on the new," and "be holy as I am holy," and "present ourselves as a living sacrifice, holy and pure before the Lord," and etc. These and other verses remind us of the importance being a pure vessel so that we can be used of God in his Kingdom's work. When we are saved and cleansed by the blood of the Lamb, we become holy and pure. When we respond "Here am I, Send Me" we are also saying that we will keep ourselves pure and holy. In my life, I have found that when I have a pure heart, I am much more effective in the prayer ministry that He has called me to be in. When other things of this world begin to push their way in, the prayer ministry suffers. He is always faithful to cleanse me and draw me back to him when I confess that I have allowed the worldly values to influence my thinking and actions. Praise the Lord that we have a merciful and patient Father.

Isaiah realized that in this place of holiness, filled with the pristine righteousness and holiness of God - he was unclean, filthy and defiled as he stood in the presence of the most high God. Isaiah was accutely aware that God could not tolerate his filthiness. He know he was ruined, destined to be cast out of God's presence forever. One of God's seraphs flew to Isaiah with a live coal form the altar. He touched Isaiah's lips with it, transforming him. He was made clean and pure, totally acceptable to our most Holy God. The burniong coal symbolizes those things which we have confessed to God in prayer. This was a turning point for Isaiah. Now completely dedicated to God, Isaiah responds by completely giving himself to the will of God.

We never realize how filthy and unclean we are until we are in the presence of God.

Although Isaiah had many gifts, his success was primarily a fruit of his humility and faithfulness to God's will for his life. When God called him, Isaiah had an overwhelming sense of his own sinfulness. He admitted his sins abd turn to God for cleansing and deliverance When God revealed his will for Isaiah, the prophet pursued God's plan with determination. He spoke and lived out God's will for him despite opposition. As a result, God used him to confront his people with their sins and to comfort them as they faced a painful future.

The appearance of God in all His holiness is too much for Isaiah. He realizes he is a sinful man and panics.

Why is Isaiah afraid?

He sees his own sins and where he falls short of God's satandard.

He has one of the seraphims touch Isaiah's lips with a burning coal.

It is a symbol of purification.

Now made holy-dedicated to God-how does Isaiah respond to God?

By answering God's call.

How does a realization of God's holiness affect Isaiah? Why is Isaiah afraid?

He seen himself as unclean before him. Being unclean he knows That he not worthy to stand before a Holy God.

He puts a hot coal to his lips.

It would make him clean again. Removes his sins from him.

Now he is willing to be used. He wants God to use him.