JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. The Worldwide Church of Christ

Q4. (1 Corinthians 10:17) How does Paul's teaching on the One Loaf affect our relationships and love for those of other Christian denominations and traditions? How does blanket judgmentalism towards the faith of other Christian groups sometimes seem to excuse us from Jesus' command to love one another?

• 3 weeks later...

As long a person is a participant in the blood and body of Christ (1 Cor. 10:16), that person is a member of the same Body as every other believer (vs.17). Traditions and denominational (not doctrinal) differences can be no excuse for a lack of unity on this most basic principle. To be so narrowly defined is to become blinded to people as individuals. We tend to get arrogant about being right, which leads us to slight/reject others who think differently. We tend to get hard-edged, which paralyzes our ability to love. We tend to forget that all believers are brothers and sisters of the same Father, which makes us distant and hurtful and offensive. Being so off-track makes us ineffective, even a hindrance, for the Kingdom work assigned to us. Into our care, Jesus entrusted His ministry of salvation and hope to persons, not a mission to guard some banner of personal denominational preferences.

There is only One who is capable of accurate judgment of the hearts and beliefs and intentions of people. At the appropriate time, the verdict will be given. Right now is the time of grace and salvation, not judgment (John 3:17). Believers are called to be discerning, but not to pass sentences. Our job is to live love, which is the evidence of our faith in Christ (1 John 3:23-24). We need to do our best to develop relationships with people that can open the door for the Gospel. We might be the only opportunity someone (even someone involved in another Christian denomination) has to hear the genuine Truth and experience unconditional Love. Lack of unity only speaks hypocrisy and, at the core, unbelief.

How does Paul's teaching on the One Loaf affect our relationships and love for those of other Christian denominations and traditions?

All people that believe in the Christ of the bible are of one body.

There are really only two commandments in the bible

1 Love your God

2 Love your neighbor

How does blanket judgmentalism towards the faith of other Christian groups sometimes seem to excuse us from Jesus' command to love one another?

Just because people are in a religious system that is not of Christ does not give us the right to not love them. We do not need to approve of the there faith to love the person.

That unity should exist between congregations if they believe that Jesus is God, Who became man to come to earth to die for our sins and that He rose again the 3rd day. Often it is uncomfortable to be in another church when customs in that particular congregation are very different than ours. I pray that I will become much less judgmental & more loving toward other believers. In traveling, I meet so many different people & I can sense the Holy Spirit drawing us together. We talk & share, as though we have known each other for a long time! That will be like heaven, huh?

Q4. (1 Corinthians 10:17) How does Paul's teaching on the One Loaf affect our relationships and love for those of other Christian denominations and traditions?

The "One Loaf" that ties the Gentile's together is the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. It is by His work that we are one family unto the God of Israel. It isn't our doctirne, nor is it the traditions of men. Love is the foundation of our Salvation, for Christ is "Love" --- Hatred is the foundation of Satan. I think of the hatred that has killed many christians, hatred is the root that is behind Anti-Semitism. It started in the heart of man when the greatest Rabbi af all was put upon the Cross.

John Paul 11"s work was to reconcile the Roman Catholic Church with its anti-Semitic past, memorializing the Holocaust, and officially recognizing the State of Israel. He proclaimed the first Sunday in Lent, March 12, to be the "Day of Pardon." This is love in action. How can we love our neighbor if we have this hatred in our hearts? I remember Jesus words - Matt. 25:40 "Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me" Jesus reference to "My brethren" was a reference to the Jewish people, not some Christian denomination.

I have seen many unscriptual beliefs being spoken in our churches as if they are truths, and if you do not agree with them you are called a bigot, you are said "not to love". My first love goes up to God, my allegiance is to Him. Yes, we must love others, but remember, God tells us to speak the truth to them, or we will be held accountable to God.

I have grown to love the Holy Communion Table even more after going through this study, and the challenge of the heart to answer the thought provoking questions. Thank you so very much.

I have had opportunities to worship with Christians from different cultures and denominations. I have listened to pastors from Africa, Australia, India, South America and European countries. I have hosted many of them in my home. We may not always agree doctrinally on some practices, but there is a witness in my spirit of their love of Christ and Christ crucified. We find our common ground and begin sharing of God

The breaking of pieces of bread from the one loaf during the Lord's Supper symbolises that we are each part of the one Body, the Body of Jesus Christ. However, this does not mean that we are all alike, except that we are made in the image of God, we maintain our individual differences, we are led to worship in our own ways. As long as we remain firmly connected to the Body of Christ we are lifted above the realm of Satan.

For this reason we must not discriminate against those who, while fully believing in the Bible as the Word of God, worship in different ways. Some may choose to clap their hands, lift their hands in praise, kneel, God accepts all forms of worship and it is not for we mere mortals to decide what is acceptable or not acceptable to Him; He alone is equipped to Judge, for He is the One who knows our hearts.

Q4. (1 Corinthians 10:17) How does Paul's teaching on the One Loaf affect our relationships and love for those of other Christian denominations and traditions? How does blanket judgmentalism towards the faith of other Christian groups sometimes seem to excuse us from Jesus' command to love one another?

God's basic Spiritual Law is that we are to LOVE GOD WITH ALL OUR HEARTS , MINDS AND SOULS, AND TO LOVE OTHERS AS OURSELVES, AND TO LOVE OURSELVES ALSO FOLLOWS....

If we truly love God, and others, judgment will not enter into our relationships of loving others due to their different ways of worship or believing or traditions. If we want to be accepted and loved as we are and not because we believe a certain way, we must respect this in others, and love them as they are without judging their ways or beliefs. We all grow spiritually in different degrees and our understanding of God's Words is not the same, and God is the Judge of our hearts and abilities and minds, not us. A person's faith and beliefs are unique because of their background and culture, and the truth in each heart is only known by God. If another is in error of the basic gospel, we as their brothers and sisters in Christ are told to help our "weaker" Christians, but only to edify their faith, not tear it down.

Some people consider those not in their own denomination or those who do not totally conform to their own beliefs to not be true Christians, and therefore do not HAVE TO LOVE THEM, or even respect them in their "unbelief". Predjudice is easily discerned by the words they speak of others and their attitudes toward them. Personally I feel God's remnant is probably inside almost all denominations, and perhaps this remnant is just not readied yet to move on higher. In my own life, I have moved from other denominations as my spiritual understanding grew and knew what the Bible's "doctrine" is, and God seems to be able to feed my spirit wherever I am in life daily.

The Lord has taught us that the second commandment is to love our neighbors as ourself so regardless as to whether it concerns another denomination or a non-believer, it should not be an issue. Our homeless shelter often brings people to the Lord's Supper, from all walks of life. If they are willing to be repentant and want to partake, so be it.

I for one have learned not to question a persons faith as we will all appear before the judgement seat of God and give an account of ourselves. And, I love without dissimulation yet, I am cautious whom I fellowship with when it comes to doctrine and it's interpretation. The Apostle of Love, as John has been call wrote in 2 John about such an issue in verses 9-11. It does not however excuse us from loving one another, as God is love.

If we Christians are to go on well to spread the Gospel of Our Lord Jesus Christ , we should avoid comparing ourselves with other believers or other denominations.

Non-believers should see our unity if we are to win them to Christ . Action speaks more than words .

Paul's teaching on the One Loaf should produce love in our relationships with all of God's people. If we are truly followers of Christ then we must love one another as he loves us. He demonstrates this love to the disciples and told them to do as he has taught them to do. We are to also follow this example of love for we are all God's children. God is the one and only true and righteous judge. That is why we should not try judging one another for God is the only one who can see all things, who knows all circumstances. We only know what is put in front of us. For we should hate the sin but we should always love the sinner. For we are all sinners. Romans 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Sorry...I think I answered most of this question in question #3's reply, but I want to say that the visual of that one loaf really opened my eyes to see a truth I was missing before. As simple as it seems now, I was always trying to see the church as "many" under one God, instead of as "one" with one God ...but many individuals. It is so important to KNOW we are one!

Thanks for this lesson! My heart is the church and I have been given a multiude of new ways to pray!

Again...very good questions. I have long considered myself an ecumenist. I preach and teach Ephesians 4:2-6 often. When others find common ground with me at the foot of the cross of Calvary I can call them "brother". The evil one loves to use each of us in the Body of Christ to persecute the church from within. How long should we allow him to use us personally to this end? It really does begin and end with the man, or woman, in the mirror.

We should consider the Body of Christ of not only being those who share the denominational or doctrinal beliefs as ourselves; but rather all of those who embrace Christ as head of their church.

The body of Christ must seek to be tolerant and appreciative of the form of worship of other believers, for who knows what the heart of God feels for anyone

Q4. (1 Corinthians 10:17) How does Paul's teaching on the One Loaf affect our relationships and love for those of other Christian denominations and traditions? How does blanket judgmentalism towards the faith of

other Christian groups sometimes seem to excuse us from Jesus' command to love one another?

Thank God for this study, the questions have been really challenging and opening my eyes up to new revelation.

We are One Loaf, we all worship and love the same God, (unfortunately there are some that take only one portion of scripture and build a denomination around that. We are to take all scripture together in context.)

But has some have already shared, there are no denominations in heaven as it is man made (denomination that is)

So God will sort that out we are to see each other through God's eyes and love and respect those of other traditions but to also be wary of false teachings and false teachers hence we are in the last days.

Q4. (1 Corinthians 10:17) How does Paul's teaching on the One Loaf affect our relationships and love for those of other Christian denominations and traditions?

Paul appears to be thinking in terms of one body only. (we who are many are one body) I don't think Paul could think of the body as being divided. He, like us, should not ever confuse the church body, with that of the organizational body. We as one body, should be united and not divided into different denominations. There should be no such thing as this doctrine or that doctrine.

The body of believers in Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, are that one body. The body of believers. We did not need to separate into Nazarenes, Baptists, Catholics, etc. For we all partake of the One Bread, because there is One Bread. It is us who has alienated ourselves from being one complete loaf under God, by our denominations.

Is this spiritual pride when we think we who attend this church or that church are better or following closer than this or that church? This is the way the Jewish folks believed because of their national heritage and their ceremonies. But Paul soon pointed out to them and let them know that Jews and Gentiles were no different in Gods eyes. God is no respecter of persons and Paul knew this.

In reality, we all just need to remember that we are all un-clean until we accept Jesus Christ as our Savior and repent and turn from iniquity. He is the only one who can cleanse us , by His blood. Once we become one of the many, and become one part of the many, who is one in Him, we will be separated into these denominations that keep us separated.

Before Jesus Christ was born, Jews and Gentiles kept separated from each other. Kinda like the mind set of believers who think themselves better than others. Jews considered Gentiles un-savable. Do we think like the Jews? The Jews didn't think there was any hope at all for Gentiles. Do we think this way of other folks in other congregations? This is kinda like our thinking now-a days. When Christ came, He revealed the complete sinfulness of both the Jew and the Gentile and offered salvation to both. Jesus is the one who will reconcile all believers into the one body, in His time. He will unite the body of Christ.

How does blanket judgmentalism towards the faith of other Christian groups sometimes seem to excuse us from Jesus' command to love one another?

There is no excuse.

John 15:12

This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

He never said, love one another if you want to. He never said, Judge those who belong to different denominations and look away from them because they do. He never said, love one another only in your congregation and no one else unless they have the same doctrine and beliefs.

He loves us and it is in this way that we are commanded to love others. Exactly the same and no different. He is the only one who truly knows our hearts.

God saved us by His special favor when we believed and repented from sin. We can't take credit for this; it is a gift from God. Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it.

If we are a member of this church or that one, we are all still God's masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so that we can do the good things He planned for us long ago.

Christ Himself, made peace between the Jews and Gentiles by making them all one people. He had broken down the wall of hostility that used to separate them. By His death He ended the whole system of Jewish law, that excluded the Gentiles.

Please do not misunderstand me. Jesus never changed the law or disregarded it. Nor did He end it. He only ended their system of thinking that the Gentiles were excluded.

Matthew 5:17-18

"Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled."

His death only broke down the walls of hostility that had kept them separated in the past.

His purpose was to make peace between Jews and Gentiles by creating in Himself one new person from the two groups. Together as one body, Christ reconciled both groups to God by means of His death, and their hostility toward each other was put to death. Now we can enjoy the law and the Holy Spirit.

He brought this Good News of peace to the Gentiles who had not known of Him and to The Jews, who knew of Him.

It is because of His death that we too, are all one and He is the only one who knows when we will again be united. My personal thought is that we will someday be united in spirit by the power of the Holy Spirit, because of this Gift that Jesus Christ left behind to live inside of all of those who believe and are His bride.

This is a very difficult issue. As Christians we must make every effort to seek the truth and to follow the teaching of Jesus and His apostles strictly as it is the truth. When belief deviates from this, we cannot condone it. Paul certaily does not. Peter is positively damning of false teachers. There are many things on which we cannot agree. Compromise undermines belief. However, so much of other denominations is common to all of us: why, because it comes from the New Testament which on so many matters leaves little room for different interpretations. For example, I was surprised how familiar the Pope's encyclical "Deus est caritas" was. Apart from references to Mary, it could have been written by an evangelical Christian. It was entirely Bible based. The central theme is God's love which is at the heart of our belief and the teaching of Jesus. Therefore, I think while not moving away from the Biblical truth we should look at the similarities with other Christians and not the differences. I think we woiuld be surprised how much common ground there is. We should also, as with unbelievers, love everyone. Doctrinal differences are not an excuse to cease loving one another.

I believe that we need biblical love for each other as believers in the Lord Jesus Christ which goes beyond Christian denominations and traditions, but this biblical love is also set under the guidelines of the Holy Bible and does not include those who don

All Christians are supposed to be united and remained as one body with the Loard being the Head of the body. Just as one loaf is served for many in unity, the different denominations should be able understand, appreciate and tollerate the different doctrines of each denomination.

Blanket judment against a particular faith is not right. Love should make us to accept one another. We should live lives that are Christ-like and such that will attract others to our faith rather judgementalism.

How does Paul's teaching on the One Loaf affect our relationships and love for those of other Christian denominations and traditions?

No matter what our church background, we are all a part of the body of Christ.

• 2 weeks later...

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

I feel that it affects our relationship with other denominations the same as with each other in one church! When we share the one loaf we are to be in unity or in right relationship with

others. Even if we don't agree with everything another church believes we can " agree to disagree " with

them and we know that as long as they are basically christian and Love Jesus we must love them and we

do not carry hard or hatred twords them. We must love them as Jesus loves them and hope they some day

see things diffrently in the theological or other diffrence we have is not important to love

I will go even further to like mormon or other faith's that we do not share. We can disagree and even hate

what they teach or believe but God wants us to love them as persons. We don't have to fellowship with them

but do have to treat them with love and respect as persons. When we have to rub sholders with them in public and in work etc.... God made them and we need to loveingly respect them. God will not tolerate us

coming to his table and celebrating with hate or anger in our hearts against anyone. We disagree with what

they stand for but need to love and pray for them that someday they will come to the truth.

We're supposed to be accepting of all believers. Uh-oh, call me guilty! If I tear down a denomination I'm not acting like a true Christian. I'm judging. I should act in a more loving way. I have more growing to do. I see that I sometimes use the bible to point out other people's and denomination's faults when the bible was meant to point out my faults to me. Again with the plank. Excuse me, I must find a crew to remove this one.

• 2 months later...

''That all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and Iam in you.'' John 17:21

This is how I wish it could be and I'm sure Christ would too. If Jesus were to come to earth today, I'm sure He wouldn't care about a person being protestant, catholic or orthodox. His main concern would be that we are loving our brothers and sisters and helping them to the best of our abilities. Denominations and doctrines are all ''man made,'' they are not something that Christ instituted; our love for one another should go beyond that. One loaf, one body, one church, one Lord; this is how it should be!

• 2 weeks later...

We are called to love all, that includes those from "other" Christian denominations. However, sometimes Satan uses our differences to instill fear and hatred toward others who have different interpretations of Scripture. Sometimes it is necessary to agree that we don't agree and go in peace to love and serve the Lord.