JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Repairing the Divisions

• 3 weeks later...

There is nothing new under the sun when it comes to human nature! The problems of the Corinthian church are still problems today. We face a lack of integrity and trustworthiness, immorality and impurity, lawsuits by believers against believers, marital infidelity, idolatry, demands for our "rights", selfishness and lack of love, misunderstanding of spiritual gifts, perversions of the crucified Christ and our resurrection through Him, stingy begrudging givers. The flesh does not naturally seek out unity! This is very serious because it violates the direct commands of the Word, fragments the Body, and damages the reputation of the Lord as we represent Him in the world.

I spent many years in a spiritually immature congregation that was constantly quarreling and divided about something. We had one pastor after another who did not confront the issues in a scriptural manner and left the church in a hurtful way. There were divisions of the church during my years there, resulting in 3 different congregations who now barely want to speak to each other. I realize that not only was that body of believers not being led by the Spirit, but it habitually came to the Lord's Supper in unrepentant sin that further crippled our testimony, service, and personal growth. Such sin only robbed us of vision and power and blessing. The only one pleased with all that distraction and disability is the enemy.

I am so blessed that the past three years of my life have been spent in a church that does not operate that way. It's a large congregation with a lot of people, so there are certainly immature, carnal believers there and differences that would cause rifts. But our pastor makes a genuine effort to deal with known problems before they can infect the congregation. And we are always encouraged to seek out any sin in our own hearts as we come to the Table of the Supper. It has been such refreshment and relief not to have some crisis at every turn that does nothing but distract and divide God's people. This church body isn't perfect, but it is largely submitted to the LORD - and it's making an impact for the kingdom of God because of its unity.

The divisions in Corinth sound so much like divisions in our churches today. I am not aware of any divisions in our church--it is so large. But that doesn't mean there aren't any. People come & go, not happy with the type of music, or other trivial things. We are united, I believe, on the important issues in the church. We individually need to seek to be filled with the Holy Spirit to be able to deal with someone who does not feel/think the same way as ourselves individually. It's these little relational problems that escalate when not dealt with in a loving manner--seeking the best for the other person--accepting them as a fellow servant of the Lord. This is not to say we are to accept their sins. I've heard of persons who willingly choose to sin openly and I wish church discipline was active in our church.

Unity is VERY important to the church & it's spiritual growth. Bickering congregations need to let go of the unimportant differences--reconcile & choose to be united in the important issues!! Then they'll be ready to partake of communion the correct way!

Q3. In what ways do the divisions in Corinth sound familiar in our own congregations? Don't pick on another congregation; how about your own?

The prayer of Jesus is for unity, we know what the desire of Satan is - DIVISION. The Bible is full of wisdom on how to live one with another in the family of God. Psalm 133:1 Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!

God wants to bless His people, when we live together in unity, we will experience God's blessings. Unity is for the good of the people in this life and in the life to come. Israel rarely achieved the level of unity, nor the level of blessing that God would have given, nor does the church today. 1 Corinthians 12. Therefore, when one part of the body is blessed, the whole body should rejoice.

How serious was the need for unity?

Unity is evidence of God ruling in the church and in our lives. Satan is out to destroy the fellowship between brethren. Jesus knows the importance of unity between brethren, and the dangers that are ahead when there is division. This is why He prayed not only for those with Him, but for those who would believe later, that is you and me. That we would be one, WHY? so the world may believe that thou hast sent me. - John 17:21.

We believers are to be a people set apart from the world, we are to be the light to bring others into the Family of God.

Jesus I say "Amen" to your prayer, not just for me, but I pray it for the church body. We are living in a day of Self Indulgence, Self Centered philosophy, this is contrary to the plan God has for His people, and it will not bring unity into the body.

Can bickering congregations partake of the Lord's Supper without sin?

1Corinthians 11: 20-22 The Corinthian believers were taking their own supper ahead of others, violating the spirit and purpose of the meal, They showed contempt for the church of God and shamed those who had nothing, this is not unity. (V28) Let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread and drink of the cup (V29) For he who eats and drinks in an unworthy manner eats and drinks judgment to himself, not discerning the "Lord's Body"

Unworthy manner refers to the way in which a person eats the Lord's Supper. They were overeating and getting drunk rather than a time of relecting on the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Unity was not seen.

Yes, if the body of believers come to His table with hatred in their hearts, spreading division, walking in darkness, yes! he is bringing sin to the table. He is showing contempt also for the work done on the cross. The table is where we go to reflect on the Person who freed us from the strong hold of sin on our lives. We are not perfected, but our hearts are being touched, we are becoming a new person. It is this newness in Christ that allows us to linger in His presence, lounging around the table.

Keep on perfecting us, we want to have that unity you so desire for us.

Q3. In what ways do the divisions in Corinth sound familiar in our own congregations? Don't pick on another congregation; how about your own? How serious was the need for unity? Can bickering congregations partake of the Lord's Supper without sin?

There is a terrible lot of empire building going on within congregations. This causes divisions, pain. We have to teach loud and clear that leadership comes from recognition by elders and those who choose their leader as a mentor, not by self promotion and gathering supporters. We have to hold each other accountable where we see wrong attitudes. Sadly it sometimes costs us a member and we can feel guilty about that. Nevertheless,the Spirit of God is a pure spirit and we are accountable to each other and to God for holding to unity and purity. We may have differrences, but we have so much in common to build unity upon that there is no excuse. The true leader in Christ is a servant of his fellow man whom he serves by speaking the truth in love. Where there is division there is a clear path in scripture to follow. Not to do so may cost us the power of God in our meetings, the healing of the sick. We are told to worship in spirit and in truth, to walk in the works that God has prepared for us to walk in, (miracles). This requires unity in the Spirit. We listen too much to the wisdom of the current culture, that we should be tolerant. Where is this written in Scripture? No-where. We are to call sin "sin' and to eradicate "self-service" from amongst us. We are to prefer one another and honour our elders and leaders who must give account to God for their leadership. We need to be totally transparent. Whatever we have to hide is sin. Unity is paramount.

I think the world (and its spirit has infiltrated the churches) has got us cornered by saying that we are not to judge - quoting scripture against us and telling us that we are to accept all practices in "love". This is not love, as we are to "speak the Truth in love' and the truth deals with sin. We are not to judge in the sense of condemnation - that is for God on judgement day and praise His Name we don't have to do this. However, we are to recognise sin when we see it and discern manipulative spirits in church that would make us guilty over pointing it out/correcting the sinner to bring them back on the right path. The real question to those who bicker is "What are you doing to create peace and harmony?"

The need of unity is so serious that Jesus gave this a priority place as He prayed just before His betrayal, knowing that His hour had come and He was leaving them. ( John 17:21 NKJ). The living bricks of the temple of God must be well cemented together. We can't have them falling out!

Those who bicker and do not set things right before communion, and practice truth, love, service and unity, drink judgement (= condemnation) to themselves when they take communion. To take communion without doing the preparatory work of ensuring reconciliation wherever there is dissension in their own lives, are actually blaspheming the Holy Spirit. This amounts to mockery, and they need to be aware that God is not mocked! In addition to that they dramatically reduce the strength of the Holy Spirit within the church, which is why we have to deal directly with the bickering.

As has already been stated earlier 'There is nothing new under the sun'. Just as the Church in Corinth experienced so do the Churches in this day and age. In our Church we are still healing the divisions that threatened to tear our fellowship to shreds, where people became more interested in their own personal agenda rather than focussing on the Commission handed down to all believers, that of going out to all nations, baptising and spreading the Gospel. I remember during this time when one of the elders, in trying to emphasise that we should be following God, not some man-made document reached down to the shelf where the Bible should have been on the pulpit but found nothing there. His intended illustration was changed in that it emphasised just how far our Church had moved away from God, in more ways than mere conflict among the congregation.

Healing is a slow process, those who continue to ignore our true Commission must be weeded out, those who continue to sin must also be cast out but still given the option to repent and return to the fellowship. Repentance must be genuine though, and discipline has to be without preference, nobody no matter how long a member or how wealthy should be excluded from being disciplined if that is what is needed. Our Church is beginning now to show how well the healing is progressing. There is now true communion and acceptance of individual's differences in styles of worship, the important issue being that they recognise God as Our Father and Jesus as His Son and Our Lord and Saviour. Whether an individual feels led to raise his arms in worship, stand, kneel, whatever the Lord lays on his heart, is now accepted and not criticised by others. It's been a long journey but we are getting there as a united fellowship

There is no much difference with the division in the Church today compared to the Corinth Church. In my Local congregation , I always see people who are well off ( Rich ) , take little interest with the low class people (Poor).

There are at times when people move to a new place , they will go checking for a church which will suite their class , that is , which kind of cars poeple in that Church have and how big is Church , etc.

Few people will invite poor to have a meal in their homes .

May God help us to have that Unity which Jesus Christ Prayed for His disciples and for all believers , the night He was arrested .

Unfortunately, the sound is all too familiar. I have attended several churches over the years, the changes due primarily to area relocations, and each has offered communion with different schedules of regularity and seriousness. I was aware of areas of discontent, gossiping, competition, or doctrinal issues at one time or another in each of the churches. However, the stronger the church was to address these issues, the less they continued. And, I would have to say that these churches were also the ones which were more serious and regular in offering communion. Currently, my church offers communion every week. Each week a different family volunteers to present a brief concept that relates to the partaking of the Lord

Q3. In what ways do the divisions in Corinth sound familiar in our own congregations? Don't pick on another congregation; how about your own? How serious was the need for unity? Can bickering congregations partake of the Lord's Supper without sin?

The church is for sinners and how can you have a church for sinners without sin? It does not excuse our behaviors. We should remember that we are there to worship God. The church is the bride of Christ and should be treated with the highest respect. We should leave our pettiness outside the door. From the very moment we enter those doors we should feel the spirit of the Lord and look forward to fellowshipping and singing praises and worship to our Father. We should spend this time focused on loving God, on remembering what Christ has done for us. Instead we bring in our troubles and focus on how miserable we feel today, and how miserable we can make each other. We think that we aren't sinners but we concentrate on the sinner sitting next to us. The need in today's churches for unity is vitally important. I just hope in time they get it. I know that I can change who I am and enter the Lord's house with a loving heart. Because as I have learned from this bible study you should not take the Lord's Supper if you have strife in your heart. In taking the Lord's Supper you should maintain your allegiance to the Father and the Son. You should leave everything else outside. Your mind and heart should be clear to worshipping and praising and thanksgiving.

Cliques seem ever present as different individuals are at different levels of growth. Those with common agreements seem always to find fault with others with greater or lesser spiritual maturity. And yes, this is common in my congregation. The sin may not be as that of Corinth but, sin is sin.

The need for unity is of the utmost urgency. Without unity the church will eventually be doomed as congregants will leave in discord which we are seeing with the church as a worldwide body, in particular, the western world.

Without a repentant spirit we are not worthy to partake in the Lord's Supper. If we attempt to take communion while we are bickering we are in sin, unrepentent and unworthy.

Q3. In what ways do the divisions in Corinth sound familiar in our own congregations? Don't pick on another congregation; how about your own?

In all reality, and in every congregation we are going to see satan trying to divide congregations. He has done well. And what better place to work his demonic power? But God shared with Jeremiah a very important word.

Jeremiah 31:33-35 (King James Version)

33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

35 Thus saith the LORD, which giveth the sun for a light by day, and the ordinances of the moon and of the stars for a light by night, which divideth the sea when the waves thereof roar; The LORD of hosts is his name:

This is why congregations are folding up their tents because folks are waking up and knowing that they are filled with more than milk. They are filled with the power of the Holy Spirit who has begun to step up as we step up our pace in our own personal walk with The Lord. The Holy Spirit is doing His job of revealing the Word of God, like never before in History.

I know the church today is no different than the church at Corinth. I'm in agreement that we are all sinners and if our churches are really open door churches, then we will see many unsaved enter through those doors. This presents many problems because those yet unsaved are entering without wisdom or knowledge. They are seeking and are growing in small ways, but we cannot expect spiritual maturity in them when they arrive.

Then, you have to take into consideration the percentage of carnal Christians who are pew sitters, power seeking church goers who have bought into "religiousity' and that can add up to problems in the church.

I think here is where we step up in faith and say that God is at work in all things. We as Americans want the great American lie in our churches. Quick fixes, business agendas, programmed results and give it to me now please! We strive and strive as though God can't but we can!

In truth God's kingdom is everything NOT that. We can't "create" unity. We as true Christians need to know we ARE one. We need to stand on and teach the truth of what is in the Bible. We need to share our FAITH in what God tells us we are. We are not going to be perfect churches or individuals, but we do have the Holy Spirit who is going to do a great work in each one who is saved. To those being saved it will be the truth of the cross and the fruit of the Holy Spirit who is going to do the work and get the results. Not us!

Our job is to seek the kingdom of God (and it will all be added unto us) and to Love God above all else and love our neighbor as ourselves! The Christian call is a call to humbleness and servanthood.

Sure, we will be called to address areas of habitual sin and injustice and that is very difficult when dealing with hardheartedness but even in those most difficult times, I believe God is at work and we can trust Him to work for the benefit of everyone who is His. When that is resolved, we restore in love. Any discipline should be to gather the lost one back into the fold!

If every Christian could believe in the validity of who they are in Christ, every turn, trial and temptation can be overcome in a Christian way. We can stop "attempting to create" and just "be." We could accept others and allow them to learn and grow and come to trust in HIM and not in our ways. We could forgive and keep walking together because we would truly know ourselves and be aware of all we have been and are daily forgiven of ourselves. So who could stand to condemn another? Correct...yes...but not condemn. Lead and guide but not criticize at every turn.

I truly believe I'm in a good church. I'm not in a perfect church, but I'm in a church with leadership seeking after God's own heart. We fail sometimes, we fall, we cry, we seek and we forgive. We have our problems, but I've seen the Holy Spirit correct and restore so many times. I've seen most everyone listen to Him too! We have our stubborn spots and our opinions and we have to deal with satan's outright evil, but that is a SPIRITUAL battle, not a human one. I've seen even the worst of that dealt with in love and compassion. I've seen firmness and strict discipline but I've seen restoration in love. We pray and pray and pray and then we pray some more. Sometimes it seems hopeless, but then we stand and we grow...reaching for the higher calling. In faith....because God never fails.

If we keep encouraging each other to stand firm and to share our wisdom and knowledge of our mighty God and how to keep connected to HIM at all cost...then we ARE unified in Him....and amazing things happen! If we concentrate on picking each other up when another fails and we know repenting and standing in the light are GOOD things....then we cast out fear...to see and know the goodness of God. We can see each other as sinners...now saved in need of each other. Not to judge, but to love and accept and never give up on!

Is it difficult? YeS...it takes discipline...to know and apply the Word...but we CAN!

I love the church...with all our foibles, but more important...I KNOW God and that encompasses, much, much more and there is nothing that will ever destroy us!

I have never been a part of a congregation that didn't resemble the Corinthian church...including the present. In meetings our chief Elder is always reminding us elders of this and our need to guide the "Corinthians"(our congregation) through Christ's love and forgiveness. The church, being a living organism, is always in need of adjusting course toward unity. Where there is division there is persecution. "Can bickering congregations partake of the Lord's Supper without sin?" No. But we all do. "I thank God--through Jesus Christ our Lord" for His forgiveness (which is in no way license). For even on my best day I'm not worthy of what the Lord's Supper represents.

When human behavior is observed, it becomes clear that the nature of man has not changed over the course of time; for what obtained then, obtains now. The descriptions of the divisions in Corinth at the time are equally descriptive of my church. It is truly amazing the petty issues that cause division and the lengths that some will go to make what they consider their

This is so close to my heart because our church has gone thru dramatic changes. I wont go thru the whole history but after 5 years, 2 pastors, we've gone from 70 people to 12.

Now, I agree with someone I heard that I would rather be part of a church an inch wide and a mile deep than one a mile wide and an inch thick. We also tell new people who do come in that if they are looking for a perfect church they wont find it here.

But people wantedto carry on with open sins in their lives and be involved in leadership but thank God our last pastor stood against that and when these people left so did a lot of other people.

I totally agree with what Helenmn referred to as the 'world' has infiltrated the church and told "we are to love one another"! Yes we are called to do that but we need to help direct people off the wide path back onto the narrow path and that is by pointing out sins in their life in a non judgmental way. As 1Cor. 5:12, states we are to expell the wicked amongst us, the leaders in the church need to discern/and judge those inside the church IN A LOVING WAY.

Our church is in rebuilding mode, alot of healing needs to be done and that is going to be with the help of Jesus Christ.

A very good question set by Eudora, 'Does the Spirit of God reside in a bickering church"?

There are divisions in my church with the failt line being between those who wish to follow strictly the teaching of the Bible - the Word of God - and those who want to make accommodations to the 21st. century, as they put it. I think these are irreconcileable differences. I believe a strict interpretation of the Bible is essential and that the teaching of Christianity is timeless and for all time until the Second Coming. All sorts of insidious ideas are being promoted which are unBiblical and to my belief false and dangerous, because they serve to undermine God's Word and to turn believers away from God and towards the devil. There are so many issues: such as women priests or pastors, homosexuality and same sex unions, the introduction of secular music in the guise of hymns, the theory evolution and so-called science which challenges the truth God's creation of everything in six days. I don't think any church should countenance such ideas and those who espouse them should not be made welcome since they are not true belivers. Without strict adherence to God's Word unity and correct teaching is not possible. Jesus and His apostles recognised from the outset how dangerous false teachers were and they are as dangerous now as they were then. Paul also writes about the sinfulness of dissention, malice, foolish talk, gossiping, lies and slander. This is another potent cause of bickering. Dissention is an evil which must be rooted out. A church which is riven with dissention is dysfunctional and its members cannot properly partake of the Lord's Supper.

The divisisions in the Corinthinan Church do sound similar in our Church as regards the areas of gossip and

back biting. These are major unity breakers in our Church. In some cases, there are some elements of tribalism; although not very serious.

In the case of gossips and misunderstanding one another, it could be very serious as there was an instance about a month ago when an Elder wanted to leave our Church for another one just because such.

A bickering congregation that does not reconcile with one another CAN NOT partake of the Lord's Supper without sin. In our Church, the Pastor always pause and ask for comfession of sins before the Lord's Supper.

In fact I now believe that the Pastor should ask for reconciliation between aggrieved members before particpation in the Lord's Suppe.

:ph34r: I wouldn't say we have perfect unity in the church I currently attend, but I can't really think of any major divisions or rifts among members either. I mean there has been disagreements,not over scriptural doctrine or church policy, but traditional vs contemporary.

We're one of the few churches in the area which still sings the traditional hymms. A few years ago, we got an assistant/youth pastor who introduced some of the more contemporary worship songs into the morning service. Alot of the old timers weren't too happy about it, but the majority of the congregation seemed to enjoy the addition of the new music. Of course, we still continue to do the hymms as well, and I can't think of any members that just upped and left because they didn't like the type of music that was used.

One incident that could of resulted in a serious division in the church, was the time a name change was considered. A special meeting was held so that church members could talk it over and decide if the name of the church should be changed or not. There was such outrage from those who wanted the church name to remain what it was. Some members even threatened to renounce their memberships and take their families to another church if the name was changed. The bottomline was just a handfull of people thought the church name should be changed. So basically the members voted to keep the current name. The ironic thing is, those members who were the most vocal about keeping the present church name, have long since left the church for various reasons.

Can bickering congregations partake of the Lord's Supper without sin?

I would say no, they cannot. Members of these congregations need to settle their differences and be reconciled to one another before being allowed to partake of communion.

• 2 weeks later...

I think all areas of divisions in Corinth (allegiance to leaders, moral issues, religious syncretism, disputes between members, class distinctions, spiritual gifts, doctrinal disputes) are also present in our own congregations, but in different scale or degree and type for each area in each our congregations.

My own congregation is always tempted to pick on another congregation. Reversely, other congregations are always tempted to pick on my own congregation. I think these happen because each congregation feels that their doctrine, teaching, and service are better than others have

I think the need for unity is very serious because first, to be unity and to love one another is a command from Jesus. Second, without unity and mutual love the world will not know that we are His disciple and not believe that God have sent us.

I think bickering congregations cannot partake of the Lord

• 4 weeks later...

In what ways do the divisions in Corinth sound familiar in our own congregations? Don't pick on another congregation; how about your own? How serious was the need for unity? Can bickering congregations partake of the Lord's Supper without sin?

I must say <_< I have to be carefull with this answer. Bickering congregations and I have not been

in a church that does not have bickering once in a while. It is up to the members if they can partake

of the Lords supper without sin and really it is up to each individual in that church.

If they come together and stop the bickering and forgive each other in their hearts and with words of

assurance to the others with whom they are bickering they could. But if the bickering is still going on

no I do not believe that they can celebrate the Lords supper without sin. there must be forgiveness

and unity before such an event can happen.

So Guess my answer is no.... as long as there is bickering and disunity. :(

Overall our church is unified, however, there are some matters I have problems with. For one, we have a believer who married a non-believer and according to Scripture we're not to be unequally yoked and no one seemed to have a problem with it. On the other hand, I can't cast a stone because I must first remove the plank from my own eye (I still smoke cigarettes). If congregations are at eachother they're not getting the point. They're still infants when they should be eating meat (as Paul said). They must grow in Christ and forgive others and always strive for peace.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, what a question but a very good one. There is so much disunity in the churches of today. There are many congregations that Pastor's feel they are "yahweh". Instead of staying within the confines of the "House of God", they get involved with politics, boycots, etc places that I personally feel the church does not belong unless they are specifically affected. I liv on the "Buckle" of the Bible Belt of the United States and there is so much movement in the churches. There are people joining churches but there are more leaving churches.

I have spoken to many parishoners from various churches in the area and they will give you a number of registered members, regular members of thier congregations. Many registered members co0nsist of people who havent attended in some years.

Disunity is all around us. EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!! Disunity in the churches today is first hand evidence that Satan is working very hard.

The Bible verse 1 Corinthians 10:16-17 says it all:

"Is not the cup of thanksgiving for which we give thanks a participation in the blood of Christ? And is not the bread that we break a participation in the body of Christ? Because there is one loaf, we, who are many, are one body, for we all partake of the one loaf."

• 2 months later...

In theory we should all be one, one church, one faith, one Lord, but because the church is made up of fallen humanity there we always be disunity and bickering. I myself have been a member of a church that consisted of a clique of people and showed lots of disunity. They were very unhappy with the new priest when he took over and caused a lot of bad feeling, the result was that I had to leave. Considering that it was my first church after just becoming a christian, it could have had a detrimental effect on me. But I was able to rise above it and find happiness elsewhere! At the end of the day it is not about doctrinal accuracy, it is about ''LOVE''. In John 13:34 Jesus gives us the command on which the whole of christianity is based, He tells us to love one another, as He has loved us. Regardless of tradition, nationality and denomination we must love as He loved us. His love for us was so immense that He died the most horrendous death known to humanity, as any one who has seen Mel Gibson's The Passion Of The Christ will know.

Just as the line from a hymn goes, ''Love is his word, love is his way'' let us make those our words, engrave them on our hearts and spread His love to all our brothers and sisters in Christ. Let us ''LOVE CHRIST and LIVE CHRIST''!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, there is bickering today within indiviual congregations and among denominations, just like the divisions in Corinth. If these people were giving all of what they had to the church to be distributed among the members, so that none did without, unity was very necessary. Also, if the "one" church was to grow, unity among the believers was very necessary. Sadly, then as today, we rationalize this bickering, therefore, it is not perceived as sin. Sometimes, church can be a very uninviting place.