JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 3 weeks later...

The 12 apostles ate the meal of consecration for the new covenant in order to be witnesses as Christ instituted it and in order to ratify it on the behalf of humanity. This follows the example of Exodus 24:11, where the chief leaders of Israel ate together in the presence of God to confirm the old covenant on behalf of their nation. I never realized this before. On my behalf, the disciples accepted God's promise of forgiveness and my responsibility to believe in His Son.

I am reminded that at Jesus' birth, the hosts of angels proclaimed, "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, goodwill among those with whom He is pleased!" This new covenant now instituted that new relationship of peace between God and man, as He was making us pleasing to Himself through the sacrificed blood of Christ. The enmity that existed between us has now been transformed by the peace and goodwill of Yahweh towards us. Glory to God, indeed, for the cup of the covenant!

Every time I come to the Lord's Table, I should be there to reconfirm that ratification of the new covenant. I should humble my heart in the presence of God to eat before Him in agreement. In drinking of the cup, it should remind me that the precious blood of Jesus is my salvation. This is a very solemn thing, for it is a costly gift of mercy and grace born of the divine love of God. Drinking the Cup should remind me that I have taken Christ in and now I am identified with Him in sacrifice and death to the flesh. Oh, that I would never again be like the Israelites as they received their wonderful divine promises and yet were unfaithful so many times to their own responsibilities. May I live more true than ever to the covenant God has made with me.

Q3. What is the significance of the 12 Apostles drinking the Cup of the Covenant? To whom would they correspond under the ratification of the Old Covenant? (Hint: Exodus 24:11.) What is the significance of us drinking the Cup of the Covenant?

The significance of the 12 is the establishment of the New Covenant. They represented us in the beginning much as the 70 Elders represented Israel in Exodus. The significance of us drinking the cup is our own personal ratification of the New Covenant. A personal relationship with Almighty God. We are saying "I accept Your gift. I accept my responsibility before You. And I reaffirm this covenant between me and You.

Q3. What is the significance of the 12 Apostles drinking the Cup of the Covenant? To whom would they correspond under the ratification of the Old Covenant? (Hint: Exodus 24:11.) What is the significance of us drinking the Cup of the Covenant?

The significance of the disciples drinking from the Cup of the Covenant is that they were sealing the covenant by participating in it just as the seventy elders did after the covenant described in Exodus 24. In this case as surrogates of the Israelite nation. When we drink from the Cup of the Covenant we renew that covenant and bind ourselves to it as if we had been present at the Last Supper when the covenant was first sealed. It makes everyone of us a personal covenantee with Jesus. A covenant which we cannot break. The covenant, while general to mankind, is also personal to us and Jesus. He covenants with me.

The Apostles are the begining of the covenant with God. They are the leaders that stand in for the people in making this covenant. They accept this covenant for us knowing that the Love of God is there for all to accept and acknowledge.

They correspond to Moses and the Elders in the desert accepting the covenant with God for the people of Isreal.

When we drink of the cup and eat the bread we are accepting that coventant entered into by the apostles for us so long ago. We are agreeing that Jesus died for all our sin and accepting that death as our attonement. We are agreeing with God that He is the only way that we can enter into everlasting life and Joy with Him.

We are committing to live as He commands and as holy a life as the Spirit leads us to. We are agreeing to go into the world and teach the Good News to those who need a saviour as we do and to share with them the love that Christ has for us and ll who chose to acknowldge Him as Lord and Saviour

When the 12 Apostles shared the cup and ate bread with Jesus they were the ones selected by Jesus and charged with spreading God's word to all, their position was the same as that of the 70 elders who feasted with Moses after the Old Covenant made during the Exodus.

When we share in the Cup of the Covenant we are identifying with and taking our place amongst the 12, by our belief in Jesus as Our Lord and Saviour and Son of God. To partake of communion reinforces our membership in God's Holy Family and seals the commission we too, as believers, have been given through our belief, that of sharing the Gospel with all nations.

THE TWELVE APOSTLES DRINKING THE CUP OF THE COVENANT SIGNIFICES THE UNION BETWEEN THE 12 AND CHRIST. IT IS A VOW THAT SEALS THE COVENANT AND A PROMISE TO CONTINUE WITH THE WORK THAT CHRIST HAS ESTABLISHED.

WHEN WE DRINK OF THE CUP WE ARE ALSO SEALING A BOND WITH GOD THAT WE TOO WILL CONTINUE WITH THE WORK OF CHRIST, SPREADING THE WORD, TEACHING, LOVING, ETC.

By drinking the Cup of the Covenant the Apostles were confirming their commitment to the New Covenant. In a way they represented those of us who would follow down through the ages. Their actions corresponded to that of Moses, Aaron, Nadab, Abihu and the 70 elders when they were the representatives of the people confirming the Old Covenant. For us today each time we share the Cup of the Covenant we renew our commitment to the New Covenant and Christ as our Redeemer - Savior. I found myself in agreement with what Dr. Wilson said. "I believe that whenever we celebrate the Lord's Supper we are sharing a Covenant Meal at Jesus' Table. We eat his Bread and drink his Wine, and so renew our commitment to the New Covenant he established so many years ago." What a privilege it is for us to sit at His table.

To eat and drink with someone is to express great unity of spirit. Nobody eats with people with whom they have a significant disagreement When people eat together on the basis of a specific agreement it expresses great trust and confidence in that agreement and in the other as a partner in it. For example the wedding breakfast is a form of eating in specific witness, celebration and agreement over the new status and covenant relationship of the newly married couple. So when Jesus told the disciples that He had been longing to celebrate the last supper with them, and then instituted the manner of the partaking of the Holy Communion as a covenant feast, He was actually changing an age old institution of Passover and giving it new significance. He was placing His Blood on the covenant table as the over-riding sacrifice that purchased freedom - not from the Egyptian slavery, but from the all-encompassing slavery of sin itself, not just the release of Israelites, but the release of the whosoever in the whole earth wished to participate, not just release for the term of a natural life but for eternity. This was the promised New Covenant about to be consumated on the cross. This was the great event that made the original, miraculous crossing of the Red Sea pale into insignificance.

The twelve disciples were witness and participants in this new covenant as had been the elders of Israel eating with God on the mountain.

If we drink the Cup of the Covenant, we are then entering covenant with God. This is a binding agreement with promise and also with consequence if one falls out of it. In the marriage service, before the marriage is declared, the witnesses are asked if anyone has reason to disagree with what is happening. If any disparity is not produced at this point, then none is permitted subsequently because the covenant of marriage is legally binding on the whole community which participates. So, when we drink the cup of communion we are binding ourselves into commitment which cannot be broken.We can't actually come along later and say "Oh but....!" It is not a possibility. It's not only for life - it's for eternity. As with someone who tries to interfere with a marriage which has been legally proclaimed, they will be ostracised and told that they are too late, their problem cannot be heard, the community has made its decision and the decision stands, they have no right to oppose. So a person who dishonours the communion feast does so at his/her very great peril of ostracism from the Kingdom of Heaven - a curse indeed. We are in covenant with the King of Kings, written His blood! There is no agreement on earth to compare with it. We are invited, not compelled, to participate. Let us do so with great reverence and honour.

The Apostles ratified the New Covenant when they drank of the cup representing Jesus' blood. This they did as our founding fathers, representing us and communicating the significance of Our Lord's crucifixtion and preaching the Good News to the world. And, when we drink of the cup, we are reminded of this, as well as once again accepting our role and responsibility in the body of Christ and, our personal commitment to walk as He did.

It shows that they were in union or communion with God and other Apostles. This is the same with us today , it shows that we are in union with God and other believers .

The significant of the 12 Apostles drinking the cup of the Covenant.

The action sealed the New covenant. This confirmed the new Covenant on behalf of all of us.

The 12 Apostles correspond to the 70 elders that God invited to up to the mountain. They ate and drank- the Covenant meal to ratify the Old Covenant on behalf of the rest of Israel.

The significance of us drinking the Cup of the Covenant.

Whenever we drink the Cup at the Holy Communion, we affirm the New Covenant where Jesus is the Sacrificial Lamb and the represent blood of the Covenant. When we do, we partake in the Covenant Meal and share with one another and with Jesus. We remember this signicant act of grace and love of our God.

As in Exodus 24, Moses and the 70 ate and drank with God affirming the covenant made. The 12 ate and drank with Christ affirming the New Covenant made on our behalf.

We continue this as we come around the Lord's Table renewing our affirmation of this Covenant.

:rolleyes:

The significance of the twelve apostles drinking the cup of the covenant is that it was binding them to the New Covenant.

They corresponed under the ratification of the Old Covenant to the nobles of the children of Israel.

The significance of us drinking the cup of the covenant is by partaking of the cup,we renew our committment to the New Covenant.

Q3. What is the significance of the 12 Apostles drinking the Cup of the Covenant?

Perhaps each one of the twelve, represented one each of the twelve tribes. These were the elders who would carry the teachings of Jesus to the early church. These were the twelve whom would die, believing in Jesus and His teachings. Most all , even to martyrdom. These were the same twelve whom He revealed Himself to, who walked and talked and prayed with Jesus.

To whom would they correspond under the ratification of the Old Covenant? (Hint: Exodus 24:11.)

These twelve were the nobles of their time. They accepted this drink and this bread on behalf of the children of Israel, whom we all are. We are the sons and the daughters of God, who is the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God if Jacob, who is the great I AM, the God of Israel. The twelve disciples, would correspond with Abraham, Moses, the Hebrews and the sojourners, The Gentiles and the Jew, who in, there is no difference.

What is the significance of us drinking the Cup of the Covenant?

We are the chosen, in whom God has called to be His children. We are the ones that God has chosen to make this covenant with. It is our choice, if we want to make and or even keep this covenant.

I have read the contract. I like what is says and I completely agree in this covenant. I am sold to the highest bidder, because there is no one higher, than My Father, who has sought me and bought me, with His redeeming blood. All my life, all that I have, all that I am or ever hope to be, is due Him. My heart is the alter of The Lord. It is in my heart and in my soul that I submit myself unto Him, for He is worthy. For it is not I that live, but Him that lives in me. I have long since died.

Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off -- for all whom the Lord our God will call." (Acts 2:38-39)

It is the Lord our God, who has called us into service. It is His voice that echoes, in our inner spirit. It is up to us, to listen to Him that giveth us

EVERYTHING HAS BEEN SAID AND MY HEART AND CUP IS JUST FLOWING OVER, READING ALL THESE UNBELIEVABLE ANSWERS. ALL I CAN ADD IS THANKS TO THE APOSTLE, ALSO THOSE THAT BROUGHT THE WORD OF GOD TO US AND THE LEADERS OF OUR CHURCHES THAT BRING US THE TRUE WORD OF GOD AND MOST OF ALL - THANK YOU LORD JESUS MY PRECIOUS SAVIOR THAT I MAY DRINK THE CUP OF LOVE OF YOUR COVENANT!

It is really eye opening to me to see the parallel between the Old Testament and the New.

Under the old covenant the leaders and the elders served in the same way the disciples served under the new. They were a part of ratifying the new covenant just as the elders were a part of ratifying the old. It was the blood of Christ that sealed the new covenant for us all. Under the old covenant, it was the blood of animal sacrifices and for the children of Israel, but today it is for all who believe, because by faith we are all considered His chosen people.

The significance of us drinking the cup is that we symbolically remember the new covenant sealed for us under the blood of Jesus. We are given the freedom to partake in this ceremony and proclaim our faith in the new covenant that we belong to God as sons and daughters chosen by Him and given eternal life through the blood of Jesus.

It is significant that the 12 apostles drank of the cup of the covenant because they were there with Jesus--face to face--and open to this new covenant Jesus was about to ratify by His death. This would correspond to the 70 elders who ate with God.

For us, it is the re-ratification of this covenant Jesus made with us--the continual remembrance of what He did for us & remembrance of what we are to do......

Q3. What is the significance of the 12 Apostles drinking the Cup of the Covenant? To whom would they correspond under the ratification of the Old Covenant? (Hint: Exodus 24:11.)

In Exodus they ate the festive covenant meal in the presence of God, a grand celebration! a covenant with God! We see a glimpse into the future as the 12 Apostles drink the Cup of the Covenant, a new covenant to be brought to us by the death and resurrection of Jesus. This will bring us into a covenant, a relationship with the Almight God.

What is the significance of us drinking the Cup of the Covenant?

We are drinking the cup that seals our covenant with God. It is my way of saying "yes, I will" to God. Yes, I believe in the blood shed for me, yes I believe that Christ rose from the dead and is seated at the right hand of the Father. Yes, I beleive He is the only mediator between me and the Father and He is speaking on my behalf. Yes, I will love you, and only you. There will be no other god's before you. Yes, I am making myself ready for your return. Another signifcance I have as I drink the Cup of the Covenant is - Yes, I am thankful for all you have done for me, thankful for the saving grace and your mercy, I am celebrating, for there is so much to be thankful for.

...Q4. Why is the Lord's Table such a time of intimate fellowship with Jesus?

The Lord has gone to alot of work in preparing His Table. It consist of His death and His resurrection. He is our Bridegroom. We have been invited to eat this meal with Him. At this meal there is Joy, Peace, and love. He has asked me to come back to the table again soon, and I am looking forward to it, and I am already getting myself ready, for I want to make Him happy, I want to please Him, why? because I love Him ,and He has asked me to be His bride. Thank you Lord for inviting me over to dine with you, I love being in your presence.

In your experience with having meals with friends, what makes the difference between a casual, forgettable meal, and one which is rich with memories? Being with friends and loved ones always makes a meal taste better and the memories linger.

How can this insight make your experience of the Lord's Table more meaningful?

At the Lord's Table is a friend closer than a brother, Jesus Christ. Also at the table is my family in Christ, those brothers and sisters in the Lord. Its meaning is found in the Family Unit, bound together by this Covenant with God, sealed by the blood of the Lamb, ratified by our "yes we believe"

What is the significance of the 12 apostles drinking the Cup of the Convenant?

It meant that they were fellowshiping with Christ.The cup of the convenant meant that they were united under one spirit. Christ had taught his disciples how to be humble and the ways that they can do it with others. The many times that they would do the Lord's supper they would remeber that it was a time to remeber the crucifixtion of Jesus and the appearance of His Second Coming. The apostle Paul would do the same thing in the book of Corinthian but they took it as a time to be crazy and merry instead of reflecting what was important to them which was the Savior death and suffering.

To whom would they correspond under the ratification of the Old Convenant?

In the book of exodus,the elders had seen the Lord of all Lords,the Israelites at the time made a blood convenant with God himself on the mountain.The book of the convenant was a serious of laws,instructions,and judgements that were recorded by Moses and it was the done with the sprinkiling of the blood of the God.Moses had taken the blood and sprinkled it on the people so it was done completely different then in the book of the Gospels.The Israelites were now under the blood convenant of the Lord and it represents our own relationship today with Christ and GOd.In verses 9-11,it was a prophetic glimpse into what the Lord's Supper would represent to the 12 apostels of Jesus time.

What is the significance of us drinking the Cup of the Convenant?

It means that we are washed in the blood of the convenant with Jesus.Every now and then we do partake of the Lord's Supper to remind ourselves to remain humble and holy. We are the disciples of Christ and we show our faithfulness and He reminds us that we were created through his blood and spirit. :)

When they drank the Cup of the Covenant, the 12 Apostles were confirming and binding themselves with the Lord Jesus to His New Covenant with them, just as we do the same thing when we, as believers in Christ, partake of the Cup representing His precious blood He shed for us at Calvary. In the ratification of the Old Covenant, it was the nobles (or 70 elders) that the 12 drinking the Cup of the Covenant, and they represented all of the Israelites as believers in the Lord their God. With us as Christian believers, the significance of us drinking the Cup of the Covenant is to confirm our beliefs and to bind us together with the Lord Jesus because of His blood which He shed for us for the forgiveness of our sins as well as for joining us together as a new family

Jesus sharing the Cup of the Covenant with the 12 Apostles was the ratification of the New Covenant which Jesus would institute through his own death. It would mark the fulfillment of the prophecy in Jeremiah 31. The apostles would be representatives of the gospel carrying an authority to lead and instruct those who would become disciples of Christ. This representation and recognition to lead and instruct the Israelites in the ways of God was first demonstrated with Moses, Aaron, Nadab, Abihu and the seventy elders upon ratification of the Old Covenant. Today, when we drink the Cup of the Covenant we are entering into that same covenant of obedience and accepting the responsibility of being representatives of Christ.

What is the significance of the 12 Apostles drinking the Cup of the Covenant?

In the Old Testament, Moses and the 70 elders ate in God's presence as representatives of the people to confirm the Old Covenant.

In the same way, the 12 Apostles eating in Jesus' presence confirms the beginning of the New Covenant.

To whom would they correspond under the ratification of the Old Covenant?

I already answered that in the previous question.

What is the significance of our drinking the Cup of the Covenant?

Whenever we drink of the Cup of the Lord's Supper, we are renewing our commitment to the New Covenant which Jesus established at that very first communion meal.

The significance of the Apostles drinking the Cup of the Covenant is to confirm the New Covenant and to bind them to this new covenant.

They would correspond under the ratification of the Old Covenant to the 70 elders eating in God