JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Psalm 1). This short psalm seems to reaffirm what we already know: the righteous will succeed and the wicked will perish. Why do we need to be reminded of this? From an emotional standpoint, what lines in this psalm stand out to you. Why do you think you like them?

1) This short psalm seems to reaffirm what we already know: the righteous will succeed and the wicked will perish. Why do we need to be reminded of this?

* In my case, I have come to realize that in everyday life I face many different issues and many different people with different many sets and in dealing with all I have trained myself to base my first responds to the word of God for my conduct and what I need to flow from that. We know that God's word in Proverbs tell us, "out of the heart, so a man speaks" and so if my heart is not plowed in the right soil and watered with the word of God and if the character of God is not first to flow through, then I have found that unrighteous wrong words can flow to ill advise or to offend someone.

* When storms of life come and we are not planted as a tree then we can be uprooted and blow down. But, if we are rooted and grounded in the word growing and responding from righteous living, His word tells us again, " that through a righteous shall fall seven times, he will arise and I want to add forgiven due to the fact that he has made his heart a repented heart."

2) From an emotional standpoint, what lines in this psalm stand out to you. Why do you think you like them?

* I like to think of myself as a planted tree not only in word or deed, but to know that I have planted myself in my Father's house and in His kingdom.

* I treasure the fact that the "Lord knows and is fully acquainted with the way of the righteous." and I pray that He will always be able to count upon me to live, love and respond to His way of living for out of His life flows the living water of life and in that water there is healing not only for me, but for others, If I live my life righteous and holy and acceptable to Him then I will lead others to do so and in doing this then" God will always be acquainted with right part of me!

Q1. (Psalm 1). This short psalm seems to reaffirm what we already know: the righteous will succeed and the wicked will perish. Why do we need to be reminded of this? From an emotional standpoint, what lines in this psalm stand out to you. Why do you think you like them?

Our friends and associates can have a profound influence on us, often in very subtle ways. If we insist on friendships with those who mock what God considers important, we might sin by becoming indifferent to God's will.This attitude is the same as mocking .

Do your friends build up your faith, or do they tear you down? True friends should help, not hinder you to draw closer to God.

God doesn't judge people on the basis of race, sex, or National origin. He judges them on the basis of their faith in Him and their responses to His revealed will. Those who dilgently try to obey God's will are blessed. Their happy condition is like healthy, fruit-bearing trees with strong roots (Jeremiah 17: 5-8 ), and God promises to watch over them. Those who don't trust and obey God have meaningless lives that blow away like the chaff in the wind.

You can learn how to follow God by meditating on His word. Meditating means spending time reading and thinking about what you have read . It means asking yourself how you should change so you're living as God wants. Knowing and meditating on God's word are the first steps toward applying it to your everyday life. If you want to follow God more closely, you must know what He says.

The more we delight in God's presence, the more fruitful we are. On the other hand, the more we allow those who ridicule God to affect our thoughts and attitudes, the more we seperate ourselves from our source of nourshment. We must have contact with unbelievers if we are to witness to them, but we must not join in or imitate their sinful behavior. If you want despair, spend time mocking

sinners, but if you want God's happiness , make friends with those who love God and His word.

What the bible means by prosperity when we apply God's wisdom , the fruit we bear will be good and receive God's approval. Just as a tree soaks up water and bears luscious fruit, we also are to soak up God's word, producing actions and attitudes that honor God. To achieve anything worthwhile, we must have God's word in our hearts.

What lines in this psalm stand out to you. Why do you think you like them?

( 1:4 ) Chaff is a symbol of a faithless life that drifts along with out direction. Good grain is a symbol of a faithful life that can be used by God . Unlike grain, however, we can choose the direction we will take.

I believe we need this reminder that the righteous will prosper whereas the wicked will be destroyed, because in this broken world we live in it seems that those who strive to be righteous are trodden underfoot by those who care little about the way in which they get ahead. They may indulge in violence, even murder and lie and cheat...and seemingly get away with it. Yes, they may have developed a suave manner which influences the way other broken people in this world perceive them, but God cannot be influenced by smart dress or clever speaking, He alone can view what is in the heart, and what the heart contains is what seals His judgement of us. Even those who claim they are unbelievers will eventually find themselves standing before God and have to give account for their choice of action during their lifetime; it is at this moment that their past choices will save or destroy them forever. It is important for us to rememer this and not be tempted to sin because it appears that someone else profits by doing so.

I love the thought of the Lord constantly watching over those who strive to be righteous; it reminds me of a mother hen ensuring that each of her brood has sufficient and learns the art of getting through life. Yes, troubles will come undoubtedly, we do live in a broken world after all; a world that Adam willingly surrendered to Satan and that we've reinforced his ownership of it since. But God is always there watching as we work to overcome and conquer these obstacles...noting our choice as to whether we give in to Satan and resort to sin or whether we remain trusting in God to not place us in a position that cannot be overcome by righteousness.

1). We need to be reminded that righteous will succeed and the wicked will perish because they give instructions about life and deal with fundamental issues such as the nature of evil, the meaning of life and the struggle to fathom God`s ways. It draws a sharp contrast between good and evil, right and wrong, godliness and ungodliness. The choice is one or the other, there can be no middle ground.

2). The Lord knows the way of the godly with their decision based on delighting in God`s law, meditation & commitment to God`s ways. Their outcome will be like a well-watered tree, blooming and productive, resilient and prosporous. While the way of the ungodly shall perish with decision based on walking in the counsel of the ungodly, standing in the way of sinners and sitting in the seat of the scornful. Their outcome will be like chaff, will not withstand judgment and will not stand with the righteous. It`s like a road in which we must make moral choices today that we have long-term eternal consequences.

I can't speak for others, but I find that the fact I am human I tend to have a short memory and need to be reminded of things over and over again. I get busy and other things tend to push their way in my life and I need to be reminded of God's will and direction for my life. With this thought in mind, the phrase that came forth to me as I thought on this psalm is "For the LORD watches over the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked will perish." (1:6) How I praise His name for His faithfulness to me.

(Psalm 1). This short psalm seems to reaffirm what we already know: the righteous will succeed and the wicked will perish. Why do we need to be reminded of this?

We need to be reminded that the wicked shall perish because there is a promise in this Psalm, the promise that we will succeed if we are righteous. This promise is our reward for living righteously and not conforming to the ways of this world, but to be transformed and renewed in our mind and thus, in spirit.

From an emotional standpoint, what lines in this psalm stand out to you. Why do you think you like them?

An emotional point for me is the strong ending of this Psalm "For the Lord knows the way of the righteous, But the way of the ungodly shall perish". I gain trust in the Lord which builds my faith in knowing that the way of righteousness is blessed by the Lord and it leads me to pray for those who are ungodly that they may be saved and enter into the favor of the Lord as well.

FOR ME IT IS GOOD TO BE REMINDED THAT MY EFFORTS AT LIVING GODLY ARE NOT IN VAIN. FROM AN EMOTIONAL STANDPOINT, VERSE 2 "BUT HIS DELIGHT IS IN THE LAW OF THE LORD; AND IN HIS LAW DOTH HE MEDITATE DAY AND NIGHT." STANDS OUT TO ME BECAUSE IT'S DESCRIBING A PERSON THAT REALLY LOVES THE LORD, AND THAT DESCRIBES ME BECAUSE I AM SEEKING A CLOSER WALK WITH GOD.

BLESSINGS TO EVERYONE!

we shall not be moved even when storms come upon us .we have to stand firm and believe that God wil wether the storms which he does.

1. This short psalm seems to reaffirm what we already know: the righteous will succeed and the wicked will perish. Why do we need to be reminded of this?

We need to be reminded because all around us we see the wicked seemingly successful. But like that tree by the water, whose roots grow deep to take in water and nourishment, so we are nourished in his Word. God will bless our lives with his prosperity as we stay rooted in him. He will use our leaves and fruit to be a blessing to those around us also.

2. From an emotional standpoint, what lines in this psalm stand out to you. Why do you think you like them?

I've always loved the part that says, "For the LORD watches over the way of the righteous." To know he is watching over my way is worth everything to me. When I choose my own path he lets me go there, and that's a scary place to be. But staying near him, knowing he is watching my way is restful.

This psalm(1) is a great comfort to me. It gives me a promise: if I delight in the law of the Lord and meditate on God's Law day and night, I will be successful -- "whatever he/she does will prosper" verse 3. Conversely, it warns those who are ungodly that their way will eventually perish -- which also can be a comfort if one has been persecuted by ungodly people or has seen ungodly people succeed for a time materially, though it is mostly sobering -- as there but for the grace of God, go I. What good is it for a person to gain the whole world but lose their soul? I need reminders, I need to read over and over again, how important it is to set aside time for the Lord to meditate on His word and bask in His presence. This is a sacrifice, there are always many things demanding our time and attention, and yet, it is a very "profitable" sacrifice, for it is more like an investment. The more time and energy I invest in God's Kingdom, the more I will flourish, "like a tree planted by the rivers of water that brings forth its fruit in its season". There is nothing more rewarding, more joyfilled for me, to bring forth fruit for the Kingdom of my Savior and Lord. Oh, that I could be even more fruitful!

In a world driven by pleasure and gain, when you see the wicked live in luxury with all the finest of this life available to them, it is necessary for the Word to remind us that our lack is only temporary. That while we suffer as wicked men and women crush us with their gluttony and scorn us with their contempt, we will be victorious. As our homes are torn down to make way for the rich of this world and our taxes go up to pave their roads to their worldly whims, we are reminded that there will come a day when our roads will be paved with gold and we will dwell in heavenly mansions.

Psalm 1 taught me to meditate and by meditation in the Word I am able to make it. That was the intention of this Psalm.

Q1. (Psalm 1).

This short psalm seems to reaffirm what we already know: the righteous will succeed and the wicked will perish. Why do we need to be reminded of this?

As the question states, we know that the righteous will succeed! But maybe the issue is- how are we righteous? (Not meaning justification by faith- but how righteous ways outworked in our lives? i.e. in our behavior).

Here in this Psalm David attests to what Joshua heard from the LORD in Joshua chapter 1, godly success comes from mediating in God

Psalm1: I think we are reminded the righeous will succeed because in our everyday lives we need this as an encouragement. Life is not always lived on the mountian top, we don't live in an ideal world, and there are many times when we just need an attitude adjustment: The battle is won for us, we are the Victors in Christ. First Psalm sets the theme for the rest of the Psalms.

Verse 3 stands out for me in this Psalm. I think because of the imagery of the tree firmly planted by streams water. When we are deeply rooted in our faith we are blessed, healthy (spiritually) and fruitful. This is the goal we aspire to as Christians.

This short psalm seems to reaffirm what we already know: the righteous will succeed and the wicked will perish. Why do we need to be reminded of this?

Sometimes it seems like the wicked florish and triumph. We need to be reminded that there flourishing is short lived and eventually the righteous will succeed even though right now we are buffeted by Satan's attempts to destroy us. Our God is victorious and has already won the battle.

From an emotional standpoint, what lines in this psalm stand out to you. Why do you think you like them?

Verse 3 says :

And he will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither; and in whatever he does, he prospers. We are planted by God and kept by His strength. And God bears fruit through us in His season. It's all of God. That to me is comforting.

God Bless you all

Jen

Numbers6:24-26

Q1. (Psalm 1). This short psalm seems to reaffirm what we already know: the righteous will succeed and the wicked will perish. Why do we need to be reminded of this?

The righteous will succeed and the wicked will perish is a reminder of the Word of God and the cost we will pay if we are wicked in the eyes of God. But a constant reminder by meditation and prayer will keep us on the righteous path. We have a sinful nature and we can be influenced easily by the wilds of satan so we need meditation and prayer as reminders of the importance of righteous living, living a Christ-like life and that the righteous will succeed but the wicked will perish in their ways.

I love all of the psalms written because they display the love David had for God, the longing, the perservence, the devotion he displayed for the love of the Father and God's love for David in return. But in this section Verse 1:3 "He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yield its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers."

Because he stays true to the Word of God and to living a righteous life.

Why we needed to be reminded that the righteous succeed, and the wicked perish? Those that do not follow God's laws will not be judged, they will go straight to hell. Those that did not have a positive influence in the community, those that do bad things, that dont believe that God is who he says he is. Why we need to be reminded of this? We need to be reminded of our influence in our church and in our community. What we say and do reflects back on us, and God. The line that stands out to me in this Psalm is Verse 3: He is like a tree planted by the stream of water. We need to be a tree in God's community and stand tall for Him.

A reminder like this keeps me going in this walk of faith. It is easy to feel discouraged when there are so many wrong things happening around us. Injustice gets me all riled up. But God promises that the wicked will perish. He is telling me that he will handle this and asking me not to worry about it. My task is to stay righteous and not to follow the wrong path or be influenced by it or even be a stumbling block to others. What a great reminder indeed!

The Psalm 1:3 attracts me with its imagery. As I picture the tree planted by streams of water - a sense of calmness envelops me. There is serenity. It must feel good to feel that cold water (especially if you are staying in this hot Malaysia:_). And the leaf not does wither. Wow, such a powerful description. It makes me want to be this person referred in this verse. The righteous are truly blessed.

:rolleyes:

I think we need to be reminded that the wicked will perish and the righteous succeed because sometimes it seems as though the wicked are succeeding. In some ways they are now for a time,such as abortion but in the end they will perish and sin will be done away with. The righteous will flourish and it will be a perfect world! Isn't He wonderful!

My favorite verse or lines is verse 2,But his delight is in the law of the Lord;and in his law doth he meditate day and night.I think maybe it is because I do love God's Word and to meditate on it and God says those who do are blessed.

The only way we will succeed is with God. Without God we are nothing (like the chaff). We need to be planted firmly on solid ground gaining nouishment from His life-giving Word (like the tree planted by the river). I am also reminded that without God reading the Word and fellowshipping with other Christians we could be like an ember that if removed will fade and go out. By surrounding ourselves in the things of God we will be brighter embers or light, when walking amongst the wicked, and that their advice will be burnt up and have no bearing on us as we walk in the Light and Word.

You could loose sight of God and be beaten down by daily living in this world.

The words that stuck out to me is 1:3

Because it tells of a strong tree. I would like to be like that, to know that God is watering me and my protector and nothing could hurt me, to be able to stand straight and tall and to be able to help, not to think about what people say ar do, to just do what you know is right at the time, and to know that God is looking at you and saying well done.

:unsure: So as to keep on the right path of life with ouyr Heavenly Father. Sometimes our trials seem to be forever or endless. Which gives satan an edge. No way do I want to give satan an edge. Being reminded that righteous Christians will prevail. Gives me hope and foresight that with God nothing is impossible. Reminds me that God knows the end. Whereas I can only see the now. Reminds me that God is always with me even when I dont feel his presence. But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditaes day and night." : These lines standout to me. For I feel so much peace,joy, comfort, relief when I read and meditate on Gods words. Esp. in the morning and evening decvotionals. What a help to start and end my day. When I have obeyed our Heavenly Father and his laws, What a gratifying feeling to know I have pleased my Father. It is such a joy and great feeling inside.

:rolleyes:Q1. (Psalm 1).

(In times of trials and frustration, it is often difficult to remember that we will eventually succeed if we just perservere and trust and God. So that this stay fresh in our minds, we need to be constantly reminded of this.)

From an emotional standpoint, what lines in this psalm stand out to you.(

3 He is like a tree that is planted near a stream of water.

It always bears its fruit at the right time.

Its leaves don't dry up. )

Why do you think you like them?

These lines remind me that events in our lives will happen at the right time. That is not always the time we think is best and God knows best.

Q1. (Psalm 1). This short psalm seems to reaffirm what we already know: the righteous will succeed and the wicked will perish. Why do we need to be reminded of this?

As long as we are on this side of Heaven Satan will bring temptations our way. God has given us His Word to remind us that success lie ahead if we would stay faithful.

The line that stand out to me and is a part of my prayer is, "nor standeth in the way of sinners." It is my earnest desire not to be a stumbling block to anyone coming to know Christ as Saviour and Lord.

We need to be reminded about this often because in our world today, the rich keep getting richer, & the wicked prosper.

"For the Lord watches over the way of the righteous"--if He is watching over us, He'll only let things happen to us that have first gone through Jesus and He will be acting on our behalf, for He knows what is the very best for us.