JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Isaiah 53 in the NT

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D The scripture which to me sums up the lesson of Isaiah 53 is Matt. 26:38, 39, and 42. In the Garden Jesus shows to me the depth of His sacrifice and the extent of His suffering. "He told them, 'My soul is crushed with grief to the point of death. Stay here and watch with me.' He went a little farther and fell face down on the ground praying, 'My Father! If it is possible let this cup of suffering be taken away form me; yet, I want your will not mine.' Again he left them and prayed, 'My Father, if this cup cannot be taken away until I drink it, your will be done.'" (New Living Bible) This passage shows me that as a human Jesus dreaded what He was to go through but becuase He understood God's purpose He was willing to suffer in order to bring foregiveness and salvation to all the world.

Is. 42:1-4 says alot to me becuase it says, "Here is my servant whom I have chosen,

the one I love, in whom I delight".....this shows to me how hard it was for God to send His own son for me, that he delighted in Him, and how He loved him! Any parent knows how hard it is to watch your child suffer, this passage reminds me of how God loves His son, and what a sacrifice sending Him was. And, it shows me how the victory will be His, and that the nations (the whole world) will put their hope in HIM!

Matthew 20:28 is the New Testament passage that sums up Isaiah 53 for me. Separation from God, which is the punishment brought on by our rebelling and sin, is a life (present and eternal) of grief and anguish - a spiritual death. God's love offers the us the opportunity to be reconciled with Him by allowing His Son to take upon Himself the consequences of our sin - His physical suffering and death in place (a ransom) of our spiritual death.

"just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many." Matthew 20:28

But he was pierced for our transgressions,

he was crushed for our iniquities;

the punishment that brought us peace was upon him,

and by his wounds we are healed.

Isaiah 53:5

His Peace & Love To All Of You.

Which single New Testament passage best sums up for you the lessons of Isaiah 53? Why did you chose this passage?

2 Cor 5:20-21

21 God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

(from New International Version)

This verse seems to sum up the lessons in Isaiah 53. Jesus came to bear our sins, so we could be in relationship with God. God is righteous and we cannot approach Him if we are not. It is because Jesus chose to take our sins upon Himself and give us His righteousness, that we can be in a relationship with God.

Thank you Jesus!

The New Testament passage that best sum up Is. 53: 2 Corinthians 5:21 "God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become righteousness of God."

I selected this passage because this is the ultimate love( God's Love) to give his son. Jesus had no sin but he took on our sin. We were the unrighteous ones but through Jesus Christ we became righteousness of God. Jesus died for our sins but He rose for all who believe. I worship and praise a true and living God. JESUS IS ALIVE!

Luke 24:25-27 tells the story of Jesus Christ showing Himself to two of His disciples who were on the way to Emaus. While they were on their way, Jesus Christ Himself explained to His disciples His mission and the reason why He came to earth in the first place and why He had to suffer and die at the hands of the people who hated Him. And the amazing fact is that He talked about all those things by basing them on scriptures that were written about Him.

This tells us of the fact that Jesus was not just acting upon a personal mission that He decided He should do. He was not just a rebel or a revolutionary who decided that He should act against the system and coincidentally or intentionally used the scriptures to make Himself look like He was the Messiah that the people were waiting for. If He was just intentionally using the scriptures He would have missed out on some of the things that were supposed to be written about Him. For example, He couldn't have ensured that the guards who were there during His crucifixion would fulfill the scripture that none of the Lamb's bones will be broken by not breaking His legs. There was no assurance that they wouldn't do it because it was the norm during that time and because Passover was fast approaching. He couldn't have been so sure that He would die even before those guards would break His legs to speed up His death.

If it was coincidental, it would have been the same thing. Not everything that was written about Him would cocme to pass. I think the odds that they would all be fulfilled are so slim that it would be easier for a person to win a lottery - maybe even win it twice in a lifetime - than fulfill everything that was written about a person hundreds of years ago.

That is why this is my favorite. Jesus Christ Himself showed His disciples that He knew what He was doing. That He really knew the Father personally and that He knew that His life is a personal mission of salvation for the people of the world. :D

Q5. Which single New Testament passage best sums up for you the lessons of Isaiah 53? Why did you chose this passage? List of NT Allusions to Isaiah 53

(1 John 4:10)God loved us so much>"This is Love:not that we loved God,but that he loved us and sent his Son as an"atoning sacrifice for our sins."---"Behold The Lamb of God!!This was the fulfillment of Isaiah 53:

JESUS>Bore our sins,(Jesus>Bore our punishment,Jesus took on himself the sins of the whole world,so that we may have life."JESUS",The Servant-Lamb.The one we turn to for the remission of all our sins. Glory Be To God.Amen

The eunuch was reading this passage of Scripture:

'He was led like a sheep to the slaughter

and as a lamb before the shearer is silent,

so he did not open his mouth.

In his humiliation he was deprived of justice.

Who can speak of his descendants?

For his life was taken from the earth.'

The eunuch asked Philip, 'Tell me, please, who is the prophet talking about, himself or someone else?' Then Philip began with that very passage of Scripture and told him the good news about Jesus." (Acts 8:32-35; quotes Is 53:7-8)

To me this portain of scripture sum's up Isaiah 53. It speaks of sin, & the price, by us, that should have been paid ( "He was cut off out of the land of the living for the transgression of my people, to whom the stroke was due!") I choose this scripture, because I love the story of Phillip & the eunuch. "Then Phillip opened his mouth, & beginning with this portion of scripture, announced to him the Good News" PRAISE GOD, FOR THE GOOD NEWS! :lol: Afterwards, the eunuch, spotting water, wanted to be Baptized. What a wonderful conversion!.....love, jaunita

To me, the New Testament verse that sums up Isaiah 53 the best is I Peter 3:18;

"For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive by the Spirit..."

It tells us that

Christ died for all sins once.

That He died, the righteous for the unrighteous.

That He brought us to God.

That His died a physical death.

That He was made alive by the Spirit.

Glen

Q5. Which single New Testament passage best sums up for you the lessons of Isaiah 53? Why did you chose this passage?

Matthew 12:18-21

"Here is my servant whom I have chosen,

the one I love, in whom I delight;

I will put my Spirit on him,

and he will proclaim justice to the nations.

He will not quarrel or cry out;

no one will hear his voice in the streets.

A bruised reed he will not break,

and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out,

till he leads justice to victory.

In his name the nations will put their hope."

This passage tells us that God choose to give His Son to us.

(Here is my servarnt whom I have chosen)

It tells us that Jesus willingly took on our punishment.

(He will not quarrel or cry out)

And that the task was a universal one. (the nations)

Sins are forgiven such that all become just.

(justice to victory)

And the reason I really like this passage...

(In his name the nations will put their hope.)

There is Hope for All.

Even in our seemingly hopeless world.

Even when we think we have come to the end of our rope, Jesus is there to get us through.

Even when nations of people are full of anger, hate, and spite. There is still Hope.

Q5. Which single New Testament passage best sums up for you the lessons of Isaiah 53? Why did you chose this passage? List of NT Allusions to Isaiah 53

Revelation 1:17-18

"When I saw Him, I fell at His feet like a dead man. And He placed His right hand on me, saying, "Do not be afraid; I am the first and the last, and the living One; and I was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of death and of Hades."

I chose this passage because it shows the resurrected Christ in heaven already having fulfilled Isaiah 53. It shows that Christ went through all of the suffering and agony spelled out in Isaiah 53 and in the New Testament just to remedy our sin situation and He conquered it.

I chose 1st Peter 3:18 "Christ died for sins once and for all, the righteous for the unrighteous. He was put to death in the body but made alive by the spirit."

He died for all--that means me! His sacrifice means I will have the right to

be with Him eternally in heaven! Praise His holy name!

1 peter 3:18 Christ died for sins once and for all, the righteous and the unrighteous. He was put to death in the body but made alive by the spirit.

Christ died on that old rugged cross for all of our sins even mine, and even each and everyone of us so that we can lay all our sins upon the altar and be free from them, that he will forgive us for them and he will give us a prcious gift of be able to be redeemed from our sins.

What a Precious, loving God we have to die upon the cross for all of us. :)

Q5. Which single New Testament passage best sums up for you the lessons of Isaiah 53? Why did you chose this passage? I like Philippians 2:9-11 where it says God exalted Him to the highest place and gave Him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

#2 Q5. Which single New Testament passage best sums up for you the lessons of Isaiah 53? Why did you chose this passage?

Such is the word of God I find it quite difficult to determine a favourite passage to parallel with Isaiah

To me the new testament passage that sums up Isaiah 53 is Matt26:28.

" This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sin."

I chose this passage because to me it sums up Christ's work of atonement.

This is my blood = He was pierced for our transgressions (Isa 53:5)

which is poured out for many= the Lord has laid on Him the iniquity of us all. (Isa 53:6)

for the forgiveness of sin=and by His wounds we are healed.(Isa 53:5).

I read what scriptures everyone posted and though many scriptures could sum up Isaiah 53

I must admit this scripture Sums up it up beautifully. I fell at His feet... He touched me... Do not be AFRAID... I AM the FIRST and LAST... The LIVING ONE; whom was DEAD... AND BEHOLD... BEHOLD!!! I LIVE FOREVERMORE... AND IN MY HANDS I POSSESS THE KEYS TO HADES; TO OVERCOME DEATH FOR ALL WHO BELIEVE. (my wording) For now can you see, He abideth in me... for His GGG lllllllll oooooo rrrrrrr yyyyy!!!! I can just hear the sound of Rejoicing in His Heart. Fear Not Me... Nor Death. Hallelujah!!!

Revelation 1:17-18

When I saw Him, I fell at His feet like a dead man. And He placed His right hand on me, saying, "Do not be afraid; I am the first and the last, and the living One; and I was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of death and of Hades." :D:D

:) For Christ died for sins once and for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive by the Spirit..." 1 Peter 3:18

Once and for all Christ died for me so I could be brought to God. This verse say it all for me. Christ loved me so much. He died to buy me out of darkness so I could be with God.

Which single New Testament passage best sums up for you the lessons of Isaiah 53? Why did you chose this passage?

I chose 1 Peter 2:24-25:

To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps.

"He committed no sin,

and no deceit was found in his mouth." (quotes Is 53:9)

When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly. He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed. (quotes Is 53:5) For you were like sheep going astray, but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls." (1 Peter 2:24-25)

This passage explains how Christ suffered willingly for us, how He bore the burden of our sins. It explains how He did this so that we might "die to sin" , that is He died in our place so that we wouldn't have to. And so that we could "live for righteousness" and be healed. Now we can be free of the curse of sin and live free, whole lives. And we can return to "the Shepherd and Overseer of our souls"--that is we can enjoy a right relationship with God.

All praise to the Lamb of God--our Lord Jesus! :lol:

:) For me, I Peter 2:21-25 best sums up the lessons of Isaiah 53.

I Peter 2:21-25

To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow His steps.

He committed no sin, and no deceit was found in His mouth.

When they hurled their insults at Him, He did not retaliate, when He suffered, He made no threats. Instead He entrusted Himself to Him who judges justly. He Himself bore our sins in His body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by His wounds you have been healed. For you were like sheep going astray, but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls.

:) The reason why I chose this passage is because it tells me what Jesus had done for me to set me free from the slavery of sin through His dying on the cross and what are the things He had given me to enjoy as a result of my return to Him as the Shepherd and Overseer of my soul.

Since He already had left an example, I as a believer should now follow in His steps. I have to decide now to live like a believer, saved by the Lamb who took away the sins of the world, by faith and not by my own good works but by the grace of God. Amen!!!!

Q5. Which single New Testament passage best sums up for you the lessons of Isaiah 53? Why did you chose this passage?

"To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps. He committed no sin, and no deceit was found in his mouth. When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly. He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed. For you were like sheep going astray, but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls." (1 Peter 2:24-25)

I chose this passage because I have such a hard time doing the things listed (not retaliating, but trusting, etc.). If Jesus did that...and calls me to imitate Him...surely He will empower me to do that, as well. He is an amazing Savior. :)

Luke 22:37 "It is written; 'And he was numbered with the transgressors'; and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me.Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment.

In this passage, Jesus qoutes Isaiah 53:12 and announces that this passage is written about him. He leads them to Isaiah 53 with that quote, and identifies himself as the suffering servant.

1 Peter 2:24-25 -- "To this you were called, because Chist suffered for you........

This sums up Isaiah 53 because Jesus suffered for us, He died that we might live and have fellowship with God the Father. He gives us His peace that we might keep focused on Him alone.

:D