JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Psalm 61

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Psalm 61:1-4) What images does the psalmist evoke to communicate his trust in God's protection? How do the first four verses of this psalm make you feel?

David's close adherence and application to God by prayer in the day of his distress and trouble: " Whatever comes, I will cry unto you, ( Psalm 61:2 ), not to other gods, but to you only,- not fall out with you because you have afflicted me, but still look unto you, and wait upon you,- I will not speak to you in a cold and careless manner, but cry to you with the greatest importunity and fervency of spirit, as one that will not let you go except you bless me."

David's desire and expectation of an answer of peace. He begs in faith ( Psalm 61:1 ): " Hear my cry, O God! attend unto my prayer; that is let me have the present comfort of knowing that I am heard ( Psalm 20:6 ), and in due time let me have that which I pray for."

The ground of this expection, and the plea he uses to enforce his petition ( Psalm 61:3) : " You have been a shelter for me; I found in you a rock Higher than I: therefore I Trust you will still lead me to that rock." Past experience of the benefit of trusting in God, as they should engage us still to keep close to Him, so they should encourage us to hope that it will not be in vain. " You have been my strong tower from the enemy, and you are as strong as ever, and your name is as much a refuge to the righteous as ever it was "( Proverbs 18: 10 )

David's resolution to continue in the way of duty to God and dependence on Him, ( psalm 61:4 ) The service of God shall be his constant work and business. All those must make it so who expect to find their shelter and strong tower: I will abide in your tabernacle for ever. David was now banished from the tabernacle, which was his greatest grievance, but he is assured that God by His providence would bring him back to his tabernacle.

He speaks of abiding in it for ever because that tabernacle was a type and figure of Heaven.

( Heb 9; 8, 9: 9, Heb. 9 : 24 ) Those that dwell in God's tabernacle, as it is a House of duty, during their short time on earth, shall dwell in that tabernacle which is the House of Glory during an endless time. The grace of God and the covenant of grace shall be his constant comfort:

I will make my refuge under the shadow of His wings, as the chickens seek warmth and safety under the wings of the Hen. It makes me feel safe and protected. I know I am abiding in God's Hands and nothing can do harm to me. Praise God

The psalmist sees God as a towering rock a place of security from his enemy, a refuge or strong tower where he can go to get above the situation, and as a shelter where he can hide as a baby chick does under the wings of their mother. This psalm reminds me of a hymn we used to sing that went something like this.

What images does the psalmist evoke to communicate his trust in God's protection? How do the first four verses of this psalm make you feel?

What images does the psalmist evoke to communicate his trust in God's protection?

* A Rock

* Refuge

* A High Tower

* Shelter

* Wings

* Tent

* the dwelling place of God, His house

How do the first four verses of this psalm make you feel?

* They make me feel loved and that in Him everything is gathered up in my life, under the wings of God nothing can harm me. He has taken my enemies and He has blocked them out of my life and the trouble they could cause me will no longer have power over me or against me. Amen!

1) The psalmist sees God as a rock that is higher than him. Not only that, it is also shows as a place of refuge. It shows as the image of a man seeking refuge from his enemyby hiding in the towering rocks of a mountain. He realizes the vulnerability of God, he knows that it is impossible for others to attack with his current position. The image is of a man seeking refuge from his enemy by hiding in the towering rocks of a mountain. He has found a place of concealment but realizes the vulnerability of his position. And so he asks a person to lead him to a rocky prominence that is yet higher up and more difficult to attack than his current position. And so the person leads him up the hidden trail to the higher rock. In the image of God as a place of refuge is a safe place, a place to whihc one can retreat when all hell is breaking loose. He is our source of protection. Moreover, the psalmist also see God as the shelter of our wings where we can also seek him and hide under his wings no matter what the circumstances are.

2) This verses reminds me of the hymn I sang when I was in PCC of "Jesus is the rock" and there is a verse that goes like this -

Q1. (Psalm 61:1-4) What images does the psalmist evoke to communicate his trust in God's protection? How do the first four verses of this psalm make you feel?

[A "rock that is higher than I" connotes strength, protection, position greater than himself.

"Strong Tower agaisnt the foe" further defines refuge.

"I long to dwell in your tent forever" reminds me of being a part of someone's household or family. And as Pastor Ralph explained, intimacy with God.

"I long to take refuge in the shadow of your wing" -- reminds me of being obedient. Running to the shelter of the mother's wing implies also that she has authority over the chick. I see obedience, recognition of authority and trust in that phrase.

I responded to the first four verses of this psalm with a resonating heart. It is good to run to the shelter of God's protective wings. It is good to stand upon the rock and have that peace and security even while the trials of regular, everyday life are in full swing.

(" on Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand, all other ground is sinking sand.")

It is good to be close to God and receive his correction and instruction and be kept safe from the enemy that would kill and steal and destroy. /font]

When we cry out to God, He hears His children. Not only that, He responds and when we are in danger, He covers us (It is important to note that whatever vows we make to Him at the time of our plea must be kept; see Ecc 5:2-4).

It is a great comfort and blessing to know that no matter where we are, Yahweh hears our prayers and will protect and defend us in our distress.

Q1. (Psalm 61:1-4) What images does the psalmist evoke to communicate his trust in God's protection?

Towering Rock of safety NLT = rock speaks of protection strength and stability

Refuge = a strategic place where one can find shelter from enemies

Towers = usually a tall, narrow building used for defense " were used for military purposes; in the case of a siege, people could find protection in them (cf. Jdg 9:51-52).

Tent = image of Moses and God

Q1. (Psalm 61:1-4) What images does the psalmist evoke to communicate his trust in God's protection?

The Psalmist sees God as a rock that's above and he hides in the crevices, protected from the everything that seeks to harm him. He sees God as a shelter, a strong tower a fortress protecting him from his enemies. Under the protection of God Almighty, He find rest in worship and and safety being under the care and protection of God; even as a hen would shield and protect its young.

How do the first four verses of this psalm make you feel?

The first four verses of this psalm gives you a feeling of comfort knowing that you have a God who watches over and has continuous protection over his own.

Q1. (Psalm 61:1-4) What images does the psalmist evoke to communicate his trust in God's protection? How do the first four verses of this psalm make you feel?HE WANTS GOD TO BE HIS ROCK AND STRONG TOWER ..HE KNOWS HE IS PROTECTED BY THE BLOOD.... HOW DOES IT MAKE ME FEEL

...THAT NOTHING CAN EVER HARM ME ..HE WATCHES MY EVERY MOVE AND GUARD MY STEPS..GOD IS FOR ME ALWAYS AND I HAVE NOTHING TO FEAR!

(Psalm 61:1-4) What images does the psalmist evoke to communicate his trust in God's protection?

Attend to my prayer. From the end of the earth I will cry to You, When my heart is overwhelmed; Lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For You have been a shelter for me, A strong tower from the enemy. I will abide in Your tabernacle forever;

I will trust in the shelter of Your wings

The extent of his trust (from the end of the earth), in his most humbled spirit (overwhelmed), meek (lead me to the rock), steadfast and persevere (...have been a shelter, strong tower), faith (trust in the shelter of Your wings).

How do the first four verses of this psalm make you feel? My heart cries with this psalmist. I have been there, searching for God and trusting in Him as I've no other source or resource. He has always been there for me, a rock throughout all of my life and I've been sheltered in His wings and in His arms forever.

What images does the psalmist evoke to communicate his trust in God's protection? How do the first four verses of this psalm make you feel?

1. The rock that is high and mighty (solid)

2. Refuge

3. Strong tower (fortress)

4. Shelter

5. God's dwelling place

6. Wings

When I read this it renews again my awareness of how blessed we are through Jesus who is our Rock. I am reminded of my constant need to be in the Word. When we stray from the Word we stray from the comfort of knowing and being reminded by our incredible Savior through His precious Word of the protection our God provides for us out of His complete and total mercy.

"This Rock is Jesus, Yes He's the One, this Rock is Jesus, the only One. Be very sure, be very sure, your anchor holds and grips the solid Rock."

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

The images the psalmist evokes to communicate his trust in God's protection are;

the rock that is higher than I,

a shelter for me,

a strong tower from the enemy,

I will abide in thy tabernacle,and

covert of thy wings.

These first four verses of his Psalm make me feel God is listening when I call to Him in prayer,no matter where I am or what situation I am experiencing. When life is too much for me,He will take me to Him in spirit for rest,protection,encouragement and comfort in knowing He can be trusted to be there when I need Him.

The first is that God will hear him no matter where he is, I cry from the ends of the earth, to me says that he realizes that he does not need to be in the synagogue. He only needs to call out and the Lord will hear him. The second is saviour, protector from his enemies, His rock of salvation, the third is high tower his place of refuge and safety.

It lets me know that God is there for me and all I need do is like David, cry out to Him no matter where I am in my walk He will hear me and watch over me.

[quote name='Pastor Ralph' post='28560' date='Aug 18 2007, 09:44 PM]Q1. (Psalm 61:1-4) What images does the psalmist evoke to communicate his trust in God's protection? How do the first four verses of this psalm make you feel?

To me they feel like my church friends do now like I am wrapped in the arms of love where no harm can come to me.

The first 4 verses sound like my prayer at night.

In this Psalm the way David cried out is a sign of seeking God for a protection he once knew and felt to be seeking it again. He wants to be lead to on high with God the immovable, impenetrable rock, the strong tower, who can see all enemy approaching and defend. He would like to be a guest in His tent forever, this reminds me of the tabinacle and holy of holies where you would have the Spirit for protection, as people not entering obeying the specific guidelines set down by God would die upon entering the holy of holies. And then we come to imagery of loving protection under His wing like a bird protecting her young.

Its great to know that God is there to call on in the good times and the bad (although it is generally the bad that people call out as their last port of call instead of Him being their first). I feel like David and cry out in frustration for God to listen to me and I wait and I learn some more. I see Him working mightily in those around me healing people, moving people and giving protection, which gives me hope that He is very near and real. And through this learning, I thank Him that he is doing a work in me. It gives me hope that a man of God like David had dry spells and he too had to cry out to God and wait.

david uses the image of a rock of refuge and equals God to it. I can visually see how God is like a fortress of a rock of safety. These images give me peace.
david uses the image of a rock of refuge and equals God to it. I can visually see how God is like a fortress of a rock of safety. These images give me peace.

1. Even though the psalmist is going through struggles, he feels that God is like a high mountain. He may be very high but he is always close enough to protect him from any harm if he calls him. He trusts in his promises that God would never leave him or forsake him.

2. I feel that no matter what goes on in my life, I have the assurance that God will always hear me call and that eventually he will answer me. His ears are always listening to my cries and his wings are covering me in protection. It is just like a parent, who has a baby and she always has an ear open for the cry of her child. She is always there to take care and protect it from harm.

The images are "the rock that is higher than I"; "a strong tower against the foe"; "dwell in your tent forever"; "take refuge in the shelter of your wings".

Feel comforted that God's protection is just a call away. Assurances are given that if we are in trouble, God takes care of us in the best possible way. Amen to that.

The psalmist imagines God's protection as The Rock, Strong and Steady, Unmovable, A place of Safety, A source of Pprotection, A place of Peace and Comfort and a loving security, where he can find closeness in the Lord and know that the intimacy of his protection is ever present.

I feel so protected knowing that God's protection is with me all the days of my life. Without that security I would be lost.

The psalmist see God as the shelter of their wings where they can seek him and hide under his wings no matter what the circumstances they will face. God is the high rock, refuge, strong tower, tent & wings.

I know that God's protection is with me all the days of my life. I have His security and assurance in times of trouble where I can call upon Him for refuge. Knowing that there is no circumstances that is so severe that God can`t overturned in an instant if we chose to seek and asked Him sincerely according to His will. We look at His good pleasure rather than the circumstances we face, knowing that God will work all things together for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose.

I think it shows a man suffering from doubts that GOD is not listening to his call for help and he wants him to know that he loves him.He places GOD as a rock that he can climb into his arms and be compforted and safe.

Sad but hopeful that GOD will answers my prayers even tho I am weak and suffering and to know that he will hear me no matter where I may be on this earth.