JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<_< The Passover Meal was to remind the Jews of God's redemption of them from slavery in Egypt. The Last Supper is to remind us of our redemption from the sin of the World. Both required trust and obedience on the part of the partakers. The Passover was for only the Jews. The Last Supper is for all believers.

I would say that there is a big difference in the meal itself. The Jewish passover meal included unleavened bread with bitter herbs, a fruit puree, and of course the wine. To my knowledge, most congregations today have a much simpler Lord's Supper consisting of a small wafer and either one tiny cup of wine or grape juice.

The Passover meal to the Jews as a reminder of Gods redemtion of them from Egypt consisted of unleavened bread with bitter herbs and fruit and wine and the initial sacrifice of the Pascal Lamb.. Five offerings were performed in the tabernacle, they were sin offering, quilt or reparation offering, burnt offering, peace or fellowship offering and grain offering, most of these offerings were atonement for sins.

The Last supper was a special passover meal for the Deciples, done on passover. From all the reading I have done The calendar we used today was completely different from the one they used in Jesus days. Jesus partook of the Last Supper before He died upon the cross for our sins

As I study this and read the bible study, I think of out troops overseas away from family and friends during this special time of the year. Please keep them in your prayers.

The Passover meal consisting of unleavened bread, bitter herbs and wine, and the yearling unblemished lamb eaten in haste, with the staff in one hand and the robe tucked under the belt was to remind the Children of Israel of their Exodus from slavery in Egypt. They would have remembered all that transpired when Moses had tried to get Pharaoh to let them go. But that God had hardened his heart and had finally had the Angel of death kill all the firstborn except the Children of Israel who had put the blood on the door.

Today we remember all of that plus the redeeming work of Jesus on the Cross. We know that this is a new covenant given by Jesus at the Last Supper and we can remember the first one when God had Abraham dig the trench and kill the animal and let its blood run into it and then walked in it and said when the Covenent is broken He would pay the price.

Now, our mean is symbolic. The Pastor reads the appropriate phrases and we partake of a wafer (or pita bread) and juice or wine once we have put our hearts in the correct attitude. Once we have once again accepted Jesus atoning work on the Cross and accepted his offer and given our lives to Him again in return.

But we know the whole story, it has been written for us to know, at least what God wants us to know at this time. It is there for us to study and learn if we will only search it out.

I've thought more, when we partake of the Lords Supper we remember how Jesus took on all the sins of the world and that night in Gethseneme. I think of that serene picture we are all so familiar with and how the Bible description of that time does not describe serenity at all. Jesus was scared, as any of us would have been who knew what was about to happen. He was after all fully human as well as fully God. It is hard to understand that, but He was. He asked the Father to take the cup away, but not as I will. He was willing to accept whatever the Father wanted even the cruel Roman Cross because He loved us that much. Could you face that for the whole world? Could I? When I partake of the Lord's Supper I remember all that and I am humbled. I am faced with my unworthiness. But then none of us is worthy of what Jesus did that day 2000 years ago.

So our symbolic meal of a wafer and juice is just a reminder of all that transpired so long ago and how we should live with our bags packed and ready to go when it is time because we never know the day or the hour when He may appear again. Only the Father knows.

I've thought even further. The Lord's Supper is about faith and I just read Neil Anderson's Devotional today which said we have faith that the sun will be there always but not about the Son. Isn't that a disappointing testimony for todays American? Too many do not have faith about the Son. Those of us who do need to reach out somehow to those who do not. Jesus went out to the sinners of the world. After all he came for the sinners of the world. He hung out with prostitutes and thieves and beggers. Would we feel comfortable sitting in Church with those people sitting beside us? Would we ask them to leave while we partook of the Lords Table?

Thinking further, after reading Oswald Chambers about hypocracy in ourselves, that is something we need to watch out for when we partake of the Lord's Supper today. We have all that I have spoken of before, but our hearts must be right when we partake, else we are in a state of sin when we partake of the Lord's Supper. It is a time to pray and to remember the atoning sacrifice work of Jesus as well as the history that led up to his atoning work. It is a time to renew your acceptence of His offer and a renewal of your offer of your life to Him.

The Passover meal was to celebrate the passing of the angel of death over the houses of the Israelites the night before they were released from slavery by the Egyptians. Like the Last Supper, it reminds us of events that took place before the people of God were liberated from slavery. One of the main difference between the two, is the fact that the Last Supper was the advent of a liberation on a grander scale. The Last Supper is a celebration not just for Israelites but for everyone who believes that we have been liberated from our bondage to sin and for paying the price of death because of our sins.

Greetings All!

In general, both meals are to be celebrated in fellowship. In other words, these aren't to be separate events in our daily lives, but a part of them done, perhaps, in a special way.

The difference is seen in that the Passover meal was very ritualized whereas Jesus simply commands us to "do this in rememberance of Me."

Dave

Q2. Compare the annual Jewish Passover celebration meal in Jesus' day with the Christian's celebration of the Lord's Supper. Where are the similarities? Where are the differences?
The Jewish Passover celebrated their freedom from slavery. The meal consisted of things that symbolized what it was that they where saved from, and how they where saved. As they ate the meal, they used hyms, readings, etc to further remind them the meaning behind the meal itself.

Today, use the Lord's Supper to remind us of what Jesus did for us. We use it to celebrate our freedom from the slavery of sin. As we partake of the bread and the wine, we think of Jesus body and blood given for us. We also pray and sing hyms as we do this.

As I think of the differences, I am only led to one point. The Jews where celebrating their freedom as a single group or nation of people. We now celebrate as members of many nations. And we new celebrate a freedom far greating than the freedom from physical slavery.

The passover meal consisted of unleavened bread, puree, herbs wine and a yearling lamb. The Lord's supper consists of a wafer of bread and wine or grape juice. So there is a difference in the items of the meal consumed. The original passover meal was instituted to commemorate the redemption of the the people of Israel from slavery in Egypt when the angel of death passed over the households of the Israelites the frames of whose doors were smeared with the blood of freshly killed lambs. The Lord's supper which Christians celebrate today is an institution whose purpose is to commemorate the redemption of the world by the death of Jesus on the cross for our salvation

Compare the annual Jewish Passover celebration meal in Jesus' day with the Christian's celebration of the Lord's Supper. Where are the similarities? Where are the differences? As I read of the Passover being celebrated, in Jesus's day, what strikes me is the fact it was only celebrated in Jerusalam, once a year. It was done, in remembrance of the night the death Angel passed over the homes of God's people in Egypt. It was also a reminder of the covenant God had with His people. The lamb, eaten, being a "for-shadow" of Jesus, the Perfect, un-spotted Lamb, who was to come. The people would travel for day's...even week's, to make this pilgrimage. The last supper, was the beginning of the new covenant, when Jesus said "Eat of my body.....Drink of my blood..." Today, we can have "communian" with Jesus spiritually, everytime we partake of the bread & wine. Yes, as someone prior said, it is a time of fellowship with other believers, but I also believe we can have this experience even alone! Some of the richest times, in taking communian for me, have been when its just been myself & the Lord. This time of year, for me, always signifies "New life...a New beginning" It's my favorite time of year....Winter is over, the tree's & flowers are budding, & my heart rejoice's, in remembrance of the New life Jesus gave to me! :lol:

Compare the annual Jewish Passover celebration meal in Jesus' day with the Christian's celebration of the Lord's Supper. Where are the similarities? Where are the differences?

In my opinion, the similarities between the Jewish Passover Meal and the Christian's celebration of the Lords Supper..is to be thankful to God..The passover meal representing Blood and God "passing over" the Israelites showing mercy...Us celebrating the Lord's supper..representing flesh and Blood and recieving mercy as well...

The differences are..is that the Jewish passover is an annual celebration of historic value..still the Jewish community to this day does not believe Christ or the messiah has come yet...so the passover meal has completely different meaning in many senses than the Lord's Supper. We as Christians celebrate the Lords Supper as often as we like..some every week, some quaterly..but the fact is it is a celebration for Christians that believe that Christ died for us. We eat his "flesh" and drink his "blood" in remeberance of what he has done for us....

Q2. Compare the annual Jewish Passover celebration meal in Jesus' day with the Christian's celebration of the Lord's Supper. Where are the similarities? Where are the differences? Exposition

Blessings to everyone~~~

The Jews were instructed to celebrate the Passover annually,to celebrate and commemorate God redeeming them from slavery in Egypt.The Jews sacrifice a lamb and spread the lambs blood on their doorways so when the angel of death went through, the death which was to be of each 1st born male child and animal did not touch those families,This being called The Passover.

Jesus Christ is our Passover Lamb,which was given by God.Jesus Christ our Savior is coming back.

The Christians today celebrate the Lords Supper in receiving communion as Jesus Christ has instructed us to do,receiving the bread as His body and receiving the wine as His blood.In doing this Jesus intented us to remember His death as a sacrifice for our sins.

The diffrence was,the Jews Passover was to celebrate and commemorate God redeeming them from slavery in Egypt.

The Lords Supper is to remember the death of Jesus Christ,and His sacrifice for our sins today.Jesus death and sacrifice is for everyone who believes He died for the sins of the whole world,this means for each and everyone of us he shed his blood for.

Im not sure if the way I explained this is all the way right so please forgive me if not completly correct, but I did this to the best of my knowledge and thoughts.

Both Jews and Christians celebrate God setting us free, bringing us out of slavery. Jews celebrate an event much further back in history than the one 2000 years ago. It's the remembrance part that makes the difference - do this in remembrance of me. Remembering that God in the person of Jesus gave his life so that we could be put right with Him - we are privileged to see this in the light of the resurrection & can be joyful.

Comparsion of the annual Jewish Passover celebration meal in Jesus' day with the christian's celebration of the Lord's supper.

Jews celebrated the Passover annually to remember their delivery from slavery in Egypt. Christian remember the sacrifice of Jesus for the sin of many by the shedding of his blood. There seem to be more food during the Jewish celebration. We now have the bread and the wine.

When we take a look at the Jewish and the christian celebration there is deliverance in both celebration. The Jews from the bondage of slavery and christian from the bondage of sin. Thank you God for the giving of your son for us!

Q2. Compare the annual Jewish Passover celebration meal in Jesus' day with the Christian's celebration of the Lord's Supper. Where are the similarities? Where are the differences?

Similarities between the Jewish Passover and the Christian celebration of the Lord

In Jesus Day the meal was celebrated by the Jews to Our Heavenly Father for the redemption of slavery in Egypt.

Today the meal is celebrated by everyone to Jesus, In remembrance of His sacrifice, of His suffering to redeem us through His blood and body.

+ God required the Jews to celebrate the "Passover" so they would never forget when and how they were saved by God.

+ As Christians we are to celebrate "The Last Supper" as a reminder of our Lord and Savior Jesus' death for our salvation.

The annual Jewish Passover celebration meal in Jesus' Day included bitter herbs, unleavened bread, fruit puree, Paschal lamb and wine. Our celebration of the Lord's Supper today includes bread and grape juice for wine in Protestant churches. In comparison, the similarities are the bread and wine. The difference is the reason for celebration. The Passover meal was to celebrate the passing over of the death angel and sparing of the first born sons of Israel. Our partaking of the Lord's Supper is to come to His table, knowing that His body, symbolized by the bread, was broken for us and his blood, symbolized by the wine, was shed for us. Love and prayers, Luray

The first was relative to rememberance... and became a ritual. The second was revelative to rememberance and also became a ritual. I read what RETIRE wrote and I agree with his statement. And I love the way Mike gave a lesson. Wow! We are to be reminded of what God did for them then and what He did for us on the cross... but in our rememberance it is never to be taken lightly. Jesus did not do it out of habit; we should not either. Whether a whole days preparation for a meal, or sacrifices offered, or eating a wafer and drinking juice... prepare your heart... make ready for partaking in such a Priveledge Given. And Remember why we partake. Believing (Faith), Repentence, Obedience, Discipline... and to give God the Glory for He hath remembered us.

Thank You Jesus for such love. Sunshine

:D The Last Super Christ had with his disciple and the Lord's Super we have today- Christ broke the bread to represent His body.

Christ asked his disciple to drink the wine to represent His blood.

We break the bread (broken body) and drink the wine (sheading His blood) to help us remember what Christ did for us.

Difference-Christ told His disciple that the blood was to redeem many the bondage of sins.

We have the Lord's Super to remember what He did for us.