JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Psalm 139

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (Psalm 139). In what way does the wonder of creation in the psalm seem to affect the psalmist? In his concluding prayer in verses 23-24, what does he ask God to do?

In reading this Psalm I could not seperate any of it. I love the things David says. It goes deep into my heart because God is so Majestic and caring. He holds us in His mighty hand as He does the same with all creation. Tenderly and carefully with so much love, yet I am sure some sadness when we sin and are disobedient.

God is omnipresent--He is present everywhere. Because this is good news to those who know and love God, because no matter what we do or where we go. He is there ( Romans 8: 35-39 )

God's character goes into creation of every person. When you feel worthless or even begin to hate yourself, as I am sure David must have felt at times. Remember that God's Spirit is ready and willing to work within you. I am sure this is what David understood. We should have as much respect for ourselves as our Creator has for us.

David's hatered for his enemies came from his zeal and love for God. David regarded his enemies as God's enemies , so his hatered was a desire for God's righteous justice and not for personal vengeance. Is it all right to be angry at people who hate God ? Yes, but I believe it to be a righteous anger we must remember that it is God who will deal with them , not us. If we truly love God, then we will be deeply hurt if someone hates Him and pray mercy for them.

David asked God to search his heart and mind and point out any wrong motives that may have been behind his strong words. But while we seek justice against evil , we must also pray that God's enemies will turn to Him before He judges them. ( Matthew 5: 44 ).

David asked God to search for sin and point it out, even to the level of testing his thoughts . This is exploratory surgery for sin.God works from the inside out. How are we to recognize sin unless God points it out? Then, when God shows us, we can repent and be forgiven. I Make this verse my prayer. If I ask the Lord to search my heart and my thoughts and to reveal my sin, I know I will be continuing on God's " way everlasting " AMEN

Q3. (Psalm 139). In what way does the wonder of creation in the psalm seem to affect the psalmist? In his concluding prayer in verses 23-24, what does he ask God to do?

In reading this Psalm I could not seperate any of it. I love the things David says. It goes deep into my heart because God is so Majestic and caring. He holds us in His mighty hand as He does the same with all creation. Tenderly and carefully with so much love, yet I am sure some sadness when we sin and are disobedient.

God is omnipresent--He is present everywhere. Because this is good news to those who know and love God, because no matter what we do or where we go. He is there ( Romans 8: 35-39 )

God's character goes into creation of every person. When you feel worthless or even begin to hate yourself, as I am sure David must have felt at times. Remember that God's Spirit is ready and willing to work within you. I am sure this is what David understood. We should have as much respect for ourselves as our Creator has for us.

David's hatered for his enemies came from his zeal and love for God. David regarded his enemies as God's enemies , so his hatered was a desire for God's righteous justice and not for personal vengeance. Is it all right to be angry at people who hate God ? Yes, but I believe it to be a righteous anger we must remember that it is God who will deal with them , not us. If we truly love God, then we will be deeply hurt if someone hates Him and pray mercy for them.

David asked God to search his heart and mind and point out any wrong motives that may have been behind his strong words. But while we seek justice against evil , we must also pray that God's enemies will turn to Him before He judges them. ( Matthew 5: 44 ).

David asked God to search for sin and point it out, even to the level of testing his thoughts . This is exploratory surgery for sin.God works from the inside out. How are we to recognize sin unless God points it out? Then, when God shows us, we can repent and be forgiven. I Make this verse my prayer. If I ask the Lord to search my heart and my thoughts and to reveal my sin, I know I will be continuing on God's " way everlasting " AMEN

David begins this Psalms with You have searched and know me. Yet he ends with Search me, O God, and know my heart;

test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

We need to know what God knows about us. Back in Genesis 22 when Abraham, being obedient to the Lord, takes his son up to the mountain to offer him as a sacrifice on the altar, the Lord tells him to stop because now I know you fear God (verse 12). But In Genesis 18:19 the Lord says, "For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him." He already knew the heart of Abraham, before Isaac was born. Yet, years later Abraham has an experience where he now knows what God knows about him and through that experience he receives the blessing. God searches our hearts and knows us, but we must have an experience where we know what God knows about us. Since we have received Jesus and all he did for us on the cross and resurrection, God sees us through the blood of the Lamb, blameless and unreprovable. We must see what he sees and that comes from have God experiences.

It has caused a profound self-awareness as the psalmist sees himself through God's eyes. He invites God into his heart and mind, to know him intimately as only God can. Most importantly, he asks to be tested. It is only in times of trial that we can really know the strength of our faith, the desires of our heart, and the veracity of our relationship with Him. The psalmist also asks God to find whatever faults he has so that he might fix them and thereby follow God and live the life everlasting.

it sees him through God's eyes the way we all should be seen ... so we never have to worry anymore about anything because God accepts us just the way we are and he work everything out for the good for people that love him. he wants God to search him...test him and also lead him.

Psalm 139 affects the psalmist so greatly that he willingly surrenders himself to God...not just a part of himself, but his whole self; recognising that there is no part of him that God does not know intimately. In verses 23-24, the psalmist acknowledges that he will no doubt have anxious thoughts, that he was made human and that God know that...but at the same time he gives God permission to take away these thoughts, to constantly test his way of thinking and to bring him back to His ways when he strays.

This psalm truly acknowledges humankind's weaknesses, that while one may intend to fully honour God, there are worldly things that encroach on this desire, that tempt us away from the path God would have us follow. While God does not need our 'permission' to keep us focussed, He prefers that we follow Him willingly, which is why He gave us free will on the day of our Creation, rather than making it impossible for us to do anything that would cause Him displeasure. God requires that we acknowledge that we need His direction, His discipline; and while it is not always a pleasant experience, we welcome the result...that of being drawn closer to God, Our Father.

(Psalm 139). In what way does the wonder of creation in the psalm seem to affect the psalmist? We miss a good deal of God's awesome love and character if we fail to understand this psalm in its entireity. The psalmist has become aware that he is not alone, unknown or insignificant: "LORD, you have searched me and you know me (...) when I sit and when I rise (...) you perceive my thoughts from afar (...) discern my going out and my lying down (...) are familiar with all my ways (...) Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O LORD. You hem me in -- behind and before you have laid your hand upon me [in this we are identified as being chosen by God even before we are born and become aware of it ourselves], Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain [we never will comprehend fully the pureness of his heart and love he has for us and in us].

Where can I go from your Spirit, (....) flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there (...) make my bed in the depths, you are there (...) rise on the wings of the dawn, (...) settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me (...) your right hand will hold me fast. [We cannot escape God's love for us and his gentle pursuit and offer of eternal salvation and communion with Him. His gentle touch and love is found everywhere.]

If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me," even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. [it is in our darkest moments that His word and awesomeness shines its brightest guiding us into his presence and truths.]

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book

before one of them came to be. [To me, this consecrates that ONLY GOD can create a blessed life for we are created in HIS SECRET PLACE - woven in the depths He sees our unformed body and thus our days are ordained and written in His book before we come to be.]

In his concluding prayer in verses 23-24, what does he ask God to do? The psalmist asks God to create in him a pure heart, one worthy of his everlasting covenant through salvation. He asking God to help him move into a greater, richer, and deeper relationship with the Lord through searching his heart, knowing his anxiousness [lack of faith and trust in the Lord] and to show him these offenses so that God can lead him into everlasting covenant. I ofen pray this before I take communion.

It makes him aware that God alone knew him before he was even born, God knew him in the enter most parts God seen him and knew the beginning of his days as well as the end of his life.

"23Search me, O God, and know my heart;

test me and know my anxious thoughts.

24See if there is any offensive way in me,

and lead me in the way everlasting." (139:23-24)

He ask God to be his guide to keep from sinning against Him and to give pure thoughts and remove any that would keep him from losing his desire to love and live for God and do His will.

Q3: In what way does the wonder of creation in the psalm seem to affect the psalmist?

Wonder becomes awe, awe becomes reverence, reverence becomes surrender.

Q3: In his concluding prayer in verses 23-24, what does he ask God to do?

Get closer and lead him through forever.

Q3. (Psalm 139). In what way does the wonder of creation in the psalm seem to affect the psalmist?

The Psalmist realizes that along with his intricate, intimate formation, as a creation of God, it means that God knows his whole life from its very beginning to its very end. The Creator is both omnipotent (all-powerful), but also omniscient (all-knowing). God has full knowledge of every fact of his life.

In his concluding prayer in verses 23-24, what does he ask God to do?

Therefore, in his concluding prayer, David beseeches God to search his heart and cleanse him of any offensive way so that he can live and be lead by God forever.

1) It makes him to know that God knows everything even before his birth. And God is in control of everything. His life is in God's hand. And God allows him to realize that it is impossible for things to be accomplished without God.

2) In verse 23-24, he ask God to that he will be able to completely surrender his life to God. He wants God to check his heart, test him, and cast his burden upon God. He asked God if there is anything that he can do to cleanse his heart. He want God to lead him back to the path that could lead to everlasting life. He asks God to help him to draw closer to him and to be more like Christ-like.

The Psalmist realizes that God rules over nations and peoples. He also deals with us as persons whom He has known from the womb. God knows our whole life from its beginning to the end for He is a God all pwrful and knowing.

In His concluding prayer, David ask God to search & guide his heart and cleanse him for any offensive ways so that he can can be lead to a closer relationship & deeper understanding of God`s will and way.

The Psalmist realizes that God rules over nations and peoples. He also deals with us as persons whom He has known from the womb. God knows our whole life from its beginning to the end for He is a God all pwrful and knowing.

In His concluding prayer, David ask God to search & guide his heart and cleanse him for any offensive ways so that he can can be lead to a closer relationship & deeper understanding of God`s will and way.

It tells me that He knew me before I was even born, knew everything about me.

David asks God to make him perfect and to guard him from all things that are not God like

The incredible reality that God Himself designed him, from father to mother to creation, led the psalmist to conclude that he was God's creation and that Yahweh was constantly with him. He asks his heavenly Father to search out any evil within him and take control of him by leading him the right way.

The psalmist is in reverence in how God created him.The psalmist knows God is all knowing,and all powerful and is all omnipresent.The theme of this psalm is the psalmist's knowledge that God knows him completely.

He knows he can't hide anything from God,his thoughts,even his sins.He asks God to search his heart and mind,and reveal his sins so he can repent."Create In Me A Clean Heart".We must do the same.We must also pray for our enemies,so they would turn to Jesus for salvation,forgiveness.

This should be our prayer also in verse 23-24.God will lead us, and direct us, in his evelasting way, if we pray to Him to help us.

I feel that as the psalmist thought about the wonder of creation it made him pause and think about how beautiful and wonderful was his own creation in his mother's womb. It made him realize that the very God who created the universe is the one who was there and made all the intricate parts of his own being. This is so marvelous when you realize it is the same for each of us today.

As I look at his concluding prayer I feel that he is asking God to examine his inner life and to reveal anything that would hinder or harm the intimacy of their having close fellowship. He asks God to know his heart, reveal any anxious thought, check on anything that is offensive, and to lead him "in the way everlasting." In a way I feel the psalmist could easily be singing a song like "Where He Leads Me I Will Follow." I feel he is making a commitment to follow the master all the way.

The Psalmist is wondering Howimpotant human beings are. God created every human being wonderfully complex. When one feels worthless or even begi to hate oneself, remember that God's Spirit is ready and willing to work with you. WE should have as much respect for ourselves as our Maker Has for Us.

David is asking God to search for sin and point it out, even to the level of testing hisd thoughts.

Q3. (Psalm 139). In what way does the wonder of creation in the psalm seem to affect the psalmist?

The other Psalms (8 & 19) look & marvel at the breadth of Creation (although at times focusing in on specifics) where as this psalm seems to be focusing more on the pinnacle of God

God has made David (and us) and accepted him just the way he is (and us) That there is an inner yerning for God(v14) put there by God. We are well planned out not just thrown together. We were well thought out with great care and concideration, therefore loved. We are sinful by nature and impure, and in need of dirrection and forgiveness.

David is in awe ..he realizes that GOD is everywhere even in his thoughts and words.

He asks him to cleanse his thoughts and words and to help him to follow GOD's plan for him.

He is asking GOD to cleanse inside as well as out and to help guide him so he can please GOD

and follow his teaching.

:blink:

Q3. Part A... In this Psalm I seem to feel that the wonder of creation as seen by the psalmist makes him think inwardly, meditate on

an consider that God knows us intimitely. He reflects on how God knows us in the womb and internal thoughts as well

as what we do and say outwardly. that God knew us always and knows our future. And along with this knowledge he

dreams and meditates and ponders God and how his creation even himself are really known by God

Q3. Part B....In the psalmist concluding prayer, the psalmist asks God to go into his thoughts and memories and inner being and see

what in him is wicked and sinfull and to guide and lead him in God's acceptable and good ways. to change his perspective

and his way of living out life into a way acceptable to God.