JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Physical birth, suffering, and resurrection

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because sin entered the world through a physical man, it could only be defeated by a physical man who was sinless. That could only be Jesus the Christ. He is divine but set aside His deity to be physically born as a human, to physically suffer the burden of humanity's sin, to physically bleed His blood for our atonement, and to be physically resurrected as the ultimate proof of His victory over death caused by sin. The human body bears a heavy burden of suffering because of sin. That had to be atoned. Blood is a physical element that had to physically be offered for atonement.

As Spirit, Jesus had never known what it was like to endure the consequences of sin in a body of flesh. (I guess in His omniscience He somehow "knew", but how could He "know" experientially?) But we now have a Savior/High Priest who knows through experience what it's like to be in this limited, frail, weakened state that is humanity. He truly did fully enter into the human condition when He set aside His deity. He has shown us, in and through His body, that holiness is not impossible for mankind. In Him we have the glorious hope that sin cannot defeat us - a hope that would be unattainable without our firm knowledge that there was One like us who conquered it!

In the human sense, someone who knows what you've been through is far more credible to you than someone who just thinks they know. We can trust Christ! Our faith is not just based on spiritual power, but also on the victory of Christ as the Son of Man.

Christianity rests upon the acknowledgment of God (Yahweh) as a personal and active Presence in the affairs of man and the world that He has created. He is not Pantheistic (having no existence separate from His creation) and neither Deistic (having created everything and everyone with abilities for self-action and development and then pulling out giving no further assistance). This interaction is what distinguishes Yahweh from all other idols; He is a Living God. Yahweh hears, sees, knows, feels, wills and acts to lead, deliver, save and punish an individual.

Yahweh, in His mercy toward us, continued to demonstrate this interaction in that

Before coming to earth, Jesus was a spirit. Therefore, in order for the atonement to take place he had to live as a perfect human man. Without Jesus Christ dying for our sins, there would not have been a hope for resurrection for us.

The Christian faith stresses physical birth, suffering and resurrection, because of the belief among some (eg the Docetists) that the body (flesh) is inheritantly evil whereas only the spirtit can be good. The Christian faith however recognises that sin is a choice, that just as one can choose to do the right thing, so can one choose to do wrong. We are physically reborn when we choose Jesus to be Our Lord and Saviour, we are still in this world, but we now have available to us the wisdom and understanding we need to fully realise the consequences of our choices. When we make the wrong choice and choose the sinful route than it is both our body and spirit that suffers because we are aware of our transgression. Yet we can strive for holiness even while in our physical bodies, Jesus showed us that it is possible by His life in this world.

Q2. (1 John 4:2-3) Why does Christianity insist on a physical birth, physical suffering, and a resurrection of the physical body? How would our faith be different if Christ hadn't fully entered the human condition?

It is not possible that Jesus could have redeemed us without entering into the physical realm. Entering into sin by Adam was a physical act with eternal (supernatural, spiritual) resonances and consequences. However, it was invoked in the physical and had to be redeemed in the physical. If I sin against someone in the physical, it is not enough for me to ask Father forgiveness and repent to Him through Jesus, I have to repent in the physical and go to the person I have hurt, repenting and asking their forgiveness, and making amends where possible, before it can happen in the spiritual or eternal realms. The whole sin thing originates in the physical acts and must be fixed in that area.

If I am a cabinet maker, and I make a cupboard door that falls off, I have to make physical restitution. Saying that I'm sorry is not enough. I can't make a restitution in the soul (with my apologetic words) or spirit (maybe a determined promise never to do it again). I have to make restitution in the physical before any other apologies are acceptable.

If Christ had not entered into the human condition, then redemption could never have been satisfied. Satan would still have dominion over the earth and we would have no physical freedom from his clutches.

Q2. (1 John 4:2-3) Why does Christianity insist on a physical birth, physical suffering, and a resurrection of the physical body? How would our faith be different if Christ hadn't fully entered the human condition?

Because God in His infinite wisdom decided before the world began that man in his sinfulness would need a redeemer. He planned it and His word says it. We as Christians are ask to accept it in faith, that God is who He says He is and will do what He says He will do. We has human being want and have a need to know things one being what becomes of us in the hereafter. God gave us His plan that though we suffer death if we continue in the faith that His Son also died was buried and rose again that then we to can be resurrected in the last day.

If there wasn't Christ in the human form then He could not have died and rose for us therefore our faith would be in vain according to God's Word. It is not our place to second guess God, but I know that there was not other way than for His perfect Son to die an attoning death for us otherwise God would have spared His only Son the pain and suffering.

As I have been thinking about this question, I came to the conclusion that the physical birth, suffering, death, and resurrection of my Lord was what I needed to be able to point to as evidence of the fact that God provided for my salvation. For me it is rock solid, physical evidence of God's love for me that He planned for and paid the price for my redemption. Had this not taken place, then what evidence or what grounds would I have to base my faith for salvation? It is God's gift of salvation, physically through Christ to us that gives me the grounds for being able to say with Paul, "..I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him until that Day." (2 Timothy 1;12b NKJV)

Why does christianity insist on a physical birth (Virgin Birth- meaning he was the Son of God), physical suffering, and a resurrection of the physical body? Because God said so.

The resurrection of the physical body was the one thing that christianity is dependant upon. Without it Paul says we are to be pitied. Jesus was the first fruits of many. Jesus is alive and He lives forever. If Jesus's body hadn't been resurrected then He is still dead and I don't have any hope. God says faith comes by hearing, hearing the word of God. Jesus said He came to show us the Father. I can only assume that without Jesus coming and showing us the Father in His earthly ministry, we would not have the ability to receive salvation by faith. Remeber, you can only please the Father through faith.

The Bible states very clearly that Jesus was 100% God and 100% human being , so whoever teaches that Jesus' Christ birth , suffering and resurrection was not physical that preacher is antchrist and we should not listen to such teachings.

Our Lord Jesus Christ put on realy human body to show us that we can still resist tempation with our human nature with the help of the Holy Spirit.

If Christ hadn't fully entered the human condition the Gospel could have been half truth and many could have not believed it.

I like the following scriptures in answer to part 1 of this question:

"Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made Himself of no reputation, and took upon Him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, He humbled Himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross." Phil 2:6-8

"For we have not a high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin." Heb 4:15

Christ, as we, has proved that as He went, so can we.

Had Our Lord not manifested Himself physically our faith would be intangible, without substance.

Why Christianity insists on physical birth, physical suffering, physical death and physical resurrection.

Jesus was God (Joh 1:1 In the beginning the Word already existed; the Word was with God, and the Word was God.; GNB) Therefore He could not die as God. Thus He had to incarnate to become mand born with a human flesh, lived in the flesh, suffered and died bodily.

I wonder how my faith would have been if Christ atoning sacrifice did not involve the physical body. I probably could never be able to imagine how the Ominipotent God coud die. He had to be man to die.

Jesus' sacrifice is real. As a man He suffered greatly. We know in the Garden of Gethsemane how anxious He was about what He knew was to happen. He wanted to be relieved of the mission, if God willed it. Jesus as a man also lived like us and understood our humanity. He was tempted as we are tempted. He had a family. He had relationships. He is not remote which is why it is easy to turn to Him because He has experienced what we experience. He is not remote but close and comforting.

Christ's suffering and death is at the centre of our faith. Through this sin is conquered and by His resurrection death, the inevitable consequence that follows, is conquered. Jesus' ministry on earth and His sacrifice on the cross show God's great love for us. He ave His only Son. This is why we respond to it. If there was not suffering, if Jesus had not entered into the human condition, the sacrifice would have been symbolic not real. He would be a much more remote figure who does not relate to our fears and weaknesses. Our relationship with Him would be quite different.

For me, it was the proof I needed when I was lost, that there was a God who actually understood me. Who actually physically experienced all I experienced and that He really cared about me after looking everywhere I possibly could for the kind of love I needed. Christianity showed me Jesus became like me, suffered in life like me and was willing to never give up on me and to even die for me so I could go to Heaven and so I could have a relationship with my Father in Heaven. I came to believe that through this very real human life that there was hope for me and by faith I could make it through this life and live again eternally in glory. With much testing and watching and searching, I finally knew and rested in the truth. Without those truths....my faith would never have taken root and grown.

Q2. (1 John 4:2-3) Why does Christianity insist on a physical birth, physical suffering, and a resurrection of the physical body?

Prophecy is fulfilled in Christ coming as man, His suffering, and His resurrection.

Gen 3:14 And Jehovah God said to the serpent, Because you have done this you are cursed more than all cattle, and more than every animal of the field. You shall go upon your belly, and you shall eat dust all the days of your life.

Gen 3:15 And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your seed and her Seed; He will bruise your head, and you shall bruise His heel.

The seed is Jesus Christ. Luke 1:31 And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS. PROPHECY OF A PHYSICAL BIRTH FULFILLED

Heb 2:10 For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.

Captain means "leader" Jesus endurance of sufferings makes Him our leader. He understands our pain because He went through suffering.

The serpent will strike His heel, referring to Christs death on the cross, but, unlike the curse on Satan, Christs death would be conquered by His resurrection. --

1Co 15:12 Now if Christ be preached that he rose from the dead, how say some among you that there is no resurrection of the dead?

1Co 15:13 But if there be no resurrection of the dead, then is Christ not risen:

1Co 15:14 And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain.

1Co 15:15 Yea, and we are found false witnesses of God; because we have testified of God that he raised up Christ: whom he raised not up, if so be that the dead rise not.

1Co 15:16 For if the dead rise not, then is not Christ raised:

1Co 15:17 And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins.

1Co 15:18 Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished.

1Co 15:19 If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.

1Co 15:20 But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept.

1Co 15:21 For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead.

1Co 15:22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.

OUR HOPE IS FOUND IN THE DEATH AND RESURRECTION OF OUR LORD AND SAVIOR who was born of a virgin, came in the flesh and is now seated at the right hand of the Father. PROPHECY IS FULFILLED IN THE RESURRECTION of Jesus.

God releases into our lives the power of Christ's resurrection

Rom 6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

How would our faith be different if Christ hadn't fully entered the human condition? our hope would have been in vain

Christianity demands a physical birth, death & resurrection. There had to be a real man to live a perfect life to be the sacrifice for us to please a just God. Knowing none of us is without sin, God intervened & provided himself as the perfect physical body on whom God's judgement could be set upon to fulfil the sacrifice needed to bridge the separation between man & God. Without this happening our faith would have NOTHING to stand on.

I'VE OFTEN WONDERED WHY GOD DIDNT SEND AN ANGEL TO DIE ON THE CROSS INSTEAD OF ALLOWING HIS BELOVED SON TO SUFFER SUCH CRUELTY AT CALVARY.BUT WHEN I REALISED THE LOVE GOD HAS FOR ME PERSONALLY, IN THAT HE CHOSE TO BECOME MAN AND ENDURE HARDSHIPS TO REDEEM ME, I CAN RELATE TO A GOD LIKE THAT.AND I THINK THAT'S WHY CHRISTIANITY INSISTS ON A PHYSICAL BIRTH , SUFFERING AND RESURRECTION.WE KNOW HE'S BEEN THERE AND HE KNOWS WHAT IT'S LIKE TO SUFFER TEMPTATION THOUGH HE DID NOT SIN.IF CHRIST HADNT ENTERED THE HUMAN CONDITION, OUR FAITH WOULD BE BASED ON NOTHING , OUR FAITH WOULD BE IN VAIN AND WE'D HAVE NO HOPE.

Q2. (1 John 4:2-3) Why does Christianity insist on a physical birth, physical suffering, and a resurrection of the physical body?

The answer to this question is found in the second chapter of Genesis, the beginning where all life forms began, through the creativity of our Heavenly Father.

Genesis Chapter 2:16-17

16 And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:

17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

Sin entered the body, through the mouth. Lord God commanded man not to eat from the tree of knowledge of good and evil, because by doing so, we would surely die. Not maybe die or possibly die, but that we would surely die. Sin entered the body, through the mouth by disobedience to God

The answer to this question is found in the second chapter of Genesis, the beginning where all life forms began, through the creativity of our Heavenly Father.

Genesis Chapter 2:16-17

16 And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:

17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

Sin entered the body, through the mouth. Lord God commanded man not to eat from the tree of knowledge of good and evil, because by doing so, we would surely die. Not maybe die or possibly die, but that we would surely die. Sin entered the body, through the mouth by disobedience to God

WELL FOR IT TO BE A PHYSICAL BIRTH AND SUFFERING I CAN'T SAY THAT CHRISTIANS MADE THE DESCISIONS FOR THIS TO OCCUR, BUT GOD KNEW THAT TTHIS IS WHAT IT WOULD TAKE FOR THOSE TO BELIEVE IN IT EVEN THOUGH THERE ARE STILL THOSE TODAY WHO DON'T BELIEVE THAT CHRIST HAS COME AND THEY ARE AWAITING HIS COMING.

GOD ESTABLISHED THAT ATONEMENT FOR SIN WOULD BE NECESSARY IN THE OLD TESTAMENT TO CONTINUE AND FULFILL HIS PROMISES MADE IN THE OLD TESTAMENT GOD KNEW THAT JESUS WOULD HAVE TO ENTER IN THE PHYSICAL FORM HE WOULD HAVE TO BE BORN OF A VIRGIN, HE WOULD HAVE TO REMAIN SINLESS AND HE WOULD HAVE TO SHEAD BLOOD AS AN ATONEMENT FOR SINS.

IF JESUS HAD NOT ENTERED IN THIS HUMAN CONDITION I THINK IT WOULD BE EVEN HARDER FOR HUMANS TO BELIEVE THAT ANYTHING OCCURRED, YOU KNOW HUMANS HAVE TO BE SHOWN BEFORE THEY CAN BELIEVE. THAT IS WHY JESUS SAID, Blessed are those who haven't seen Jesus, but still believe in Him, that is all Christians:

For we are confessing that Jesus came in the flesh, suffered and died for our sins and rose on the 3rd day

If Christ had not fully entered the human condition we would not be having this lesson. The Spirit would not be alive in us today, we would not be close to God, for our sins would seperate us