JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Lesson 5. Exercises

Exercise. For one of the psalms in this lesson -- or another psalm with a similar theme -- do one of the suggested exercises to help you experience the Psalms (www.jesuswalk.com/psalms/psalms-exercises.htm). These include such things as praying a psalm, meditating, reading to a shut-in, paraphrasing, writing your own psalm, singing, preparing a liturgy, and memorizing. Then report to the forum what the exercise meant to you personally or share what you've written with others.

• 1 month later...
Exercise. For one of the psalms in this lesson -- or another psalm with a similar theme -- do one of the suggested exercises to help you experience the Psalms (www.jesuswalk.com/psalms/psalms-exercises.htm). These include such things as praying a psalm, meditating, reading to a shut-in, paraphrasing, writing your own psalm, singing, preparing a liturgy, and memorizing. Then report to the forum what the exercise meant to you personally or share what you've written with others.

BLESSED BE THE LORD,

WHO DAILY LOADTH US WITH BENEFITS,

EVEN THE GOD OF OUR SALVATION.

PSALM 68 ; 19

In our mad dash to increase our assets, sometimes we gripe " because we have so little"...... or because the Jones have more than we do. Open your eyes!! Look around! Chances are the Jones' have bills that would stagger a man.... so they are really not so much better off anyway!

Often we hear....." Things are getting worse and worse!" or " It sure isin't like the good old days!"

" But let's make a list of our benefits, and quit our griping, and bless the Lord who provides for us. Sometimes we're like the spoiled teenage girl whose parents have sacrificed their own luxuries to supply her with a closet full of the latest fashion.... and she goes to her closet and cries, " There is nothing to wear"! Or sometimes we're like the 10 year old boy who looks through full cupboards searching for something to eat, and whines, " There's nothing to eat in this house!"..... Just because there is nothing there to suit his fancy.

In addition to the Eternal Life that God has provided for all who will believe, He gives us health and strength, a mind to think with, and a body with Intricate parts that will cool us off when it is to warm, and warm us up when we're to cold. He gave us eyes to see with and ears to hear, and feelings and emotions to communicate with others. He gave us the ability to love another.... and has made pleasurable feelings for us to share.

He has given us our families, our homes and our jobs, and the ability to work. A beautiful world He has provided, too. The mountains and sea, the desert and pairie, lakes and streams. The clouds in the sky, the rainbow and sunset, the refreshing rains and the warmth of the sun. The stars in the sky and the moon so bright, the grass and flowers and trees of all kinds are for us to enjoy. The food we eat... all flavors and colors... delightful to taste and for the eye to behold, and on and on the list can grow!

What a God!!!! He must care for us! He could have made the world dull and dreary... brown and gray. He could have left out the bird's song and laughter of children that cheers our hearts. But He chose to load us with benefits! He loves us... and wants only the best for us! Can we give Him less than our lives and praise? Love begats love!!

Love Begats love! Give and it will be given back to you. Praise God.

When we look at the benefits of God's abundant blessings to us, Remember those who are less fortunate than us and don't have the blessings listed in the above, No sight, no hearing, no food, no lodging, are sick in body, very little clothing, Remember to Thank God for what you have and pray for those people and countries. May God continue to bless you in abundance.

Through this lesson, I reminds me the importance of prayer and importance of the several elements that should be included in our daily prayer. Moreover, it is also important to have humility and faith in our prayer. I strongly believe that God has a purpose for everyone. It is just you that need to listen carefully, so that you will not miss his calling.

Ps. 80

God, You're the Great Shepherd. You lead your people, Israel, like a flock. " Oh how I praise you that I am part of your flock too."

You live in holiness. You shine as the sun & moon. God, Please come & save us.

Turn your face towards us again & shine on us, giving us your salvation.

How long will You be angry with us, seeming to not hear our prayers?

Your people are in tears, Lord. Our enemies laugh at us.

Turn to us again, Lord & shine on us, giving us your salvation.

You brought your vine, Israel, out from Egypt; drove out the heathen & planted it there. It took deep root & caused her boughs & branches to reach unto the sea and the rivers.

Now the hedges are broken down, the boar & wild beasts have wasted it.

Return to us God, see your vine. Remember your vineyard & the strong branches? They're now cut down & burned with fire.

Let your hand be upon us--the son of man whom you made strong. Give us life again & we will call on your name.

Turn us, oh, Lord, cause thy face to shine & we shall be saved.

I have chosen to meditate on this verse

[font="Impact]"Restore us O Lord;

make your face shine upon us,

that we may be saved.

Psalms 80: 3,7,19[/font]

I chose three areas of my life that I wanted God to restore.

I hope these changes in me will be a good testimony to others.

I feel I have failed God by the way I carry myself at times. I want to be saved from straying away from the Lord.

Exercise: Praying Psalm 80

Lord, we want to draw life from You so we will be fully alive. Lord, we want to turn our faces toward You so we may receive Your new life.

Saturday, October 06, 2007

To the Flame of Love

My Love I have but come to realize that my flame my love is but a kindle

Where did it begin to die out

When did I walk away

What was so important, that I took my eyes off of You

Have I broken Your heart and have I sinned against You with betrayal

Tell me, Beloved so that I may repent

Tell me that once again You will take Your love and add it to this kindle like wood is added to a fire that causes it to burn in such away that heat warms the air around it and it lights up the night.

If You will forgive, if You will come as a Consuming Fire than all my shame will disappear

All that I have caused between us will be gone and then once again we will commune together

Remember My Love on our wedding night, when we came together as one

Remember how You took me in Your arms and You showed me pure love, You told me You would never leave me, nor forsake me

My hope is in You, my trust is in You

Come quickly My Beloved

Come back to me

Let's once again share together the food for my soul

Let us once again walk in unity

Oh my God, my Beloved

I feel the warming of the kindle beginning to grow

I feel the love of Your heart touching me and caressing me

I know that Your loving arms are enfolding me again

I fall at Your feet, I lay at Your feet as Ruth laid at the feet of Boaz

I know that You are my Husbandman

I know that I will never want

I know that the world offers nothing for me

Thank you My Love for forgiving me

Thank you My Love for your passion for me

To the Flame of My Love

I love You, I adore You

If ever You see me begin to wonder again or if ever I begin to fall asleep,

please oh please burn in me brighter, let the flame of Your love touch me, let me know that You have placed a fence around our love, so that I will not open the gate and walk away again.

Oh Flame of My Love

Forever we shall burn an Eternal Flame together, forever My Flame, My Love

Copyright

For my exercise I chose mediating on all the psalms and seek an answer I have always misunderstood. Why pray if he already knows your thoughts I earnestly do not understand. Maybe I am missing the point? I just know of my past and present life questions.

Last Thurday I went to see a loved one who has been very sick. The fear of him going on made me so upset. I read Psalms 1 to him and we talked about how the Lord is going to take care of us because we love and worship him. The next morning I read the daily bible verse in my email and what was it but Psalms 1:1.

With that fear the devil had put in my heart,I felt like I was "crying out for rescue" and God understood and reminded me of Psalms 1. Maybe this isn't exactly the same theme of this lesson but I felt like I was sinking into the miry depths and God hear my cry and revived me and my loved one.

Q6

The Psalm which has touched me most is Psalm 80. To me this Psalm is talking on Revival which we all need. Many Christians are praying for revival without understanding what the end result might be if their prayers are truly answered. What might revival look like? We sometimes look to revivals in the past to catch a glimpse; however, the great revivals of history demonstrated unique characteristics that were often determined by the culture of their day. What God does in the future might look completely different.

For when we talk of revival we should ask God to point out these Characteristics of revival: new life, the presence of God, strength, healing, outpouring of the Spirit, a lifestyle marked by holiness, and resulting joy.

Let us Pray that God will show us a true revival we need so that the world will be changed.

Our Father in Heaven, hallow be your Name, I pray for a passionate desire, both personally and for my congregation, to know you, to honor you and to serve you. To humbly walk with you in submission to your will and in your service. I pray for a passionate desire for all of us to want to study and grow in your Word and to apply it in all areas of our lives. I pray Father, for the movement, inspiration, and stirring of your Holy Spirit within the congregation. I pray that we would abandon ourselves for Jesus Christ. Aman.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I chose to try my hand at memorizing verses of scripture which I have found not to be as easy as it once was. Psalm 40 verses 1-5 are my scriptures of choice, I pray that God will increase my understanding and give me what I need to enable to put the scriptures to memory and write them on the tables of my heart. Amen!

• 1 month later...

I chose to meditate on Psalm 40

In this psalm is a prayer, an answered prayer and a testimony of God's goodness.

I waited patiently on the Lord, He turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit and set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a new hymn of praise to our God. Blessed is the man who makes the Lord his trust. Many O Lord my God are the wonders you have done. The things you have planned for us, no one can recount to you. Then I said Here I am, I have come. I desire to do your will O my God.I proclaim your righteousness, I speak of your faithfulness and salvation. I do not hide of your love and truth to me. With my lips I boldy proclaim your love, truth and righteousness to all those that have ears to hear. Many hear and put their trust in you. Please Father, do not withhold your mercy from me, may your love and truth always protect me, for troubles without number surround me, forgive my sins, for they are many Dear Lord and my heart weeps that I have grieved you. Please deliver me from the shame and confusion of my transgressions. Come quickly Dear Lord, for I am poor and needy. You are my help and my deliverer. O God please do not delay, be quick to save me. Father all who seek you, rejoice and am glad in you. Those who love your salvation will always say " The Lord be exalted."

• 1 month later...

I CHOSE PSALMS 40 TO MEDITATE ON BECAUSE LATELY IT SEEMS I'D BEEN DEALING WITH ONE CRISIS AFTER ANOTHER, ESPECIALLY WITH FAMILY MEMBERS. THIS PSALM HAS HELPED ME TREMENDOUSLY AS I ALSO HAVE BEEN CRYING OUT TO GOD FOR RESCUE FROM THE MIRY CLAY.I HAVE BEEN SURROUNDED BY TROUBLES FOR A LONG TIME NOW AND HAVE BEEN BROKEN HEARTED NUMEROUS TIMES IN MY LIFE, SO THIS PSALM IS A SOURCE OF COMFORT TO ME. I LOVE VERSES 4 AND 5: BLESSED IS THE MAN WHO MAKES THE LORD HIS TRUST,WHO DOES NOT LOOK TO THE PROUD, TO THOSE WHO TURN ASIDE TO FALSE GODS. MANY, O LORD MY GOD, ARE THE WONDERS YOU HAVE DONE.THE THINGS YOU PLANNED FOR US, NO ONE CAN RECOUNT TO YOU; WERE I TO SPEAK AND TELL OF THEM,THEY WOULD BE TOO MANY TO DECLARE!!!!!!AMEN...GLORY.

• 1 year later...

I just spent six weeks doing Beth Moore's Bible study on the Psalms of Ascent, and part of that lesson was writing out the Psalms as personal prayers. This has blessed me so much that I am inspired to continue doing it with the other Psalms and will do so after I finish these lessons. God cares so much for us, and I am grateful that He gives us the Psalms as model prayers.

• 1 month later...

Exercise. For one of the psalms in this lesson -- or another psalm with a similar theme -- do one of the suggested exercises to help you experience the Psalms (www.jesuswalk.com/psalms/psalms-exercises.htm). These include such things as praying a psalm, meditating, reading to a shut-in, paraphrasing, writing your own psalm, singing, preparing a liturgy, and memorizing. Then report to the forum what the exercise meant to you personally or share what you've written with others. I will like to share that since I've started studing the book of Psalm, it has been such a blessing. God is really revealing his Love for me through the Psalms. I'm understanding more and more each day. His present is always with me. I think God that He place this in my heart to do. Thank you also for sharing you blessed gift to us. God bless

• 1 month later...

EXERCISE - I will pray my prayer of repentance in my quiet time each day this coming week.

• 3 months later...

Exercise. For one of the psalms in this lesson -- or another psalm with a similar theme -- do one of the suggested exercises to help you experience the Psalms (<a href="http://www.jesuswalk.com/psalms/psalms-exercises.htm" target="_blank">www.jesuswalk.com/psalms/psalms-exercises.htm</a>). These include such things as praying a psalm, meditating, reading to a shut-in, paraphrasing, writing your own psalm, singing, preparing a liturgy, and memorizing. Then report to the forum what the exercise meant to you personally or share what you've written with others.

As it is always in God's plan, I had a business meeting canceled this morning, and began to look at the Psalm exercise suggestions. So I decided to ball up a blind friend Chester, to see how he was doing and to read him Psalm 103, on of my favorites. This lead to a discussion about the favorite parts of the Bible we preferred. He likes very much all the stories, like David and Golliwog, Joshua and the battle of Jericho, and Noah and the great flood. I invited Chester to come to our church and he will on Sunday. In the end I was/am thankful that my business meeting was canceled, so I could do this Psalm 103 reading instead.

In earlier Psalm exercises, I wrote my own Psalm of praise to God for creating everything and including us, and for all the good He does for us, sometimes un-noticed. This Bible study has opened my eyes further into the Old Testament.

At Perimeter Church, Duluth GA www.perimeter.org there is an interesting study in progress: "David, Jesus, and me" this study shows that it is better to see how Christ's life and David's have some parallelism. For us to learn how Jesus is our role model, as we look into DAvid's life and its imperfections, we can perhaps eee our own, and ask God for help.

• 6 months later...

Exercise. For one of the psalms in this lesson -- or another psalm with a similar theme -- do one of the suggested exercises to help you experience the Psalms (<a href="http://www.jesuswalk.com/psalms/psalms-exercises.htm" target="_blank">www.jesuswalk.com/psalms/psalms-exercises.htm</a>). These include such things as praying a psalm, meditating, reading to a shut-in, paraphrasing, writing your own psalm, singing, preparing a liturgy, and memorizing. Then report to the forum what the exercise meant to you personally or share what you've written with others.

The psalms that I like from the lesson so far is 40; We have to wait with a good heart for God. He heards our cry out to him. Some time we are in a dark and lonely place and we feel like he is not there but he is hearing our cry to him. When I am going throught God put a song in my heart and it make you dark and lonely time feel so much better and you know that he is there.

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=672

Jon

• 4 weeks later...

meditating on Psalms 40. It is overwhelming to me to think God's thoughts are toward me!! I will continue in that,If His thoughts are continually towards me what should I be doing? Continually seeking Him, but some days are better than others. Thank God for His mercy and grace towards me. Without Him I am nothing.

• 3 months later...

Exercise.

For one of the psalms in this lesson - or another psalm with a similar theme - do one of the suggested exercises to help you experience the Psalms. These include such things as praying a psalm, meditating, reading to a shut-in, paraphrasing, writing your own psalm, singing, preparing a liturgy, and memorizing. Then report to the forum what the exercise meant to you personally or share what you've written with others.

I led a Bible study on these three Psalms. This gave me even deeper insight into His Word, and made me realize how we are completely dependant on our Heavenly Father. When things are going well we tend to take Him for granted and only when in trouble do we turn to Him. Yet He is always there for us