JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Psalm 19

Q2. (Psalm 19) Verses 1 to 6 seem very different from verses 7 to 13, but there is a common thread that relates the first part to the second part. What is it? In what way does the psalmist seem to bask in God's Word? Have you ever felt that way? How does the psalmist's wonder in creation seem to affect him in this psalm? In the classic prayer of verse 14, what is David asking God to do?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Psalm 19) Verses 1 to 6 seem very different from verses 7 to 13, but there is a common thread that relates the first part to the second part. What is it? In what way does the psalmist seem to bask in God's Word? Have you ever felt that way? How does the psalmist's wonder in creation seem to affect him in this psalm? In the classic prayer of verse 14, what is David asking God to do?

[/quote

In this Psalm , David's steps of meditation take him from creation, through God's Word, through David's own sinfulness, to salvation. As God reveals Himself through nature. We learn about His power and our finiteness. As God reveals Himself through Scripture ( 19: 7-11 ) we learn about His holiness and our sinfulness, As God reveals Himself through daily experiences ( 19: 12-14 ) , we learn about His gracious forgiveness and our salvation.

( 19: 1-6 ) We are surrounded by fantastic displays of God's craftsmanship-the heavens give dramatic evidence of His existence, His power, His love, His care. to say that the universe happened by chance is absurd. Its design, intricacy, and orderliness point to a personally involved Creator. As you look at God's handiwork in nature and the Heavens, Thank Him for such magnificent beauty and truth it reveals about the creator.

( 19: 7-13 ) When we think of the law, we often think of something that keeps us from having fun. But here we see the opposite- law that revives us; makes us wise, gives joy to the heart, gives light to the eyes, warns us, and rewards us. That's because God's laws are guidelines and lights for our path, rather than chains on our hands and feet. They point at danger and warn us, then point at success and guide us.

Many Christians are plagued by guilt. They worry that they may have committed a sin unknowingly, done something good with selfish intentions, failed to put their whole heart into a task. God fully and completely forgives us- even for those sins we do unknowly.

Would you change the way you live if you knew that every word and thought would be examined by God first? David asks that God approve his words and thoughts as though they were offerings brought to the Altar As we begin each day, determine that God's love will guide what you say and how you think.

Everything was created from the Word of God - God said, Let there be and creation appeard. God's Word never returns void but continues to perform what it was sent to perform, therefore we see the universe continue to expand. Though the Hubble telescope you can see galaxies billions of light years away. God's expanding heavens is greater than what we can see with our eyes, yet man is always drawn there. There is an old saying that a picture is worth a thousand words. Sometimes a picture says more than what we can express in words. So the psalmist says of the heavens. It speaks of the awesomeness of our God. For the created is not greater than the creator.

After admiring the manifested Word of God, the psalmist then turns to the written Word of God. After seeing the majesty of the spoken Word of God that continues to give God glory, the paalmist looks at the benifits of studying the written Word of God. He knew that the written Word is life changing, reaving things in our lives that are not true and replacing them with Truth - Jesus Christ. I so love the Word. It reveals the truth of who God and in doing so I find the truth about myself in the scriptures. The spirit of the word gives life.

David ends with "May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer." David knows that God not only hears what you say, but also hears what you meditate - think upon. In his prayer he is reminding himself not only to speak the right words, but meditate upon the truth in your heart. What you meditate upon you become.

God's word is the consistent thread. It tells of the wonders of God in the first 6 verses, and instructs us in the second half.

Bask - to enjoy being in pleasant warmth: The Psalmist not only uses the sun as imagery which immediately conjurs a feeling of warmth, but continues the metaphor by using words associated with the sun and warmth like heat, light and shine.

I have definitely felt times when I have felt the warmth of God's love, times when I have been humbled by his power to love and forgive me when I have strayed from Him.

The Psalmists awe for God's creation is a journey. He takes in the awesomeness and extolls its virtues, lays out the order by which we are allowed to enjoy this creation, and then finds the self-awareness to see his own fallability and pray that he can always be worthy of God, his protetion and love.

David asks God to look not at what makes him unworthy, but rather to search his thoughts and actions for the best of intentions like a parent or teacher would do.

1. The common thread between the two is the glory of God and his creation. The first proclaims the wonder of the heavens He created and the second the perfection and resoluteness of his commandments.

2. He basks in verses 7-11 by proclaiming how perfect and wise His commandments are. This follows into the next section where he exclaims how His law can be the psalmist

it tells us of the glourios wonders of God and the second part gives us instructions to live a Godly life . he just admires everything little thing God does .like the stars and the whole universe .yes I felt that way just today Iwas looking at the clouds and just admiring God's work.the psalmist express his interesst in God's creation .. that God's love is warm like the sun ..we just bask in his love. david is asking God to make him christlike ..turn him inside out so to speak

1) The common thread between verse 1-6 and 7-13 is the glory of God and his creation. The second part (verse 7-13) explains to us how these actions should be done.

2) According to the dictionary, "bask" means - to lie or be exposed to a pleasant warmth (enjoy the pleasant situation). In

Psalm 19, He used many imagery such as the sun, light, joy to illustrate to us that with God having bask unto us, we will enjoy the presence of God's blessing.

3) Yes. I have felt this way before. With having God's light/pathway, it seems that everything go smoothly. It feels very comfortable and successful under His leadership.

4) He takes in the awesomeness requirement of God in his word and the psamlist issuddenly conscious of his own sins. The psalmist rightly observes that by ourselves we often cannot discern our own errors. We should pray for guidance.

5)David asks that God to guide and make sure that his words and thoughts are clean and pure. David wants to make sure that everything that he does will glorify His name. Thus, he ask Him to help him to guide his mouth and his heart to keep him be Christ like. :lol:

Verses 1-6 are proclaiming about the display of God's Glory, whereas verses 7-13 are more about man's perception of God's Glory, asking for God to preserve this perception so that it always glorifies Him. God's Glory is the common thread that runs throughout these verses. In the days when I used to be able to get away from all the distractions and disappear to the most remote places I could, I used to enjoy basking in this same environment...I was surrounded only by God's Glory, I brought nothing of the surrounding world with me, so there were no worldly distractions such as blaring radios etc.

The psalmist seems to be aware of his own insignificance in Creation, that he is powerless to prevent the pressures of the world from enveloping him and changing his actions. This is why he asks God to monitor his words and actions and to alert him when these things are not worthy of the God he loves and admires so much. The psalmist is fully aware that without God, he cannot withstand the ways of the world :)

The common theme in this psalm seems to be how God speaks to mankind through both "the heavens" (His creation) and The Torah (the written Word). The Psalmist appears to bask in God's Word through taking time to think and meditate on it. As he meditates he is overshelmed by God's knowledge of what his life is really like, for God knows all about us, including our sins and short comings. With this in mind in verse 14 the psalmist is asking God to act as his kinsman redeemer and to be the very source of his strength.

(Psalm 19) Verses 1 to 6 seem very different from verses 7 to 13, but there is a common thread that relates the first part to the second part. What is it? The first 13 verses are all about how communicates to us and then with us. In 1 through 6, God communes with us through his show of majesty through which all of creation testifies. In 7 through 13, God demonstrates his immeasurable character and moral attributes as just and righteous and how his words in his commandments are meant to be a beacon to follow as our just God endures forever. He is the only way.

In what way does the psalmist seem to bask in God's Word? The psalmist immortalizes his great love for the Father and its worth that far exceeds that which this world has to offer.

Have you ever felt that way? I have never known love except the love of the Father through Christ Jesus and the psalmist is correct, God's love surprasses all that this world has to offer.

How does the psalmist's wonder in creation seem to affect him in this psalm? When God communicates with us it is a reward, we find our hidden faults, we are exposed though he holds us blameless and innocent because is so eager to forgive.

In the classic prayer of verse 14, what is David asking God to do? David is asking God to find his words and meditations pleasing - for it is through pleasing God that we give him glory and he thus glorifies us. It is a wonderful rich and rewarding relationship full of favor and love.

Each day is new with different experinces happening, as is the bible, each time you read it you learn something new and gain experience. The sun gives us light to see and experience what has been created. The bible and learning about the Son, gives us light on how to live Godly lives. Creation shows Gods perfection and the word helps to show our imperfections and the need of grace. As sinful people we need help especially in todays western culture surrounded by much temptation.

1). (Ps. 19:1-6) Our understanding of God comes from the general revelation of Himself thru nature, which He created. (Ps. 7 - 13) speaks of the special revelation of His word and the particular work of God in one`s individual life.

2). The Psalmist appears to bask in God's Word by spending time to think and meditate His word. As he meditates he realized how much he needed God to provide an integrated understanding of life. He can gain similar insight to apply the spiritual disciplines of confession, bible study,and prayer to his own lives and finally bear to witness to what he have come to know, see and experience of God above, God around us and God within him.

3). Yes, I definitely felt the warmess love of God when I clinged to His word especially when I`m weak and down. It reveals the truth of who God is and the truth about myself is clearly shown on the scriptures. Indeed, the Spirit of the word gives life to enlightened and strengthen us when we trust in HIm.

4). He is asking the Lord to act as His redemeer , used as his source of wisdom and insight, lighting up the path of his journey through his spiritual dark world.

While the first part and the second part seem to be very different, they incorporate the ways that God speaks to us today. As we look at His creation, we should actually see God, His character, as well as His love for us who are also part of His wonderful creation. Not only should we be reminded of how glorious is His creation, but also that it is fallen; that sin has made it something that requires the redeeming power of Jesus Christ. This is the same message that we read and meditate on in His Word.

God has taken me through a two year journey where He intervened in my life and taught me to walk with Him as well as shown me how I fit into His creation. He taught me that He is sovereign and that I can depend on Him.

David had the same experience. God was speaking to him and showing that He is a part of this creation. David is created by God, but affected by sin, and requires a Redeemer to take him back into communion with God.

David is asking God to personally do what is needed to conquer sin. He is asking God to "be God" in his life. He is recognizing the power and promise of walking with God each moment.

1.The common thread is the Word of God. The first part reveals His creative Word displayed in the expanse of the universe! In the begining....God spoke & ''it was so''.Therefore the ''heavens '' declare His glory & echo His Words!The second part talks about His written Word as inspired by the Holy Spirit in the Bible. The psamist first soaks in the glory of God in the creation and then is filled with awe as he meditates on the Word of God !

2.Yes, I've felt that way many times.

3.The psalmist's wonder in creation enabled him to turn to God's written Word & meditate on it. This in turn brought about an inner enlightment, revival & reverence for God.

4. In vs 14, David is asking God to cleanse him & his thoughts & words so that it'll be acceptable

before God. He wants God to take delight in his thoughts and actions .

The psalmist has been relating how God speaks wordlessly through creation in verses 1-6. Now in verses 7-13, he shifts to how Yahweh speaks through his written Word.

In what way does the psalmist seem to bask in God's Word?

Each time someone looks up at the heavens -- day and night -- they receive a wordless but powerful message of God's greatness and glory.

Look at the benefits of meditation on the Word: the inner life of the soul is revived, the ignorant are made wise, the heart is gladdened, one's spiritual eyes are enlightened, reverence for God is extended forever, and their righteousness is readily apparent.

Have you ever felt that way?

Many times. Right now, as I am meditating on this Psalm from God

I believe that it would be that not only did God create all things including the universe. He also made the law by which each must associate with the other. He descided where the sun was to be where it would come up and go down. His laws are perfect.

He know that without Gods help he is nothing. He is dependant on God to help him keephis laws and not sin against Him. He knows that he is madeby God and that in that he owes God the respect and love to not break his laws,he also know that he is weak and must lean on God for the strength to keep His laws.

It makes him be in awe of his God and want to live pleasing to his. He wants God to protect him so that he will not lose sight of what his creator has done for him and made him to be.

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart

be pleasing in your sight,

O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer." (19:14)

I pray this prayer every day myself, to me it means that with out God help I have no chance to live a life pleasimg to Him. The world we live in is to full of distractions and temptations for us to be able to defeat on our own. I need God to watch over me and help me keep my thought life and the words of my mouth ones that will bring Him glory. Jesus said that out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. Help me Lord God to have a pure heart and only speak things that will lift up those I speak to.

That Godahas created all, He placed the sun, moon and stars exactly where He wanted them as He is all knowing God. Everything happens in His timing and all we need to do is look up and see the heavenly creations He has created and then we will understand.

The psalmist is feeling a calmness and experiencing the gentleness of the Creator

I feel this way many time, just to lie in the grass and look up at the heavenly creations

Asking God to guide him to constant obedience, to obey God always

Q2. (Psalm 19) Verses 1 to 6 seem very different from verses 7 to 13, but there is a common thread that relates the first part to the second part. What is it?

As I understood the lesson, Dr. Ralph said these parts were linked by a common existence as products of God's Word. As I read the Psalm though, I noted that the common thread was not that they were both created by God's Word, although that is most assuredly true. The common thread according to my reading in this context is that both creation and Bible point us to God. These sections of the Psalm tell me how creation and Bible evangelize, proclaim, declare and illustrate God for us teency-weency-made-in-the-Image-of-God humans.

Q2 continues: In what way does the psalmist seem to bask in God's Word? Have you ever felt that way? How does the psalmist's wonder in creation seem to affect him in this psalm?

I see the beauty of creation and the Bible driving David to passionate, joyful dedication to his relationship with God.

Q2 continues: In the classic prayer of verse 14, what is David asking God to do?

David would like to be an acceptable offering to God. In this prayer David asks God to make him fit for Heaven even on the earth. Sounds alot like another prayer, don't it?

The common thread that relates the first part to the second part in this Psalm 19 is the revealation of God in The creration of the world and His revealation in the Word, Scripture.

God's word revive us, makes us wise, brings joy to the heart. gives insight, warns us, and rewards us. God's laws are guideliness and lights for our path, rather than chains on our hands and feet. They point at dangers to warn us and then point at success to guide us.

Yes I have felt like that when I read God's word. It is so rich that I canot do without it.

The Revealation of God in the Creation should affect even us in that we can not say the Universe happened by chance, that is an absurd. Its design, infricacy, and orderliness poin to a personaly involved in creation. We should Thank God for such Magnificent Beauty and truth it reveals about the creator.

David is askind God to approve his words and reflection as though they were offering brought to the alter.

As we begin each day, let us determine that God's Love will guide us on what we say and How we think.

LET THE NAME OF GOD BE PRAISED

Verses 1-6 speaks to us of the magnitude of God's creation, that, no matter when we look up at the heavens, we see (day or night) God's mighty works. David also rejoices at the sun. Then he goes on to discuss the value of the law, the written word which connects the works of God with how much value and respect we are to view them as mere humans. I especially love 12 and 13 and the "mirror" image as it builds our protection against sin.

The final prayer, oft repeated from the pulpit (and till now, I never knew its origination) is so beautiful. Quoting it, we pray that our words and our thoughts please God, our Redeemer! Amen! I will pray it now in the morning and whenever I am leading prayer, participating in a meeting or speaking from any venue.[/b]

THE COMMON THREAD THAT CONNECTS THE 1ST PART OF PSALM 19 TO THE 2ND PART IS THE AUTHORITY OF GOD. THE PSALMIST SEEMS TO BASK IN GOD'S WORD BY THE VERY EXPRESSIVE WORDS THAT HE USES TO DESCRIBE GOD AND HIS WORKS.

THESE VERY EXPRESSIVE WORDS AND EXAMPLES SHOW JUST HOW THE WONDERS OF CREATION AFFECT THE PSALMIST.

IN VERSE 14, I BELIEVE THAT DAVID IS ASKING GOD TO GUIDE HIM IN EVERYTHING THAT HE SPEAKS; AND GOD IS THE ONE TO DO THIS BECAUSE DAVID ACKNOWLEDGES THAT GOD IS HIS STRENGTH AND REDEEMER.

1. The Word of God is the common thread...the way it is expressed is represented in each of the verses. God's Word is expressed thru the heavens and his creation in the first section. His Word as recorded in the Laws of the Torah and the Bible in the second.

2. The psalmist basks in the majesty and glory of His Word through creation and its orginization, the simplicity and perfection of His Law, and God's reputation/presence in the world. God himself + his works + his word.

3. I have felt his calming, peaceful presence, I admire and am in awe of his creation and his word speaks directly to me on many occasions!

4. The psalmist's wonder of creation inspires his own creativity, praise of the Lord, and understanding of those things God wants him to know. The ways of God, the ways to live properly, etc.

5. David is asking God to keep him pure thru His Word, protection, wisdom, discernment and that his ways would be pleasing.

GOD"S perfection..in creation and the WORD....HIS glory

the commands are rediant giving light to the eyes...also the sweetness of it

He is mindful of his sins

Accept his repentance

Q2. (Psalm 19) Verses 1 to 6 seem very different from verses 7 to 13, but there is a common thread that relates the first part to the second part. What is it?

The common thread that relates verses 1 to 6 with verses 7 to 13 is the Word of God being revealed. In verses 1 to 6 it is revealed in creation and in verses 7 to 10 the Word of God is revealed in written form.

In what way does the psalmist seem to bask in God's Word? Have you ever felt that way?

The Psalmist basks in the Word of God through meditation and receives benefits to revive his soul; he receives wisdom, joy, enlightement and finds the Word of God to be completely pure and righteous.

These are the benefits that we all receive when we take the time to meditate on the Word of God.

How does the psalmist's wonder in creation seem to affect him in this psalm?

When faced with the glory of God in the creation and the awesome requirement of God in his Word, the psalmist is suddenly conscious of his own sins.

In the classic prayer of verse 14, what is David asking God to do?

David is asking God to be pleased with the words that he speaks and those which he meditates upon.