JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. God Our Rock

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In this list of verses, I see God the Rock as a place of refuge; sure and steady uplifter; salvation; guide; upright; eternal; the only God that exists; the quarry from which all other stones are hewn; stronghold and protection in times of trouble.

In the biggest sense, in Palestine a rock was a mountainous place of caves and clefts that offered security and protection, a place to hide and be sheltered from attack, a place of impenetrable defense. I imagine it to be a rather isolated place where there would be plenty of opportunity for introspection and consideration of the deeper things of life. Much of David's spiritual growth and development probably happened in those rocks as he pondered the majesty, power, authority, and mercies of Yahweh.

"Rock of Ages, cleft for me,

Let me hide myself in Thee"

Rock typifies something about the nature of God. He is as solid as rock, the foundation of everything, He alone is immutable, unbreakable. He is the source of our strength and stability and in times of danger He is our refuge "cleft in the rock". God as Rock can also sustain and preserve us in times of drought, He can become a source of living water. (Numb.20:8)

In the New Testament Jesus is the foundtion, the living stone, the chief corner stone, He is the rock of offense to those who reject Him, but a spiritual rock to those who obey Him.

The land of Palestine has always been the crossroad and battleground of different religious and cultural interests - Jewish, Christian, Muslim. The terrain is diverse, some of it is rugged, desert area, mountainous and rocky used as shelter and refuge, but also inspired the worship of stones. The city Petra known in Bible times as Sela (the Rock) is located south-east of the Dead Sea and is one of the most inaccessible place of the face of the earh. Even today in its dilapidated state, this city is an unforgettable monument of the "creatilve abilities" of the ancient Edomites and later the Nabateans, who worshiped god Dushara, whose emblem was a black stone.

Another evidence is the Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem, built upon an ancient sacred stone, as a spectacular edifice to proclaim the supremacy of Islam. The site chosen was the very same rock where previously had stood the Jupiter temple of the Romans and before the two temples of the Jews. BUT "Their rock is not our Rock...Where are their gods, the rock in which they sought refuge....let them rise and help you..": (Deuteronomy 32:31,37,38)

"For I proclaim the name of the LORD, ascribe greatness to our God, He is the Rock,His work is perfect; for all His ways are justice, a God of truth and without injustice, Righteous and upright is He!" (Deuteronomy 32:4)

God is the foundation on which I build my life. He alone is solid, immovable and unbreakable. I really love the following images of God as my rock of refuge, my rock my strong tower and my rock my fortress.

The terrain of Palestine is very rugged. In times of danger the people of Palestine lived in the hills among the rocks and caves, where they were relatively safe from enemies and easily defended. When David was on the run from Saul he hid in the caves.

Somehow, I don't believe it is relevant as to what function a rock performs in Palestine, Israel, most certainly, Palestine - not at all - unless you are speaking of the Dome on the Rock where the usurpers have taken over the Holy of Holies...If we are pursuing the Lord God, King of the Universe, God of Abraham Isaac and Jacob, it makes little difference as to what the function in Palestine is.

Q3. In what ways is God a Rock in the above verses. What functions does a rock perform in Palestine?

The "Rock" of Palestine is the I Am. Palestine is the land promised to Abraham and his descendants by the "Rock". Through the years. because of their disobedience to their "Refuge", the land was taken from them. The "Rock" of Palestine was still there, but they broke the covenant they made with Him. There were blessings and curses as part of the covenant. Also at work is the seed of the serpent , who wants to crush the head of the seed of the women. Anti-Semitism set in against the (Rock's) people, the jews. In 1948 Israel was reborn, and the Seed of Abraham, returned to the Promised Land and became a nation. God is the Rock of Palestine. Pray for the apple of God's eye Israel, pray for the peace of Jerusalem.

I also made a covenant with God, through His Son, the Rock of my Salvation, to be His bride. Obedience, love, is what I desire to fill my heart with for Him. I want to learn from those shadows of not following in the footsteps of God.

I see the Rock as an anchor point that I can always go to for stability in my life. He steadies me, gives me confidence in my everyday battles. The Rock protects me from my enemies when the onslaught is great, as a refuge. He is the Rock of my salvation, in all purity, a bastion of truth.

I find the next part of the question somewhat nebulous. To a Palestinian a rock might be a weapon, to be used against Israelies whom they consider occupiers. Or, the rock can be looked at as a wall, to keep them out of land that they see as theirs. To a Jew, a rock might be a memorial that would be placed on the grave of someone slaughtered by a suicide bomber. To a Christian and yes, some Jews, a rock might be He who would bring peace to Jerusalem.

A rock is solid and not broken. It is not changeable by the things around it. It retains its character permanently. People have to work around it (especially a big one!). In Australia we have Uluru, a huge rock that stands in the desert in the middle of the land. It is a symbol in Australia, a landmark. Everybody knows it, goes there, watches the effects of the sun upon it at different times of the day, wonders how it got there etc. God is like that in our lives. He is the inescapable Truth, unchangeable, admirable, immovable, and wonderful to gaze upon.

Stones were hewn from rock to build fortresses, city walls, wells, homes, protection zones, even the great Temple of Solomon. David used a small rock to kill Goliath, so they were also weapons of protection. Rocks were also used to build mounds over graves and memorable, historical places, and altars for sacrifice. Some were jewels worn on priestly robes representing the twelve tribes of Israel. Some rocks formed caves where fugitives hid and were protected (including King David). Others were used for pens to hold sheep at night with the shepherd guarding the gateway. Moses sat upon a rock to pray while Joshua fought a battle, and Jacob rested his head on a rock to sleep. Rocks were an invaluable resource and represented safety, longevity and permanence for Israelites.

In what ways is God a Rock?

1. The Lord is my rock

2. My God, my rock in whom I take refuge

3. Blessed be the LORD, my rock

4. Be my rock of refuge

5. Lead me to the rock that is higher than I

6. My God, the Rock my Savior

7. He is the Rock, His works are perfect

8. For the LORD, the LORD, is the Rock eternal.

9. There is no other rock; I know not one

10. Look to the Rock from which you were cut

A Diamond comes to mind when I think of the Lord as a Rock!

What functions does a rock perform in Palestine?

A rock in Palestine performs the same function as it does in the rest of the world! Just as the Lord is my Rock, my Fortress, my Stronghold, my Shield and the Horn of my Salvation in South Africa, the U.S.A, China or anywhere in the world.

Q3. In what ways is God a Rock in the above verses.

GOD the rock means that he is the protector of his people. God can be looked upon as the power and strength. The one and only protector. He is defined as the stronghold and is eternal. He is the image from which we were cut. He is the refuge and the fortress. A strong tower, the shield, and he is perfection.

The bible passages below tell of how God has sustained the Palestine people, what their purpose is and how he is their rock:

" And Abraham sojourned many days in the land of the Philistines." Ge 21:34

"And Samuel said to him, "The LORD has torn the kingdom of Israel from you this day, and has given it to a neighbor of yours, who is better than you." 1Samuel 15:28, and (jos 13:1)

"And the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel, and he sold them into the hand of the Philistines and into the hand of the Ammonites" Jos 10:7

"But David kept thinking to himself, "Someday Saul is going to get me. The best thing for me to do is escape to the Philistines. Then Saul will stop hunting for me, and I will finally be safe."" 1 Samuel 27:1

"These were the nations: the Philistines (those living under the five Philistine rulers), all the Canaanites, the Sidonians, and the Hivites living in the hill country of Lebanon from Mount Baal-hermon to Lebo-hamath. These people were left to test the Israelites

In what way is God a rock in the above verses?

The Rock is a place of refuge. God rescues us from our enemies by offering us a place of escape and security. He is our security. It is also a place of strength. The Rock is the foundation on which to build a fortress, a temple or place of worship. God here is the foundation of our lives. The Rock also symbolises the strength and everlasting nature of God; His immutability. There is a suggestion also of His towering dominance. His highness with the image of the Rock rising above us. The Rock is also a quarry. We are carved from it. In a sense being born in Christ we obtain the strength from the Rock, being here our Lord Jesus dwelling in us.

What function does a rock perform in Palestine?

Historically, in a land which has seen conflict so many times, personal safety and the safety of the community is paramount. The rock offered a place of escape. Caves in rock outcrops were difficult to attack and easy to defend. Often they were in remote areas. Also the rock, like the temple mount, formed a suitable foundation and vantage for a fortress which protected all the community and the prominence for its most important buildings.

Sadly, in the modern age, the rock is more often associated with stone throwing and illustrates an intractable problem between Arab and Jew.

Thank you Lisa Rupert for bringing to our attention Amos 9:7. It is such an important word for our day; so lets see what the rest of the story says.

Amos 9:6 He built his palace in the heavens and let its foundations rest on the earth. He scoops up the ocean and empties it on the earth. His name is the LORD.

V7. Israel, I am the LORD God, and the Ethiopians are no less important to me than you are. I brought you out of Egypt, but I also brought the Philistines from Crete and the Arameans from Kir.

(God will not judge Israel any differently than He judges foreign nations. He is the God of the universe.)

V8. I, the Sovereign LORD, am watching this sinful nation of Israel, and I will uproot it and scatter its people across the earth. Yet God promised that He wlll never completely destroy the family of Israel, says the LORD. (God's punishment would not be permanent, like a loving Father, God disciplines those he loves in order to correct them. God loves Israel, He loves us, His bond-servants too, and disciplines us.) -----The Assyrian's would destroy israel but some would be preserved. This was predicted hundreds of years earlier. Deu. 28:63-68 (As we studied on the word JUSTICE, ours is not perfect, but God's is. ) The best is yet to come as God finishes what He was telling Israel.

Amos. 9:11 In that day I will raise up the booth of David that has fallen, and I will wall up its breaks. And I will raise up its ruins, and I will build it as the days of old;

so that they may possess the remnant of Edom, and all the nations whom My name is called, declares Jehovah who is doing this.

Behold, the days are coming, declares Jehovah, that the plowman shall overtake the reaper, and the treader of grapes him who draws along seed. And the mountains shall drop new must, and all the hills will be dissolved.

And I will bring back the captivity of My people Israel. And they shall build the waste cities, and live in them. And they shall plant vineyards, and drink the wine of them. They shall also make gardens, and eat the fruit of them.

V 15 And I will plant them on their land, and they shall never again be pulled up out of their land which I have given to them, says Jehovah your God. (the "Rock" of Israel)

Q3. In what ways is God a Rock in the above verses. What functions does a rock perform in Palestine?

God is the refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble ( I can go to Him and He will uphold me). He is there for me to go to for protection, strength and salvation.

He is my hiding place, a place of shelter and protection.

God, our Rock is unmovable, a refuge, protection, stronghold, salvation. He is security, a place on which to build our lives.

I liked What Helenmm shared about the rock in Australia as a landmark. God has been our landmark throughout scripture.

Rocks in Palestine still are refuge places for men & animals, I would assume. They could also be landmarks which remind us who the land really belongs to!

God is the Shepherd, Savior,Refuge, Strong Fortress, Guide, Strong Tower, Father, God, Upright Lord, Eternal Rock, Stronghold and Protector.

Today with all the movements and so much unrest in Palestine there is probably very few that even call on the Lord for help. So God the Rock is probably not even recognized as such.

God is THE ROCK, the One who protects, saves, keeps, secures, strenghtens and shields. For the one who declares this about God He becomes the Rock that delivers, is always there.

In Palestine Rock performs duties of defense, protection, security, confidence in structure (hiding). All of the metaphors used of God can be found in the daily use of rock in the life of His people. Israel is built literally on a rock, God is their Rock spiritually and figuratively.

These are the words he sang: "The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; 3 my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the strength of my salvation, and my stronghold, my high tower, my savior, the one who saves me from violence. 4 I will call on the LORD, who is worthy of praise, for he saves me from my enemies. (niv)

In what ways is God a Rock in the above verses?

God is my fortress, shield, protection, stronghold, and high tower when I encounter too many things that are not from God. At these times I turn to God by reading His word, I turn to God through prayer, asking for His advice and strength. God is my refuge in times when I am weak, but in His fortress He strengthens me to do what is right.

For who is God except the LORD? Who but our God is a solid rock? 33 God is my strong fortress; he has made my way safe. 34 He makes me as surefooted as a deer, leading me safely along the mountain heights. 35 He prepares me for battle; he strengthens me to draw a bow of bronze. 36 You have given me the shield of your salvation; your help has made me great.

Darrell

GOD OUR ROCK,~FORTRESS AND DELIEVER~STRONGHOLD~HIS WORKS ARE PERFECT,ROCK~~STRONG TOWER~THE LORD IS UPRIGHT~ROCK OF MY SAVOIOR~ROCK ETERNAL~KNOW OTHER god, EXCEPT THE ONE AND ONLY GOD,GOD IS OUR SOLID ROCK ,KNOW EVIL WITHIN HIM.GOD IS BOTH "THE ROCK OF THE NATION ISRAEL", AND THE ROCK OF ALL WHO TRUSTS HIM.ROCK ETERNAL.GOD IS MY SOLID ROCK FROM WICH I STAND,ALL OTHER GROUND IS SINKING SAND.AMEN

A Rock is place of strength, firmness, longevity, steadfastness. The God of Israel, described as a Rock performed all the above functions. He was depicted as a Rock comprising of all the above strong characteristics. Above all this, a Rock was known as a place with caves and holes, which enabled the fugitive to escape from the enemy's pursuit. God's functions are all included in saying He is a Rock. As sure as the rock, as firm as a rock, as everlasting as a rock, etc are all allegories referred to God. He also signifies the rock out of which all humanity is hewn out. Yes, He made us in His image, the image of a steady and firm rock. We need to look at ourselves as pieces hewn out of that rock and have the same characteristics of the original lodestone.

Palestine is part desert, part mountainous area. The rocks and caves provided the much needed shade, and escape from the elements in case of emegency. Places of worship are built on mountains in Palestine, as elsewhere.

Q3. In what ways is God a Rock in the above verses.

He is the rock of our salvation our refuge and fortress and our hiding place in times of trouble. The Rock of our salvation being the only way to salvation is through Jesus who said on this rock I will build my church and he was not talking about Peter but the understanding that Peters had that he is the Son of God Most High. :D

Having only seen pictures of Palestine it is hard for me to know much about this. But it is a place of almost all rock and sand. Could be used for protection and would be a hard place to travels if you where in pursuit of anyone. It is not a place I would want to live but still yet it is the place that Abraham and the rest of Israel was for many years and that they used it for a protection with the help of God. :rolleyes:

He is our fortress-our stronghold-the Rock of Israel-the Rock of our salvation-a strong tower against the enemy-our refuge

Protection, security, as a place of refuge, and as a place to get out of the burning sun, also as shelter.

God is a Rock because He will not be moved. He is completely trustworthy and keeps all of His promises. When I call out to him I know He will always be there because He does not move away from me. He is the Rock eternal (Isaiah 26:4) because I am guaranteed a place with him in eternity. He will not go back on that promise. It is a solid truth. His works are perfect and ways are always just (Deut. 32). As a Rock He is strong and Mighty

In the above verses God is a rock in reference to a strong defence , a strong tower , shield of

protection to hide behind, a refuge.

:o I feel in palestine that a rock would hold the function of first of all a high place from which

an enemy could be seen, a high place that could be protected easily, a walled city that had

an army and gates that could be closed and a wall from which soldiers could protect the city.

and god is seen as that wall, or that high hill and a place of defence or our defender.

We can hide in God ,, seek refuge behind him. ask him to lift us up highas to protect us. etc etc.

A rock in palestine acts as protector... protective refuge.

I have many thoughts on what rock means in the Bible verses we read. First, the word rock can mean "a pebble" or it can mean "a solid large foundation." I know when we talk about the church... we ourselves are like the smaller rocks that together make up the church. We, like Peter are rocks set firmly on the faith he proclaimed. "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God." Jesus is the cornerstone. The rock of our Salvation. That rock is immovable. A rock that can never be shaken or overcome and is a firm foundation for anyone who believes. To me, that encompasses anything else we would try to see in Him as a rock in our lives.

I don't know much about Palestine and I apologize that I don't see what that has to do with any solid rock, or rock of refuge in this lesson. I think anyone who believes is under the new covenant and has a solid rock to stand on.

I'm just sorry to see all the stones being thrown there. :(

• 2 weeks later...

God is a rock in being a fortress, a place to take refuge, a safe place.

They used to take refuge in rock when in conflict with their enemies, they would make rocky areas their fortress. :)