JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. (Psalm 126). In this psalm, the nation is going through some kind of crisis. How does memory of God's deliverance in verses 1-3 prepare them for the prayer of verse 4? How do you understand the two metaphors of deliverance: (1) a wadi or dry gully and (2) sowing and reaping? How do these metaphors help you in your situation?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (Psalm 126). In this psalm, the nation is going through some kind of crisis. How does memory of God's deliverance in verses 1-3 prepare them for the prayer of verse 4?

In verses 1-3 they are rejoicing and praising God for bringing them back to their homeland. They have experienced God's power, his faithfulness and his love for them. This has motivated them to asked God to restore their land, their properties and bring them to flourish in prosperity once more.

How do you understand the two metaphors of deliverance: (1) a wadi or dry gully and (2) sowing and reaping?

A wadi or dry gully is always ready to receive a fresh flood of water which when overflows into the dry desert brings a harvest of beautiful flowers. To reap a harvest one must faithfully plant for which he wants to harvest.

How do these metaphors help you in your situation?

It says that in spite of the situations, continue to be faithful in ministry and let God provide the harvest.

• 2 weeks later...
Q3. (Psalm 126). In this psalm, the nation is going through some kind of crisis. How does memory of God's deliverance in verses 1-3 prepare them for the prayer of verse 4? How do you understand the two metaphors of deliverance: (1) a wadi or dry gully and (2) sowing and reaping? How do these metaphors help you in your situation?

(# 1 ) When the days of Babylonish bondage were fully run, what transport of joy thrilled through Israel's sons! Their minds were almost bewildered by the grand event. The good tidings seemed almost as the mocking of an illusive vision of the night. So when deliverence from Satan's yoke is realized, what floods of delight overpower the soul! We were born captives in the devil's prison-house, But when Jesus comes and grants liberty we awake to a new world of happiness. We breathe the air of freedom. We exualt with joy unspeakable and full of Glory.

When the heat of summer burns, many torrents show dry channels. The cattle thristing for refreshing waters, are mocked with empty beds. But when the rain returns, their channels are again replenished, and gladness smiles beside their banks. So when the days of banishment are passed. the captives move homeward with delight. May the Lord speedily bring this joy to those who groan beneath Satan's cruel yoke!

( # 2 & 3 ) How do you understand the two metaphors of deliverance: (1) a wadi or dry gully and (2) sowing and weaping? How do these metaphors help you in your situations?

An image from rustic life gives comfort. The husbandman in hopeful toil casts the seed into the furrows. Months pass and there is no sign of life. In due season spring returns. The fields again are clad with verdure. Summer glows with riping rays. The harvest is gathered in amid full shouts of joy. So a longperiod of dreary waiting flees in shouts of fervent joy.............. May this be speedily our glad experience.

( Palm 126 ) Gives two answers to the dilemma of struggle. First, a prayer that God will suddenly deliver as He has done in teh past. And second, that if we continue our labor in faith, He will bring the inevitable harvest, and with it deliverance and joy. Come Lord Jesus.!

1) As you have noticed in verses 1-3, there are exuberance of praises such -- laughter, songs of joy. Their nations are amazed, too, and attribute this to God. The psalmist immediately agrees. "The LORD has done great things for us! A similar sentiment is expressed by David in Psalm 30. They have been praising God for bringing them back to their town. God has been faithful to them and had shown mercy to them. This verses had prepared them to be ready to see that the walls were broken down and the beautiful Temple of Solomon are completely destroyed. However, they know that God is with them and will be helping them, thus, they asked God to "Restore our fortunes, O LORD, like streams in the Negev." (126:4)

2) Wadi is the stream in the Negev desert. This metaphors is saying that even the wadi is dry most of the year but when there are heavy rains, a flash flood cna occur which these wadis can fill to overflowing within minutes with torrents of water. And the parched desert will be covered with a carpet of colorful wildflowers. This is showing us that with God's help everything is possible. If it is God's will, he will make miracles to happen to save you from troubles.

3) Plowing and sowing represent a great deal of labor, a labor of hope. Psalm has used this metaphor to give as an encouragement to the people who is seeking God's deliverance from a great oppresion. It is a time of struggle, a time of weeping, a time of heart-wrenching trial. He is saying that later they will have cause for joy.

4) These metaphors can help me just as simple as: first, a prayer that God will suddenly deliver as he has done in the past. and second, that if we continue our labor in faith, he will bring the inevitable harvest, and with it deliverance and joy.

THE LORD WILL GRANT THEM RESTORATION ..BECAUSE HE DONE IT ONCE!

GOD WILL DELIVER YOU FROM ANYTHING

AND YOU WAIT ENOUGH AND BELIEVE ..YOU WILL GET A MIGHTY HARVEST!

Looking back on what God has done, encourages you that He can & will do it again!! (In His timing!)

I believe the waters in the Negev could be the dry times in our lives & we get a fresh filling of the Holy Spirit. Sowing in tears, reaping in joy--could be the tears we shed in praying for the salvation of our loved ones, reaping in joy as they experience salvation; and those who weep, their hearts hurting for those who do not know Him, will one day see a joyful harvest!!

I need to make the burden for the lost to grow in myself--to see others as He sees them and serve them through Him.

Q3. (Psalm 126). In this psalm, the nation is going through some kind of crisis. How does memory of God's deliverance in verses 1-3 prepare them for the prayer of verse 4?

In verses 1-3 they are rejoicing and praising God for bringing them back to their homeland. They have experienced God's power, his faithfulness and his love for them. This has motivated them to asked God to restore their land, their properties and bring them to flourish in prosperity once more.

How do you understand the two metaphors of deliverance: (1) a wadi or dry gully and (2) sowing and reaping?

A wadi or dry gully is always ready to receive a fresh flood of water which when overflows into the dry desert brings a harvest of beautiful flowers. To reap a harvest one must faithfully plant for which he wants to harvest.

It says that in spite of the situations, continue to be faithful in ministry and let God provide the harvest.

[/quote

Well Said!

Prior to my deliverance I was lost in the cesspool of drug/alcohol, fornication and many others addictions. My life was a dry and barren land with no hope of quenching my thirst. When delivered at the hand of Jesus, I experienced joy unspeakable, I was fully of glory, refreshed and made new.

Now, as I walk the pilgrim pathway, I find that I still must go through the dry times as I work to crucify my flesh, and it's desire to go back to the sin that it craves. It is then that I must recall that eventful time of my initial deliverance, and the feeling of life that I received, the living water. At that moment I drop to my knees and sow seeds of prayer that my loving Father would restore me anew, knowing that I will soon reap great joy and victory!

They knew God was (and is) capable of anything and that God looks out for their every need (providing it is in the His plan) they have seen it in the past and given praise. They ask in faith that this will once again happen. They want ask that it may happen quickly as the river rise during a desert storm. It could even be a time of waiting for the full harvest to come, that it all happen in Gods time. In things are happening in my life I need to lift them up in prayer, praise Him for the things He has done in the past for me, and wait for Gods perfect timing, while I keep labouring on for Him.

This is a time of restoration for Jerusalem following the Babylonians captivity. Some waited a long time: an entire lifetime. It was a time of laughter and joy, of rejoicing in God's salvation.

The memory of God's deliverance prepared them for prayer. It is the beginning of the prayer that God would complete the restoration of his people to their land. This is really a prayer of the coming Jesus, who will complete God's work among his people. We may be in a situation with no hope and tears. God hears our cry and comes to our rescue. Our sorrow can reap tremendous rewards. Upon their return to Jerusalem and Judah they were reaping a harvest of rejoicing. This gives us hope in what might seem like a hopeless situation in our eyes.

God alwyas comes to the rescue of his humble people. He comes in a way that is BEST for us.

Q3. (Psalm 126). In this psalm, the nation is going through some kind of crisis. How does the memory of God's deliverance in verses 1-3 prepare them for the prayer of verse 4?

In this psalm, the nation is going through some kind of crisis. How does the memory of God's deliverance in verses 1-3 prepare them for the prayer of verse 4?

* The statement the "Lord has done great things for us" brings them into mind of their past with God. Remembering how He brought them out and turn their poverty into riches unknown to man at that time. It even caused the nations to look in wonder and even fear them.

When we recall the past of wonderful things God has done we gain faith, hope and trust in Him. We believe that once again He will show mercy and restore to us what we seem to have lost.

In thinking of their crisis for their nation, puts me in mind of our nation and so I too pray also;

"Restore our fortunes, O LORD, like streams in the Negev."

Fortunes not only refers to money, but freedom, stability, integrity, sovereignty, good laws, God's protection, a land that stand and say's "In God We Trust".

We need God to do this just as much today for America, as even Israel does today.

1) a wadi or dry gully'

* When we are spiritually dry it is just like a wadi or dry gully and it stops the rain of the Holy Spirit. Our souls cry out from drought and our lives show lack in every form.

This is the cry of the people here, they saw when things were good and their land was prospering.

2) sowing and reaping;

* When we give God the praise daily in our lives, then daily He loads up with His benefits.

If we plant in our lives a place of worship and we go to that field in our hearts everyday and we commit our day to Him, we rely upon him in our daily activities, we walk in His commandants and ways, then a harvest from heaven will come so that the windows of blessings will overflow in our lives as the "rains have come to overflow the wadi or dry gully".

* To recall His goodness, to walk in His ways and forever praise Him!

1. In verses 1-3, the people can't help but remember how the Lord brought them through their struggles. It was like a dream to them, but they still had hope that God would keep his promises. No matter what, they could sing and laugh because they still trusted Him.

2. A wadi was when they were struggling through and all seems dry and gloomy, but as long we are patient and wait, and we keep praying and praising God, He will bring us through.

3. It shows me that as long as I continue to trust in God no matter how long it takes or what I have to go through, He will be there to deliver me.

They are rejoicing that God has delivered them from their captures and they rejoice knowing that He will continue to bless them if they call out to Him in praise and worship. I think that they are talking about the fast moving water, God has delivered them in a short time and they are greatful to Him and seeking to be further blessed with power over their enemies and problems. The sowing is a labor of love they must rebuild and as they plant seed for food they must also labor to rebuild all they lost due to their sin in praise and worship toward God.

As I go through life I must learn as they did that God will bless those He choses and will punish those He see fit to punish. As I learn to live giving my best to God He is faithful and just to correct me when I stray and bless me when I am faithful.

We are going through exile. Remembering God's restoration to people of Israel. The song of ascents is a mixture of high praise and then the lament. This high praise carry us and verse 4 is a prayer and promise of restoration by God. Praise must come first before we can carry on with prayers. Weeping comes before reaping...a wadi or dry gully reperesents the dry spell we must go through until we receive the blessing.

:rolleyes:

Q3. (Psalm 126). In this psalm, the nation is going through some kind of crisis.

How does memory of God's deliverance in verses 1-3 prepare them for the prayer of verse 4?

They remember the joy of God letting them be freed from exile and returning to their homeland. This memory keeps fresh in their mind the power to God to help them in the crisis they are having now as they feel overwhelmed with the job of rebuilding the wall.

• The psalmist is calling on the Lord to miraculously turn things around for them, to deliver them as quickly as the dry wadis can be filled with raging water. Do it like that, O Lord! he prays. Our return to Jerusalem after decades of captivity was quick and unexpected like a desert storm. He is asking the Lord to quickly restore their lives as they used to be before the exile.
  • The psalmist advises his hearers to continue faithfully doing the right thing; God will bring the answer in due time. I understand this as related to planting a garden. You plant and wait a while before the harvest. We must be patient.

• The quick turn around when things are not going well is really a treat but often we need to sow the seed and be patient as we wait.

:P

How does memory of God's deliverance in verses 1-3 prepare them for the prayer of verse 4?

It reminds them of God`s faithfulness and assurance that He is fully capable of taking care of the present and future situations they will face. They can seek Him knowing that He hears and He will answer.

a). a wadi or dry gully - when we are spiritually dry, our souls cry out from drought and God is faithful to make things right and will bring the answer in due time. We must be patient.

B) sowing and reaping - when we give God the praise everyday , He will loads us up with His benefits and will reap us with the harvest that we have sowed. We need to sow the seed and be patient as I wait.

It shows me that as long as I continue to trust in Him, no matter what circumstances I`m facing , He will deliver me. He knows and understands every situation I face and that in His own time and in His own way He will carry me through and bring me to the pass with peace and understandingl

Q3. (Psalm 126). In this psalm, the nation is going through some kind of crisis. How does the memory of God's deliverance in verses 1-3 prepare them for the prayer of verse 4? How do you understand the two metaphors of deliverance: (1) a wadi or dry gully and (2) sowing and reaping? How do these metaphors help you in your situation?

God did not forget His people, even though they were in captives. He planned to give them a new beginning with a new purpose- to turn them into new people. In times of dire circumstances, it may appear as though God has forgotten you. But God may be preparing you, as He did the people of Judah, for a new beginning with Him at the center.

God

God had been so good to them that they were like men who were dreaming. By remembering this it gave them hope that God would do it again and they were able to ask God for help in prayer.

They were asking God to quickly help them just as a stream quickly could be filled the fast moving water, to refresh them quickly. If they remained steadfast they knew God would hear and answer their prayers.

These metaphors help me remember that if I remain steadfast that God can turn things around for me. I remember someone who was going through a terrible tragedy one time say, "when you can't do anything else you can stand up for God." Today they are more devoted to God than ever before. I don't think I"ll ever forget that.

The memory of God's deliverance in verses 1-3 prepare them for the prayer of verse 4 because they remember God's glorious deliverance before and that gives them faith He can and will do it again.

The two metaphors of deliverance is a time of trial or testing represented by a wadi.We have to walk by faith in these times and if we keep sowing faith and service to God, we will reap the reward of our faith in God's perfect timing.

These metaphors help me in my situation by strengthening my faith that I can rely on God to deliver me from my trials and burdens and bring times of blessing once again!

(Psalm 126). In this psalm, the nation is going through some kind of crisis. How does the memory of God's deliverance in verses 1-3 prepare them for the prayer of verse 4? The prayer is that God has done and is further able, to deliver them again in this great time of oppression.

How do you understand the two metaphors of deliverance: (1) a wadi or dry gully and (2) sowing and reaping? Circumstances can change in a moment or they can change over time - both are delivereance, however we must know and believe that God's hand is in all things and in His time, our circumstances will change.

How do these metaphors help you in your situation? Waiting upon the Lord is probably one of the most difficult things a person of faith can do. If we though, review our past trials and tribulations and the associated triumphs and victories, we can be assured that God is working things out for His greater glory. Sometimes we think or may get stuck in the rut that it's all about us - when in this delusion we must be humbled to return to our first love, God and that this is really all about Him, His plan for redemption and world salvation and the return of His son.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The nation knows that the Lord will answer their prayer of restoration from past experience and based on the promises God made to them. Thus, the preparation for the prayer in verse 4.

A wadi is dry until the rains come and the wadi fills rapidly and overflows onto the surrounding desert. Almost overnight the parched desert will be covered with a carpet of colorful wildflowers. Thus is it with God's blessings and restoration in the lives of His saints in answer to their prayers.

Sowing and reaping can best be expressed in the following scripture verses:

"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." (Galatians 6:9)

"Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain." (1 Corinthians 15:58).

• 3 weeks later...

The people were remembering how the Lord delivered them in previous times and now is asking Him to do the same. They were in need of deliverance. I must remember that as long as I am faithful, God will bless-in His time. Whatever I sow I am going to reap. If I sow goodness and faithfulness and things honoring to God He will bless.