JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Psalm 46

Q4. (Psalm 46) How does the imagery of the river and streams in verse 4 function in Psalm 46 to speak peace to the harassed and harried person? Verse 10 tells us: "Be still and know that I am God." How does knowledge of who He is affect our peace? How should it affect our words? Why does He command us to "be still" as a result of this knowledge?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (Psalm 46) How does the imagery of the river and streams in verse 4 function in Psalm 46 to speak peace to the harassed and harried person? Verse 10 tells us: "Be still and know that I am God." How does knowledge of who He is affect our peace? How should it affect our words? Why does He command us to "be still" as a result of this knowledge?

( Psalm 46;4 ) THERE IS A RIVER------ There is no allusion here to any particular stream or river, but the image is designed to represent a state of peace and calm security in contrast with the rough and troubled ocean. While the ocean rages and foams, and dashes against the mountains as if it would overturn them. the state of Jeruslem, the city of God, was well represented by a calm and gently-flowing river; a river of full banks,diffusing joy and fertility and beauty where it flowed. This image, to represent happiness, abundance,peace, joy, is one that is employed in the scripture.

The "idea" is simply that Jerusalem would be calm and serene amidst all the xternal agitation in the world- calm as a gently-flowing stream. The streams- the canal- the water courses of such a river flowing around each dwelling and along each garden, would diffuse happiness and beauty everywhere.

So here, the flowing river of devine mercy and goodness is conveyed, as in smaller canals or streams, to each home and heart, producing peace, calmness, joy-- while the world is full of commotion and trouble.

Shall make glad the city of God-- Jerusalem, considered as the place where God was worshipped, and where He was supposed especially to dwell. ( psalm 48:1 )

( Psalm 46: 10 ) BE STILL!-- The word used here means properly to cast down; to let fall; to let hang down; then, to be relaxed, slackened, especially the hands: It is also employed in the sense of not making an effort; not putting forth exertion; and then would express the idea of leaving matters with God, or being with out anxiety about the issue. Compare ( Exo. 14:13 ) " Stand still, and see the salvation of the God." In this place the word seems to be used as meaning that there was to be no anxiety; that there was to be a calm, confiding, trustful state of mind in view of the desplays of the devine presence and power.The mind was to be calm, in view of the fact that God had interposed and had showen He was able to defend His people when surrounded by dangers.

And know that I am God- See, in what I have done, the evidence that I am God. See a work accomplished which none" but" God could effect. ( Isa. 37: 36 )

I WILL BE EXALTED AMONG THE HEATHEN--- I WILL BE EXALTED IN THE WHOLE EARTH-- That is among the nations. The nations abroad that do not worship me, but worship idols, shall see in these deeds full proof that I am the true God, and that I am worthy of universal adoration, ( Dan4:37 )

( Exo. 9:16 ) ( Rom. 9:17 )

The harrassed & harried person has distubances in his river. The river and its streams that flow gives new life & power & joy.

As we learn more & more about God & His attributes, we cannot help but feel peaceful. He is in control. He knows everything. He loves us.

Our words should be worshipful words--praising Him.

When we are not still we cannot see His glory, see Him at work around us.

RIVER AND STREAMS ARE LIKE A METAPHOR FOR WHEN A PERSON HAS BAD TIMES AND ALSO GOD TIMES..GOD IS THE RIVER OF LIFE.... HE IS THE AUTHOR OF OUR LIFE FROM START TO FINISH

WE HAVE TO BE STILL AND SIT BACK AND WATCH GOD WORK IN OUR LIVES.

JUST KNOWING HE IS OUR HEAVENLY FATHER ..WE KNOW WE WILL BE SAFE HE LOVES AND GUIDES US WE ARE IN HIS HANDS;;;;NO HARM WILL EVER COME TO US EVER!

1) In verse 4 of Psalm 46, it is in the middle of the turmoil, the scene shifts to a river, a stream that flows in the midst of the "city of God." The verse says "ther is a river whose sream make glad the city of God, the holy place where the Most High dwells." This brings the same feling as the "stll waters" of Psalm 23:2. The imagery brings an image of refreshment, of life and of peace. The imagery used here shows that our life can have a new life just like the river flowng from the top mountains to the lower part. Our life is just like a wheel, as it turns round and round, where sometimes we are walking in the darkness and sometimes we ar walking in the light This sence of water, shows the how clear and pure God's love for us.

2) The praise "be still and know that I am God" in verse 10 shows that we need to remind once ourself that He is the mighty God that we serve. He is the one that provide us with everything. Just like, we need to commit our faith unto the Lord and know that He has died on the cross. We need to acknowledge Him that he is above all things. We need to know that in spite of all the chaos around us, the one who is with us is always God himself. He is the authority, and has the power, the might and nothing can withstand him.

3) Once we have a "be still" heart, it should bring peace into our life. We should have a passion and worship heart for God. We should life up his name and live for him.

4) As I have said, we need to have a "be still" heart because we can hear God's calling and have a successful life.

The ``river whose streams shall make glad the city of God`` may allude to the tunnel that King Hezekiah built to guarantee a continous water supply for Jerusalem in times of war. The tunnel carried water from the Gihon spring outside the city to a cistern inside the walls. So when invading armies besieged Jerusalem, the unstoppable stream of water made the whole city glad.

Likewise, God makes His people glad through His continous presence. His protection flows like a river out of His lasting commitment to those who honor Him.

Verse 10 We can almost hear the din as mighty armies bear down on God`s people, perhaps besieging Jerusalem itself. Yet, hope, courage, and defiance spring from the certainty of God`s presence. The scene builds to a climax until silence suddenly descends. The: `Be Still and know that I am God` - That`s God`s promise. He will do it, even as He destroyed Israel enemies. Only He can do it. God will be exalted and that is the hope of the world.

Be still knowing that God is our refuge, strength and help:

God`s protection provides reassurance in a tumultuous world.

God`s presence provides an immovable defense in a hostile world.

God`s peace deserves worship and priase through out the world.

In this life we will encounter all sorts of trouble and tormoils but there is a rock on which we can stand. For God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Some people look for high walls and strong gates as a fortress for their protection but God is our fortress our rock and shield. We that are His should not fear of the situation around us for God is in our midst, and He will conquer whatever violent disturbances we may encounter. God says He will never leave us nor forsake us He will be there to deliver us and in the midst give us peace, His peace that passes all understanding.

Psalm 46:4-5;

There is a river, the streams whereof shall make glad the city of God.

The city of God was threatened by neighboring nations, but the inhabitants of Jerusalem were calmly trusting God for protection. Ever since the Garden of Eden God has always had a river to bring peace to His own.

It is "The River of God's Grace" ; David the psalmist was so certain of God's grace in bringing about victory that he exclaims, God shall help her, and that right away.

(10). Be still, and know that I am God.

These words are not address to those that bring us trouble or situations that comes up against us where we don't see no way out. God is talking to His own saying don't be afraid, fret, or worry this battle is mine not yours, you have done all you can do.

Stand still and let Him work, stand still and see the Salvation of the Lord. Oh what joy it brings when we are confronted with a problem which has no solution, and yet God works it out for our good and His Glory! All we have to do is stand still and watch the mighty hand of God intently. It is then that we too know and can say "The Lord of hosts is with us, the God of Jacob is our refuge.

The rivers and streams are images of refreshment, of life, of peace. They are a picture of a place where one can put everything else aside, relax, and find peace knowing that God is in total control. He is the creator, the sustainer and He is more than capable of supplying or meeting our every need. I feel that His command to

God is in the midst; God is not an absentee deliverer. He is always present regardless od what life throws our way. God lives with His people. His protection can be counted on.

"Be still and know that I am God". The call is not only a call for stillness before God, preparation for worship but impendindg judgement. God will be exalted. All the earth will bow before Him. Knowing who affect our peace gives us calmness in the midst of a storm. When we are going through a storm the middle seem to be the worst. It is very comforting to know that God is right there in the midst. What a mighty God we serve!

It should affect our word to the point that we speak the WORD with confident. There is life and death in the power of the tongue. As a result of this knowledge we realize truly who God is. We can, "Be still and know that He is God."

I just love the WORD of GOD! WHAT A COMFORT TO KNOW HE IS ALWAYS PRESENT.

The rivers and streams are life and cause me to call out to the Lord as the Creator of life. It is in Him that there is peace.

It is interesting that James tells us that we should be slow to speak (1:19). It is a tongue that is quick to speak that often causes incredible wrath between believers. It is better to shut up and wait upon the Lord. It is in our silence that we will soon hear His still small voice and then be able to resolve an issue or answer a question, in the Spirit. The result will always be peace.

In comparison to all the caotic happenings in the other verses,these streams and river are calm and reassuring that God is with us and He is in control. Like in Psalm 23 that says,He leadeth me beside still waters.

When we realize who God is,it gives us peace,we know we can trust Him even in the midst of the storms of life.

We should speak words of comfort and peace to bless others and ourselves.

He commands us to be still because it is in getting quiet and thoughtful that God can speak to us. We cannot hear God with noise and other things going on around us.

The river gives us life beside the still waters refreshing us. Peaceful to me includes love not as the world knows it, but patterening after Christ. My words can either plant a seed or harrow the ground in a destructive way. I love peace. I can "be still" knowing God is on his throne and he's in control. I can then rest in his love.

:rolleyes:

Q4. (Psalm 46)

How does the imagery of the river and streams in verse 4 function in Psalm 46 to speak peace to the harassed and harried person?

It brings the same feeling as the "still waters" of Psalm 23:2. It is an image of refreshment, of life, of peace. We see this same fabled river pictured in Ezekiel 47 flowing out from under the threshold of the temple and flowing down to bring life to whatever it touches. In Revelation 22 it flows in the Heavenly City.

The water of life is to refresh you, to sustain you in trouble. It is God's provision for you, though outside of the City of God there is clamor.

Verse 10 tells us: "Be still and know that I am God." How does knowledge of who He is affect our peace?

In spite of all the chaos round about, the One who is with us is God himself. He is the Authority. He is the Power. He is the Might. Nothing can withstand Him!

How should it affect our words? Why does He command us to "be still" as a result of this knowledge?

The ultimate source of peace in this troubled world is a clear vision of who God is and faith that He is completely in charge. Outside life may be full of confusion, but in God's presence -- in the City of God, in his Hiding Place, in the Shelter of the Most High -- there is peace. There is rest -- for you!

It shows us that in God, we will be provided with all our needs. We may not have all our wants but the things that God provides will keep us in communion with Him and on the right path. In God our peace will come as we are at rest in His great Glory. We will be safe and healthy not worring about the struggles of this life but giving Him the praise for the new life He alone can provide.

He is our peace in Him we have the rest from trouble and pain. He is our protector and provider alone in Him we find true peace and not the kind that this world offers. It should bring out our praise for the God of heaven who has everything in His hands and controls all the heavens and earth. Our words should be of thanksgiving and praise, worship to the one who is Holy and reverant to the God of all life.

Only when we are still can the Spirit workin our hearts letting us know the plan the Lord has for each of us. As we are still the Spirit speaks to our hearts and we become more alive in Christ seeking the ways that He would have us to walk. Our words should be of leading other who are not in the faith that they too can come to a plae where the Grace of God is recieved into every heart.

1. You may be in the middle of a storm or confusion, but when you reach the river and streams, you realize that where God is, there must be peace.

2. If we would only stop and be still, we would realize that God has all power and can handle anything, we then know that we can have peace in any situation.

3. If we know who God is and what he can do, we are assured that He is in control of everything..

4. I know that if I praise Him and constantly remind my that God is in charge, not me alone.

5. He commands us to "be still" and don't worry-just trust Him, who is all powerful.

God is the calm in the storm. Even though the world around us is falling down, He is there, He is the only thing that stays the same (being still). He is unchanging, He is the same God today as yesterday. We could blame God for not stopping turmoil around us, but it was man that started it. God wants us to be still so we can see God in the things around us, see through the turmoil and rely on Him. We have our Lord when times are tough, He is our stronghold.

How does the imagery of the river and streams in verse 4 function in Psalm 46 to speak peace to the harassed and harried person?

* It speaks of joy; Here is the meaning of joy in the Vine,

NT:5479

chara (khar-ah'); from NT:5463; cheerfulness, i.e. calm delight:

KJV - gladness, X greatly, (X be exceeding) joy (-ful, -fully, -fulness, -ous).

NT:5463

chairo (khah'-ee-ro); a primary verb; to be "cheerful", i.e. calmly happy or well-off; impersonally, especially as salutation (on meeting or parting), be well:

KJV - farewell, be glad, God speed, greeting, hall, joy (-fully), rejoice.

What the author is saying here is, " but if you will get into this river of joy, then you will find contentment, a place of protection, a silent as the storm passes by".

Verse 10 tells us: "Be still and know that I am God." How does knowledge of who He is affect our peace?

* There are two effects in our faith walk;

1) turmoil, strife, bitterness, rejection, en stability due to the insecurities in the storms along with situations in our lives to last longer than they should

2) joy, safety, trust, mercy, grace, security, stance, a quick moving of the spirit to move on pass, and seeing how God answered faster than before.

In my own life I have learned that if I stand still before Him, choose that place of peace, waiting upon Him to answer, the storm or thing moves on by with the right answer. By doing this, I have found that His way is higher than my ways and His thoughts are higher than my thoughts. The answer may of been different than mine, but I have found peace, joy and comfort in knowing His is always right and I find I always win, I never lose.

How should it affect our words?

* We should be going from the negative to the positive. Faith words, that's all we should learn to speak is faith words.

Negatives will keep us in our wilderness, example look into your wilderness experiences!

Why does He command us to "be still" as a result of this knowledge?

* In this stillness there is a retreat, a place of rest. We are to war in the spirit not the flesh and this is one of the greatest weapons we can use.

To war like this is to create a shield, this shield will protect us from the artillery of the enemy, then we are not wounded as we have been by the works of our flesh and the lack of our faith.

The river would be a vision of the power of God: of peace, life and refreshment. That vision would reassure a troubled soul. When we stop and remember that nothing is more powerful than God we will have a sense of peace. If we do that we won't be out of control, we can be of help to others instead of needing help ourselves.

River here was being referred to be God. A river is know for sustaining people

(Psalm 46) How does the imagery of the river and streams in verse 4 function in Psalm 46 to speak peace to the harassed and harried person? Water is the refreshment of the Holy Spirit and is found in the Word, it brings us peace and sustains us, His word is our provision to carry us through while all crumbles around us.

Verse 10 tells us: "Be still and know that I am God." How does knowledge of who He is affect our peace? He is totally in charge and trusting in him wholly brings us peace and satisfaction, He is ALL we need. Knowing that He is God is grace in action, it happens when you move the knowledge of grace into your heart and then live it.

How should it affect our words? Why does He command us to "be still" as a result of this knowledge? Sometimes we get in God's way because we think we know what should be happening, but truly sometimes we just get in God's way and so He tells us to "be still" - get out of His way, stop trying to control who God is and trying to conform Him into the image of what you want him to be. Let God be God and you be you - God knows.

• 3 weeks later...

1. The imagery of river & streams makes us feel safe & secure in the midst of chaos & turmoil;refreshes us & fills our mind with great peace;& above all reminds us that we are continually being sustained by His water of life! It will never run dry inspite of the magnitude of our circumstances; as its source is in our Eternal God!

2.'Knowing God' enables us to be still & put our confidence & trust In Him.When we dwell in His presence & seek His face & enjoy intimacy with Him our faith in God is stregthened & we are filled with courage & boldness.We are able to see God as our supreme Authority, Power,Might for whom nothing is impossible!

Once we are able to get the right perspective of who God is & abide with Him,then our confidence & trust in Him will grow more & more; we will not panic in times of need but will be able to trust Him for our protection & help.We will be able to be still in His presence as chicks are still under the wings of the mother hen!

3. We will begin to speak words of hope & faith based on God's promises .

4. We are commanded to be still so that we learn to relax & let go of all our fears & trust God completely & allow Him to work on our behalf.

The imagery of verse 4 reminds us of God's refreshment and peace on our lives. It serves as a metaphor for the continual outpouring of the sustaining and refreshing blessings of God. The imagery of the river reminds us of God's provision for us. This gives us hope of peace when we (or others) are harassed, we can be reminded of God's love, provision and restoration upon our lives. Be still and know that I am God - the call for stillness before the Lord is not a preparation for worship but for impending judgement. God will be exalted. Allthe earth will bow before Him. We are called to still ourselves (despite the chaos), still our fears and worries about our circumstances.

The imagery of the river and streams in verse 4 functions as symbols of God's restoration and refreshment of the soul leading to individual peace when facing troubles and obversity.

Knowing that God is in control and ultimately works everything for good in the lives of those that love and fear Him, brings great peace and contentment. This should cause us to be still (be quiet, no words), before God. Being still permits God to our God and causes us to focus on Him.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Its like a calming effect of a river that just moves along slowly to its destination. It just gives you peace. By knowing who God is gives us peace by knowing that everything is in his hands, nothing is to big or small for him. Our words should be calming and nice not hurtful. We should be still so we can hear what is being said to us.