JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. In Heaven before the Resurrection

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Philippians 1:23-24; 2 Corinthians 5:8) According to these verses, where will Christians be immediately after death? Where do we await the resurrection?

We are with Christ immediately after death. We pass from this world and are ushered into His presence.

We wait for the resurrection in heaven. If we pass from this life into the presence of Christ we must be in heaven for that is where Christ is.

Q2. (Philippians 1:23-24; 2 Corinthians 5:8) According to these verses, where will Christians be immediately after death? Where do we await the resurrection?

We have been in the Presence of God from the instant of our death until the resurrection. We wait in heaven in the presence of Jesus .

Like it says in ( John 14: 2-3 ) " In my house are many rooms; If it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you may be where I am also."

Immeditelly after death, Christians will be with the Lord in heaven. I guess we will be there with the Lord until the resurrection.

"I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body." (Philippians 1:23-24)

"We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home5 with the Lord." (2 Corinthians 5:8).

I believe that our souls go to be with the Lord to await the resurrection of our natural bodies. To be with the Lord is the better Paul says and I believe that He is saying that even our souls will recognize the Lord and be able to praise and worship Him till He call all the saints Home to Him and then restores our bodies. I see that again in Revelations where John says He sees the Saints under the Alter awaiting for the Lord to avenge their deaths.

Luke 16:22 "So it was that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels to Abraham's bosom. The rich man also died and was buried.

23 "And being in torments in Hades, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

24 "Then he cried and said, 'Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.'

25 "But Abraham said, 'Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things; but now he is comforted and you are tormented.

26 'And besides all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed, so that those who want to pass from here to you cannot, nor can those from there pass to us.'

I don't know where this paradisical bosom of Abraham is. I am sure I want the angels to carry me there! The tortures of the damned are apparent here as well. I know I don't want to go there. I trust that when I die Jesus will put me in a safe, happy, free and loving place until those last days come. Whether we call it Heaven or Paradise, or the Bosom of Abraham makes little difference to me as long as I get to hug my Jesus.

I, for one, am not convinced that we will be awake with the Lord when our bodies die. For one, in the two scriptures given there is no indication as to whether we will be awake or asleep when we go to be with Him. In Rev 6:9-11, it states; "I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God (martyrs)..., that they should rest yet for a little season..."(KJV). This indicates to me a passive state that might just be stirred up in eager anticpation of that final judgement day, as God's plan for our eternal communion with Him comes to fruition. Also, in John 14:2-3, I find it hard to believe that the Lord is building a room for me under His altar. I have something a little more spacious in mind.

In 1 Thes 4:13-18, Brother Paul takes great pains to ease our burden concerning our lost loved ones who have died in Christ. He specifically says that ..."and that the dead in Christ shall rise first:"(16d). If we are already awake with Him why would we have to rise again?

I believe that our soul will rest in endless sleep until that great shofar sounds and brings us all home, together, the dead and the living.

Christians await the resurrection in the presence of God. Jesus calls it 'Abrahams Bossom'. When believers die they carried into the presence of God to await the glorious resurrection day.

After death, the Christian will be in the presence of God with Christ, awaiting the faithful that remain to come after their death, the completion of all of this will be in accordance with God's time/timing and purpose.

At the time of our death we will be in the presence of God in heaven awaiting the resurrection.

When a Christian dies, he or she goes immediately to be with Christ in heaven. At the moment of death, we are ushered into the presense of God. Those Christians who have died, await the resurrection in heaven.

I think it would be awesome to be raptured while still alive. At the same time, I would love to be one of the resurrected dead,

rising up out of my grave when the angel's trumpet sounds and Christ returns for His saints.

All Christians will be spending their eternal life with Christ. They will be waiting for the ressurection on the last day to receive the reward of their work.

Christians will be with Christ immediately after death.

We await the resurrection in heaven, in a place where God is present and we is with Him.

• 3 weeks later...

Q2. (Philippians 1:23-24; 2 Corinthians 5:8) According to these verses, where will Christians be immediately after death?

According to these verses, Christians will be with Christ immediately after death.

23 For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better: 24 Nevertheless to abide in the flesh is more needful for you."
Philippians 1:23-24 (KJV)

We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.
2 Corinthians 5:8 (KJV)

Where do we await the resurrection?

We await the resurrection in the presence of the Lord. 1 Thess 4:14 is rather clear: "We believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him." They have been in the presence of God from the instant of their death until the resurrection. Amen!

• 3 weeks later...

Q2. (Philippians 1:23-24; 2 Corinthians 5:8) According to these verses, where will Christians be immediately after death?

We will be with the Lord, this is the first resurrection, it began with Jesus the firstfruits, and continues with all those who died in the covenant with Jesus.

(Rev. 20:4-8)