JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Holiness and Salvation

• 2 months later...

Q4. (Hebrews 12:14-17) Is the writer of Hebrews teaching salvation by being holy? Why or why not?

The writer of Hebrews is not teaching salvation by being holy. The writer teaches that we are not saved by being holy but rather that, we are saved by the sacrifice of Jesus for our sins. He contends that if we are saved, it will be our desire to be holy and our lives will gradually become more and more like Christ's.

Can habitual sin deprive us of heaven? If so, how?

Yes, habitual sin can deprive us of heaven. Both 1 Corinthians 6:9-11 and Galatians 5:19-21 tells us that the unrighteous, those who engage in sin 'shall not inherit the kingdom of God.'

9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, 10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God. 1 Corinthians 6:9-11(KJV)

19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, 21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Galatians 5:19-21(KJV)

• 4 weeks later...
Q4. (Hebrews 12:14-17) Is the writer of Hebrews teaching salvation by being holy? Why or why not? 1 Corinthians 6:9-11 and Galatians 5:19-21. Can habitual sin deprive us of heaven? If so, how?

The readers were familiar with the ceremonial cleansing ritual that prepared them for worship, and they knew that they had to be Holy or in order to enter the temple. Sin always blocks our vision of God; so if we want to see God, we must renounce sin and obey Him ( see Psalm 24: 3,4 ) Holiness is coupled with living in peace. A right relationship with God leads to right relationships with fellow believers.

Esau's story shows us that mistakes and sins sometimes have lasting consequences ( Genesis 25:29-34, 27,38 ) Even repentance and forgiveness do not always eliminate sin's consequences. How often do we make decisions based on what we want now, rather than on what we need in the long run.

Paul emphasizes God's action in making believers new people. The three aspects of God's work are all part of our salvation: our sins were washed away, we were set apart for special use ( "sanctified " ) and we are pronounced not guilty ( "justified " ) for our sins

In a per missive society it is easy for Christians to overlook or tolerate some immoral behaviors (greed , drunkenness, etc. ) while remaining outraged at ( homosexuality, thievery ) We must not participate in sin or condone it in any way, nor may we be selective about what we condemn or excuse. Staying away from more "acceptable" forms of sin is difficult, but it is no harder for us than it was for the Corinthians. God expects His followers in any age to have high standers. To become Holy and live a Holy life we must follow in Christ's footsteps and really set our heart to live a pure and Holy life. It may not be easy but In Rev. it says we are to be overcomers. The Bible is our instructions in how to accomplish it.

No, salvation is not by works. The desire for being holy in our lives shows that we desire to be more like Jesus & to grow to be more like Him.

Habitual sin as related in the Corinthian & Galatian passages shows that we were probably not really saved if we continually choose to live a lifestyle of sin, therefore we would not be going to heaven. A true Christian looks forward to the growth process, knowing they will be drawn into a closer, deeper relationship with our Lord!

Q4. (Hebrews 12:14-17) Is the writer of Hebrews teaching salvation by being holy? Why or why not? 1 Corinthians 6:9-11 and Galatians 5:19-21. Can habitual sin deprive us of heaven? If so, how?

Make every effort to live in peace with all men and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord. 15 See to it that no one misses the grace of God and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many.

This is the point of Christ's gospel, ministry, and purpose that is most misunderstood. Out of love for his creation, God sent his Son as a living sacrifice for our sins. That is the grace of God, the forgiveness of our sins. If our sins were not forgiven there would be no need for the LORD to go to the trouble of building a place in heaven for us because ALL HAVE SINNED AND FALLEN SHORT OF THE GLORY OF THE LORD. But through the sacrifice of ONE all may experience the glory.

See that no one misses the grace of God is not that we preach to one another but to show the same forgiveness toward one another that God has shown toward us. Make every effort to live in peace with one another. He doesn't say make a little effort but every effor to live in peace with one another. Luke 12:48 "But the one who does not know and does things deserving punishment will be beaten with few blows. From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked." Those who refuse to forgive will not be forgiven and those who accept the forgiveness are asked to show forgiveness. This is the road to being holy, I first admitted that I was a sinner, second I asked for forgiveness, and third I got my eye off myself and onto others. The quicker a person looks away from self to others the quicker healing comes.

Notice that these things are all self-centered things: "The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like." And these are are all other-centered things: "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control."

There is always two sides to a coin. If sacrifice on one side doesn't lead to righteousness on the other, maybe, just maybe, we are showing the wrong coin.

Darrell

I believe he is. Paul describes all the things that are of a sinful nature and of the consequences. He also tells about the fruits of the Spirit and rewards of these virtues. He is telling us the ways to be holy and what happens if we loose faith.

Habitual sin is like a slap in the face for Christ. No one will inherit the kingdom through immorality. We will suffer Spiritual death and not possess eternal salvation.

Salvation regenerates and sanctifies the work of the Holy Spirit. Wickedness inherits nothing.

We are saved by grace, not by anything that we can do, even if we could become holy.

Since we are sinners, that is we sin whether we want to or not, we need forgiveness by Christ to be made clean. If, however, we willingly sin, we become separated from God, living for the flesh. We are dead in our sins and the Lord no longer sees us nor hears us.

I believe he is saying we need to make every effort to be holy - by seeking peace with everyone, remaining sexualy pure and trying to remain godly in an ungodly world. However, whie we are still on earth we remain born into sin, and can only become holy, and in the image of Christ, once we are in Heaven. We can, while on earth, pursue the three things mentioned above in our "ethereal quest for holiness". We can only achieve "being on the path to holiness" while still here on earth. Habitual sin by people who know who God is and continually reject Him (apostacy) will deprive that person of Heaven. Once a true Christian becomes aware of his habitual sin and seeks to atone for his sins and believes he is covered by God's mercy and Jesus' sacrifice on the cross, he will automatically abandon his sinful ways. So yes, habitual sin without choosing to claim the redeeming grace of our Saviour's sacrifice on the cross, will deprive us of heaven.

I understand Gal. 5:19-21 to describe those of the "world" who are walking in darkness neither knowing nor believing into the Lord. They have NOT the Light so they continue in darkness. And in Ephesians we are told..."and such WERE some of you."

I don't believe the scriptures anywhere describes a salvation by any kind of works...therefore we can't earn salvation by being holy. Being holy by our own effort would just lead to pride. I believe according to scripture that it's our relationship with Christ whereby God is able to, increasingly, undo sin in our life and begin the work of holiness within us(Romans 8:29).

Having said that a Christian is still prone to walk in the old ways by habit or decision from time to time. But we did nothing to earn our salvation and we can do nothing to "give it back". It's all God's work. And He is able and willing to keep hold of us.

I think that is what those passages are warning us not to do. It's a long process but time has no meaning in eternity.

Habitual sin will only deprive the "worldling" of heaven. And that only because of their rejection of the Savior. Rejecting the Savior is rejection of the God of Jesus. They reject Him and his payment for their sin therefore they must pay for their own sin.

"It is by Grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast." Ephesians 2: 8-9

I understand Gal. 5:19-21 to describe those of the "world" who are walking in darkness neither knowing nor believing into the Lord. They have NOT the Light so they continue in darkness. And in Ephesians we are told..."and such WERE some of you."

I don't believe the scriptures anywhere describes a salvation by any kind of works...therefore we can't earn salvation by being holy. Being holy by our own effort would just lead to pride. I believe according to scripture that it's our relationship with Christ whereby God is able to, increasingly, undo sin in our life and begin the work of holiness within us(Romans 8:29).

Having said that a Christian is still prone to walk in the old ways by habit or decision from time to time.

I think that is what those passages are warning us not to do. It's a long process but time has no meaning in eternity.

Habitual sin will only deprive the "worldling" of heaven. And that only because of their rejection of the Savior. Rejecting the Savior is rejection of the God of Jesus. They reject Him and his payment for their sin therefore they must pay for their own sin.

"It is by Grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast." Ephesians 2: 8-9

1) No, we are not saved just by being holy, e are save by Christ dyng on the cross to save us from ousins; but we must become holy to see God. We must live holy lives like Christ lived. We must learn to live in peace, have sexual purity and live a Godly life.

2) Yes, we can't continue to sin day after day knowing what the Word of God says and expect to go to Heaven. 1st Corinthians 6: 9-11 & Galatians 5:19-21 makes it very clear that Heaven will not be your home if you continue to indulge in these things.

1) No, we are not saved just by being holy, we are saved by Christ dyng on the cross to save us from our sins; but we must become Holy to see God. We must live holy lives like Christ lived. We must learn to live in peace, have sexual purity and live a Godly life.

2) Yes, we can't continue to sin day after day knowing what the Word of God says and expect to go to Heaven. 1st Corinthians 6: 9-11 & Galatians 5:19-21 makes it very clear that Heaven will not be your home if you continue to indulge in these things.

Sins always blocks our vision with God; so if we want to see God, we must renounce sin and Obey Him. Holiness is coupled with living in peace. A right relationship with God leads to right relationships with fellow believers, we must pursue peace as we become more like Christlike.

Salvation is not by works, it is a gift from God through His Son dying on the cross.

When we receive this gift and realize how depraved we are, this leads to repentance and totally clinging to the crucified Christ then we see the fruit of righteousness [Philippians 1.11], good works [Col 1.10], thanksgiving [Heb 13.15], of the Spirit [Gal 5.22-23].

As 1Peter 2.9 tells us 'you are a chosen nation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that you should show forth the praises of Him who has called you out of darkness into his marvellous light'.

The verses from Galatians and 1Corinthians in this question tells us if we want to live in habitual sin we will be deprived of heaven. God cannot have sin in His presence, He detests sin.

heb:14Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:

15Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled;

16Lest there be any fornicator, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright.

17For ye know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears.

1 Cor 5: 9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

10Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

11And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

Gal. 6: 19Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

20Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

21Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

I believe that these verses tell us what not to live by, we are all sinners at heart and with out the love of Christ we would all be lost. We are made to be holy but are born into sin there fore we can't be without help and that help is the death of Christ on the cross for all our sins not just the one we done before we accepted Him as Lord over our lives but also the daily failures that we are prone to do as we struggle to live our daily lives. We are ato live at peace with all men but at times this is impossible that is why we have wars and prisons. We struggle to live holy live but till Christ come and takes sin out of the world then we live as best we can in the holiness that the Spirit of Christ put in us. We need to grow in faith and there fore become holy thru the Spitit of Christ.

Q4. (Hebrews 12:14-17) (The Message)

14-17Work at getting along with each other and with God. Otherwise you'll never get so much as a glimpse of God. Make sure no one gets left out of God's generosity. Keep a sharp eye out for weeds of bitter discontent. A thistle or two gone to seed can ruin a whole garden in no time. Watch out for the Esau syndrome: trading away God's lifelong gift in order to satisfy a short-term appetite. You well know how Esau later regretted that impulsive act and wanted God's blessing

Q4. (Hebrews 12:14-17) Is the writer of Hebrews teaching salvation by being holy?

No, the writer states that we are not saved by being holy.

Why or why not?

He states that the only way to salvation is by the sacrifice that Jesus made to save us from our sins.

1 Corinthians 6:9-11 and Galatians 5:19-21. Can habitual sin deprive us of heaven?

Habitual sin can deprive us of Heaven. If we continually and willfully commit the same sins over and over we are no longer children of God.

If so, how?

When we deliberately commit the same sin over and over, we are turning our back on God. :rolleyes:

The writer of Hebrews is not teaching salvation by holiness. However, if I love God, I want to please Him; I want have a relationship with Him and I want to reflect His holiness in my life. I must desire and strive to practive holiness in my daily life and be open to the conviction of the Holy Spirit.

The question is, if I live in habitual sin am I really saved. Do I really have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. When I have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit is actively working in my life and my life is changing according to that inter-work. If I have no actual relationship with Jesus Christ, there is no Holy Spirit in my life and their is no change in my life going on. Even though I might claim a knowledge of Jesus Christ, I am still a natural man.

Is the writer of Hebrews teaching salvation by being holy?

* The author talked about the fruit of holiness that comes through the Lord's discipline. Now he exhorts them to live holy lives

Why or why not?

1) "Make every effort to live in peace with all men and to be holy; without holiness

no one will see the Lord." (12:14)

2) "Holiness" (hagiasmos) is a "personal dedication to the interests of the deity,

holiness, consecration, sanctification."25 From earliest times, God had commanded,

"Be holy, because I am holy" (Leviticus 11:45b). Holiness is not an option.

Twice the Apostle Paul warns his readers against profligacy and unrestrained sin.

Can habitual sin deprive us of heaven?

* Yes

If so, how?

* Our writer is suggesting that the Hebrew Christians, if they don't value the sacrifice

of Jesus Christ for their sins, are teetering on the brink of abandoning for the sake

of comfort their "birthright" as sons of God. Twice in this letter, the author suggests

that if they were to turn back, they won't be able to return again even if they wanted

to32 (here and 6:6). If they apostatize, they face rejection by God, apodokimazō, "to

regard as unworthy or unfit and therefore to be rejected, reject."33

Salvation comes to us through Jesus Christ' sacrifice for our sins, by the Grace of God our Father....not our works at all..

To commit sin habitually without regard to the Word of God, is sin on top of sin. A true believer will not do this, but a young believer will need time to over come the sins in his life....I am relieved to know that the Word also says, our Father will finish the good work He has begun in me...which to me means He will KEEP me from my own weakness or sins for the process of Sanctification is lengthy...not an overnight action. I feel repentance helps us to overcome, and if our hearts are sincere and we are truly making an effort to overcome our bad habits...He will enable us to over come them. Failures will happen, but God is patient and he is also loving and understanding...I guess the sin of unbelief is one that is difficult for us sometimes, for we are not always sure of what God is saying to us....and we can err in our understanding of our own hearts....for they are deceitful too....

• 2 weeks later...

The writer of Hebrews isn't teaching salvation by being holy. We are not saved by being holy, but through the crucifixion of Christ for our sins. Salvation is not acheived by works, but through the grace of God.

Anyone who says they have accepted Christ yet continues in a lifestyle of sin, would make me question if that person is truly saved. A true Christian gradually has the desire to sin less and less as he matures in the faith. As long as we are in this world, we are going to sin. After all, we are human. That's why God gave us I John 1:9 " If we sin, He is faithful and just to forgive us and cleanse us of all unrighteousness." However, there is a difference between unintentionally committing a sin then asking God's forgiveness and purposely sinning, then having the attitude, 'God's going to forgive me anyway so it really doesn't matter.' I've known Christians who have claimed it didn't matter if they sinned because they were saved by grace. An attitude like this only cheapens the blood of Christ.

He is teaching that if we truly live for Christ, we will do everything we can to be holy, to follow Jesus. Yes, habitual sin can deprive us of heaven. If we choose to turn our back on Jesus, whether or not we've previously accepted him as our Lord and Savior, we are rejecting him.

No, salvation only comes from believing, trusting, and accepting the Lord Jesus as our Lord and Savior; but being holy comes afterwards as we seek to thank and please our great God whom has given us so great a salvation. 1 Corinthians 6:9-11 describes some of the ways we were sinful before we were saved by the Lord Jesus Christ; but since we have been washed in His blood, sanctified by Him, and justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Holy Spirit, we have been made holy before Him. Galatians 5:19-21 shows the same things before we were

Q4. (Hebrews 12:14-17 Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled; Lest there be any fornicator, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright. For ye know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears.

Is the writer of Hebrews teaching salvation by being holy? Why or why not?

We do not receive salvation by being holy, holiness is the by-product of salvation. Holiness comes through our "faith" in Christ Jesus, who clothed us with His righteousness, however, we now must put on His righteousness daily; By so doing, we show God our love for our Bridegroom and our thankfulness to God for loving us so much, that He sent this gift of salvation.

There are many people who think they are holy because they do not do the abominations that the world does, however, we have all sinned and are in need of a Savior. True holiness comes when we come to the reality of our need for a savior, we need to be clothed in His righteousness, what we think of as holiness, is as filthy rags to God. No one is good, but God.

1 Corinthians 6:9-11 and Galatians 5:19-21. Can habitual sin deprive us of heaven? I would say, YES habitual sin can deprive a christian of heaven.

If so, how?

Christ Jesus sacrifice once for all for the sins of the world, came to us at a great cost.

How could one have "faith" in such a gift of eternal life and than deliberately trample on it? Jesus tells us in (John 15: 10) "If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love." Jesus tells us, "if anone loves Him He will keep His word; and The Father will love him. and we will come to Him and make our home with Him."

The first commandment for the New Covenant is to love the Lord God first, and how do we do that? We strive to keep His commandments. We who are under the new covenant are not perfected, when we sin, we can repent and ask forgiveness, for Jesus death and resurrrection coverd our sin. The key word is - PRACTISE we are not to PRACTISE sin, we are to be lead by the Spirit unto good works!

The writer of Hebrews is saying because we are saved we need to live Holy. Before Adam sinned in the Garden of Eden, Man could make the choice if he was going to sin or not. Because Adam choice to sin, he put all man in a place where no matter if he wanted to or not, everything man did, equated to sin. Once we get saved we are back at a point where we can choose to sin or not. Jesus asks for our hearts because God changes man from the inside to the outside. So because our hearts have been changed through the blood of Jesus Christ, our actions will change.

I feel that if we habitually sin without asking God to forgive us our sins, then there has been no heart change done in us. We need to get hold of God and ask Him to change our hearts so we can get saved. The devil convinced Eve to get Adam to sin, so that it didn