JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

In John 6:51, Jesus was referring to Himself as the Bread of Life given through His physical body. His flesh would be offered in sacrifice so that His blood might be voluntarily shed for the atonement and forgiveness of the sins of the world. And anyone who believes this is the truth (eats of this Living Bread) will receive eternal life with Yahweh.

John 1:14 says "the Word became flesh and dwelt among us". So Christ in the flesh is ultimately the very Word of God. He referred to Himself as the Living Bread, which was going to be broken to fully release to us the promises and power of the Living Word that brings spiritual life. It is that Word that brings life into our spirits and our faith. And so it is that Word that we must devour and believe in order to receive everlasting spiritual life. When you receive Christ into your heart and mind and soul as the Way to God, the Truth of God, and the Life in God, you enter into that life eternal. You must first believe Him before you would receive Him, or take Him in as the Living Bread.

Seems to me that this is an equivalent statement to the one He made to the disciples when He broke the Passover bread and said that it represented His body given for them/us.

In its profound simplicity, this is a really complex question that I had a hard time shaping an answer for. The more I ponder it, the deeper it goes. As I follow my train of thought, I hope it isn't making me ramble.

Q2. (John 6:51b) What is Jesus referring to when he says, "This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world"? What similarities do you see with Jesus' teaching at the Last Supper in Luke 22:19b?

If anyone eats this bread he will live for ever, and tghe bread that I shall give is My flesh, which I shall give for the life of the world.

This is my body which is given for you: do this in remembrance of Me.

Jesus' flesh was actually conceived of the Holy Spirit! He is actually talking about our new birth of that Spirit of God that was choked out of man when Adam and Eve sinned, and man died. We need the "DNA" that Adam and Eve originally had, which is available to us through the fact that Jesus took human flesh and was conceived by that Spirit, and overcame satan. We can partake of that same spirit that gave conception to Him - we can eat of His flesh! He came tspecifically to give His Spirit concieved flesh, to take back the dominion (birthright) that Adam lost. Satan could only be overcome on earth by another unblemished man. That man was Jesus, and satan could not take life from Him as he had from Adam and the rest of us, introducing death into the world. That Spirit must be united to our flesh as it was to Jesus' flesh. That is why Jesus said "I am the bread of Life. If anyone eats this bread he will live forever....".

The similarity is that Jesus would give His flesh, His body, for the life of the world, for us. We are to live in remembrance, awareness and appreciation of this gift at all times, and by regularly taking communion together, because the bride (who becomes one with Jesus) is made up of all of us.

Q2. (John 6:51b) What is Jesus referring to when He says, "This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world"?

Jesus gave His physical body in exchange for our flesh. He gave us life in doing so. Flesh and blood can not enter the Kingdom.

1 Corinthians 15:50

Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

Jesus showed us the way.

John 1:13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

When we are reborn, this as we all know, is not a physical birth resulting from human passion or plan. This rebirth is of God, through His Son, Jesus Christ. This is all done by our faith that His Word when presented to us, is truth and we accept His Word as truth in our lives.

These temporal bodies are perishable and are that which is decaying. Our ears can go deaf and we might not hear what the spirit is saying to the church body. Our eyes may become blind and we might not see a new way to live. We may become lame and not be able to walk in the spirit, but this would only happen if we quench the spirit and do not continually feed on The Word of God, written in Holy scripture and spoken in our spiritual ear and soul and commune with the Spirit that is with-in. The flesh will die. Jesus showed us that.

In Acts 1: 9-11 And when He had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight. And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel; Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven. (KJV)

When all the folks were standing around watching Him descend into the heavens, Jesus was again showing us an example of what is going to happen to us as well. It is in this like manner that He will return, the same as when He ascended, is how we will all see Him return if we are in physical body at that time.

He gave His flesh so that all the world would be able to live in this like manner, a spiritual manner that will last forever in a paradise, with no time.

What similarities do you see with Jesus' teaching at the Last Supper in Luke 22:19b?

Just like He blessed the bread, we too are blessed; by Him. When Jesus broke the bread, this was a foretaste of us being broken from our birth flesh to the renewed life that is broken away, peel by peel, layer by layer by the power of the Holy Spirit which guides us to the shedding of sin from our lives. We are all born snakes in that reflection.

Perhaps this is the reason why satan is revealed as the serpent in the opening of the Genesis. All our sin is forgiven, but it is the nature of man to sin because we are born in sin. Once we have been born out of sin nature into life everlasting, we are to go and sin no more. It is the guiding of the Holy Spirit as we submit our self to Him that we are lead into this new life of eternalness with Our Father, who will receive us, in due time.

When Jesus says:

Paul's teachings on the 'One Loaf' do not ignore the fact that each member of the Body has his own unique traits and gifts. When differences such as this are acknowledged it is unrealistic and unbiblical to expect that there should be universal agreement and no disputes ever. What I believe it means is that no one person's opinion is superior to another's, that there is more than one way to achieve the same aim and each member must be respected for his/her opinion. This of course does not mean that the Body tries to incorporate all opinions into a statement of mission, that would be ludicrous and totally unworkable, but with mutual love, acceptance and respect we discuss and meld our ideals and relationships into a form that is sanctionned by God and where the body as a unit can do the work that we were commissioned to do, that is to go out and spread the Gospel, baptising all nations and sharing Christ's love.

To properly prepare for partaking in the Lord's Supper we are each responsible for shedding any hostility, or bitterness towards a fellow member, whether real or imagined, forgiving each other as well as ourselves and leaving it at the foot of the Cross. Only when all members can be united with the aim of achieving their commission can the Body be truly a unit. We must forget differences that do not really matter in God's bigger picture, and abandon trying to find fault with the work of another. I tend to think of what would happen if the crumbs in the centre of the loaf were to suddenly decide that they were tired of their position and desired to be the crust instead. If they were suddenly able to relocate themselves to the outside of the loaf, the original crust would have little support, and the crumbs that aspired to be the crust (and give the same protection to the loaf such as holding its form) would lack the ability to bind themselves together to provide the cohesiveness to keep the loaf together. Neither is more important than the other, but each has its own purpose and place.

As our Redeemer, Jesus offered Himself in our place as the atoning sacrifice for our sins consequently, His body is the "bread" given for the world so that we may escape the death of sin.

In Luke 22:19b Jesus has us to eat the broken bread as a remembrance of His body, broken for us in sacrifice, to save us from our sins. The similarities in the two scriptures are not coincidental as our Lord knew exactly what His destiny would be and why He came here, to die and rise the third day,because of His great love for us.

Q2. (John 6:51b) What is Jesus referring to when he says, "This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world"?

He told them that the bread meant his flesh, (his life), which he was about to give up; to save the life of the world. His death was to be a sacrifice and atonement for the sin of the world; and that, as no human life could be preserved unless there was bread (proper nourishment) received.

What similarities do you see with Jesus' teaching at the Last Supper in Luke 22:19b?

In Luke 22:19 Jesus is giving His last commandment, this bread is My flesh given for you. Here it is for each individual that will believe, will eat, do it in REMEMBRANCE of Me. This is that nourishment Christ was speaking of in John 6:51. As each individual partakes of this Bread from all around the world, we are eating of the same loaf and drinking of the same cup. We may never agree on all points of doctrine, but at the Lord's table we are united, for the Cross united those who ate of the "Bread" together. I believe as I partake that I am being filled, His blood is washing me. Christ said, "Do this." --- Remembering that it is Christ Himself, He is the nourishment of my soul, He is the "Living Bread" and He has given me life, for He lives in me. Thank you Lord for all you have done and are doing in my life.

Here Jesus is reffering to the Gift of His Body as Life to the World.

Bread of Life is similar in both passages.

Q2. (John 6:51b) What is Jesus referring to when he says, "This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world"? What similarities do you see with Jesus' teaching at the Last Supper in Luke 22:19b?

Jesus is referring to the sacrifice He is going to make with His body. The perfect sinless sacrificial offering through which sinful man will be forgiven His sins and through which he will gain eternal life; that is the life of the world which Jesus promises. I think the Words of Institution refer to exactly the same matter: Jesus's body given for us. His body, His sacrifice, is our salvation. It is the greatest gift ever given and each of us can share in it. In the Words of Institution Jesus goes further and institutes a remembrance of His sacrifice so that it is regularly renewed in us and draws us closer to Him.

"THIS BREAD IS MY FLESH", in which Jesus refers to means that He (Jesus) will give his life for the life of the world. He will suffer and give his own life for the world. He will acquire the sins of man, so that man can be forgiven. If you believe in this you will have eternal life. The word bread means his body, his flesh, which he paid a tremendous price to save us (the world) from our sins. In the teaching of Luke if one is a true believer you can see the simularities in what Jesus says and what Luke writes. In Luke it tells you of how Jesus body became broken and how he gave his body for you (the world).

Jesus is referring to His own body & the sacrifice it would be for all mankind. He wants us to always keep this fresh in our minds.

It is very similar to the Last Supper account, excepting Jesus spoke as though it had already been accomplished so the disciples would be more prepared for what was to come.

Bread is the source physical nourishment. Jesus is the Bread of Life. This means believing Him and having faith in Him. This leads to spiritual nourishment and eternal life. He refered to the bread as His flesh because He would give up Hismself to be sacrificed for the salvation of all. Thus by believing and having faith in Him, the wolrd would have life.

The similarities in the two passages- Luke 22.19b and John 6.51b are found in these words / phrases: my body (flesh); give (given); for yuo (for the life of the world)

Jesus is referring to the fact that is body will be given as a sacriface upon the cross, so that those who believe might have eternal life. The "flesh" is His physical body and "the life of the world" refers to eternal life.

In Luke 22:19b, just as Jesus took the bread and broke it, in the same way His body would be broken on the cross.

Jesus was referring to his own body which was going to sacrificed for the sins of all people. Following this, anyone who believes in him and lives according to his teachings would be granted spiritual life forevermore.

The similarity is absolute. I see no difference in the two, for both scriptures speak to Jesus

Jesus is referring to His broken body which he gave voluntarily for the whole world.

The similarities are body/bread, given/which I will give, you/for the world.

His broken body, the breaking of the bread

Which He has given freely, we take freely/ participate in.

For us, not just us, but for everyone in the world

Between the two passages, I see that this bread is my flesh ("body" in Luke) GIVEN for you. The Word given is impressed on me. Jesus was the sacrifice (real bodily sacrifice) that He willingly gave up for us so that the new covenant could be established. I have an interesting footnote to share from my Bible about the verses in Luke. It says, " Luke describes the institution of the Lord's supper in the upper room with Jesus' disciples on the night before his death in almost the exact same words as Matthew and Mark. The only difference was that Luke described a cup before the bread as well as a cup after the bread. Luke was apparently emphasizing the first cup as the cup of the Passover which they were celebrating on this evening while he distinguished the BREAD and cup which followed as the new covenant in the body and blood of Christ."

The emphasis here is that the body of Christ was to be offered as the bread of life under the new covenant established by Jesus and His sacrifice. He gave up that life willingly so we could have eternal life and relationship with our Father as He has always desired it to be.

What Jesus is referring to in John 6:51b is the sacriface of His own body on the cross for the sin of mankind.

The similarities are-my body/my flesh, given/which will give, for you/for the life of the world

• 3 weeks later...

When Jesus says, "This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world", he is refering to the sacrifice of his body on the cross for redeeming the sins of human being.

The similarities with Jesus

. (John 6:51b) What is Jesus referring to when he says, "This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world"? What similarities do you see with Jesus' teaching at the Last Supper in Luke 22:19b?

When Jesus says, "This bread is my flesh,which I will give for the life of the world. " He is saying the same

thing as in the quot of the Bread of life teaching except that I feel here he is personalizing it more and he

is with the disciples he has taught all along and they are aware of the old testament teachings on covenant

so he is spelling out for them this is personal and it will happen soon and then this teaching tonight and for

time after will be meaningfull to you... I am giving my body literally and soon enough you will know it.

It was symbolic yes but the symbolic was becoming from that supper on reality that he was personally

involved in and it is similar with the luke 22 :19 ... but very much more personal to these His disciples.

• 3 weeks later...

Taking part in the bread is celebrating with the Lord Jesus Christ for proviiding us with salvation by forgiving sins in the world. I believe the actual meaning is that the Bread is Christ which he will give as a sacrifice.

The similarities are that it is the same thing but just said a different times.

• 1 month later...

When Jesus says,'' This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world'' He is referring to His body, but He is speaking in metaphors. The Jews find this repulsive and think of it as cannibalism. It seems that Jesus knew His words would offend and yet His reason for saying these things was probably to drive the message home. To believe in Jesus, to eat His flesh and drink His blood is not only to just believe His word but to be united to Him by faith and participate in His life!