JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Jesus' Teaching on the Great Banquet

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. Why are so many of Jesus' teachings oriented toward the future? What kinds of associations come to mind as you think of the Great Banquet?

The future can be built, but nothing can be done about the past except to cover it in the blood of Jesus and leave it behind. Jesus still had to go through the cross. He was looking steadfastly beyond that to the glories and achievements of Heaven, when he would have everything accomplished and his bride present with Him.

There are many associations. How long can I write?

First the story of the bridegroom and the tenvirgins, only five of whom were ready (fit) to attend.

Second the story of the repudiated invitations, and the Lord's counter to that, namely that his servants went and invited al and sundry in, and even compelled the working people to come. OurGod is determined to have a great feast and a banquet full of wedding guests. I once saw a "vision" in which the Lord, on the cross, overlooked all Jerusalem and watched the people at work in the streets all around Him. He was

making plans even then to have them all invited to the wedding feast.

Then there is the man thrown out of the wedding feast for coming without the proper dress.

Old Testament references - Psalm 23 - to the banquet table before me in the presence of my enemies

The banquet offered to Peter in a vision where he was to eat everything without worrying about right foods.

The teaching about those who put themselves high up and are asked to move back down, while those who have taken a lower seat are asked tomove up the table to prominence.

The riotous feast at Matthew's house where he gave back fourfold to those from whom he had stolen.

The feast given by Abraham to angels after he had prayed for Lot.

The disciples sharing food at each others' houses - the first communions.

Esther eating with the king and Haaman (he ate damnation to himself by his wrong behaviour before the meal.)

The very important part played by hospitality in the middle east generally. Eating with someone represented a very deep and intimate relationship. The meals were often very specially prepared. The fact that someone who ate at your table could not turn around and hurt you.

The great sacrificial feasts and offerings in Jerusalem, where the meat was offered that there might be "meat in My house". for everybody, and none went hungry who attended those feasts

The sometime splitting of an animal for sacrifice and the walking between the two sides as a covenant is enacted, as did David and Jonathonj swearing covering for each other.

Jesus teachings were always pointed towards the future, I believe, because when we were born anew into God's family, we are new creations and our pasts are gone. His kingdom is coming, we don't know the hour when He will come again, but we are to be ever ready to take our places at the Great Banquet.

During His earthly ministry, Jesus shared many parables, telling of the joyous times to come at the Great Banquet and all of them urged the hearer of the need to be ready. But the Great Banquet to come is not restricted to mention in the New Testament, Ezekiel, Isaiah and many other Old Testament Books make mention of it, often noting that earthly wealth and position is not what will be deemed essential to being invited.

For me, these many parables and tellings of the Great Banquet to come, are a warning that the position of the individual in this world will have no bearing on his/her participation in the Great Banquet. We are urged to be constantly in readiness for the invitation, there will be no time to retrieve a 'forgotten' something. I perceive the 'proper dress' so often mentioned in the parables to be more of being right with God, rather than one's apparel per se. If one has not attained a personal relationship with God before Jesus' second coming; and I'm not meaning a relationship that only gives lip-service or makes an outward show of belief while the heart remains focussed on one's self, then one may well find oneself 'not suitably attired' to enter the Banquet.

Jesus prophetic teachings are all meant to build our trust in Him, our faith that He is and is a rewarder of those that diligently seek Him. As events unfolded even during His life on earth that He had told before time, eg: His passion, the coming Holy Spirit, et al, His disciples slowly started to grow in the faith. And, the hope that we have today is built by His ever alive future promises of yesteryear, keeping our faith fertile, ever growing.

At His great banquet there will be a miraculous meal prepared before us. Our Lord will gird Himself and will serve His servants. The delicacies will be beyond our greatest expectations, pleasing to every palate. We will be all as one, in mind an accord singing His praise in harmony and unity. Our joy will be full, everlasting to everlasting with God's love, one for another. All pain and suffering will be gone, our tears no more. What a glorious time it will be.

Q1. Why are so many of Jesus' teachings oriented toward the future? What kinds of associations come to mind as you think of the Great Banquet?

I believe that Jesus' teachings are set toward the future because it is of things to come. Of what God has promised his people. An eternity for obedience and love.

John 1:11-13

Q1. Why are so many of Jesus' teachings oriented toward the future?

Because that is where our hope is, to some day be with the Lord. He has gone to prepare a place for the Bride and He tells us to be ready, to be watching, for we know not when He will come. We are to prepare ourselves, we are to put off the old man and be renewed in the spirit of the mind, put on the new man which was created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness. If we are not anticipating His coming, looking towards the future, we may find ourselves as the man who did go to the Wedding Feast, but he did not have on a wedding garment. He insulted the king's invitation. He did not put on the new man, put on the righteousness that Christ has given to be worn. The man came unprepared, a great insult to the King. He was sent out of the banquet hall! Christ is coming for the bride who is anxiously awaiting His appearing. Each day, look to the future, be prepared - for the future may be today.

What kinds of associations come to mind as you think of the Great Banquet?

We will dine with the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. We will sit with the the saints of the Old Testiment, we will be celebrating with the saints of the New Testiment. What a day that will be. How exciting, how much fun to start the day off, preparing ourselves for that Great Day.

In the Last Supper only one cup was mentioned, and it was the third cup, the cup of redemption and the renewal of the Covenant. (Brit Hadashah) Jesus said "Truly, I say to you, I shall not drink again of the fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new in the kingdom of God."

Is Jesus staging the idea that the Lords Supper and the Passover has a future prophetic application? Will He drink the 4th cup, when He comes to bring the Kingdom of God, to the reality of our spiritual dimensional world in the future? It is stated as 'families of the earth' in Zechariah 14. We will have to gather around the table.... to find out!

Why are so many of Jesus' teachings oriented toward the future?

I believe it is to give us hope. It also reminds me that Jesus said, I go to prepare a place for you in my Fathers house. Jesus is telling us too that even when we are with Him, there will still be instructions.

Not only will people will come from east and west and north and south, and will take their places at the feast in the kingdom of God, if a representative from each nation does not go, their land will not get any rain. The feast of tabernacles that most folks think of as Jewish holiday are and will still be held annually in the new Kingdom when Jesus reigns. God said, this feast would be forever... He clearly meant forever. This holiday isn't just for the Jews. Genealogy shows us that we are all decedents of Abraham.

And it shall come to pass, that every one that is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall even go up from year to year to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, and to keep the feast of tabernacles. And it shall be, that whoso will not come up of all the families of the earth unto Jerusalem to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, even upon them shall be no rain. And if the family of Egypt go not up, and come not, that have no rain; there shall be the plague, wherewith the LORD will smite the heathen that come not up to keep the feast of tabernacles. This shall be the punishment of Egypt, and the punishment of all nations that come not up to keep the feast of tabernacles. Zechariah 14: 16-19 (KJV) I often wonder if some will watch this event on the thing that God clearly gave the name, to some individual called the tell-a-vision.

Another thought is this and it is quite sad to me really. In Luke 14: 15-24 The man that was sitting at the table with Jesus had understood what a privilege it was to have a share in the Kingdom. He just didn't know how to get in or he would not have made that remark. Blessed is he that shall eat bread in the kingdom of God I think he saw a glimpse of what it would be like, but like so many people, they do not take Jesus up on His invitation.

It was their custom to send two invitations. One to announce the event, similarly like we do in bulletins or newspapers or even posters. But then they would also send one out to let them know that the event was ready and everything was in place. The guests in Jesus story, insulted the host by making excuses. If we do not take Jesus up now on the invitation to join Him at the wedding feast, like in the story where all those who had turned down the host, the host sent the invitations out to the others in the streets and alleys of the city. If we do not take up Jesus on His invite, He will pull back His invitation and go on to the next one on His list.

Just like in Jesus' story, the one invitation is now, The day of the Lord is at hand. The next time we hear the invitation to us who have taken Him up on His invitation, we will hear a very loud trumpet to announce that the wedding feast is ready. -Amen

Just like when God explained to Moses to tell the Israelites in Exodus 12:3 Speak ye unto all the congregation of Israel, saying, In the tenth day of this month they shall take to them every man a lamb, according to the house of their fathers, a lamb for an house:

Moses was to make an announcement: speak to the congregation and later on in this same chapter in verse 11: And thus shall ye eat it; with your loins girded, your shoes on your feet, and your staff in your hand; and ye shall eat it in haste: it is the LORD's passover. they were to be prepared as if they were ready for as journey. We who have accepted His invitation, should always be ready and waiting and looking for our King.

It’s gonna be a huge party and blast from the past in a zone with no time... so the party will go on for ever and ever! Halleluiah!

This is because we are all looking forward for that future , the coming of Our Lord Jesus Christ . It will be a very great day fot those who are waiting upon Him. It will be only for those who have believed and trusted Him.

There will be a great feast or banquet on that day when the Lord will be selecting His chosen one.

In the Last Supper only one cup was mentioned, and it was the third cup, the cup of redemption and the renewal of the Covenant. (Brit Hadashah) Jesus said "Truly, I say to you, I shall not drink again of the fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new in the kingdom of God."

Is Jesus staging the idea that the Lords Supper and the Passover has a future prophetic application? Will He drink the 4th cup, when He comes to bring the Kingdom of God, to the reality of our spiritual dimensional world in the future? It is stated as 'families of the earth' in Zechariah 14. We will have to gather around the table.... to find out!

I believe it is to give us hope. It also reminds me that Jesus said, I go to prepare a place for you in my Fathers house. Jesus is telling us too that even when we are with Him, there will still be instructions.

Not only will people will come from east and west and north and south, and will take their places at the feast in the kingdom of God, if a representative from each nation does not go, their land will not get any rain. The feast of tabernacles that most folks think of as Jewish holiday are and will still be held annually in the new Kingdom when Jesus reigns. God said, this feast would be forever... He clearly meant forever. This holiday isn't just for the Jews. Genealogy shows us that we are all decedents of Abraham.

And it shall come to pass, that every one that is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall even go up from year to year to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, and to keep the feast of tabernacles. And it shall be, that whoso will not come up of all the families of the earth unto Jerusalem to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, even upon them shall be no rain. And if the family of Egypt go not up, and come not, that have no rain; there shall be the plague, wherewith the LORD will smite the heathen that come not up to keep the feast of tabernacles. This shall be the punishment of Egypt, and the punishment of all nations that come not up to keep the feast of tabernacles. Zechariah 14: 16-19 (KJV) I often wonder if some will watch this event on the thing that God clearly gave the name, to some individual called the tell-a-vision.

Another thought is this and it is quite sad to me really. In Luke 14: 15-24 The man that was sitting at the table with Jesus had understood what a privilege it was to have a share in the Kingdom. He just didn't know how to get in or he would not have made that remark. Blessed is he that shall eat bread in the kingdom of God I think he saw a glimpse of what it would be like, but like so many people, they do not take Jesus up on His invitation.

It was their custom to send two invitations. One to announce the event, similarly like we do in bulletins or newspapers or even posters. But then they would also send one out to let them know that the event was ready and everything was in place. The guests in Jesus story, insulted the host by making excuses. If we do not take Jesus up now on the invitation to join Him at the wedding feast, like in the story where all those who had turned down the host, the host sent the invitations out to the others in the streets and alleys of the city. If we do not take up Jesus on His invite, He will pull back His invitation and go on to the next one on His list.

Just like in Jesus' story, the one invitation is now, The day of the Lord is at hand. The next time we hear the invitation to us who have taken Him up on His invitation, we will hear a very loud trumpet to announce that the wedding feast is ready. -Amen

Just like when God explained to Moses to tell the Israelites in Exodus 12:3 Speak ye unto all the congregation of Israel, saying, In the tenth day of this month they shall take to them every man a lamb, according to the house of their fathers, a lamb for an house:

Moses was to make an announcement: speak to the congregation and later on in this same chapter in verse 11: And thus shall ye eat it; with your loins girded, your shoes on your feet, and your staff in your hand; and ye shall eat it in haste: it is the LORD's passover. they were to be prepared as if they were ready for as journey. We who have accepted His invitation, should always be ready and waiting and looking for our King.

It

HOPE.

In this world we have many trials, but our hope in Christ is that He has overcome the world and there is a future for us with SO much promise. Man is so temporal while God is eternal. This calls us to use our time wisely here on earth. We believe in the existence and rule of one God and our salvation through Jesus Christ. My devotional for the day says, " The comparison of human brevity to God's eternity makes it clear that the only basis for existence, beyond fleeting sensation, is in God. Seperated from God, we are like a dream seperated from a sleeper--the most insubstantial condition ever imaginable! But joined to God.....we are a part of an eternal reality." That is based on Psalm 90. I love verse 12. " Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom."

That is what Jesus tells us of our future for. To let us know we are a part of that eternal REALITY. To know everything of the flesh here is NOT reality so as not to be fooled by things of the flesh.

As for the banquet.....I associate that with sitting with Jesus and the joy of being there. To really finally live with Him. To eat with Him, to speak with Him face to face to touch Him and to just be with Him.That's a joy I don't think I can fully comprehend now. I can only imagine!

His teachings oriented toward the future because His kingdom is not of this world and therefore neither is ours... but at the perfect time of His own choosing He will take back what is rightfully His...ALL of creation.

When I think of the Great Banquet or the Wedding Feast of the Lamb I associate with it very extreme close intimate fellowship with the Almighty God. Our close relationship with Him in Christ right now, though beautiful, is but a shadow of what it will be then. It causes me to shudder when I think how unworthy, completely unqualified I am in my own merit...and how completely beautiful is His grace through Christ Jesus our Lord, our Savior.

JOHN 14:1 "Don't be troubled. You trust God, now trust in me. 2 There are many rooms in my Father's home, and I am going to prepare a place for you. If this were not so, I would tell you plainly."(nlt) I work in construction and I have never seen any one build a new house for themselves and not move into it. The other thing I have never seen is old, broken and worn out furniture moved into a new home. As a new home is nearing completion the new owners will go through the old house and get rid of the things which will only clutter and mess up the new house. The things that just won't work in the new house are either sold or hauled off to the dump.

Rev. 21:1 Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the old heaven and the old earth had disappeared. And the sea was also gone. 2 And I saw the holy city, the new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven like a beautiful bride prepared for her husband. 3 I heard a loud shout from the throne, saying, "Look, the home of God is now among his people! He will live with them, and they will be his people. God himself will be with them. 4 He will remove all of their sorrows, and there will be no more death or sorrow or crying or pain. For the old world and its evils are gone forever." 5 And the one sitting on the throne said, "Look, I am making all things new!" And then he said to me, "Write this down, for what I tell you is trustworthy and true."(nlt)

"For the old world and its evils are gone forever." There are certain things that just won't work in the LORD'S new house either. These things are hauled off to the dump: 1 Peter 2:1 So get rid of all malicious behavior and deceit. Don't just pretend to be good! Be done with hypocrisy and jealousy and backstabbing. 2 You must crave pure spiritual milk so that you can grow into the fullness of your salvation. Cry out for this nourishment as a baby cries for milk, 3 now that you have had a taste of the Lord's kindness."

There is a new heaven and a new earth beinig prepared just for us, the time is nearing for us to take possession, the time is now to go through the closets and get rid of the things that just won't work.

Darrell

Why are so many of Jesus teachings oriented towards the future? What kind of associations come to mind as you think of the Great Banquet?

He wants us to be aware that he is coming to fullfill the purposes of God for our life. It is to have the faith and the obedience necessary so we can be sober and vigilant at all times.We cannot be like the evil servant who had doubted and had not had the patience so he started to do everything evil in the sight of the Lord and others.The parables arekind of warnings to us to always remeber that one day we are either going to inherit the promises of the Lord or go and perish forever in hell. The Great Banquet to me is a reminder that one day we are going to be sitting in this big table with the Lord and the Father who has created us into His image.The Lord's Supper is a reminder of a bigger of what the Great Banquet will symbolize in the new heavens.

Why Jesus' teachings are oriented toward the future.

We can recall a song by the late Jim Reeves "This world is not my home, I am just passing through.." As we do, it becomes very clear that we are here just for a while and will have to go to our permanent home heaven, in the near future, where we will be with the Lord. It is this very reason that Jesus wanted to ensure that we do not become too comfortable here less we forget that we are just on transit.

To my mind, the association that comes to my mind as I think of the Great Banquet, is the Christmas meal where families sit round the table to celebrate Christmas.

Thats what we have to look forward to the sharing of a Great banquet with our Lord Jesus Christ.

The associations that come to mind with those mentioned in the study; is that we are to be prepared and waiting, and it doesn't matter what status or who we are as long as we repent, beleive and confess Christ as our Lord we shall be enjoying this banquet with like minded people and Christ.

We are told throughout scripture to forget the things that are past and focus on the future.

That isn't to say we can't enjoy a trip down memory lane, but our main concentration should be on the coming kingdom of God.

What kind of associations come to mind as you think of the Great Banquet?

Enjoying food and fellowship with Jesus and follow believers.

The message of Jesus is the message of salvation: salvation now and salvation for eternity. It is a message in which the promise and the hope is forward looking. We live in the kingdom of heaven now, we have a relationship with Jesus now but the complete fulfilment will come when he returns and lifts us up to Him.

The associations I have with the Great Banquet are less with satisfying human appetite by eating and drinking but with the closeness of association, of celebration, deep friendship, pleasure, love, enjoyment, fulfilment, reward, permanence, thankfulness, completeness and unity.

Because all human being alive or dead will face what will happen in the future. In the future Jesus will come again to the world, the kingdom of God will come, and kingdom of this world in which we live now will be destroyed. In that time the elect will be invited for the Great Banquet and will eat and drink at His table in His kingdom, but the non-elect will be cast into the hell. Jesus

• 3 weeks later...

Jesus's teachings are mostly oriented to the future because his kingdom is not of this world.

what he is preparing us for is a heavenly kingdom and the Weding feast of the Lamb and the

New heavens and New earth are future occurrances to happen in the future.

I associate the great banquet with many of Jesus's parable about banquets and with the parable

of the man that went to Abraham's boosom and the rich man that did not and dies and goes to

hades. I imagine all of the prophets, and judges and kings and the people who died before us

and those raised in the rapture will all join together in this feast.... and be worshiping Jesus and

joining together in the table of communion together as the new covenant is completed and now

after this banquet Jesus will rule and reign in the new heavens and new earth along side God

the father. I see a great and long lasting praising feast !!!

• 3 weeks later...

There are so many teachings because I feel that this is such an important thing that Christians will be experiencing in the future. people from the four corners of the earth coming together (Never has this happened), All being judged by theie accomplaiments in thier life. Celebrating all together the wonderful banquet for the Lord.

• 2 months later...

So many of Jesus' teachings are oriented toward the future, because He is talking about the end of time when He comes again and when we take our place at table with Him. This is the whole point of our Christian faith. Many guests are invited to this divine feast or ''Great Banquet'', but not many will come. The rich, proud and self-righteous will be rejected and the poor, oppressed and needy will eagerly come. This feast is for all peoples, whether Jew or Gentile for indeed ''Whosoever believes shall be saved''. This is so important for us believers of Christ, that many of Jesus' parables were associated with this. In particular the parable of the ''Ten Virgins'' and the'' Rich Man and Lazarus.''