JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Holding Fast to Our Confession

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Hebrews 4:14) What is so important about "holding fast to our confession."

When we hold fast to our confession we proclaim to the world that Jesus is the Lord of our life and that our allegience is with Him.

What is our confession or profession of faith?

Our confession or profession of faith is "Jesus is Lord!".

Why is maintaining this confession so vital?

Maintaining this confession is vital because we are encouraged and strengthened each time we make the confession. We remind ourselves that despite everything that goes on around us Jesus is still Lord and His promises are true and unfailing.

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (Hebrews 4:14) What is so important about "holding fast to our confession." What is our confession or profession of faith? Why is maintaining this confession so vital?

Holding fast to me means keeping it center place in our heart not letting go of it. We must always let our faith show through and that happens when we confess Jesus before men and He confesses us before the Father in heaven.

Our confession must be as Romans 10:9-10, say that Jesus is Lord that He is the Son of God that He died and on the third day God raised Him from the dead and sat Him down at His right hand.

It is vital because it keep us strong in our faith by reminding us where our help comes from and where we are going. It keeps ou on the right path and helps us to have the strength to love our neighbor as ourselves and try to bring them to know the Lord and make the "Good Confession" that Jesus is also Lord over their lives.

Q1. (Hebrews 4:14) What is so important about "holding fast to our confession." What is our confession or profession of faith? Why is maintaining this confession so vital?

If we don't clearly know what we believe it is very hard to sustain it! We need to know exactly what we believe and be able to answer for it, state it, present it at any given time. This is one reason why learning Bible texts is so important - they form the body of what we believe and can use in defending our faith. It is also a very good reason for putting the main tennets of our faith in a nutshell (a creed) so that we can easily restate the essence of our faith. Speaking things out is a major part of learning. It's hard to learn anything without speaking it out in some way - especially to someone who is listening. For example, if we are learning a part for a play, it is more quickly learned by speaking it out than by just listening to it. The speaking seems to give us ownership! Likewise with our faith - it is intended to be spoken out, not hidden (under a bushell). Hence the teachings about speaking about the things of God to each other during daily tasks, not only in a church service. We are to teach them to our children (only by speaking them aloud!) The Word of God creates when it is spoken, not when it is kept silent!

Our confession of faith is a statement of the things that we believe and trust. It may come in the form of a creed, or it may be the statement of a scripture that has meaning for us at a given particular time. A testimony is a statement of faith as it has worked out in our particular situation. This is a very powerful confession. At baptism we make a public statement of our faith in Jesus (in greater or lesser detail) We are assigning our lives to Jesus with this statement, and announcing to anyone who might be listening that we are going to follow Christ. Joshua made a simple but dynamic confession when he said "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord".

The prizes in Heaven are for those who "finish the race" There are no prizes for dropouts! Jesus said it's no good turning back once you have put your hand to the plough, ie you have to keep up the pace! Therefore maintaining our confession is vital. We can't state it and then forget about it. It has to be forefront in our minds all the time. We can't afford to lose our first love! Therefore I submit that our "confession" has to constantly develop as we study the Word and implement it in our lives. Not to grow would be to die, but the growth of our confession along with our experienceof Life in the Spirit is very powerful indeed.

Practice makes perfect applies here! Imagine telling your fiance once that you love him/her and expecting that to be sufficient for the rest of his/her life! It wouldn't wash! They like you to keep telling them as life develops. Even in old age it still works a treat!!

Our confession of faith, that "Jesus is Lord" is important to renew in us the sense of love & awe & thankfulness to Jesus Christ, especially when we first believed.

It is our public witness to our confession of faith which strengthens us, those around us, and is a witness to non-believers.

Any system to gain salvation through good deeds is essentially rejecting the significance of Christ's death and spurning the Holy Spirit's work. Beware of anyone who tells you that Christ's sacrafice still leaves you incomplete or that something else is needed to make you acceptable to God. When we believe in Christ, He makes us completely right with God. Our loving relationship leads us to follow Him in willing obedience and service. He is pleased with our service.

We have been made perfect yet we are "being made Holy ." Through His death and resurrection, Christ, once for all made His believers perfect in God's sight. At the same time, He is making them Holy, ( progressively cleansed and set apart for His special use ) in their daily pilgrimage here. We should not be surprised, ashamed, or shocked that we still need to grow. God is not finished with us. We can encourage this growth process by deliberately applying Scripture to all areas of our lives, by accepting the discipline and guidance Christ provides, by giving Him control of our desires and goals.

Jesus' death removed the curtain, and all believers may walk into God's presence at any time. We have significant privilages associated with our new life in Christ: (1 ) We have personal access to God through Christ and can draw near to Him without an elaborate system. ( 2 ) We may grow in faith, overcome doubts and questions, and deepen our relationship with God. ( 3 ) we may enjoy encouragement from one another. ( 4 ) We mayworship together.

When people deliberately reject Christ's offer of salvation, they reject God's most precious gift. They ignore the leading of the Holy Spirit. The one who communicates to us God's saving love. This warning was given to Jewish Christians who were tempted to reject Christ for Judaism, but it applies to any one who rejects Christ.

Maintaining this confession is so vital in the days we are living in now because there are so many false teachings and prophecies going forth, We need to boldly confess Christ where ever we are. My desire is to hold on to the Hem of Christ's garment as did the widow lady for her healing. Also I want to take the access to go past the veil into the Holy of Holies and be in God's Holy presence, under the shadow of His almighty wings. Praise God for the importance of the word and it's courage it gives me in Christ. This is my confession that I am going to hold onto with every thing I have in me to hold fast to.

( Romans 10 : 9-10 ) That if you confess with your mouth, " Jesus is Lord, " and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved . For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. ( My confession of Faith 32 years ago and it hasn't changed. ) Now I tell others that don't know Christ. AMEN

When we hold fast to our confession and belief that God is our Father Almighty and Jesus Christ is the Son of God, our Lord, we invite God to be close to us in our lives -- a place where He waits to be -- and we are reminded daily through our faith that He is there and we do have the choice of turning away from the lures of the world and trusting God with our lives. We confess that Jesus is our High Priest, appointed by God our Father and Creator, Lord. If we do not give God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit priority in our lives, ahead of all things, we do not have His strength and guidance, His comfort and peace, and in this weakened state we feel self-sufficient and eventually become lost in the world. God is our strength and our peace of mind -- a very present help in trouble.

In holding fast to our confession our lives are based upon the Rock, our firm foundation. It is the basis for which we live and our constant in living, ref; Matt 7:24-25.

Our confession is that Jesus is Lord and in no other name upon heaven and earth is there salvation.

Why is maintaining this confession so vital? See Matthew 7:26-27.

It is essential to our confession to live and breath the Word. Jesus is the Word and if we do not know the Word then we lose our confession.

We have to hold fast to our confession because Jesus is our High Priest. He is always at God's right Hand, interceding for us. He is always available to hear us when we pray.

We believe that Jesus was the Son of God Who came to the world as human being and died for our sins. He came as truly God and truly man. He was given all Authority. He is the Only one who can assure us of God's forgiveness.

If we can not maintained our confession, then we will not see God.

"Holding fast to our confession" is so important because we can take hold our eternal life if we hold fast to our confession.

Our confession or profession of faith is that Jesus is our Lord and our Savior.

Maintaining this confession is vital because if we abandon this confession, we will lose our eternal life. This continual confession is that makes our relationship with God still exist and makes Holy Spirit keep living in us.

( Romans 10 : 9-10 ) That if you confess with your mouth, " Jesus is Lord, " and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved . For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved

Jesus Christ is our great High Priest in heaven, the Son of God, our Savior, and finally our Lord. This is our confession of our faith, and as long as we believe and confess this to others, and keep it alive in our hearts and minds, we are safe in His arms, and are saved. If we do not hold fast to our faith, we will regress in it, and fail in our lives.

If we truly believe that Jesus is Lord; that He is the Annointed Messiah sent from the Father as promised, that He was born a physical birth, lived a physical life of teaching and setting an example, died to reconcile us with the Father, rose again triumphant over death and lives sitting at the right hand of the Father reigning with Him, we are free from fear and condemnation

"Holding fast to" this profession allows the Spirit to use it to remind us when we tend to the "drifting away" we are so prone to - we will be sensitive to His voice calling us back and respond by obeying - we are free from the danger of abandoning God and His "heavenly calling" in our lives - our hearts and minds are softened being reminded of who we are through Christ and that He is actively caring for us and guiding us in our everyday lives

Holding fast to our confession of faith means we are telling the world that we are followers of our Lord Jesus Christ and that we place our life and our allegiences with Him.

My confession of faith is that I believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, I believe that He is the Son og God, that He was hung of the cross, dies, was buried and on the third day He arose and assended into heaven and He sits at teh right hand of God the Father. I believe in the Trinity, The Father, The Son and The Holy Ghost. I believe that one day He is coming to take His Bride (the ones who believe in Him with all their heart and all their soul) to heaven to live with Him for ever and ever. Priase God!

I think that the reason it is so vital is because of the dangers out in the world around us and we have to live a good, clean life holding fast to the belief that Jesus is one day coming for us to take us home to heaven to be with Him. We show the world everyday by our actions what we believe in.

Our confession of faith is what we claim to believe. My confesion of faith is my witness and testimony to the world as a follower of Jesus Christ. It is important to hold fast to our confession of faith as a statement for our love for God and because others are watching us as Christians. As a sound and solid witness for Jesus Christ I must hold fast to my confession lest I lead others astray. It important to hold fast to our confession of faith so that we don't permit satan to lead us astray.

We first confess that we are sinners. Jesus said that the Holy Spirit will come and the first thing He will do is convict (make aware) us of our sins. The Jews were most amazed about the fact that Jesus is able to forgive sins, even more amazed than all the other things he did, because only God was able to forgive sins.

James pointed out that anyone who forgets this fact is like a person who looks into a mirror and turns away and forgets what he looks like. So no matter what we all should remember that we are all forgiven sinners..

If we maintain that confession, that Jesus died in order that our sins are forgiven, do we not begin to look at others in a different light? If we maintain that confession, that Jesus Christ is LORD and savior, should we not place greater importance upon things of heaven than of the world?

It is very hard to maintain that confesssion when more importance is given to the things that Jesus did while here than to the purpose he was here. Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." (Luke 6) Even today when preachers try to fill their coffers they use this verse out of context. Trying to indicate that if you send in money money wil be given back to you. When in reality Jesus is talking about forgiving sins. Here is the rest of the story. "Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. 38 Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." Luke 6:38 and 37

No greater bond is formed between two people than when they help each other through a very difficult and seemingly impossible situation. We should look at one another as if getting through this life is one of those very difficult and seeminly impossible situations. God did, and that is why He sent His Son and the Holy Spirit to help us through it.

Darrell

What is so important about "holding fast to our confession."

To get the full understanding here let's look again at the word "holding fast"

NT:2902

krateo (krat-eh'-o); from NT:2904; to use strength, i.e. seize or retain (literally or figuratively):

KJV - hold (by, fast), keep, lay hand (hold) on, obtain, retain, take (by).

NT:2904

kratos (krat'-os); perhaps a primary word; vigor ["great"] (literally or figuratively):

KJV - dominion, might [-ily], power, strength.

1 Tim 1:19-20

19 having faith and a good conscience, which some having rejected, concerning the faith have suffered shipwreck,

NKJV

1 Tim 3:9

9 holding the mystery of the faith with a pure conscience.

NKJV

2 Tim 1:13

13 Hold fast the pattern of sound words which you have heard from me, in faith and love which are in Christ Jesus.

NKJV

What is our confession or profession of faith?

Rom 10:8-9

9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.

NKJV

1 Cor 12:3

3 Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God calls Jesus accursed, and no one can say that Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit.

NKJV

These scriptures I use here are warnings to us, and why it is so important to stay hooked up to our confession of Jesus and to live in the profession of our faith. As we see here, we can risk the lost of our eternal life with Him if we do not stay "stead fast".

If all we had to do was confess and continue in our old ways and life styles then the author here would not warn us to "hold on"

1) lest we drift away

2) rejoicing of the hope firm to the end

3) we must be steadfast to the end

4) Hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering

Heb 2:1

2:1 Therefore we must give the more earnest heed to the things we have heard, lest we drift away.

NKJV

Heb 3:6

6 but Christ as a Son over His own house, whose house we are if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm to the end.

NKJV

Heb 3:14-15

14 For we have become partakers of Christ if we hold the beginning of our confidence steadfast to the end,

NKJV

Heb 10:23

23 Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful.

NKJV

By confessing that Jesus is Lord and ruler of our lives we keep the faith, knowing that He is always with us. He has gone through all we will ever encounter and has the answer for how to work out our problems and to stay grounded. We will have eternal life if we don't waver. God the Father gave His only Son, Jesus Christ to die so I could live. He is Lord of my life. Knowing this keeps Faith alive in my life.

I beleive the Hebrews writer is exhorting us to draw nearer to God. Holding fast to our 'confession' of Who Christ is and what He is doing/done/will do in our lives.

Our confession/profession is one of declaring Jesus is my/our Lord.

This keeps Christ as our number one priority in our lives, He is Lord of our lives.

Christ is Lord of my life and that's important to keep focus on and striving to to live a Christlike life.

What is so important about holding fast to our confession:

It is so important to hold fast to our confession - to say out loud confessions with faith to keep sin out of our minds and hearts cause the mind is where Satan attacks the most - we must hold fast to take hold of our eternal life

What is our confession or profession of Faith?

To fight the good fight of faith

Why is maintaining this confession so vital

If we do not maintain our confessions we will lose our eternal life and we want to keep feeding the Holy Spirit

In the New Testament to confess , is "to make solemn statements of faith, to confess something in faith."4 Paul calls on Timothy to recall his own public confession as an encouragement to "take hold of the eternal life:"

Therefore, we hold fast to our confession which means we hold on to our believe in eternal life with God. We need to be strong and not waver in this believe.

Because it demonstrates our faith and belief in God, Christ his Son our Savior and Lord, who suffered through temptation sinless, crucified for our sins, died a painful death, was buried, where on the third day he was resurrected then he ascended into heaven where he is seated at the right hand of God the Father.

Our vital confession of faith is that We believe in Jesus Christ, he is the highest Priest, he is our Savior, our Lord who gave us the gift of salvation.

Maintaing the confession of our faith is vital to us as Christians because we have surrendered our life over to Christ. By not nourishing our confession we could become lost, wandering aimlessly lacking the knowledge of our faith. So we must hold on to our faith without waivering. Living the examples of Christ.

Our confession is that Jesus Christ is Lord! Holding on to Jesus is so that we will not loose faith in Him

What is so important about holding fast to our confession.What is our confession or proffesion of faith?Why is maintaining this confession so vital?

We need to hold fast because of the fact that we have Jesus and there were many prophets who held on to the witness of Jesus.When we keep in our faith is when He will give us the Strength.Our profession of faith is that we hold on and have renewed strength in the Lord to do things for His Glory.It is important to have this confession cause it makes us stand out for the Lord in the fallen world.

So our Faith will shine through and we can proclaim to non believers that Jesus Christ is Lord..

What is our confession or profession of Faith?

That Jesus Christ is the Son of God, He is Lord.

It is vital so we can remain strong in our Faith. :rolleyes: