JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Psalm 15) The Wisdom Psalms are meant to instruct us. How would you use this psalm in your family to instruct your children? What topics of right living does it cover?

1) The Wisdom Psalms are meant to instruct us. How would you use this psalm in your family to instruct your children?

* To teach them: How important it is to dwell with the Lord in His House which is His covering over them and their place of prayer and worship.

* That as they grow in the Lord and in their daily life and as years go by to also dwell with Him in an attitude of prayer and worship

* That when they lack wisdom, seek it by prayer and be the word such as the Wisdom Psalms. There is always an answer from God, His words and ways.

* To always walk in love and to keep their word.

* Be honest and up front in what ever do

* Represent the Lord in all their ways and by their example many will see that the wisdom of God is what makes a man strong, smart and endure all things.

* It's strength in a person that will catch the eye of a man, like Samson

* That in studying the word of God they will learn that out of the heart a man speaks and that the issues of life flow's from the heart as well

* To be Blameless, Righteous, and Truthful

* To be stable in all their ways and this comes from living in His dwelling place

* Their main goal in life, is to live an eternal life with God

There is so much to tell and say to all you who come in contact with this list it could go on and on. I have truly found for my own life to apply His wisdom and truth to my daily walk and to reach that high calling in Christ Jesus. Heaven is my goal and He is my prize!

2) What topics of right living does it cover?

* Moral Integrity

* Blameless" (NIV, NRSV), "uprightly" (KJV) is tāmīm, from the verb tāmam, which carries the fundamental idea of completeness. Our word is used of animal sacrifices that are without blemish, as well as moral integrity, "whole, upright, perfect."

"Righteous" (NIV, KJV) or "right" (NRSV) is ṣedeq, from a root that basically connotes conformity to an ethical or moral standard.

"Truth" (

Q2. (Psalm 15) The Wisdom Psalms are meant to instruct us. How would you use this psalm in your family to instruct your children? What topics of right living does it cover?

To begin with as A Grandmother and a Parent. I would do my best to be an example to my children.

I would watch my conversation on the phone and in public where little ears are listening, If I am a gossip they will think it is O.K for them.

If I am a slanderer same thing.

If I am judging people so will they.

If I use profanity so will they.

If I am having a sexual relationship with some one so will they

What I am getting at we are to teach by example of how we live.

Instruct them by reading the word at an early age. Memorize the scriptures. what ever we tell them right from wrong show them what God's word says always with an attitude of love. Show them how Jesus was. Kindness, love, gentleness, teach them all people, are created by God no matter what the color or religion. Teach them to pray for those who are less fortunate than they are. Be generous with their caring and giving not only of material thing but of their kindness and time when able. The main thing is teach them to always be like Jesus. Be kind to one another. Laying oneself down for a brother or sister.

God calls His people to be morally upright. and in this psalm, He gives ten standards to determine how we are doing. We live among evil people whose standards and morals are eroding.

( 1 ) ( 15; 2) This person walks with intergrity, ( " blamelessly " ) Intergrity here does not mean sinless, but it does describe a person who by God's grace " sin less ". It refers to one who is whole complete, sound.

( 2 ) This individual does what is right ( 15: 2 ) The emphasis here is on doing what is righteous, rather that merely talking about it. Doing what is right and lawful and good and honest is pleasing to God, whether it be in private or public, in the church or in the office.

( 3 ) He speaks truth in His heart ( 15: 2 ) That is to say, there is correspondence between what he thinks on the inside and what he say on the out side. This person doesn't resort to hypocrisy, feigned praise, or flattery. He speaks the truth.

( 4 ) He does not slander with his tongue ( 15;3 ) The word "slander" literally means " to spy out", In the sense that one goes looking for things in the life of another to use against them.

( 5 & 6 ) are related. He does no evil to His neighbor ( 15: 3 ) Neither does he take up a reproach against his friend ( 15: 3 ) He refers to both intiating and rejoicing in gossip. The person of integrity will neither contribute to slander or gossip nor tolerate it.

( 7 ) This person is one in whose eyes a vile person is despised but who honors those who fear the Lord ( 15: 4 ).

( 8 ) He swears to his own hurt and does not change ( 15: 4 ) The NIV renders this, " He keeps his oath even when it hurts.!" His Honor is more important than his wallet. Integrity has no price tag

( 9 ) He does not put out his money at interest ( 15: 5 ) It was motivated by compassion.

1. A person of Moral Integrity fulfills hi/her promises. Being true to ones word, especially when doing so is costly( in terms of money, convenience, physical welfare, etc.) is a core characteristic of integrity.

2. A person of integrity speaks the truth, is honest and does not lie.

3. A person of integrity is a person of sincerity. That is to say, a person of integrity hates hypocrisy.

4. A person of integrity manifests a wholeness of character, including kindness, compassion, mercy, and gentleness.

5. A person of integrity is committed to the pursuit and mantenance of justice and fairness.

6. A person of integrity loves as, when,and what God loves

7. A person of integrity is humble. He/she shuns pride and haughtiness.

8. A person of integrity is law-abiding. He/ she plays by the rules, both in the bible and the law of the land.

9. A person of integrity is fundamentally altruistic. That is to say, they are committed not simply to laws and rules but to people.

10. A person of integrity manifests a high degree of consistency. That is to say, he/she is not always changing the principles on the basis of which they live, unless compelled to do so by the bible.

The wisdom found in the Psalms is useful to remind us of our human-ness, that we may strive to be righteous but we will falter. However, we are constantly assured that God will not abandon us and that when we falter we have the ability to turn once again to God, repent and continue to move on, secure in His love and grace.

Our greatest testimony to God's Grace in our lives contains no words whatsoever. It is presented in the way we choose to live our lives, how we reach out to our neighbours, how we react when we are wronged. We are free to preach morality, but it is our actions that will be remembered, and if our actions do not confirm what we preach, then both will be rejected by those we live with. The Psalms constantly remind us that is our actions not our words that are paramount, our words are soon forgotten, but our actions live on long afterwards.

By following the wisdom contained in the Psalms, and being ready to seek forgiveness both from others as well as God when we make a mistake, we show our moral values to our children and they are absorbed much more readily than any lecture. Showing compassion to those around us who are troubled teaches our children charity instead of greed and intolerance. In this day where instant gratification is regarded as the norm, it is important for our children to realise that 'helping someone' can be just as gratifying as any monetary reward. To understand that our reward may not be received until we stand before God at the very end of our lives teaches us patience and anticipation, earthly tributes are nothing when compared to this.

I WOULD USE IT AS A PSALM THAT INSTRUCTS MY CHILDREN IN WHAT TYPES OF BEHAVIOR GOD IS PLEASED WITH. IT COVERS THE TOPICS OF NOT LYING, GOSSIPING, OR BACK-STABBING ANYONE. IT ALSO SEEMS TO SAY IN VERSES 4 & 5 THAT WE SHOULD KEEP COMPANY WITH PERSONS WHO LIVE AS GOD WOULD HAVE THEM TO, SUCH AS, DOING UNTO OTHERS AS WE WOULD HAVE THEM DO UNTO US. THIS IS WHAT I THINK, BUT I'M A LITTLE MUDDLED ON THIS ONE AS FAR AS THE TOPICS.

***PERHAPS SOMEONE OUT THERE COULD GIVE ME A LITTLE MORE INSIGHT ON THE TOPICS OF RIGHT LIVING COVERED?

I made a mistake and can't delete this post so see my other post please. Sorry ;(

Q2. (Psalm 15) The Wisdom Psalms are meant to instruct us. How would you use this psalm in your family to instruct your children?

To this Psalm add that righteous and moral integrity can be taught using both virtues and their opposite vices instructing that leaning toward the "mean" creates a balanced and forgiving nature.

1. Such as Pride as a vice has it's opposite virtue, humility. Seeing ourselves as we are (or as God's sees us) rather than comparing ourselves to others is humility. Pride and vanity are competitive.
  2. Avarice/Greed is the vice and opposite virtue is generosity. This is about more than money. Generosity means giving credit (praise) where it is due without having expetations. Greed wants its fair share or more, generosity has no expectation of return.
  3. Envy with its counterpart virtue as love; love actively seeks good in others for their sake. Envy seeks unrighteous reward.
  4. Wrath or anger with a virtue of kindness: kindness is a tender approach and anger is often emotionally based and reactionary couple with impatience with the faults of others.
  5. **** versus self control: in self discipline (control) one makes a disciple of of oneself, seeking to master that which drains oneself both emotionally and spiritually. It's counterpart is self-destructive seeking pleasure out of proportion to its worth.
  6. Gluttony versus Faith and Temperance. Temperance accepts natural limits preserving natural balance. Gluttony seeks to have all of what it can find and to consume without regard of others.
  7. Sloth versus zeal. Zeal is an energentic response to the heart of God's commands. Sloth implies complacency, deadened spiritual senses slow to respond to God and spiritually asleep.

And to this add the Fruit of the Spirit: "The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control" (Gal 5:22-23).

What topics of right living does it cover?

Truth, honor, steadfastness, integrity, kindness, goodness, faithfulness.

I WOULD USE IT AS A PSALM THAT INSTRUCTS MY CHILDREN IN WHAT TYPES OF BEHAVIOR GOD IS PLEASED WITH. IT COVERS THE TOPICS OF NOT LYING, GOSSIPING, OR BACK-STABBING ANYONE. IT ALSO SEEMS TO SAY IN VERSES 4 & 5 THAT WE SHOULD KEEP COMPANY WITH PERSONS WHO LIVE AS GOD WOULD HAVE THEM TO, SUCH AS, DOING UNTO OTHERS AS WE WOULD HAVE THEM DO UNTO US. THIS IS WHAT I THINK, BUT I'M A LITTLE MUDDLED ON THIS ONE AS FAR AS THE TOPICS.

***PERHAPS SOMEONE OUT THERE COULD GIVE ME A LITTLE MORE INSIGHT ON THE TOPICS OF RIGHT LIVING COVERED?

MS CJ has some very good points. If that will help you. Blessings to you>

When my children were young and at home, this psalm would have made a great basis for discussion with them during a time of family devotions or around the supper table. It offers all kinds of opportunity to use illustrations from their every day lives in order to share regarding such things as intregrity, speech, witnessing, honesty in our words or commitment, and the correct use of money.

I WOULD TEACH MY CHILDERN TO LOVE THEIR NEIGHBOR AS THEMSELVES ..DON'T TALK ABOUT THEM .. LIE STEAL OR ROB ANYONE ..LIVE A GODLY LIFE AND HANG AROUND WITH GODLY PEOPLE

1). Psalm 15 presents a summary of what God expects of His people. It describes godliness in terms of character. The qualities extend to personal issues of integrity and honesty, our relationships with others and the way we handle our money. True happiness comes from looking at life from God`s perspective, which is often the reverse of the human point of view.

2). Teach them to read the word of God & memorize scriptures at an early age. Teach them to pray & always give priority to God in all the ways he does and live a holy, happy and Christlike ways. Bring them into adulthood with strong character and the ability to make wise choices & with an attitude of love & respect towards elderly & needy people. Teach them to be generous in caring and giving not only of material thing but of their kindness.

Be kind to one another and live in harmony with one another in peace and joy.

3). Right living covers truth, honesty honor, love, integrity, kindness, goodness & faithfulness.

There is so much in this Psalm that can be used for instruction of children in righteous living. The main theme of the instruction here is relationships and use of money. We see how important relationships are to the Lord.

1. being honest: speak the truth in love.

2.golden rule: love one another that your joy may be full.

3. keep good company: when you play with pigs, you get dirty but they just are having fun.

4. keep your promises: we must be so careful what we say -- power of life and death is in the tongue

5. do not take advantage of others, especially someone who is poor "The Good Samaritan": if we care for those who are hurting and in need with no thought to repayment, we will be blessed

6. don't take bribes: use your authority wisely -- "do not govern as the gentiles do, who lord themselves over others -- we must be servant leaders"

I think that it is a guide to how everyone should live. First desiring to live a life that will allow us to be in the presence of God. Second living a righteous life being kind to our neighbor not taking advantage of the poor. Third not being one to gossip about others but being tolerant to those who are not living as we think they should, but seeking to bring them to a realization of Christ.

It covers all the main topics righteousness, deceit, honesty, faith , and love of God and neighbor.

Using Psalm 15 will aid in teaching children (and Christians) the proper steps needed to be righteous in God's eyes with emphasis on GOD. It seems start with walking right in God's sight and doing the right thing. This means being completely truthful, with everyone, including yourself, even if it hurts. We shouldn't gossip or attempt to bring evil upon others. At the same time we should despise evil and avoid it, not fellowshipping with the wrong crowd. Instead join with people who are like minded in their love of Adonai which means never to abuse or use the less fortunate. Then we will have our tents built on solid rock.

If I had children, using this Psalm I would instruct them on the characteristics of right living, highlighting areas of a righteous person who is careful in walking up rightly, having chaste conversation, being a person of integrity, a person who can be relied upon to stand by his word. I would teach them that as a Christian they are to love their neighbor and love them as they love themself, speaking kind words of them, rendering assistance wherever they can. They will also be taught to dispise evil but love all man.

The first thought that came to my mind was - why not find 15 things from this Psalm 15 that can be used as a base for the growth of a child. Well here it goes:

1. Obey God's teaching

2. Walk blamelessly

3. Do what is right

4. Speak the truth

5. Don't slander

6. Be good to your neighbour

7. Be fair

8. Don't say bad things to others

9. Do not conform to evil ways

10. Make clear what you believe - make a stand although it may not be accepted by the society

11. Live by the word of God

12. Persevere

13. Don't cheat poor people

14. No bribes

15. Being righteous is rewarding

According to this Psalm, the righteous living include being ethical, fair, knowing and stating clearly who is our focus, ability to persevere while trying to live true to His words and putting the need of others ahead of oneself.

Parents should teach their children that those who would live a godly life,pleasing to the Lord,must live their everyday lives in a way the Lord can bless.Everyone should examine himself to see if he is doing what pleases the Lord and be honest with himself.

Topics of right living that the psalm covers is;

Backbiting

Doing something wrong to your neighbor

Speaking evil against your neighbor

Do not approve of those living in an ungodly way

But have the utmost respect for those who fear the Lord

Keep your word even if it hurts you in some way

Do not lend money expecting interest on it

Do not take bribes, the innocent always get hurt when you do

I would teach them to love God with all their heart and all their soul. I would teach them to obey God's Words, follow his commandments, pray, build a relationship with God and live a righteous clean life using God's own words as a guide.

I would teach them to love every child of God and to think good things about them, never leave a man the way you found him, instead lifting him up. Never being judgemental, always loving and kind, always being responsible, truthful to God and to thyself. Building up rewards in heaven and not rewards on this earth. Following God's instructions on righteous living is the key to a true Christian lifestyle.

With a view to God's sanctuary, we can teach children that to do the right things in God's eyes is our goal to really living with God each day.

Do the right things

Speak truth

Don't slander others

Do no wrong to your neighbor (and who is your neighbor?)

Use no slurs on fellow man

Don't be friends with/spend lots of time with vile men

Fear the Lord--obey Him

Keep your oaths

Lend money without usuary

Do not accept bribes against the innocent

We will not be shaken.....if we do these things!!

How I would use them to instruct my children? Hmm good question, I think if I had kids I would use it to say listen to the Lord when he talks to you. Keep your word with Him. Be fair to your neighbors and those you come in contact with at school. Those that are mentioned above are about right living.

How would you use this psalm in your family to instruct your children? What topics of right living does it cover?

"He whose walk is blameless

and who does what is righteous,

who speaks the truth from his heart." (15:2)

This is a pretty humbling Psalm. How many of us can say that we qualify for verse 2 continually? Not me! I have to soul-search again as I read it, and be reminded that I don't measure up. Thankfully that is why Jesus paid that awful price on the cross for me. That alone makes me not want to fail him, but I also realize that it is only as I look to him and allow him to live through me that I can blameless and righteous.

I like Pastor Ralph's quote of Mat. 22:39, "Love your neighbor as yourself" That covers the biggest part of it. Of course the motive behind even loving our neighbor is in verse 37 and 38 of Mat. 22: "Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment." There is no way I can make this real in my life apart from loving God foremost. But because I love him, I want very much for my life to be like Psalm 15 for him. He can be that through me, but I must do my part which is to surrender to him. That's what I would teach my family also.

[/size]

Q2. (Psalm 15)

The Wisdom Psalms are meant to instruct us. How would you use this psalm in your family to instruct your children?

I would teach children to keep God in the midst of everything they do and to follow the teaching of Jesus to love and serve all of His children. I would teach them to live by God's Word, to live righteous lives with moral integrity, honesty, not to be greedy but to be concerned about all the needs of others and most of all to love and serve the Lord.

What topics of right living does it cover?

Moral Integrity, Fairness to Neighbors, Clear Allegiance to God,

Keeping One's Word, Living Without Greed

If we want to be strong and be unshaken we need to uphold the values being taught to us from the bible. If we willingly faulter from these teachings, satan will use it to his advantage and we will be found out, and he will show these to potential people we are trying to reach or our family which we are trying to be a positive influence to. If we are to be like Jesus and have a heart for people, then we need to put God first, ourselves last and others in between. We need to lift others up, not pull them down, help where we can, doing things for others. This needs to be in the attitude of what can be done for others and not what I can get out of it. In this day and age we are bombarded with images of self-centeredness and displaying a need to out do the Jones or influenced by TVs negative message seen in many programs of lies and gossip etc. The only way is to make a concious decision to follow the word as best you can, pray for help and guidance.

The best way to teach these biblical values to our children is by demonstration through our own lives, uplifting people, not gossiping, carrying out promises, helping others where we can, praying with our children for God to overcome evil situations or intervine in nonbelievers lives. Satan has had many years experience of pulling people down, so we can not do this in our own strength. Only with Gods help can we do these things and not be shaken.