JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. The Lord's Supper and Forgiveness

• 3 weeks later...

"This is My blood, which is poured out for many, for the forgiveness of sins. Do this in remembrance of Me."

It is sin that has to be dealt with in order for us to be redeemed back to God. Our sin stands between us and God until it is forgiven. If we are to stand in right relationship with Jesus then we have to repent of our sins to Him as well as forgive others (extend that forgiveness to those who have offended us.) Repentance is the highway that John the Baptist declared to men as a preparation of the way for Jesus. It is still the preparation. We repent. Then Jesus can come in and establish the new creation, the new order of things for which He so dearly paid. Forgiveness is also the new way for us to deal with the world andits hardships. The banner under which we stand is forgiveness. We are both to give it and to receive it. When we get that flow right we are close to God.

Then, as sons of God we take the Lord's Supper in demonstration of that relationship.

To treat the Lord's Supper with less care than this is to blaspheme or cause a sacrilege. We are coming close to the Most High. To violate the glory and holiness of the Most High God brings with it a curse, because this whole world stands on the edge between blessing and cursing. The curse is not to be accepted by the Holy One, and to be thrown out with the angels of satan. Yet, to honour Him through belief and obedience brings blessing far greater than we can contain. Hallelujah to our Jesus!

Q4. What do the Words of Institution say to us about forgiveness? Why is it important for us to repent of known sin before taking the Lord's Supper?

"This is my blood...which has been poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins."

The words say that the atoning sacrife of Jesus, the shedding of His blood, was for the forgiveness of the sins of all that turned to Him. Forgiveness is absolute. It is not partial. Without it would could not be justified with God. Sin is what blocked our relationship with God. There was no way of bridging the gulf between sinful man and God without this sacrifice. Every sin works to turn us away from Jesus. The devil works to do just that. Sin is the barrier and sin is the threat to our life in Jesus and our eternity with Him. When we remember the blood of the sacrifice by partaking of it at the Lord's Supper, we must confess and repent all our sins so that we are purified by His blood and brought into complete community with Jesus.

This is my blood poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. (all my sins past, present & future!)

If we have not confessed & repented of our sins before taking the cup we have closed the communication between God & ourselves. The Bible says we take of communion unworthily if we haven't confessed & repented of known sins in our lives. I Cor. 11:28 "A man ought to examine himself before he eats the bread and drinks of the cup." We need to do this in reverence for God and not to bring judgement on ourselves.

Q4. What do the Words of Institution say to us about forgiveness? Why is it important for us to repent of known sin before taking the Lord's Supper?

That our sin are washed away by the blood of Christ poured out for us. We are redeemed fromm all sin through Christ and His suffering on the cross to bring us to the Father.

If we don't repent we are making the death of Christ none effect. without repentance there can be no forgiveness. We are to take it in a worthy manner and put Christ first in our thought and deeds. If we don't repent of all sin it is like we want to keep it hidden from God and He already knows all our faults. We can't have a close relationship with God without admitting to those sin that keep us from enjoying His love for us.

For me these Words are a reminder of why Christ came. "This is my blood ... which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.'" (Matthew 26:28) He came and freely gave His life that I might be forgiven, reconciled, and be a part of God's great family. It reminds me that His forgiveness is for whosoever wills to come to Him. (John 3:16). It is a constant reminder that I do not have to perish but I can have everlasting life, for He made it possible.

As far as the importance of repentance of sin before taking of the Lord's supper. I cannot truly have real communion with Him if there is sin in my life for it separates me from Him. It puts a barrier between me and my Lord. Anything between myself and the Master must be cleared up if I desire to truly enjoy the fellowship of His presence.

When one forgives, all bitterness and anger disappear from the inner man and leave ground of good soil for the planting of the fullness of the Word. As we are forgiven by God, so must we forgive those who transgress against us.

Those who come to the Lord's table must ask for forgiveness and have a willingness to repent of their sins as God does not hear sinners. It would be somewhat hypocritical to take of the communion which represents the Lord's sacrifice to save us from our sin while we are yet sinners.

When one refuses to forgive, one is exercising his own will over that of God's, after all, if God the only one who truly knows us in all of our complexity can forgive us, then what right have we to withhold forgiveness from another? It is important to remember that we are to forgive, it matters not whether the person that receives our forgiveness acknowledges or even accepts it, much less that he has 'earned' it.

If one partakes of communion without confessing any known sin, or while holding onto unforgiveness, then one is doing so while separated from God, and so the Body. How can one be united when one persists in clinging to that which separates us, ie by not forgiving we are sinning through disobedience to God.

When we drink of the cup , we are affirming that Christ's blood was shed for our forgiveness and our pardon so there is need to fear we should repent of all known and unknown sins to have this complete forgiveness of our Lord Jesus Christ

On the night of the passover, Jesus washed His disciples feet. There was a meaning in this for all of us. He says our bodies are clean, but our feet get dirty. What does this mean? We are saved, period! But we continue to sin. Jesus says we need to be cleansed before we can fellowship with Him. I think that is why He washed His disciples feet before instituting the Lord's Supper. We need to be prepared to fellowship (repent and be forgiven of known sin) before we eat and drink of the body and blood.

Holy Communion is the partaking of the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ as He commanded all believers to do in order to honor Him and HIs perfect sacrifice for our sins. We cannot be forgiven, unless we are repentent and confess our sins to Him. He has said that our remembrance of His Death and Passion, and Life given sacrificially for us be practiced regularly. I feel sure we all NEED this remembrance and to come often so we will face our sinfulness and repent and be forgiven, instead of letting our sins build up into a mountain of burden in us.... for we tend to cover our own minds to our own sinfulness and lacks.

The Bible also warns us that taking the HOly Communion must not be taken lightly, for if we do not repent, and do not change, we are bringing upon ourselves the curse of our sins, instead of being forgiven...and says "many are sick" when they do take communion unworthily...in other words without true repentance.

It also says if we refuse to forgive others for their sins against us, that our Father will not forgive us our sins....so forgiveness is vital to making our communion holy and acceptable to Him and for us.

THE WORDS OF INSTITUTION SAYS THAT ALL OUR SINS HAVE BEEN FORGIVEN BECAUSE OF THE SHED BLOOD OF JESUS, ONCE AND FOR ALL. HIS BLOOD SACRIFICE WAS ACCEPTABLE UNTO THE FATHER SO WE ARE NO LONGER CONDEMNED BUT RECONCILED UNTO A HOLY GOD.JUST AS I WANT HIM TO FORGIVE ME WHEN I SIN, I MUST ALSO EXTEND FORGIVENESS TO OTHERS WHO HAVE HURT ME OR MISTREATED ME.I MUST ADMIT I HAVE STRUGGLED TO FORGIVE MANY PEOPLE WHO HAVE BROUGHT PAIN TO MY LIFE OVER THE YEARS.BUT THAT UNFORGIVENESS WAS MAKING ME SICK, LIKE A POISON TO MY SOUL. NOW I UNDERSTAND THE IMPORTANCE OF FORGIVING AND RELEASING OTHERS TO GOD AND LETTING HIM DEAL WITH THEM.IF I TAKE THE LORD'S SUPPER WITHOUT GENUINE REPENTANCE, THEN I HAVE SIN IN MY LIFE AND MY HEART IS NOT RIGHT WITH GOD.IF I WANT TO ENJOY INTIMACY WITH THE LORD AND FELLOWSHIP WITH HIM DAILY, THEN I MUST ASK HIM TO SEARCH MY HEART AND SHOW ME THE THINGS THAT ARE NOT LIKE HIM IN MY HEART SO THAT I CAN CONFESS AND RECEIVE HIS FORGIVENESS.

Q4. What do the Words of Institution say to us about forgiveness?

Paul did not praise the brethren concerning the Lord's Supper, he praised them not for they were splintered into factions, with unforgiveness towards others. Christ forgave us our sins and nailed them to the cross, He also commands us to forgive each other, it is a fruit of the Spirit. When I come to the table in remembrance of what Christ did, He forgave a debt I could not pay, I rejoice, I celebrate, I am thankful that I am forgiven. I am reminded He also wants me to forgive others and He sent the Holy Spirit to help me live a life pleasing to Him, He gave me the word to grow in.

Why is it important for us to repent of known sin before taking the Lord's Supper?

Repentance means a change of mind, turn away from sin. If we have known sin in our lives, what better place to go but to the communion table, for we are reminded of who has paid the price for our sins for God to forgive us. He has given us the Holy Spirit to help us become an overcomer. Christ did not redeem man, so he could continue in his sin, He came to break those chains that binds us to sin. It is our choice to receive this covenant with Christ, it is our choice to follow after Him. It is at this table we Remember we are His bride, He is coming for His bride, who is making herself ready for Him. He did not suffer and die so we can continue in sin. If we love Him, we will want to change our ways - keep His commandments ---- look what He did on the cross just for me, just for you. Repent, what joy there is in seeing Christ's saving power change me, mold me into a new creation.

"This is my blood of the covenant which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins." What this says to me is that the price to gain my forgiveness with God was extremely high. I've always thought that it would only have taken a drop of that holy undefiled blood to cleanse me of my sinful condition, but He poured out every last drop for me. All the covenant promises of eternity are now my inheritance because I am forgiven in Christ. Yahweh so loved me that He gave His only begotten Son, and because I believe in Christ I will not perish, but have everlasting life! There is no other son begotten of the Father, but now He has adopted us as His own through the holy blood of that Son. Forgiveness is an evidence of love.

It is important to engage in some introspection to search out my sins and confess them before participating in Communion. 1 Cor. 11:27 tells us that if we eat the bread or drink the cup in an unworthy -sinful- manner that we will be guilty of profaning Christ's sacrificed body and blood. If I were to bring known transgressions to the Lord's Table, it would be an insult, an outrage, a profane desecration of the precious blood of Christ that was poured out so I wouldn't have to be in bondage to sin anymore. It would be like telling Him, "I appreciate what you did and all, but Your blood wasn't really enough to set me free from this. It wasn't adequate to gain victory for me. It isn't sufficient to guard my heart from sin. It's not really satisfaction of the guilt I carry." What a haughty attitude toward the suffering and sacrifice of the only Way, the Truth, and the Life! Pride has no place at the Lord's Table.

Forgiveness has already been accomplished, but we must receive it for each time we miss the mark of holiness in living out our daily lives. With our confession comes the promise of fresh cleansing and restoration of broken fellowship with the Father caused by the sins of our flesh. In receiving forgiveness, we can come to His Table to identify with Him in His love, sacrifice, obedience, and reward. Isn't God just grand? We can participate in the holiness of Christ and all that was gained through His death because He forgives!

THE WORDS OF INSTITUTION SAYS THAT WE ARE TO FORGIVE AS HE HAS FORGIVEN US. WE ARE TO HOLD NO MAN IN BONDAGE BY NOT FORGIVING NO MATTER HOW GREAT THE SIN FOR THERE WAS NO SIN TO GREAT THAT JESUS COULD NOT FORGIVE WITH HIS BLOOD.

IT IS SO IMPORTANT FOR US TO REPENT OUR SINS AND TRY TO AVOID THOSE SINS BEFORE TAKING THE LORD'S SUPPER. THIS IMPORTANCE IS BECAUSE WE ARE TO DO AS CHRIST DID, HE FORGAVE BUT FIRST WE MUST RID THAT BURDEN OF SIN FROM OUR SOULS BEFORE WE CAN COME INTO THE LORD'S SUPPER. WE MUST TRY TO RID THAT SIN SO THAT WE ARE NOT CONSTANTLY REPENTING THIS BAD BEHAVIOR.

The Words of the Institution say that the blood of the lord Jesus christ was poured out for the forgivenes of many. The sacrificial death of Christ made it possible for the sins of many who confessed and believed in Him to be bloted out. Such redeemed individual should no longer live with any guilt for their past sins as they have been blotted. Such amazing grace!

It is important to confess our sins before taking the Holy communion becased by eating the bread and drinking Holy Communion water, we are participating in Christ death and fellowshiping with Him. How can we share with the holy One with our sins? Sin is evil and unholy. Our fellowship with the Son should be with absolute holiness as He has commanded that we should be holy because He is holy.

We must be very careful that we do not come to take the Lord's Supper or Communion with unforgiveness in our hearts. The instructions were to be sure we had the forgivenss of our sins under the blood before partaking of His communion, because He plainly told them, because they came with sin in their lives, some became very sick, other even fell asleep or died. Our Heavenly Father expects us His children to live right, do right and be right if not then we MUST pay the price.

here it declares forgiveness for all who beleive Jesus Christ as Lord, who gave His life freely as the perfect sacrifice, the Lamb of God.

In Matthew 6:14, Jesus tells us "if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you". How can we come to the Lord's Table with known grievances in our hearts and if we do take it too lightly we know what Paul warns us about that {1Corinthians 11:28-30}

What do the Words of Institution say to us about forgiveness?

"This is my blood...which has been poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins."

Not forgiveness of just a sin, but all sin, for all time, for all people, once and for all.

Why is it important for us to repent of known sin before taking the Lord's Supper?

The average adult has about five liters of blood living inside of their body, coursing through their vessels, delivering essential elements, and removing harmful wastes. Without blood, the human body would stop working.

Blood is the fluid of life, transporting oxygen from the lungs to body tissue and carbon dioxide from body tissue to the lungs. Blood is the fluid of growth, transporting nourishment from digestion and hormones from glands throughout the body. Blood is the fluid of health, transporting disease fighting substances to the tissue and waste to the kidneys.

Because it contains living cells, blood is alive. Red blood cells and white blood cells are responsible for nourishing and cleansing the body. Since the cells are alive, they too need nourishment. Vitamins and Minerals keep the blood healthy. The blood cells have a definite life cycle, just as all living organisms do.

Our Creator knew all of this? Blood is a cleansing agent, a purifying agent. Before we swallow a representation of His life

There is no sin to great for Gods forgiveness.

We need to worship the Lord in Truth, we do not need to be afraid for God is Love and will forgive if we repent, we should not hold back.

Luke 23:46

God is a Spirit and they that worship Him must worship Him in Spirit and in Truth

It tells of us who believe and trust in Christ Jesus that He completely forgives our sins, past, present and future by His precious blood shed from the cross at Calvary. But just as Jesus told His disciples that their feet needed cleansing from the dirt (a picture of sin) from the everyday world where they

What do the Words of institution say to us about forgiveness?

"This is my blood...which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins."-Math 26.28

As we drink from the cup,we are affirming that Christ's blood was shed for the forgiveness of our sins.

When we partake of the Lord's Supper with unconfessed sin in our life, we are partaking in an unworthy manner. Many in the Corinthian Church died because they took communion in a disrespectful manner.

My church usually has communion the first sunday of the month. I always try to either confess my sins to God the night before or that morning, because I want to be able to take the bread and the cup with a clean heart.