JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Aliens and Strangers

• 1 month later...

Q2. (Hebrews 11:13b) In practical terms, what would be the characteristics of a believer who lived his life as an "alien" and "stranger" here on earth?

In practical terms, a believer who lived his life as an "alien" and "stranger" here on earth would be characterized as one who is keenly aware of and demonstrates that though they are in the world they are not making themselves so comfortable as if the world was the final destination. But rather they live in a perpetual state of seeking the blessed promise of a heavenly city.

What is the balance between "in" the world but not "of" it? (John 15:19; 17:13-16; 1 John 4:4-6).

The balance between being "in" the world but not "of" the world is that though "in" the world, the world is not in them, they are not "of" the world. The world hates the believers and their involvement in the world in based on God's will being done through them.

• 1 month later...
Q2. (Hebrews 11:13b) In practical terms, what would be the characteristics of a believer who lived his life as an "alien" and "stranger" here on earth? What is the balance between "in" the world but not "of" it? (John 15:19; 17:13-16; 1 John 4:4-6).

( John 17: 14, 17 ) The world hates Christians because Christians' values differ from the world's. Because Christ's followers don't cooperate with the world by joining in their sinful way of life. They are living accusations against the world's immorality. The world follows satan's agenda and satan is the enemy of Jesus and His people.

A follower of Christ becomes sanctified ( set apart for sacred use, cleansed and made holy ( Hebrews 4: 12 ) He or she has already accepted forgiveness through Christ's sacrificial death ( Hebrews 7 : 26-27 ) Daily application of God's word has a purifying effect on our minds and hearts. scripture points out sin. We should never become attached to the materialistic things of this world as they can become god's to us and draw us away from our relationship with Christ.

( Hebrews 17: 18 ) Jesus didn't ask God to take believers out of the world, but instead to use them in the world. We are called to be salt and light ( Matthew 5: 13-16 ) and we are to do the work that God sent us to do.

Q2. (Hebrews 11:13b) In practical terms, what would be the characteristics of a believer who lived his life as an "alien" and "stranger" here on earth? What is the balance between "in" the world but not "of" it? (John 15:19; 17:13-16; 1 John 4:4-6).

In Australia we have a huge group of retired people called "Grey Nomads". They leave home for a few years, and take off in a caravan or some such form of mobile home and wander the country. Eventually they will return home again, but for the while they have this wonderful time of just wandering wherever they please, knowing that it is only for a term. They travel through all sorts of countryside, just looking,enjoying, but never taking root and probably never getting too involved in a particular community. I thing a believer who lives his life as an alien would be a bit like this - never too attached to the things of the world, always able to leave a situation behind and move on to the next, interacting vigorously with all the locals and offering his understanding, but not being bound to them. I think that like travellers everywhere they will love to meet up with fellow countrymen in strangeplaces, because they will feel the strong bonds of nationality (in the Kingdom of God). Like the ones that "still call Australia 'home'", they know their origins and look forward to returning there eventually, having retained their citizenship and connections by mail and phone.

If I travel to France I will be "In Paris, but not of it". My French won't be crack hot, and my habits and lifestyle will still be Aussie. My communication with Frenchmen will be nothing like the communication I have with other Australians and my major connections will still be in Australia. However, I will enjoy France immensely, knowing all the time that my time there is limited. I will be in France, but not French! The French will think me a little peculiar, and probably not invite me to all their social gatherings. When I return home I will understand something more than I did before of the French, but I will never be a Frenchman. I think my travel down here on earth is much like that. I actually belong elsewhere and find it difficult to explain Australia to the French (Heaven to the unrepentant). However, if one of them decided to migrate to Australia and become Australian, then I would have a great deal in common with this man and in many ways be in a position to help him, especially when he arrived here. This is directly similar to being in the world but not of it, being ,instead, a citizen of Heaven.

He would live a life of total devotion to God and His commandments,refusing to be drawn into the evils of the world but live a life of love and compassion. He would love his neighbor as himself, his enemy he would show love and compassion as a brother and neighbor.

19If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.

13And now come I to thee; and these things I speak in the world, that they might have my joy fulfilled in themselves.

14I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

15I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil.

16They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

4Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

5They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them.

6We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.

These verses tell us that we can't be in the world and in Christ, spiritually we must be in Christ and He in us to obtain what the Father has promised. If we live for the world doing the things of the world then we die in our sins. Jesus said come out from among them. We must live our life for Christ and not do the sins of the flesh. Anything not of faith is sin so we must have faith in Christ to strenghten us to live for Him and not the things of the world. I don't seen a balance it is either you are of one or the other we must choose Christ won't choose for us but He stand at the door and knocks any who hear His voise and opens He will enter in and sup with Him. We need Christ in us to over power the things of the world.

AS FOLLOWERS OF CHRIST, THE BOTTOM LINE IS WE ARE LIVING HERE ON THE EARTH WITH THE JOY OF KNOWING THIS IS NOT OUR FINAL HOME BUT ONLY A TEMPORARY HOME AS WE LOOK FORWARD TO ETERNAL LIFE WITH THE LORD. WE DO HAVE BLESSINGS AND PLEASURES HERE BUT WE MUST ALWAYS REMEMBER THAT THINGS HERE ARE TEMPORARY AND NOT REALLY THAT IMPORTANT UNLESS THEY HAVE AN INPACT ON OUR ETERNAL LIFE. WE CAN ENJOY GOD'S BLESSINGS HERE BUT WE MUST NEVER LET THEM GET IN THE WAY OF WHAT IS REALLY IMPORTANT IN OUR RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD.THANK YOU, LORD, FOR HELPING US SEE WHAT IS REALLY IMPORTANT AS WE LIVE IN THE WORLD BUT NOT OF THE WORLD. :rolleyes:

The characteristics of a believer who lives on earth as an alien and stranger, are that he is always in a state of waiting while sojournng here - waiting for his final residence in Heaven. He lives as one who is in this world with us, but he belongs to God and is of His heavenlyt kingdom. While here, he is waiting to go to his permanent home in heaven with his Lord.

An alien or stranger does not feel at home in this world. It's lusts and desires are unpalatable, it's wonton sinful pursuits grievous to God, His Holy Spirit and those seeking the Lord. As a result a believer should want to come out from among them (the world).

We do need to live in the world but we do not need to go along with the world's ways. To succeed we need to be strong in the Lord and the power of His might, thoroughly rooted and ground, anchored in His blessed hope. We must separate ourselves when we can and stay in fellowship with believers.

I believe we must first ask what is suppose to be "strange" (unfamiliar) to us about this world before we can become "alien" to it.

Undoubtable all christians have come out of the "world" its only human! First John chapter 2 helps to explain what Christians are to keep away from, that which is naturaly part of unsaved human psyche.

Do Not Love the World

15Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16For everything in the world

In practical terms, what would be the characteristics of a believer who lived his life as an "alien" and "stranger" here on earth?

The characteristics of a believer living as a stranger is the measuring stick we use to determine success. We measure success in terms of the spirit [b](love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control)[/b]. The world has a differant measuring stick, it is one of material posessions which determines success.

D.L Moody's ministry surpasses any of the ministries today, and he did it in the mid 1800's without the aid of radio, television, computer, or fast transportation. His ministry focused on the love of God and the truth found in John 3:16. His personal belief wat this, "I hold losely to the things of the world which I possess, because I never know when the LORD might require them of me."

The United States offers everyone a bit of freedom, I find it odd, that as Christians we seldom exercise the freedom of prayer, and worship untill it is threatened. The Sunday School class of teens I taught thought it was against the law to take their bibles to school. I informed them that they were terribly misinformed and challenged them to take thier bibles and open them up during free time for one month and see what happened. What happened is there is now a bible study club which meets during lunch time. If we do not exercise the freedoms we have they will soon dissapear without notice.

Darrell

If we as Christians lived our lives like strangers & sojourners here on earth, you would find us taking advantage of all earth has to offer, but longing to return to "home." After a short trip this summer, I can see how it wasn't home, but enjoyable. Each day I would pray & read the Bible because my heart was really back at home!

Being in the world--(or on my trip) I delighted in what I saw, conversations with loved ones, & some memory making times, but, not "of" the world--(not agreeing or doing all that my loving unbelieving family did or said) but longing to be back home again--all the while thinking of eternal things.

1) THEY ARE CONTRARY TO THE WAYS OF THIS WORLD. PHYSICALLY WE LIVE IN THIS WORLD, BUT OUR STANDARDS ARE NOT OF THIS WORLD. WE BELONG TO GOD EVEN THOUGH WE ARE IN THIS WORLD, WHILE THE NON-BELIEVERS BELONG TO THE CHRIST-DYING WORLD.

2) TO LIVE A RIGHTEOUS LIFE IN THIS WORLD AND NOT CONFORM TO THE WAYS OF THIS WORLD. WE BELONG TO GOD AND ANYONE WHO KNOWS GOD UNDERSTANDS AND OBEYS HIM--NOT THE DICTATES OF THE WORLD.

Faith - believing God's word. Not conforming to the world. Looking for a better place.

The world is an enemy of God. We have come out of the world, when we choose to follow Jesus, so we don't belong to the world and will always be opposed. We are greater than the world because of Whom lives in us and greater than he who lives in the world.

We must keep our minds set on things above and not on earthly things. Jesus is the way!!!!!!!

Q2. (Hebrews 11:13b) In practical terms, what would be the characteristics of a believer who lived his life as an "alien" and "stranger" here on earth?

The characteristics of a believer living his life as an alien and a stranger here on earth would be that this earth is foreign territory to the believer because the believers eyes, mind and heart are set for God's heavenly kingdom. The believer lives his/her life keeping his/her eyes on the prize, eternal life with the Father.

What is the balance between "in" the world but not "of" it? (John 15:19; 17:13-16; 1 John 4:4-6).

The balance between in the world but not of the world means that I have to be on this earth but I will not become conformed to the ways of the world. I will live my life using the examples of Christ my Savior and Redeemer. My life belongs to God for I have surrendered it over to him so my dedication to the Kingdom of God is where my heart is and where my focus is in being an obedient child and carrying out the duties of my father.

They know that this world is not there home, they can not live here forever. They know that it is best for them not to be attached to this world's desire and possession. They can only move on God's command.

We should be in the world but out of the world, this means we should shine for the world and not do as the worldly people do. We are the salt and light of this world.

We would be aliens on this earth living as Christians because we are not conforming to what the world wants us to do. We take a stand against what is morally wrong yet we are criticized for what we beleive.

Being in the world is making a stand for what we believe if we become of the world well we become just one of the crowd and sell out our beleif.

Bit like the fish that swim 'upstream' against the fish that go with the flow 'downstream'

In practical terms, what would be the characteristics of a believer who lived his life as an "alien" and "stranger" here on earth?

1) Always living life as on a mission, knowing that once the mission is complete you'll

be going home

2) Getting on with daily life, but yet looking to the future of moving to a new home

3) Waiting for the love of your life to come and take you away

4) Going about the family business and making sure you help it grow so one day you

can go leave and hear " well done good and faithful servant

5) etc, etc, etc

* Living your life in the fullest in on earth and with the characteristics of Jesus and yet not be

so heavenly minded that your no earthly good.

As a Christian my citizenship is in Heaven, that is where I am heading. For a season I am living on this planet, in this world. I am in this world until my departure date. Meanwhile, I live according to Heavenly, Godly values taught in God's Holy Scripture, in this world. I live in this world, but my values, alliegiance and heart are Heavenly.

To live every day to the fullest, always seeking His Kingdom and His righteousness and working towards that goal.

What is the balance between "in" the world but not "of" it?

Physically we are here, there is no doubt about that. So I think always seeking the kingdom in the spiritual must be the key to being able to live here, knowing there is a better place beyond earths boundaries.

The characteristics of a believer who lives his life as an "alien" or "stranger" here on earth are, regconizing that this present earth is not his permanent home, but that his citizenship is in heaven and eventually the new earth.

The balance between "in" the world but not "of" the world is that eventho we physically live on this present earth, we don't have to conform to its current lifestyle.

• 2 weeks later...

As an alien and stranger to the world, we should live our life as followers of Christ, setting an example of what our faith represents. We are in the world (we abide here) but not of the world (we do not conform to the material ways of the world).

An alien here on earth does not enjoy the rights of the world,

they are foreign to him. The worlds pleasures are "SELF" first and working hard to please "SELF" second. The foundation of "pleasure" is SIN.

What is the balance between "in" the world but not "of" it?

We being an alien, a God fearing believer who does not have the same rights of the world, but who are living here, do not have a close fellowship with the citizens of the world and the results being, they hate us.

Living "IN" the world, we find the pleasures of earth are alien to us, but, we at the same time are to be a light to the world, so they can see what real joy and real pleasure are. To let them see that they do not come from the things of earth!

We are living "IN" the world to be that example of what real joy is, by living a life of perseverance, by our continuing on in our goals, goals that please God and not "Self." This joy is everlasting, it isn't superficial, nor short lived, even though the world hates us, we love them, and want them to know this joy that passess all understanding, and where they can find it, in the Lord Jesus Christ.

We have been given a permanent citizenship, in a new city, where there will be peace and joy everlasting, New Jeruselem.

(John 15:19; 17:13-16; 1 John 4:4-6).

Some of these characteristics of a believer would, as I said before this, be not getting too attached to earthly or worldly things; to keep running the race before us with our eyes on the goal of being with the Lord Jesus Christ forever in eternal life as our finish line; keep growing in our knowledge and wisdom in the Lord and His Word to us; to obey Him in doing His will for us; getting our minds off of concerns for worldly things and onto things of the above of heavenly glory (Philippians 4:8-9); and, as did the Apostle Paul,